Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What else is there besides Star Trek Discovery?
Look at CBS.com, there are a few other series available per subscription. It makes me wonder what CBS’s long term plan is, eventually abandon public broadcasting?
[doublepost=1535923671][/doublepost]
I just put on the last episode of DISCO S1 since I hadn't seen it since earlier this year.

While watching it and looking at the USS Discovery, NCC-1031, a Crossfield-class starship and recalling how at the end of the episode they meet up with Captain Pike of the USS Enterprise, NCC-1701, a Constitution-class starship, I had a thought.

WHAT IF, and I mean what if, toward the end of the series run of DISCO (whenever that may be), they reveal that the whole ship (and its sister ship the USS Glenn - now destroyed in a Spore Drive accident), crew, and its associated technologies had been sent back in time from a different period? Perhaps it was a part of the Federations plan to either win the Klingon war or to make peace with them. Perhaps they went back in time as an exception or even in violation of the Temporal Prime Directive.

When we think about it, the design of the Crossfield-class compared to the Constitution-class ships of what appears to be the same time period, the USS Discovery is far more advanced in every sense and style. I get it that TOS was made in the 1960's and DISCO is now, and design and production elements are vastly different now. But to make a new Star Trek today and put it in the setting of TOS timeline with this design and technology is a bit odd.

The non-existence of the Spore Drive in TOS, TAS, TNG, VOY, DS9 and ENT could be explained if DISCO were actually from the far future in the Star Trek timeline.

You heard it here first.
I’ll try to remember and give you credit! :D
I just canceled my CBSAA subscription until next year. It’s definitely cheaper to subscribe than to buy per episode.

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
Look at CBS.com, there are a few other series available per subscription. It makes me wonder what CBS’s long term plan is, eventually abandon public broadcasting?
Thanks I will check it out. My brother-in-law works for AT&T and he said this current TV will eventually be replaced with a la carte offerings like CBS All Access. If that is true or not I don't know.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks I will check it out. My brother-in-law works for AT&T and he said this current TV will eventually be replaced with a la carte offerings like CBS All Access. If that is true or not I don't know.
What the cable companies need is ala-carte pricing. We probably watch 10 channels regularly but are stuck with 100+. I already tried to cut the cable, but my wife threw a wrench in that plan because we could not get reliable football broadcasts over 3 networks. Now she is a bit disgruntled with football, not because of the protests, so we might try to cut it again.

See this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cutting-the-cable-guide.2009652/

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
What the cable companies need is ala-carte pricing. We probably watch 10 channels regularly but are stuck with 100+. I already tried to cut the cable, but my wife threw a wrench in that plan because we could not get reliable football broadcasts over 3 networks. Now she is a bit disgruntled with football, not because of the protests, so we might try to cut it again.

See this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cutting-the-cable-guide.2009652/
I let my wife pick the TV package since she is home more than I am. I use DirecTV Now which is cool. I agree with a la carte pricing. With all the options out there I should be able to pick what channels I want and pay for them only. Thanks I'll check out that thread.

Reactions: Huntn

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
For those who haven't seen Discovery yet, at least check out the show's intro theme. I absolutely love it. I especially love the musical homage it pays to TOS. (I even sense a bit of Game of Thrones intro, too).

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Season 2 started on 18Jan19 in the States. As some of you know, I am visiting France, and there on Netflix is the entire Season 1 for watching along with the first couple of Season 2 Episodes. That was the deal for Europe and this show, yes? I’m a little miffed. :p I don’t want to watch these cause I’ll be home on Saturday, then I’ll wait till there is one month left and subscribe to CBS All Access for a month.
[doublepost=1548878905][/doublepost]
Please let me know when DVD (to buy) becomes available in Region 2 (apparently, it is - or will be - available fairly soon in region 1).
I found Season 1, 15 episodes on Amazon France for BlueRay disks, $25 euros. It’s $35 in the States on Amazon Video (streaming), and on iTunes (streaming), and $30 on DVD at Amazon (US).

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just rewatched Season 1:Episode 1- beautifully filmed as well as riveting. I don’t think I can get 14 more episodes watched before we return home... o_O

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I just rewatched Season 1:Episode 1- beautifully filmed as well as riveting. I don’t think I can get 14 more episodes watched before we return home... o_O
Try if you can. Season 2, episode 1 is freely available on YouTube at the CBS All Access channel.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Up to S1:E5 (rewatching)- With the focus on the Klingon-Federation war in season one, I think serialized was the way to go and since the war is resolved by the end of the season, no fear of of the story being cut off prematurely. If you think about it, for most cases it would be better if in serialized story telling that when the main plot of the current season is wrapped up by the end of the season, there is no fear that the ending will be short changed as has happened in some other serialized shows.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Yeah, slowly they morph into something more recognizable albeit less intriguing (at least for me).
One thing I've noticed in episode 3 was the way several opening shots were done. I can not remember any previous episodes where the opening shots were so often initially flipped by 90 or more degrees only to slowly rotate to the usual framing. A nice way of reminding us it's happening in space where up/down is not exactly defined - and it also gives this hint of "something is happening, do they see it for real or is it their imagination?". Especially as the crew becomes slightly delusive.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Season 1, what I like about it:

• It’s not neat and tidy.
  • Alll out War, suited well to serialized narrative.
  • Good moral dilemmas.
  • Character dynamics all stellar.
  • Lorca and Tyler- tortured souls.
  • Burnam- finds redemption.
  • Saru-stumbles but finds his way.
  • Tilley- finds confidence.
  • Stamets- undergoes a radical personality shift.
  • Mud- A good ole Star Trek Character.
  • Sarek- outstanding Vulcan.
  • Wonderful Klingons
  • Drastically opposed characters from someplace else.
  • R rated Language and gore infrequently.
  • Outstanding time loop episode.
  • The Multiverse.
  • Suprisng plot twists!
I’ve not started season 2 yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I watched Season 2, Episodes1&2 and a significant change of pace, much more like Star Treks that came before it and a higher feel good, levity quotient. Not saying it’s bad, just different. My first impression is that it will be good, but hard to beat Season 1.

I needed a Capt Pike refresher: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...ptain-of-the-enterprise-played-by-anson-mount

In STD, he reminds me of the Abbramsverse Pike (which is good), with a touch of Capt Kirk. It feels good to have a worthy ST TV show back.

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Speaking of Pike, I thing the uniform joke would have been even better if they had used the one from oginal TOS pilot.....

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
For those who may not want to restart their CBS AA subscription yet, I found out via Facebook that S2:E1 is officially on YouTube, for now:

I suspect only those in the US will be able to see the above. It might be geo-blocked.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
Season 2 started on 18Jan19 in the States. As some of you know, I am visiting France, and there on Netflix is the entire Season 1 for watching along with the first couple of Season 2 Episodes. That was the deal for Europe and this show, yes? I’m a little miffed. :p
Yeah, apparently. https://variety.com/2016/biz/news/leslie-moonves-star-trek-netflix-nil-1201865908/ says
Moonves cited the deal CBS recently struck with Netflix for rights outside of North America to the entire “Star Trek” canon, including the new series coming next spring to CBS’ competing CBS All Access SVOD services.

The price Netflix paid for the new “Star Trek: Discovery” series (sight unseen as the show went straight to series) will cover the show’s production costs.

“I go to bed at night a lot happier knowing that ‘Star Trek’ is 100 percent paid for before it goes on our All Access service,” Moonves said.

Also see https://media.netflix.com/en/press-...sion-series-in-188-countries-around-the-world.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’m miffed more because I pay for a Netflix subscription. So CBS has decided to screw over N.American or is it just their US based customers? Just got home tonight and STDiscovery which was listed (in France and Luxomburg) as “continue watching”... has vanished! :oops:
[doublepost=1549339766][/doublepost]
For those who may not want to restart their CBS AA subscription yet, I found out via Facebook that S2:E1 is officially on YouTube, for now:

I suspect only those in the US will be able to see the above. It might be geo-blocked.
I’ll wait until I can watch the season in a 1 month period and subscribe to CBSAA for 1 month.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
I’m miffed more because I pay for a Netflix subscription. So CBS has decided to screw over N.American or is it just their US based customers? Just got home tonight and STDiscovery which was listed (in France and Luxomburg) as “continue watching”... has vanished! :oops:
One can only speculate on CBS's motives for the show and their streaming service.

Unfortunately, for all shows and movies produced by another company, there is the issue of licensing for a given region/country and who has them along w/associated contractual obligations.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’m trying to time my subscription to CBSAA for season 2 of STD. Can anyone verify how many episodes in Season 2? One source I have says 8 episodes? Is that right? :oops:
Thanks!

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
I’m trying to time my subscription to CBSAA for season 2 of STD. Can anyone verify how many episodes in Season 2? One source I have says 8 episodes? Is that right? :oops:
Thanks!
We aren't up to 8 yet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery_(season_2)#Episodes lists 6 (be careful about the spoilers, look away from the summaries) and mentions Frakes directs the 9th ep. The reference it has (https://trekmovie.com/2018/12/08/an...ry-season-2-has-been-extended-to-14-episodes/) claims S2's been extended to 14 eps.

Heh about STD. Those who don't like the show and/or don't like having to pay for it call it STD. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We aren't up to 8 yet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery_(season_2)#Episodes lists 6 (be careful about the spoilers, look away from the summaries) and mentions Frakes directs the 9th ep. The reference it has (https://trekmovie.com/2018/12/08/an...ry-season-2-has-been-extended-to-14-episodes/) claims S2's been extended to 14 eps.

Heh about STD. Those who don't like the show and/or don't like having to pay for it call it STD. :)
14 sounds better, thanks, when they get to episode 10, I’ll subscribe. :) I did get to watch 3 episodes of S2 (Netflix) when I was on my trip to Europe last week.

Reactions: cwerdna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.