Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I've been greatly enjoying season 3. Not last week's episode, but the week before was an incredible episode, with some of the best Star Trek music I've heard in years. They are doing a great job with this Adira storyline.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Season 3 doesn’t seem too bad. Probably because I have normalized myself with the series. Watching season 1, I was quite upset as it doesn’t feel like Star Trek. It’s basically Michael Burnham doing and capable of doing everything. Didn’t feel like Trek at all. But now with season 3, I have accepted it, and can enjoy the shows more.

It’s akin to Mission Impossible. I enjoyed the TV series in the 90s, and didn’t like what Tom Cruise did to the franchise at first (basically making the IMF a one man show, Ethan Hunt). But then after several movies, I have accepted it as it is, a bombastic action movie like Die Hard, starring Tom Cruise. Discovery is like that, but in space, and Ethan Hunt is Michael Burnham.

My favorite character remains Georgiou. :D She’s like Deadpool amongst the boyscout X-Men (Starfleet).
"Accepting" is probably one of the more apt ways to describe it.

I've been greatly enjoying season 3. Not last week's episode, but the week before was an incredible episode, with some of the best Star Trek music I've heard in years. They are doing a great job with this Adira storyline.
That really came off like a "true" Star Trek episodes.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Season 3 doesn’t seem too bad. Probably because I have normalized myself with the series. Watching season 1, I was quite upset as it doesn’t feel like Star Trek. It’s basically Michael Burnham doing and capable of doing everything. Didn’t feel like Trek at all. But now with season 3, I have accepted it, and can enjoy the shows more.

It’s akin to Mission Impossible. I enjoyed the TV series in the 90s, and didn’t like what Tom Cruise did to the franchise at first (basically making the IMF a one man show, Ethan Hunt). But then after several movies, I have accepted it as it is, a bombastic action movie like Die Hard, starring Tom Cruise. Discovery is like that, but in space, and Ethan Hunt is Michael Burnham.

My favorite character remains Georgiou. :D She’s like Deadpool amongst the boyscout X-Men (Starfleet).
I loved Season 1, thought Season 2 was over the top with too many close calls, quit, then came back and finished it, because I liked Georgiou and Pike and most of the characters, but now I’m a bit blase about continuing it.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I've generally found season 3 to be enjoyable, given that they had cut the cord to all the corrupt Federation politics, however this week's 5th episode where they finally return to a decimated and cynical Federation shows that they just cannot bear to have any glimmer of a positive future. I blame producer Alex Kurtzmann (Cowboys & Aliens, Star Trek Into Darkness) who can't seem to bear any hint of an evolution towards utopia.
With this week's visit to Vulcan, the series now completely abandons it's opportunity of a blank canvas of the future, and dives right back into the corrupt federation politics - - very disappointing.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Let me start off my post and say I don't have the CBS streaming service but instead of I've caught fragments on YT. What bothers me with star trek in general is they keep messing with continuality and lore.

I'm having a hard time thinking that this non-warp spore drive that is faster then anything was possible during the Spock's life, which he now has a 1/2 sister and they go forward in time, but the federation instead of further developing the spore drive delete any and all references to it. The uniforms, why does one team seemingly have current modern looking unis and then the crew of the enterprise are using the accurate colored shirts. Technology being shown off conflicts with lore

Star Trek Discovery looks like a good series, but it seems like any franchise writers keep mucking with retconning.

Reactions: Huntn

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Well you gotta break some eggs to make a bottle of french fries.

Or something like that....

Spocks family life was never discussed in such detail that one could rule out an (adopted) sister and they did provide (a somewhat flimsy) explaination as to why the spore drive wasn't further developed.

Uniforms have always been defined by the time of filming. TOS mini skirts would have just plain wrong by the time TOS/DS9/VOY got filmed and the the pyjamas they used instead.....
Discovery uniforms are pretty much in line with the ones from Enterprise which is set shortly (50 years??) before it, Enterprise uniforms were a mere fan-service.

Think of these things like the whole Klingon-Forehead-Syndrom as discussed in the DS9/TOS crossover and "resolved" in during Enterprise.

-> don't overthink everything and as long as Spock isn't turned into an half-andorrian fathered by a Romulan spy it's all good.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Let me start off my post and say I don't have the CBS streaming service but instead of I've caught fragments on YT. What bothers me with star trek in general is they keep messing with continuality and lore.

I'm having a hard time thinking that this non-warp spore drive that is faster then anything was possible during the Spock's life, which he now has a 1/2 sister and they go forward in time, but the federation instead of further developing the spore drive delete any and all references to it. The uniforms, why does one team seemingly have current modern looking unis and then the crew of the enterprise are using the accurate colored shirts. Technology being shown off conflicts with lore

Star Trek Discovery looks like a good series, but it seems like any franchise writers keep mucking with retconning.
Seems like it all might mostly be related to the whole Kelvin timeline that in a way essentially allowed the writers to do various things differently if they wanted to supposedly without the need to account for it all in the original timeline that stands as it is. In a sense, as similar as it all is, it's a somewhat different type of Star Trek.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Completed the final season. It's a meh, anti-climax imo. Season 3 was building up quite nicely, but the final episode was simply a set of plot armors for Michael Ethan Hunt Burnham to get into the captain's chair. The other characters, despite whatever minimal growth they achieved, were sidelined like some random red shirts (eg. Tilly). Heck, they even chucked Stamets out to space (literally :D) just so Book can (magically) replace him.

But it does seem to fit in with the Kelvin timeline feel where everything (the whole three movies) were just plot armors to have the characters in their places without any growth.

Oh well, great production value, mildly entertaining, but I would quickly forgot about this series by next month. Nothing of value to keep, purely flyby entertainment.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Season 1 was a home run IMO. Season 2 was hmm, ok and then I kind of lost interest.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Season 1 was a home run IMO. Season 2 was hmm, ok and then I kind of lost interest.
I'm largely not a fan, but as I see various YT clips and read reviews, one thing that has struck a chord with me, and that's over all change of environment. A move away from a society that has cured all ills, to what is basically a dystopian society.

When the TOS was out, the promise of having humanity evolved beyond the baser feelings we seem to exhibit and provide a utopian society was interesting. While some of the later series added a bit more darkness to the to star trek universe, it's nothing compared to what Discovery portrayed.

I'm sure it has garnered a nice following, but so far the story telling is rather weak while critics love it, its clear that many viewers are less then positive. At least the 43% is an improvement over season 2's 36%
1623952737177.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Can anyone refresh me, was the spore drive the reason for entanglements in parallel universes? The spore drive was completely huge, the only reason to ever drop it would be parallel universe entanglements. So yes, this is a new idea the writers of Discovery came up with so until they decide to dump it and hide the tech we won’t hear an explanation for that, or have they dropped the spore drive In season 3?

Of note I remember Capt Pike from the original series who was nothing like Capt Kirk and I swear the Discovery pike is a reincarnation of Kirk. That’s partially why I love this character and how he interacts with the crew (as of season 2), as far as I have progressed.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

Oh you should be horrified that S2 of Picard brings forth Q, I haven't finished testing you yet,

The fun thing about Trek was that there was always other things existing that were beyond one's understanding until encountered, so since you saw other biotech ships in the Trek universe and from other dimensions there was always that possibility of doing the impossible. Yeah Q certainly could do that on his own, and defy timelines without worrying about any repercussions. :D

I like the progression of Star Trek Discovery and its spin offs. The 900 years in the future (S3) and saving the remains of the Federation was interesting season.

• Haha

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Oh you should be horrified that S2 of Picard brings forth Q, I haven't finished testing you yet,

The fun thing about Trek was that there was always other things existing that were beyond one's understanding until encountered, so since you saw other biotech ships in the Trek universe and from other dimensions there was always that possibility of doing the impossible. Yeah Q certainly could do that on his own, and defy timelines without worrying about any repercussions. :D

I like the progression of Star Trek Discovery and its spin offs. The 900 years in the future (S3) and saving the remains of the Federation was interesting season.

I just hope Q doesn't bring along Mrs. Q and Q Jr. Hoping Picard will fix the Q continuum with muskets in the antebellum south.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Can anyone refresh me, was the spore drive the reason for entanglements in parallel universes? The spore drive was completely huge, the only reason to ever drop it would be parallel universe entanglements. So yes, this is a new idea the writers of Discovery came up with so until they decide to dump it and hide the tech we won’t hear an explanation for that, or have they dropped the spore drive In season 3?
You have to think of the mycelium spores as existing outside the spatial four dimensions of our universe. These spores are spread all throughout the galaxy, and permeate not only space, but sub-space as well, so goes this star trek concept. So all that is happening is that we leave our universe for instant and renter our universe we are not traversing our universe at all. Can be thought of as a 5th dimension. it's also the basis of how to reach other parallel universes. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Oh you should be horrified that S2 of Picard brings forth Q
In all seriousness, I am. While many of the episodes of Q in TNG were good, and even thought provoking for instance the Tapestry episode, he's been so over played. Showing up in DS9 and Voyager. I suspect if Star Trek Enterprise was around any longer they would have trotted him out for that as well.

The 900 years in the future (S3) and saving the remains of the Federation was interesting season.
While the idea of dilithium crystals blowing up and causing devastating consequences in the future is an interesting idea, they seemed to just fall into the same old trope with it. What makes it worse is the idea that there was this brand new drive (spore) that basically pre-dates TOS and yet its disappears with Discovery, which makes no sense from a continuity perspective (story-line - why no further research to further develop it) . From a Star Trek universe perspective, inserting a brand new experimental drive and then making it disappear by way of time travel is a convenient mechanism to further retconning the whole star trek universe. Yet when they arrive, the remnants of the federation have no record of such an important thing (the excuse that was given seemed hollow)

I thought it was funny seven of nine wakes up to find she existed without the borg time line as a example in that trailer.
Was that what that was? I was confused as to why they showed her looking in a mirror at the end of the trailer.

entanglements in parallel universes?
I have to say next to time travel in star trek this parallel universe stuff is over played, its really a short cut for actually trying to write in-depth stories and characters - oh lets just create an evil captain that came from a paralallel universe.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You have to think of the mycelium spores as existing outside the spatial four dimensions of our universe. These spores are spread all throughout the galaxy, and permeate not only space, but sub-space as well, so goes this star trek concept. So all that is happening is that we leave our universe for instant and renter our universe we are not traversing our universe at all. Can be thought of as a 5th dimension. it's also the basis of how to reach other parallel universes. :)
But they did use it to travel great distances in our universe, yes?
Thanks for addressing this, :)

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
But they did use it to travel great distances in out universe, yes?
Thanks for addressing this, :)
Yes, entering the unique sub space was like a teleport process to any place in the universe instantaneously. Nice way to allow trek to go way outside their traditional bubble of topics. I’m sure it created a lot of debates. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.