Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you feel

• EA will never get my Money!

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • I will buy and enjoy

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I will buy....

Used or on sale for around $25 sometime next year, and not buy anything else in the game.

I am thinking this whole "card thing" is getting out-of-hand. If I want to "play cards..." ;)

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Well considering how horrible the first was, the second isn't doing so hot right now either I can't recommend buying. Dice is cleaning up the mess EA has made. Part 2 doesn't include co-op online with friends vs bots, in fact all the solo missions are insanely easy. Campaign.. again easy. Online multiplayer.. to many glitches that are allowing cheating. They fixed a couple of things but they are very slow at getting to requests. The AMA on reddit yesterday was a disaster with massive amounts of excuses and pretty much again signals they do not care. Frankly if I were you I'd use my money elsewhere before buying this one. Or wait till it drops to 20.00 or less. The loot crates are a joke, do not support that nonsense!

Last edited:

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I really enjoyed the first one and preordered BFII on PS4 awhile back before I heard about this Pay to Win B.S.
I would love nothing more than to cancel my preorder to protest, but in US, Sony does not allow cancellations. :(
Total crap anti-consumerist Sony B.S. policy, but that's a topic for another thread.

This was my first and only digital preorder ever (PSN store had a 20% off future purchase coupon deal, so I couldn't resist). Never again will I preorder, no matter how good the bonuses.

So I own it and will try to enjoy as best I can. Obviously I won't spend a dime on Loot Boxes and if the grind get's really bad, I will just play something else and caulk this one up as lesson learned.

Gosh I hope EA takes it in the shorts on this one and the industry as a whole changes for the better.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
Anyone that pays one cent to EA, ActivisionBlizzard or TakeTwo for their games at this point should be ineligible to vote in their respective countries.

Reactions: koulmj

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Seriously wtf is wrong with EA. Wen I pay over 60 for a game, I don’t want to feel I should pay a cent more ever.

I think Apple is honestly to blame for this in game transaction trend that has happened.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
It still hasn't sunk in, for me, that EA has an effective monopoly on Star Wars games. It's truly a shame that other capable and passionate developers wont be able to create games based on that universe. IMHO

koulmj

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
Part of me wonders if the Star Wars franchise owners, which at this point appears to be Disney, would yank out the contracts from EA because of this disaster. But I guess I’m getting ahead of myself because I don’t even know that this is a real disaster I don’t know how many people actually buy the game

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Part of me wonders if the Star Wars franchise owners, which at this point appears to be Disney, would yank out the contracts from EA because of this disaster. But I guess I’m getting ahead of myself because I don’t even know that this is a real disaster I don’t know how many people actually buy the game

Part of me is hoping that EA does not back down, causing Disney to yank exclusivity (which at this point would be a breach of contract).

While many of us are fairly versed with the technicalities... there are magnitudes more 'average users' who, rightly so, will be drawn in by the Star Wars license and buy this game.

In all fairness, i'm really bitter that there is a very high probability(almost certainty) that there will not be a Star Wars game on the Nintendo Switch, and no other developer-publisher can even attempt to do so. That exclusivity has, to me, tarnished the Star Wars brand.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I heard they got rid of the Microtransactions, not because of the Gaming Community, but because CNN did a spot about it.

It is also temporary. I bet we'll see a price drop to $30 a lot sooner in the Spring and that's when they'll be put back in (after the young kids get tired of it that got it for the Holidays and don't play anymore).

koulmj

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
I'd be happy to pay 30 less for this game...or if they gave me a discount because I bought BattleFront 1. But yes, the microtransation hold is temporary.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
It still hasn't sunk in, for me, that EA has an effective monopoly on Star Wars games. It's truly a shame that other capable and passionate developers wont be able to create games based on that universe. IMHO
And nfl games......

Exclusivity is the worst. You get ips held from platforms like the switch because of the views of a single developer

This micro transaction stuff needs to end

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I’ll shop for a copy on eBay sometime next year when I’m looking for something to play.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I own the first one. Twice now (signed up for EA Access). I will not buy this game. If things continue, I won’t renew the subscription either.

I read it would take 6 years playing the game at least two hours a day to unlock everything. If you choose to pay, it will take over $2,000 to get everything. That is beyond ****ed up. Shame on them. It’s a game, not a freaking 401K account...

jeremyisweary

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2010
Dallas, TX
Yeah, I really want this game, but I just can't support their practices. I haven't purchased a single game for my PS4 this year (since the Switch launch), and I was holding out for this one. I thought BF1 multiplayer was so much fun. Super disappointed.

Reactions: iMi

jeremyisweary

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2010
Dallas, TX
Yeah, I really want this game, but I just can't support their practices. I haven't purchased a single game for my PS4 this year (since the Switch launch), and I was holding out for this one. I thought BF1 multiplayer was so much fun. Super disappointed.

Ok, so I caved at my Brother-in-Law's urging and purchased. I feel like a sell-out, but it's such a fun game. I haven't cracked open the campaign yet.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014

I actually agree with him about the underlying facts. Gaming is one of the most cost effective entertainment options available when you look at the cost per hour of gameplay versus cost of an hour of other digital entertainment. But it doesn't mean that the cost of games should be increased. The analysis overall is rather shortsighted. It's a shame the author is considered an "industry analyst."

First, cost "per hour of entertainment" is only one data point, which evidently is being used as the sole mechanism for assessing relative value. There are many other factors to consider. The elasticity of demand. Consumer perception of value and even market driven price ceiling (or floor). One could even make a compelling argument that they should examine the impact higher prices on games would have on the overall gaming ecosystem. There may be a per game price point where the entire supporting industry collapses because of the reduced overall demand for gaming. None of those things are being considered. It's almost like those lame "back of the napkin" questions consulting companies like to ask fresh grads. Most are laughable in their simplicity and at times deeply flawed in the "assumptions," although they look great on paper (or napkin).

He figures the cost per hour of gameplay an average is lower than television or going to the movies, therefore prices must be raised. Talk about jumping to conclusions. That's it.

It's like saying that the cost of traveling a mile by car is considerably lower than the cost of traveling a mile by boat or a plane, hypothetically speaking, therefore cars should be sold at a higher price. End analysis.

Sorry, but I would not take this guy seriously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.