Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It seems the latest episode of the Mandalorian has triggered many fans. Lizzo and Jack Black were guest stars and it was awkward at best, cringe inducing nausea at worst. I've only seen clips, not the episode so I can't say if its as bad as I'm reading/watching but many Star Wars fans are not happy.

People are calling out the series as having jumped the shark, and the demise of star wars franchise. Admittedly, Mando was one of the few bright spots and with the season 3 failing, and no movies on the horizon - the outlook is bleak

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
It seems the latest episode of the Mandalorian has triggered many fans. Lizzo and Jack Black were guest stars and it was awkward at best, cringe inducing nausea at worst. I've only seen clips, not the episode so I can't say if its as bad as I'm reading/watching but many Star Wars fans are not happy.

People are calling out the series as having jumped the shark, and the demise of star wars franchise. Admittedly, Mando was one of the few bright spots and with the season 3 failing, and no movies on the horizon - the outlook is bleak

Ugh... I haven't seen the episode yet either and I am already seeing a lot of negativity on the intrawebs. In my opinion, this season has not been their best. It almost feels like they ran out of story's to tell.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It almost feels like they ran out of story's to tell.
I guess this episode was chock full of cameos, and that of itself seems like so much self indulgence, at the expense of good story telling me.

I'm biased, in that I don't really consider Jack Black a very good actor. He has done a good job in some of his films but mostly when he doesn't act and just acts as himself if that makes sense. From the clips I saw, the performance felt over the top and forced. I have no real comment on Lizzo, my kids love her music, not my style but I don't see any value in her being featured in the way she was.

I think Christopher Lloyd's performance was wasted in that he could have added so much more had he been given the opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, since Disney's oversight of Star Wars we always had cameos, but this time, it seems a little over the top, where they were the feature, not just popping into the scene

Reactions: Herdfan

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I guess this episode was chock full of cameos, and that of itself seems like so much self indulgence, at the expense of good story telling me.

I'm biased, in that I don't really consider Jack Black a very good actor. He has done a good job in some of his films but mostly when he doesn't act and just acts as himself if that makes sense. From the clips I saw, the performance felt over the top and forced. I have no real comment on Lizzo, my kids love her music, not my style but I don't see any value in her being featured in the way she was.

I think Christopher Lloyd's performance was wasted in that he could have added so much more had he been given the opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, since Disney's oversight of Star Wars we always had cameos, but this time, it seems a little over the top, where they were the feature, not just popping into the scene

Ugh... Still going to watch this weekend... but... 🤦‍♂️

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Ugh... Still going to watch this weekend... but... 🤦‍♂️

It wasn't bad. JB and Lizzo could have been played by anyone and it wouldn't have affected the story. CL looked old.

Supposedly this will be the last season of it branded as The Mandalorian. Not sure where they will go from here. Would rather the devote the resources to Andor and give us a couple more season of that.

And my daughter told me that there is going to be new movie with Rae set 10-15 years after The Rise of Skywalker reassembling the Jedi Order.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Of the three new movies announced, the one about the origins of the Jedi 25,000 years ago seems most interesting to me. While there have been many subjects of SW, to me the Jedi are the most interesting.

Reactions: Obi Wan Kenobi

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
It wasn't bad. JB and Lizzo could have been played by anyone and it wouldn't have affected the story. CL looked old.

Supposedly this will be the last season of it branded as The Mandalorian. Not sure where they will go from here. Would rather the devote the resources to Andor and give us a couple more season of that.

And my daughter told me that there is going to be new movie with Rae set 10-15 years after The Rise of Skywalker reassembling the Jedi Order.

I watched this past friday. Wasn't bad. I didn't bump into to many things. Not bad, not great. This season has been very weird. I have said it before, it is like they don't know where they are going or if they do, they are trying to steer the ship and it is taking them a very long time to get in the direction they want to go.

The only movie that sounded good to me was the one about the Jedi's... I am over Rae... But hell, knowing me, I will watch it lol.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This looks really good. I'm generally a little tired of seeing prior characters getting trotted out in disney plus for nostalgia's sake but in this case, I'm hopeful that this will be a good series.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This looks really good. I'm generally a little tired of seeing prior characters getting trotted out in disney plus for nostalgia's sake but in this case, I'm hopeful that this will be a good series.

Just started this, Episode 1 was outstanding! Looking forward to the rest. :D

Reactions: maflynn

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Just started this, Episode 1 was outstanding! Looking forward to the rest. :D

I enjoyed it so far. Last episode this week. Of all the various shows about Star Wars, I still say the Jedi are still the most interesting characters. I always love a good lightsaber fight.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I enjoyed it so far. Last episode this week. Of all the various shows about Star Wars, I still say the Jedi are still the most interesting characters. I always love a good lightsaber fight.

Usually, but I thought the Obi-Wan Kenobi TV series was a disappointment. I do agree that Ahsoka is very good.
Andor is the first SW TV series I’ve liked.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ahsoka- Anyone know what the round nose Republic Capitol ships in this series are? I’ve researched and have not found a name or an image. 🤔

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I should pick it back up, It just didn't grab me, and it was hard to keep watching
Interesting, all personal preference…
Andor did not take long to grab me, and when it did, it got better and better. 👍🏼

E048CA80-540F-4D98-A7B8-197B6BE19055.jpeg

On the other hand I finished Ashoka which felt good at first and then dragged to the end. I did not care for Rosario Dawson’s portrayal of Ashoka, she seemed wooden and way to somber/subdued, and she clearly is not a physical actress. Her deflection of laser shots with her duel light sabers, when she sat and struggled with control of the ship, grimace and wiggled her arms, it did not look or feel real. Light saber duels, there was a stark difference when they switched to a long shot and a stunt double jumped in looking impressive.

Wren was best when she was a rebel, but became boring after she got serious about her training. And the story, it has potential, but as is, is completely forgettable. Bah, humbug, my apologies, agreement not required. 👎🏻🫤

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Interesting, all personal preference…
Andor did not take long to grab me, and when it did, it got better and better. 👍🏼

On the other hand I finished Ashoka which felt good at first and then dragged to the end. I did not care for Rosario Dawson’s portrayal of Ashoka, she seemed wooden and way to somber/subdued, and she clearly is not a physical actress. Her deflection of laser shots with her duel light sabers, when she sat and struggled with control of the ship, grimace and wiggled her arms, it did not look or feel real. Light saber duels, there was a stark difference when they switched to a long shot and a stunt double jumped in looking impressive.

Wren was best when she was a rebel, but became boring after she got serious about her training. And the story, it has potential, but as is, is completely forgettable. Bah, humbug, my apologies, agreement not required. 👎🏻🫤

I would be somber and subdued too if I was living knowing I was trained by (and looked up to) a mass murderer. Redemption or no redemption. I would say she's been going through a lot of bleep.

That would mess me up too.

Reactions: Huntn

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
  • Ahsoka
I thoroughly enjoyed Ahsoka! She is my wife's favorite character, going all the way back to the start of the Clone Wars series and watching her evolution has been a joy to watch.

Was the Ahsoka series perfect? No. There are things about it that I wish were done differently BUT I'm intrigued to see where they take the story from here. Thrawn. Mortis. Baylan. External galaxy. All of it is intriguing! But the thing that made me happiest is seeing Anakin's redemption come full circle (in Ahsoka's eyes). Plus, seeing Hayden was a nice touch. Say what you will about his portrayal in 2-3 but he killed it in the Ahsoka show. I'm hoping they do a season 2.

• Andor
I like this show but I dont love it. The slow-burn of the first season was hard to get through because we already know the characters fate and this explanation of his backstory doesn't really change anything. It's easy to root for Casian but it feels like a lot of the sub-plot surrounding him is just filler. Ironically, the material regarding the ISB agent and the Empire is more intriguing. I'm hoping season 2 really dives into the formation of the Rebellion and we start seeing more familiar elements.

• Obi-Wan
It was good but again, we already knew the ending. I wish it had led up to ANH more but I get why they ended it where they did. It was great to see a young Leia interact with Obi-Wan and to see his relationship with the Lars family and Luke. The fight scene at the end where Vader's helmet is sliced open was very well done though. Mirrored to what happened in Rebels with his fight with Ahsoka.

• Book of Boba Fett
The only episode that I loved was where Mando showed up, mowed down the dudes in the meat factory with the dark saber, got his hot-rodded N-1 and you see Grogu training with Luke. Aside from that...the entire show is forgettable and not necessary. I get that they were trying to paint him as a crime boss but they lost me with the power ranger teenagers as his muscle.

• Mandolorian
What else can be said about this show that hasn't been said already? Season 1 was solid. Season 2 was insane, especially the season finale. Season 3 did an awesome job of diving into the Mandolorian culture and the fall out of the purge. I'm not sure if they'll do a season 4 or not but either wall, I'll watch it from start to finish.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
  • Ahsoka
I thoroughly enjoyed Ahsoka! She is my wife's favorite character, going all the way back to the start of the Clone Wars series and watching her evolution has been a joy to watch.

Was the Ahsoka series perfect? No. There are things about it that I wish were done differently BUT I'm intrigued to see where they take the story from here. Thrawn. Mortis. Baylan. External galaxy. All of it is intriguing! But the thing that made me happiest is seeing Anakin's redemption come full circle (in Ahsoka's eyes). Plus, seeing Hayden was a nice touch. Say what you will about his portrayal in 2-3 but he killed it in the Ahsoka show. I'm hoping they do a season 2.

• Andor
I like this show but I dont love it. The slow-burn of the first season was hard to get through because we already know the characters fate and this explanation of his backstory doesn't really change anything. It's easy to root for Casian but it feels like a lot of the sub-plot surrounding him is just filler. Ironically, the material regarding the ISB agent and the Empire is more intriguing. I'm hoping season 2 really dives into the formation of the Rebellion and we start seeing more familiar elements.

• Obi-Wan
It was good but again, we already knew the ending. I wish it had led up to ANH more but I get why they ended it where they did. It was great to see a young Leia interact with Obi-Wan and to see his relationship with the Lars family and Luke. The fight scene at the end where Vader's helmet is sliced open was very well done though. Mirrored to what happened in Rebels with his fight with Ahsoka.

• Book of Boba Fett
The only episode that I loved was where Mando showed up, mowed down the dudes in the meat factory with the dark saber, got his hot-rodded N-1 and you see Grogu training with Luke. Aside from that...the entire show is forgettable and not necessary. I get that they were trying to paint him as a crime boss but they lost me with the power ranger teenagers as his muscle.

• Mandolorian
What else can be said about this show that hasn't been said already? Season 1 was solid. Season 2 was insane, especially the season finale. Season 3 did an awesome job of diving into the Mandolorian culture and the fall out of the purge. I'm not sure if they'll do a season 4 or not but either wall, I'll watch it from start to finish.

Unfortunately, we may not see a resolution to Baylan's arc, since Ray Stevenson died. Too bad too, I thought he was the most interesting character.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
  • Ahsoka

• Andor

• Obi-Wan

• Book of Boba Fett

• Mandolorian
What else can be said about this show that hasn't been said already? Season 1 was solid. Season 2 was insane, especially the season finale. Season 3 did an awesomur job of diving into the Mandolorian culture and the fall out of the purge. I'm not sure if they'll do a season 4 or not but either wall, I'll watch it from start to finish.
I concur with your Ahsoka. Best of the live action series so far. Looking forward to the next season.

Andor started good but I thought the season peaked with the prison escape episode. I found the season finale to be a major let down. I will watch the next season but I’m a bit skeptical

Obi-Wan was a big let down. Not sure if would bother with season 2. I guess it will depend on which rerun of Gilligan’s Island is on

Boba Fett was a waste. It only got made since there is a big following for the character. Total waste of time and money.

Mandolorain first season was good and I really enjoyed it. Really showed there was potential for Star Wars series without having to rely on reusing previously established characters or story arc gaps. The second season was good but not as nearly as good as the 1st season. I was so throughly disappointed with the Boba Fett series , I haven’t watched the 3rd season of Mandolorain [yet]. But the 3rd season is still on my list of shows to watch.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I concur with your Ahsoka. Best of the live action series so far. Looking forward to the next season.

Andor started good but I thought the season peaked with the prison escape episode. I found the season finale to be a major let down. I will watch the next season but I’m a bit skeptical

Obi-Wan was a big let down. Not sure if would bother with season 2. I guess it will depend on which rerun of Gilligan’s Island is on

Boba Fett was a waste. It only got made since there is a big following for the character. Total waste of time and money.

Mandolorain first season was good and I really enjoyed it. Really showed there was potential for Star Wars series without having to rely on reusing previously established characters or story arc gaps. The second season was good but not as nearly as good as the 1st season. I was so throughly disappointed with the Boba Fett series , I haven’t watched the 3rd season of Mandolorain [yet]. But the 3rd season is still on my list of shows to watch.

There may not be a new Ahsoka season. There's a rumor that the next SW movie will be this story.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
There may not be a new Ahsoka season. There's a rumor that the next SW movie will be this story.
I saw that rumor. What could go wrong with that approach (let me count the ways):
The movie starts where the series ended, and as a result the audience (except for fan of a subscription streaming service) have no understanding of what’s going on

The movie summarizes a whole TV season (and parts from various animated series too) into a 30-60 minute intro that take up a big chunk of the “new” movie.

They add more scenes of the characters from the original movie since “that is what the audience expects” even though it is NOT important to THIS story

It takes 3 or 4 years to get a movie out by then no one cares about the previous cliff hanging ending from a forgotten TV show.

But that doesn’t matter so they will make it into a movie (or a series on movies) anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rafterman

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
I saw that rumor. What could go wrong with that approach (let me count the ways):
The movie starts where the series ended, and as a result the audience (except for fan of a subscription streaming service) have no understanding of what’s going on

The movie summarizes a whole TV season (and parts from various animated series too) into a 30-60 minute intro that take up a big chunk of the “new” movie.

They add more scenes of the characters from the original movie since “that is what the audience expects” even though it is NOT important to THIS story

It takes 3 or 4 years to get a movie out by then no one cares about the previous cliff hanging ending from a forgotten TV show.

But that doesn’t matter so they will make it into a movie (or a series on movies) anyways.
Yeah I really hope they do a season 2 for those exact reasons. They can do the Filoni movie after season 2 because they can write it to a point where the movie picks up. But where they left off in season 1, there are still too many questions to be answered by just ONE movie.

A friend of mine and I got into a bit of a heated discussion about this very topic and he wants there to only be one season of Ahsoka and I'm of the opinion that there needs to be more explanation of Baylon's motives and what happens with Thrown now that he's back in the Star Wars galaxy. Looking online, it seems very split but since season 2 hasn't been OFFICIALLY green lit, all we have is speculation.

This article offers a different perspective though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.