Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
I'm running out of chances to give, as much as I love seeing a star wars movie, series, cartoons, etc. What disney produces has not lived up to the great story telling that we've expected. They seem more interested in virtue signaling, instead of presenting a rich and engaging story.
Lets be honest, we ALL know what their ultimate end goal is...

giphy.gif

Disney will always put profits before story. They've just had amazingly good dumb luck that they've been able to accomplish both over the past 60+ years.

What's different recently is HOW they go about in doing that. One of the ways they've accomplished it to a certain degree is to make movies and tv shows that are more..."approachable"...to certain demographics.

I think the issue with what Disney and perhaps more specifically, Lucasfilm, has done is that they've tossed out the biggest, widest net they could in order to attract as many new fans as possible all while trying to retain older fans all while walking a tightrope of trying new ideas and recycling older material. Eventually, a small but vocal percentage of those fans, new or old, will find things to gripe, complain and moan about because what is being produced isn't to their liking.

Lucas went to hell and back with that while making the prequels and IMO, his desire to tell more stories kind of died with that backlash and sold to Disney.

Disney is facing similar backlash but they have the benefit of being able to say "Oh well, thanks for giving us your money anyways".

Reactions: decafjava

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the issue with what Disney and perhaps more specifically, Lucasfilm, has done is that they've tossed out the biggest, widest net
If they casted the widest net to appeal to the majority, then their movies and content would not flopping. Just look at the Avengers franchise, those movies were well written, and well made.

The thing is, there's a crap ton of negativity going on with that trailer - that tells me that this isn't casting a wide net with a great story. The majority of people seeing the trailer down voted 2 to 1. Whether you agree or disagree with the reasons for the down vote is immaterial, its really that the majority but it seems the majority have spoken

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The sad part is, when Walt was running the Disney. He actually borrowed against his life insurance and sold his 2nd home using his personal money to create disneyland

he Disneyland Source Book later goes on to say, “Unfettered [Walt] borrowed against his life insurance and sold his second house just so he could develop his idea to the point where he could show others what he had in mind. Studio employees worked on the project paid from Walt Disney’s personal funds.”

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The acolyte trailer dropped and it seems that a lot of fans are unhappy about it., the like to dislike ration seems about 2 to 1 in hating it

View attachment 2361635

I have to agree with this Yter on the points she raises.

I also don't like how they retcon and rewrite history and this seems to be more of that in this project. The trailer implies the sith, but yet in the Phantom Menace, the Jedi stated that the they thought the Sith were dead. What about the rule of 2? Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but with the inclusion of that flying red light saber its hard to not assume the Sith

The one thing that I've grown to hate is when one of Disney's Star Wars/Marvel projects fail they blame the fans. Why antagonize the very customers who are spending money to see their stuff?

Star Wars fans unhappy? You don't say!

And Luke kissed his sister. So what? Sometimes, even years later, they get a better idea for a story and change stuff. I think its remarkable they keep things in sync as much as they do. The Jedi have always been the most interesting part of Star Wars (to me anyways), and now that doesn't suit people. I, for one, am looking forward to it.

As far as antagonizing fans...it is impossible to make these "fans" happy. Ever. Star Trek fans are just as bad. So what if not everything in "canon" is not perfect. Seriously, other than the money, why would ANYONE want to get involved in working on these franchises and get pooped on all the time.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

giphy.gif

Disney will always put profits before story. They've just had amazingly good dumb luck that they've been able to accomplish both over the past 60+ years.

Not to burst bubbles here, but companies exist to maximize profits. And no, its not "dumb luck." Its a bunch of hardworking people, trying to satisfy fans and shareholders at the same time. They do a remarkable job most of the time, but get very little appreciation.

Reactions: Obi Wan Kenobi

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And Luke kissed his sister. So what? Sometimes, even years later, they get a better idea for a story and change stuff.
You're comparing a change where George Lucas was just starting to flesh out the Star Wars universe to now 40 years later when the universe has been fully vetted out? Its one thing to lay out a foundation of the universe and making an alteration and another to play fast and loose with the lore.

Besides the inclusion of the Sith doesn't seem to be at the center of fandom's anger, what @rhett7660 posted here describes what seems to be at the heart of the issues with Disney.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhett7660

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
You're comparing a change where George Lucas was just starting to flesh out the Star Wars universe to now 40 years later when the universe has been fully vetted out? Its one thing to lay out a foundation of the universe and making an alteration and another to play fast and loose with the lore.

Besides the inclusion of the Sith doesn't seem to be at the center of fandom's anger, what @rhett7660 posted here describes what seems to be at the heart of the issues with Disney.

LOL. I'm sick of the whining about woke. Women, POC, LGBT - they aren't going away, after decades of being marginalized in Hollywood. "What, not enough white males? OMG what will we do!?" Give me a break.

Reactions: Huntn and decafjava

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
"What, not enough white males? OMG what will we do!?" Give me a break.
And yet they complain when people choose not watch those movies.

Disney and others, are free to make movies as they see fit and we the consumers are free to watch or not, those movies.

Its clear to me that Disney's current vision of what makes a good movie is failing to engage or attract people hence they're losing money and the negative feedback from this latest initiative.

Reactions: Herdfan and Huntn

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
And yet they complain when people choose not watch those movies.

Disney and others, are free to make movies as they see fit and we the consumers are free to watch or not, those movies.

Its clear to me that Disney's current vision of what makes a good movie is failing to engage or attract people hence they're losing money and the negative feedback from this latest initiative.

Interesting. When The Marvels came out, it was the worst movie financially in Marvel history. Yet it has an 82 moviegoer rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a 62 critics rating, certifying it "fresh." People who saw it, liked it. Which means, for the people rejecting it, and a lot of other titles out there, a lot of them were missing out on a good movie, due to nonsense reasons.

If you don't like a superhero movie, or don't like sci-fi or prefer comedies, or whatever, those are valid reasons to not go see a movie or watch a TV show. "Woke" is a nonsense reason.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Interesting. When The Marvels came out, it was the worst movie financially in Marvel history. Yet it has an 82 moviegoer rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a 62 critics rating, certifying it "fresh." People who saw it, liked it. Which means, for the people rejecting it, and a lot of other titles out there, a lot of them were missing out on a good movie, due to nonsense reasons.

If you don't like a superhero movie, or don't like sci-fi or prefer comedies, or whatever, those are valid reasons to not go see a movie or watch a TV show. "Woke" is a nonsense reason.
I did not like The Marvels…. 🙃

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

I didn't like it either. I did the like the youngest Ms Marvel, but the other two... yeah they were horrible and the plot line was horrible, and the writing was nothing to write home about. Overall, it is along the lines of The Eternals. Can you at least put some effort into the story telling for crying out loud. Just a little...

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021

Seems to be the general consensus of the audience who would watch those movies. Look at the wall to wall garbage of movies coming out with Marvel and Star Wars. Movies are now being canceled, showed canceled, they are losing money left right and centre. So Disney and any other studio should be taking a close look at what their target audience is and what they want to see. It is obviously not working as is, unless losing money is what they are after, then they are hitting the nail on the head. This is not unique to Disney, it is happening with every franchise that has a large fan base from being around for years. It goes from Marvel, Disney, DC and all away across the pond to Doctor Who. Low rated shows that seem to think agenda and messages are key to these shows success, rather then just writing good stories.

I have still watched the last movies from Marvel, and no one is missing out on a good movie with these. Have not seen all the Star Wars shows as they are horrible as well, so the ones I have seen they were so bad I decided not to waste my time with them anymore, as well as cancelled my Disney subscription as there was just not enough content that I like to watch. Netflix about to go out the window as well, seems I almost exclusively just watch shows on BritBox

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.