Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Starfield Not So Quick and Pretty Dirty

46586C96-BF45-45AE-8ED4-4545EA1E2772.jpeg
Work in Progress. Sometime you (especially I) can feel overwhelmed at all the choices in a game like this. IMO, it's better to approach it from an informed position, but you may not prefer this approach. Info and opinions, if you don't want to know, stay away. This Thread is dedicated to playing the game, choices, quest info, and will include spoilers. I will add references to the first post, info from other players and include post numbers and links to posts, as info appears in the thread.

Updates
  • 5Oct- Changed the Section "Cheating" to Cheating/Console Action. Added a section on how to fix bugged quests.
  • 2Oct- Split Combat into 2 Sections, Combat, Ship Combat.
  • 1Oct- Added Skills Section under Character Build.
  • 30Sep- Added Ship links under Ships
  • 22Sep- Under Misc Links Added info about Using Photo Mode and where to find Starfield screenshots. They can be in 2 different places if the game's Photodiode (F,V) is used, or a Steam Screenshot (F12) is taken. Under Companions added a blurb on how to trade with them.
  • 16Sep- Added some ship building links and comment to Your Ship section.
  • 15Sep- Removed Map section, added it to the Navigatio/Exploration Section. Added Your Ship Section. Added Navigate Space in Navigation Section. Incorporated all of the Massive tips into the rest of the article.
  • 13Sep- Massive Tip list added
  • 12Sep- Added Map Section; how to pick a lock; what time is it?, Check crew on Ship; Monster Rock Paper Scissors Tips Link; 12 Builds from Rock Paper Scissors in Character Build.
  • 10Sep23- Added @Spaceboi Scaphandre and @diamond.g tips.
  • 10Sep23- Wholesale expansion of guide contents. Added pcinvasion.com excellent links for skills, traits and backgrounds..
Contents
  • Misc Links
  • Getting Started
  • Graphics
  • Character Builds
  • Skills
  • Tips
  • Companions, Followers, Romance
  • Game Mechanics
  • Combat
  • Ships
    • Ship Links
    • Your Ship
  • Ship Combat
  • Navigation/Exploration/Maps
  • Mining/Surveying/Scanning
  • Gear
  • Combat
  • Crafting
  • Quests
  • Mods
  • Cheating
Misc Links and new info to be incorporated
  • Starfield Ship List:
  • Steam Screenshot Locations on PC: https://progameguides.com/starfield/starfield-screenshot-file-location-on-pc/
  • Starfield Photo Mode File Location
    • Desktop/ Documents/My Games/Starfield/Data/Textures/Photos
    • There could be an issue here using Photomode, and that is having to use 2 keys to make an action screenshot, F-Scanner, X-Photomode. You might want to make a macro for this.
  • If Steam Screenshots are taken (F12):
    • If Installed on C Drive: Program Files (x86)/Steam (Where steam is installed, if you did not install it on the C Drive/userdata/1025473025(Your user number) /760/remote/1716740 (Starfield Game ID number)/screenshots
    • In Steam not installed on C drive example: E Drive/Games/Steam/UserData/1025473025/760/remote/1716740/Screenshots
  • How To Use Photo Mode: https://www.videogamer.com/guides/starfield-photo-mode-how-to-use/
  • F Key followed by V Key- You can use photo mode in Starfield by bringing up your scanner using the F key on PC or RB on Xbox Series X|S. Once you’ve activated your scanner, you can enable “Photo Mode” by tapping the V key on PC or by pressing the right stick on console. Alternatively, you can also access this feature by heading to the System menu and selecting “Photo Mode” below “Settings.” Once Photo Mode is open, you’ll be able to capture an image by pressing the space bar on your keyboard or the A button on your controller.
Starfield The Moon.jpg

A Brave New World​

Getting started

Graphics
Character Builds

Skills
Character Skill List: https://www.ign.com/wikis/starfield/All_Skills_and_Rank_Challenges
Figuring out what you want to be: See Post13- bottom of this page for more info including a list.
How Skills Work: Raising skills in Starfield may not work the same was as in other games, including previous Bethesda Titles. For example, In Fallout 4, Sneak is an Agility perk and once you get it, you can sneak (crouch) to your hearts content and raise your Sneak Skill continuously.

In Starfield, you have to choose the skill, and then there is a specific action required to raise each skill. For the sneak skill, attack from stealth. Actually I'm not exactly sure what that means other than I think it means attack from a position where you have not been discovered, not seen, and not sure if a death is required or not.

So every skill has a specific requirement. Some are easier than others. For Persuasion, you just have to persuade someone, this comes naturally when the situation arises. But look at fitness, this is the silliest one I've seen. You have to run continuous until you 02 meter depletes, and then a red bar starts to climb, once that maxes out you'll more or less be forced to stop and you will have raised your skill 1 point. The to reach level 2 would be to do this 20 times to compete Level 1.

Look at the Pilot skill, you can fly a ship without the Pilot Skill, but you can't raise your pilot skills without choosing this skill and killing enemy ships. And until you raise this skill, you'll be limited to flying Class A ships. As far as I know, you can't have a character fly you around, like in X4: Foundations.

Skills I want: The game does not have official character classes, you just assemble what you want. I think the trick is not to spread yourself too thinly. So not a build, more of a starting point. Although you could say all skills are valuable some or more important the stone you get them. I bolded my desired skills.

Gear
Tips
  • Save often (@maflynn says! :)) I try to remember to save befire important character build decisions, and before and after important events, a ship landed over their that I want to hijack.
  • Jumping into a large hole in the ground as a transition to another zone, be ready to use your backpack ot the landing could be painful, fatal? Not sure about the latter.
  • Beeping, You're Damaged- If you hear a beeping noise that gets faster and faster, it means that environmental damage is about to give you an affliction. For example, if you're out in freezing rain or a sandstorm, you may hear this noise shortly before getting frostbite or lung damage.
  • If you get encumbered- On PC you can hit Caps Lock to walk and regenerate O2 when you are encumbered. (@diamond.g )
  • Addiction- The game has an addiction system. Using combat enhancers often can cause you to develop an addiction to them, requiring you to seek treatment for it you need to get rid of it.
  • Make money by survey, Any Gas Giant or asteroid you see, survey it from the Starmap as since you can't land on them they're effectively free survey datas, survey data you can then sell for a lot of money on The Eye. (DO NOT SELL SURVEY DATA TO THE TRADE AUTHORITY THEY PAY PENNIES. ONLY SELL THEM AT THE EYE.) Selling the Survey Data will help you get a lot of money fast
  • Sleep for XP- Sleep often as much as you can in beds as you get big XP boosts doing so. Your starter ship the Frontier has a bed in it so you have no excuse not to sleep whenever you can.
  • Building Outposts- Talk to Vasco in The Lodge to unlock the ability to build Outposts.
  • 25 Starfield Tips: This article has a ton to tips at the end of it that over time I'll bring into this post.
    • Fast Travel directly from the Mission Menu: The good news is, you can fast travel directly from the missions menu, allowing you to head to the location of your next mission's task immediately, without looking anything up on Starfield's confusing array of maps. Just open your missions menu, select the quest you want to follow, and tap "R" (or "X" on controller) to "Set Course" directly to that location, allowing you to zip from Proxima Centauri to Earth in the blink of an eye. It'll save a whole lot of time and frustration, I promise you.
    • Look for Skill Books- If you played previous Bethesda RPGs you are already familiar.
    • Essential of Smuggling Just head to the Wolf System the moment you get any contraband, and you'll be able to sell all of it at the Trade Authority shop in The Den space station without having to worry about any scanners detecting you. Just be sure to put some skill points into Commerce so you get more money for selling each item!
    • Sleep to be Well Rested- for extra XP= Time will pass, but you'll also get the Well Rested effect, which increases your XP gain by 10% for the next 24 minutes.
    • Play the main mission to unlock powers- We get it. It's a Bethesda game. The main story is not the reason you play it. But in Starfield, some of your most important abilities are locked until you reach certain points along the main mission list. You don't need to play through the whole length of Starfield, it only takes a few missions before you unlock your first Starborn power, and then you'll see why it's well worth doing the main story missions.
    • Give your companions your time and gear-They can act as your pack mule and can equip better stuff for themselves in combat.
    • You can join all Factions. Starfield has quite a selection of factions.
    • How to get the best gear early- by stealing if you swing that way. Description in link. 😜
    • Pick locks frequently.
    • Use your scanner to highlight objects (F to activate, E to scan)
    • Don't Loot Everything: or you'll get encumbered (unless you cheat via console). Skill boots increase carry capacity.
    • Store items in ship, houses, outposts
    • Use explosive red drums or cylinders to your advantage in combat- yes they blow up.
    • Get Free ships instead of paying for upgrades
      • Starfield Ship Builder system.
      • However, don't spend all your money on ship upgrades right away. The likelihood is that you'll soon start to complete missions like the Mantis side-mission which reward you with entirely new ships that will make all your hard work modifying your first ship seem like, frankly, a big waste of credits.
    • Greatest Risk of death is in the FlightDeck
      • Force yourself to learn how to fly, because there's a fair bit to learn, and it's far easier to be killed in a dogfight than in-person.
      • You turn quickest when your speed gauge is in the middle
      • You can't perform a Grav Jump without at least one point of power in your GRV gauge
      • You can only dock with and board a ship or pick up loot if you're within 500 metres of it. It's all worth knowing and experiencing for yourself.
    • Use Boost Pack and Amps to cover ground more Quickly
    • A red icon next to an item means you are stealing
    • Know Your Afflictions
      • Two categories: injuries, and infections. And each type of injury or infection you get requires a different consumable item to cure it.
      • Match the colour of the affliction with the colour of the icon on the aid item if you want to cure it. Either that, or check our handy table listing all the Starfield status effects and their cures.
    • Learn how Outposts Work- Home away from home, Rest point, Storage facility. They bring in resources at a rate you can't get in any other way. If in system not owned by a faction, a great place to store contraband.
    • Don't ignore Research Stations- Basement of the Lodge and one on your ship. Add resources to projects that you want to unlock them.
Companions, Followers, and Romance
  • Starfield Companions: https://www.polygon.com/starfield-guide/23853471/companion-crew-member-hire-recruit
  • Remember to assign your crew members- to outposts, or ship to make the most of their talents.
  • How to trade with your companion https://www.thegamer.com/starfield-change-companion-gear-weapon-outfits-guide/
    • Talk to Companion. Select the dialogue option, "Let's trade gear."
    • Opens the current items your companion has in their inventory. Their stock gear does not appear.
    • Cycle through using the “Inventory” button to see your own inventory, your ship’s inventory (if in or near your ship), and then your companion’s inventory.
    • Transfer items here between your inventory and your companion’s- Find item to give to your companion, press the “Trade” keybinding to put into their inventory. Cycle into their inventory, and you can select the appropriate items you want them to have equipped.
      • The "Equip" keybinding in your companion menu will likely be different from your normal "Equip" keybinding.
  • List of Companions, Followers, Romance Options: https://www.windowscentral.com/gami...t-of-companions-followers-and-romance-options Info: Starfield further improves past companion systems by allowing you to give your travelling buddies different jobs and positions. You can assign your companions to your spaceship or to your different outposts that you've built, allowing them to manage things when you're not around and providing special bonuses.

Companions in Starfield bring their own unique skillset, meaning they have different advantages and disadvantages depending on where they're assigned. Each skill a companion has is rated from 1 star to 4 stars, with more stars indicating a higher level for that particular skill.

In the 2023 Starfield Direct, Bethesda Game Studios noted that there are both companions and crew members. Your "core" companions are the five members of Constellation that you can take out with you on your adventures, but there's many others to find out in the world as well, and even one that's exclusive to a particular Trait. Meanwhile, there are others like robots you build, who can be assigned to your ship and your outposts, which fall under the "crew" designation.
  • Is the Adoring Fan too annoying? You can get rid of the Adoring Fan by speaking to him and either telling him to get lost, or attacking him. Link
Game Mechanics
  • Save often. Hit F5 to quicksave and F8 to quickload. Link
  • Photo Modein Starfield that you can use at any time by entering the pause menu. Your saved photos will then be used as loading screen wallpapers.
  • Toggle- your helmet and spacesuit to be hidden in breathable areas and settlements respectively- Do this from the inventory menu (look at the buttons in the bottom-right corner).
    • Huntn Caution- Make sure your character menu shows you in space suit there, even if you've turned off it's appearance. If you are not seeing your space suit, you are not wearing it, and the game will let you proceed out into a hostile atmosphere without a warning. Also this has been glitchy for me. I’ve turned off it’s appearance, but it still shows up in a breathable atmosphere.
  • Chests that contain loot have a green light on them to differentiate them from empty chests.
  • Addiction- The game has an addiction system. Using combat enhancers often can cause you to develop an addiction to them, requiring you to seek treatment for it you need to get rid of it.
  • Make life easier by using the auto-hack option while lockpicking, and the auto-persuade option while in a speech challenge.Link
  • Commerce- The value of an item is NOT the same as its sell price. Invest in the Commerce skill to bring the two values closer together! Link
  • Commerce 2- Vendors have a finite amount of credits. If you run a vendor's credit pool dry and can no longer sell to them, simply pass time for 48 hours and both their credits and their stock of items will be reset. Link
  • Encumbrance: Unlike in past Bethesda RPGs you do not move slower when over encumbered. When carrying too much all that happens is your oxygen begins depleting when moving. So if there's an item of value don't worry you can pick it up, but just bear in mind you won't be able to fast travel while carrying too much.
  • Rename Your Ship- You can rename your ship from the Flight Check screen in the Ship Builder. Link
  • Pick up and rotate items- inworld in exactly the same way as your could in Skyrim. Hold down the interact button and use left-click and right-click (or triggers on controller). Useful for organising and decorating! Link
  • How to pick a lock
    • There will be 4 circular diagrams with patterns
    • Q to cycle though diagrams pick the one closet to your pin configuration. The pins change with each diagram;
    • Rotate the pins (I'm using left and right arrow, maybe K, M) until they match, and then slot it with E
    • Sometimes there are more holes than pins. If the pins you have line up, it should work.
  • What Time is it? Tab, Planet on left under that will time the time in UT (Universal time)
    • At one point I swear I could see local time when I pulled up this Tab menu. But now I’m not seeing a local time.
    • How to skip time- In order to skip time in Starfield, players must either select Sit on a seat or Sleep on a bed and then choose the Wait or Sleep option.
    • Where to see time- When you Sit or Sleep, both local and UT are shown with a calculation about how many hours on the planet you are on equals how many hours of UT.
    • Local vs Universal time: https://www.gameskinny.com/tips/starfield-universal-time-and-local-time-explained/
  • New Game+ You can earn increasingly powerful versions of a Starborn ship by starting New Game+ and completing the story multiple times.
Combat
  • Also see Ship Combat in seperate section.
  • Holster Your Weapon- by holding down the reload button. Link
  • Many basic mechanics are tied to skills such as the ability to target key parts of enemy ships, so you'll need to unlock those skills ASAP (Targeting Control Systems)
  • Use weapon Hotkeys- Same as previous Bethesda Titles.
    • Designate weapon as Favorite- Find it in your inventory an select Favorite, then select a numbered slot in the Quick Keys menu.
    • Q to access the Hotbar Items can be selected by number or by selecting from the Hotbar.
  • Ammo weighs nothing.
  • If you see a computer in a hostile area, interact with it- There's often an option to disable defences and turrets or otherwise swing things in your favour for the upcoming fight. Link
  • After commandeering a ship- Loot the ship's Cargo Hold and the captain's closet for items!
Ships
Ship Links:

Your Ship
  • Ship readout
    • Las- Laser
    • Bal- Balistic Weapons
    • Msl- Missiles
    • ENG- Engine
    • SHD- Shield
    • GRV- Grav Drive
    • HULL- Hull integrity
    • Docking at a station- Slowly approach the target beacon, make sure the ship is selected when Dock “R” pops up, hold R.
  • Check Your Crew is onboard (Ship)- Tab (Menu), Ship (Lower Left), C- Crew (Bottom Right)- Vasco, your follower robot, why did he not walk onboard when you leave? Sometimes he does. I though I heard him mention a place as in some compartment on the ship where he rides. Anyway when boarded you can check and see if he is listed in the crew list. I've noticed this phenomena in elevators. You get on, but he does not, and after the door closes, he will be there, or after you get out, he'll be there. https://www.polygon.com/starfield-guide/23860449/how-to-assign-crew-members-ships-outposts
  • Loot destroyed ships-https://primagames.com/tips/how-to-loot-destroyed-ships-in-starfield
    • F scan
    • Within 500 meters, E to collect (Don’t hold E or you’ll get out of your seat).
  • Fueling your ship
  • Hail Ships- just about any ship in Starfield, and you'll often be able to trade with them as well.
  • Ship Building- It appears there are set pieces so you are putting together existing modules, not creating new pieces. The following first link are not that impressive:

For an alternative in player built, ship building there are some amazing ships in Imperium Galactic Survival. These start off as little pieces. Made in the Steam Workshop, you can download for free!
  • Rank up Piloting Skills Fast: https://www.ign.com/wikis/starfield/How_to_Rank_Up_Piloting_and_Ship_Skills_Quickly
Ship Combat
  • Lasers vs Ballistics/Missiles
    A quote from online:
    Lasers are better for taking out shields, ballistics for hull. In other sci-fi lore, ballistics generally are used to do structural damage, whereas energy weapons are reserved for degrading energy -based defenses.
    *As a general rule lasers first, missiles, then ballistics/missiles.
  • When upgrading ships look at weapon stats- Some weapons damage both shields and hulls.
  • Heal your ship in mid-combat using Ship Parts- They'll heal 40% of your hull HP over 10 seconds. But they're very heavy, so make sure they're kept in your ship cargo hold rather than your personal inventory. Link
Navigation/Exploration
  • The Map (L)- it’s the worst map I’ve ever seen. There are no diagrams of city streets, just a icon in a direction, so you have to figure out the best way to get there though trial and error. If you are looking round the horizon for a floating marker, you need to make sure you have the correct quest loaded, there maybe several markers, for the current quest or other quests. You can look at your watch, the small navigation circle at the bottom left of your screen, that same navigation icon(s) appears on that too. You'll still have to navigate the landscape, not the best inside of a building.
  • Tip for Navigating on Foot: If you pull up your scan (F key) not only will some objects be identified, but handy footsteps appear on the ground to the location active in your quest log.
  • Navigate Space-hopefully I've not made this more complex than it needs to be...(Huntn)
    • Tab (Player Menu)
      • Left Side Current Planet you are orbiting.
      • Set Course to location on Planet (R)
      • Esc- to see the system you are in shows sun and planets.
    • Tab- back to Galaxy View
      • If Mission is selected, you should see it as a desintation on the Galaxy View.
      • Move mouse over destination System and a line will appear.
        • Click to line of indicated course.
        • X to set Course.
          • You’ll see Data about the course including the fuel required
          • Click on the destination again, the course will turn blue and you’ll gat a Jump (X)
      • Arrive at Destination.
    • Tab - To see Planet on left
      • Click on it for a closup of the planet.
      • Use WSAD if necessary to rotate the planet.
      • Of note, you can hit R to do a general scan of planet to show resources.
      • •Move cursor over the Desination, and you’ll get an “X” to select to land there.
  • Use Hand Scanner to Navigate: If you're unsure of how to get to where you're going, open the hand scanner and follow the arrows that appear on the floor. Link
  • Exploring the Stars You can tell which stars in the Starmap you've already explored because they'll have a glow around them, whereas unvisited stars will have no glow. Link
  • Grab Jump- Be ready- When grav jumping to a new location, you will often find yourself arriving right in the middle of a Situation™. Be ready for a fight against Spacers, Crimson Fleet pirates, Va'Ruun zealots, and whoever else is out there. Link
  • ReScan Planets0 Once you've unlocked more ranks in the Scanning skill, make a point to go back and rescan old planets to uncover rarer and more valuable resources.Link

Mining/Surveying/Scanning
Survey Planets
Crafting
  • You cannot disassemble items for crafting components like in Fallout 4, so only grab things that have value. The rule of thumb is if the value of the item is x10 more than the weight of it, pick it up.
  • Don't bother using crafting to try to quickly level up like in Skyrim and Fallout 4 because crafting items only gives you 1 XP point.
  • From a crafting station menu, you can track items you need for a particular crafting or research project. Those items will be highlighted when you come across them in the world. Link
Quests
  • If you find a data slate from a dead Spacer about a Secret Outpost and it mentions "Mantis," STOP EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING AND DO THAT QUEST IMMEDIATELY. You'll thank me later- @Spaceboi Scaphandre (Walkthrough- I have not read)
Mods
Cheating/Consol Action
How to Fix Starfield Bugged Quests.
https://www.ign.com/wikis/starfield...and_Edit_Quest_Progress_with_Console_Commands

Summary-The following is an example of how to fix a bugged quest.
  • Quest name: Due in Full, the second mission in this chain is Kill Delinquent Spacer Ship (Quest ID: 002AD3D5)- In this quest, bank is the employer and you are out collecting delinquent loans, so there are many stages as you are assigned a target, collect the debt, and return to the banker Landry Hollifeld, then go out on the next stage.

This quest is bugged for the second collection, the delinquent spacer ship at Porroma IIB. You go to the location indicated, and there maybe some pirate ships, but no target ship.
  • The kind good news is that there was a pointer to that ship over in the Sol System. I flew to the Sol and there, found the ship drifting, I could not interact with it, nor "kill it", and there was no way to complete the quest at this point without use of the Console.
  • First off you must find the Quest ID.
  • Strategy:
    • Make a save First.
    • Pull up the consol: Tilde key (~).
    • Use “HELP” with Quest Name Key or Associated words: Help Delinquent (or Paid)- "Delinquent" is one of the quest key words and I got many results, but no “GUST” (quest) entries, but did get a number that looked like a quest number but it was not: 0026ED4A. I know because the follow on commands did not work with this number.
    • No key worlds helped find this quest. So I looked it up online:
    • https://starfieldwiki.net/wiki/Starfield:Due_in_Full: Quest ID : RAD05 (But whoops, that is not a correct Quest ID either, although apparently this is a Radiant Quest). However there is a stage list posted there to compare with what you'll find in the game. Keep reading.
    • Went to Resedit and found the Quest ID in this thread: 002AD3D5 https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/169kioa
  • Show Quest Stages, Type: SQS 002AD3D5- This command worked!! It produces a list of stages for this quest chain. This confirmed that Stage 150 was complete, and that Stage 200 was “not set” , and it matched up with the previous link I mentioned showing stages, and it coincided with were I was at in this quest.
  • SetStage 002AD3D5 200- This command "SetStage" followed by quest ID "002AD353", followed by the stage we want to complete "200" changes its status to complete. Think of it this way, the stage is active, and “setting it“ will complete the stage, as in it's now set.
  • I came back into game and was told that this stage was complete and to return to Landry. 😁

Last edited:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Some protips from someone who logged 60+ hours during the Premium Edition Early Access period

• Any Gas Giant or asteroid you see, survey it from the Starmap as since you can't land on them they're effectively free survey datas, survey data you can then sell for a lot of money on The Eye. (DO NOT SELL SURVEY DATA TO THE TRADE AUTHORITY THEY PAY PENNIES. ONLY SELL THEM AT THE EYE.) Selling the Survey Data will help you get a lot of money fast
  • If you find a data slate from a dead Spacer about a Secret Outpost and it mentions "Mantis," STOP EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING AND DO THAT QUEST IMMEDIATELY. You'll thank me later
  • Sleep often as much as you can in beds as you get big XP boosts doing so. Your starter ship the Frontier has a bed in it so you have no excuse not to sleep whenever you can.
  • Many basic mechanics are tied to skills such as pickpocketing and the ability to target key parts of enemy ships, so you'll need to unlock those skills ASAP
  • You cannot disassemble items for crafting components like in Fallout 4, so only grab things that have value. The rule of thumb is if the value of the item is x10 more than the weight of it, pick it up
  • Don't bother using crafting to try to quickly level up like in Skyrim and Fallout 4 because crafting items only gives you 1 XP point.
  • Unlike in past Bethesda RPGs you do not move slower when over encumbered. When carrying too much all that happens is your oxygen begins depleting when moving. So if there's an item of value don't worry you can pick it up, but just bear in mind you won't be able to fast travel while carrying too much.
  • Talk to Vasco in The Lodge to unlock the ability to build Outposts.
  • There is no FOV slider for some reason, so if the FOV is too low for you, you'll have to download a mod to fix that https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/99
  • There is also no PlayStation button prompts so if you use a Dualshock or Dualsense as your gamepad like I do there's a mod to fix that https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/478
  • If you use an Nvidia or Intel GPU there's no DLSS or XeSS, only FSR. There is a mod to add DLSS https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/761
  • The game has an addiction system. Using combat enhancers often can cause you to develop an addiction to them, requiring you to seek treatment for it.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm going to be laughed at, but it's better to be honest. I was basically going to wait, until Oct to play this, but somehow ;) , I found $70 spare dollars. And @Queen6, after I made my bold statement, told me that patience was a virtue... :oops:. Any way, I'm in and started this thread. @Spaceboi Scaphandre thanks much for your tips! :) I've just spent an hour customizing my character, and I still have Background and Traits to decide on. First I thought it was easy, and the polygon articles have good recommendations, but I'm thinking I need to think about later in the game.

Background and Traits-
A nice big fancy house would be great to have, but do I need one, is that the only opportunity to get this house, or are there other better places to call home? Plus I'm mulling over being a pilot, stealth, versus Melee person, although I admit in the last Bethesda game, F4, I never use melee, always stealth, pistol, sniper rifle. Melee is a blast in Skyrim, and Cyberpunk 2077, but this game, I have other considerations, like how hard is it to get your Captain rating, versus being good with stealth combat, which is something I loved in F4, but there is soldier vs stealth guy or just running and gunning...

For anyone playing, what did you choose and why?

Queen6

macrumors G4
I'm going to be laughed at, but it's better to be honest. I was basically going to wait, until Oct to play this, but somehow ;) , I found $70 spare dollars. And @Queen6, after I made my bold statement, told me that patience was a virtue... :oops:. Any way, I'm in and started this thread. @Spaceboi Scaphandre thanks much for your tips! :) I've just spent an hour customizing my character, and I still have Background and Traits to decide on. First I thought it was easy, and the polygon articles have good recommendations, but I'm thinking I need to think about later in the game.

Background and Traits-
A nice big fancy house would be great to have, but do I need one, is that the only opportunity to get this house, or are there other better places to call home? Plus I'm mulling over being a pilot, stealth, versus Melee person, although I admit in the last Bethesda game, F4, I never use melee, always stealth, pistol, sniper rifle. Melee is a blast in Skyrim, and Cyberpunk 2077, but this game, I have other considerations, like how hard is it to get your Captain rating, versus being good with stealth combat, which is something I loved in F4, but there is soldier vs stealth guy or just running and gunning...

For anyone playing, what did you choose and why?
Breaking strain of a KitKat LOL...

Enjoy :)

Q-6

• Haha
Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's my thoughts on early game skill points
Weightlifting - you need to increase carry weight
Commerce - better pricing means more funds and the ability to buy more stuff
Boost pack - jet pack improvements
Security - Lock picking. I found in Bethesda games, you find a lot of interesting stuff and even shortcuts (locked doors) when you can pick a lock.
Combat (ballistics/laser/shotgun)
Stealth - first level gives you the stealth meter so you know if you're hidden or not.

I have 4 points to use, as of today, I'll probably start off with weightlifting, Ballistics, security and a toss up between commerce and boost pack. If this tracks like other Bethesda games, money will be very tight in the early game but you'll be flush with credits in the latter stages, yet I can see an immediate advantage regarding boost pack

I'm not sure who well stealth will work in this game, in Skyrim, its great, in Fallout 4 its helpful, and Fallout 76 is not needed as you're almost always fighting hordes or in an event and stealth is not happening

Just my $.02

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The Stealth perk is useful if you are taking on higher leveled enemies (along with a silenced weapon). You do more damage as long as they don’t find you.

Reactions: maflynn and Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A couple of videos on getting a nice ship and some weapons.

Be forewarned these videos have some minor spoilerss, so proceed at your own risk

Coincidently, I just so happen to be doing the very quest that is mentioned in this video, so I'm eager to see if I can snag that ship and armor

I've not fully watched this video, but I'm placing it for your viewing pleasure.

• Love

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looting in the game seems somewhat different then fallout games. It makes no sense to fill up your inventory with Styrofoam cups. Also mentioned grabbing weapons to scrap them doesn't seem to be a thing. Kind of a bummer, that was a nice way to learn modding plans for weapons

Another tip, don't favorite your mining laser, it becomes active when you use your scanner. Plus keeping your scanner active will highlight stuff that may be hard to see, and if you get lost it provides markers to your quest destination

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Looting in the game seems somewhat different then fallout games. It makes no sense to fill up your inventory with Styrofoam cups. Also mentioned grabbing weapons to scrap them doesn't seem to be a thing. Kind of a bummer, that was a nice way to learn modding plans for weapons

Another tip, don't favorite your mining laser, it becomes active when you use your scanner. Plus keeping your scanner active will highlight stuff that may be hard to see, and if you get lost it provides markers to your quest destination
On that note, the Mining Laser actually does a fair bit of damage up close.

Reactions: maflynn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Building My First Character: Soldier
This is not a build, just a starting point.
  1. Starting my first Character I looked at Part 1 about skills offered. Decided what skills I think I want and bolded them.
  2. I looked at the Backgrounds and picked the one that aligned closest with my preferred skill list.
  3. Then I looked at the "preferred" Start Skills according to the linked article. Based on the Skills, I would have chosen Space Scoundrel because it had 3 of the skills I wanted, but I decided to honor what they thought was the best so instead chose Soldier, primarily because they put so much emphasis on Boost Pack Training.
  4. I also followed the recommendations for Traits... About that Dream House. It comes with a $125000 Mortgage and from what I read, it's one of the, if not the nicest home in the game, and you can pick up quests from the Mortgage Lender to hunt down people who have defaulted on their loans. Everything I've read online says don't sweat the cost of the home. It's reported to be easy to pay off, and it's recommended you focus your attention on paying if off first. There is some mention of $500 a week interest to access your house? Not sure because I've read if you make a payment, this amount is removed from what you owe. Anyway, I've decide just to earn the money first, and then go to the mortgage place and pay it off in one chunk. You checked in at the lodge, you can let the Main Constellation Quest sit, until you get the house thing taken care of. Now if you have no interested in a "dream house" then just blow off this part. :D https://www.ign.com/wikis/starfield/How_to_Visit_Your_Dream_Home_(and_Pay_Off_Your_Mortgage)

Part 1: Skills

Skill List:
https://www.ign.com/wikis/starfield/All_Skills_and_Rank_Challenges
How Skills Work: Raising skills in Starfield may not work the same was as in other games, including previous Bethesda Titles. For example, In Fallout 4, Sneak is an Agility perk and once you get it, you can sneak (crouch) to your hearts content and raise your Sneak Skill continuously.

In Starfield, you have to choose the skill, and then there is a specific action required to raise each skill. For the sneak skill, attack from stealth. Actually I'm not exactly sure what that means other than I think it means attack from a position where you have not been discovered, not seen, and not sure if a death is required or not.

So every skill has a specific requirement. Some are easier than others. For Persuasion, you just have to persuade someone, this comes naturally when the situation arises. But look at fitness, this is the silliest one I've seen. You have to run continuous until you 02 meter depletes, and then a red bar starts to climb, once that maxes out you'll more or less be forced to stop and you will have raised your skill 1 point. The to reach level 2 would be to do this 20 times to compete Level 1.

Look at the Pilot skill, you can fly a ship without the Pilot Skill, but you can't raise your pilot skills without shooting this skill and killing enemy ships.

Skills I want: The game does not have official character classes, you just assemble what you want. I think the trick is not to spread yourself too thinly. So not a build, more of a starting point. Although you could say all skills are valuable some or more important the stone you get them. I bolded my desired skills.

Skills from List (link under part 2)
Physical
Boxing – Unarmed attacks do 25% more damage. 25% less O2 is used when using a power attack
Fitness – You have 10% more O2 available.
Stealth – Adds a Stealth Meter. You are 25% more difficult to detect when sneaking. Suppressed weapons do an additional 5% sneak attack damage.
Weight Lifting – Increase total carrying capacity by 10 kilograms
Wellness – Increase your maximum health by 10%.

Social
Commerce – Buy for 5% less and sell for 10% more.
Gastronomy – You can craft specialty food and drinks and research additional recipes at a Research Lab.
Persuasion – 10% increased chance of success when persuading someone.
Scavenging – There’s a chance you’ll find extra credits when searching containers.
Theft – Unlock the ability to pickpocket targets.

Combat
Ballistic
– Ballistic weapons (any ranged weapon that deals physical damage) do 10% more damage.
Dueling – Melee weapons do 25% more damage. Take 10% less damage while wielding a melee weapon.
Lasers – Laser weapons do 10% more damage.
Pistol Certification – Pistols do 10% more damage.
Shotgun Certification – Shotguns do 10% more damage.

Science
Astrodynamics
– Increase grav jump range of jump drives by 15%.
Geology – Get more common and uncommon inorganic resources from surface objects.
Medicine – Med Packs, Trauma Packs, and Emergency Kits restore 10% additional health 10% faster.
Research Methods – Resources required to craft items and complete research projects is reduced by 10%.
Surveying – Adds an optional zoom to the hand scanner and scan distance is increased by 20 meters.

Tech
Ballistic Weapon Systems
– Ballistic ship weapons have 10% increased damage and cost 20% less to use in Targeting Mode.
Boost Pack Training – You can now utilize boost packs.
Piloting – You can now utilize ship thrusters (which is the ability to strafe).
Security – You can attempt to hack Advanced locks and two auto attempts can be banked.
Targeting Control Systems – Unlocks ship targeting functionality.

Part 2: Best Backgrounds to get the Start Skills you want
Best Background for starting stats:
I skills I prefer are bolded.
https://www.pcinvasion.com/best-starfield-backgrounds-ranked/
  • Space Scoundrel- Pistol, Piloting, Persuasion
  • Soldier- Fitness, Ballistics, Boost Pack Training
  • Bouncer- Boxing, Security, Fitness
  • Bounty Hunter- Piloting, Targeting Control Systems, Boost Pack Training
  • Cyberneticist- Medicine, Security, Lasers
  • Homesteader-Geology, Surveying, Weight Lifting
  • Long Hauler- Weight Lifting, Piloting, Ballistic Weapon Systems
  • Sculptor- Medicine, Geology, Persuasion
  • Xenobiologist- Lasers, Surveying, Fitnes
Part 3: Best Recommended Start Skills
Best Start Skills: https://www.pcinvasion.com/best-starfield-starter-skills-explained-and-ranked/

S-Tier Starfield starter skills
Boost Pack
Stealth
Fitness
Wellness
Security
Ballistic

Part 4: Best Recommended Traits
Best Traits List

https://www.pcinvasion.com/best-starfield-traits-ranked/
S-Tier Traits in Starfield
Extrovert
Terra Firma
Dream Home

Wanted

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Questions-
  • Flying Ship- Is there a key to roll your ship? I've not found it. As it is, fighting in space seems a bit nerfed.
  • Your Watch- Can you actually look at the watch they gave you at the Lodge?
Stuff I'm going to incorporate into the first post:
  • The Map (L)- it’s the worst map I’ve ever seen. There are no diagrams of city streets, just a icon in a direction, so you have to figure out the best way to get there. If you are looking round the horizon for a floating marker, you need to make sure you have the correct quest loaded, and you can look at the small navigation circle, that same icon appears on that too.
  • How to get a boost pack- Every player will get given a free Boost Pack in the game when they reach Constellation's Lodge in New Atlantis. You can also find Boost Packs for sale, or get them off your victems. :) https://www.dexerto.com/starfield/how-to-get-boost-pack-in-starfield-how-to-use-it-2274696/
  • How to pick a lock
    • There will be 4 circular diagrams with patterns
    • Q to cycle though diagrams pick the one closet to your pin configuration
    • Rotate the pins (I'm using left and right arrow) until they match, and then slot it with E
    • Sometimes there are more holes than pins. If the pins you have line up, it should work.
  • What Time is it? Tab, Planet on left under that will time the time in UT (Universal time)
    • At one point I swear I could see local time when I pulled up this Tab menu. But now I’m not seeing a local time.
    • How to skip time- In order to skip time in Starfield, players must either select Sit on a seat or Sleep on a bed and then choose the Wait option.
    • Where to see time- When you Sit or Sleep, both local and UT are shown with a calculation about how many hours on the planet you are on equals how many hours of UT.
    • Local vs Universal time: https://www.gameskinny.com/tips/starfield-universal-time-and-local-time-explained/
  • Check Crew on Ship- Tab (Menu), Ship (Lower Left), C- Crew (Bottom Right)- https://www.polygon.com/starfield-guide/23860449/how-to-assign-crew-members-ships-outposts

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
If you level up security skill the barrels of the locks turn blue for picks that will work with it. That makes it easier to not waste as many digipiks on retrys.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Questions-
  • Flying Ship- Is there a key to roll your ship? I've not found it. As it is, fighting in space seems a bit nerfed.

A and D are the roll keys for a keyboard. Alternatively, use a gamepad while flying like I do.

• Your Watch- Can you actually look at the watch they gave you at the Lodge?

The Watch is that hud element at the bottom left. It keeps track of your oxygen, planet atmosphere and temps, and yes, it also tells the time, tracking the planet's solar positioning.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
If you level up security skill the barrels of the locks turn blue for picks that will work with it. That makes it easier to not waste as many digipiks on retrys.

Also the picks keep their positioning if you deselect it. So what I do is before I start inserting picks I line them up to see which picks can fit where, and if they all match then I start inserting. Prevents having to waste picks to undo and makes Expert and Master locks a breeze. Also don't be afraid to use the Auto-Slot whenever available as it's a huge time saver and makes the bigger puzzles easier to do

Remember: Some of the picks on the harder ones are dummies that don't fit into anything, so you can ignore them if you don't see any of the locks turning blue.

Reactions: diamond.g

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Lock picking is really confusing to me. I don't have any examples but I found even on the easy locks that I line up the pins to the holes, and hit the key and the screen flashes but the same circle exists. It didn't disappear and so I don't have access to the inner circle.

I'll have to watch more YT on this. I get through but I use up more digipicks then I thought I should

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Lock picking is really confusing to me. I don't have any examples but I found even on the easy locks that I line up the pins to the holes, and hit the key and the screen flashes but the same circle exists. It didn't disappear and so I don't have access to the inner circle.

I'll have to watch more YT on this. I get through but I use up more digipicks then I thought I should
You playing with K/M? E is the place button for lock picking. I think it flashes if the pins don't fit? I am not home to check at the moment.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You playing with K/M? E is the place button for lock picking. I think it flashes if the pins don't fit? I am not home to check at the moment.
I'm currently working and, in game I'm not near any opportunities. To answer your questions, I'm using the keyboard. I don't recall using the K and M keys

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This video explains what I'm seeing. In short if there's 5 slots in the ring, and you only have picks that 2 pins and 3 pins, then you need to use both to pick the lock

1694527868813.png

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I'm currently working and, in game I'm not near any opportunities. To answer your questions, I'm using the keyboard. I don't recall using the K and M keys
Sorry K/M is Keyboard and Mouse. Yeah the game gives you picks that don't fit the pins (the skill at max level allows you discard those unusable ones).

Reactions: maflynn

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

Here this will help:

IGN's guide really helped me learn how to lockpick in Starfield, and now I get it that I can bust open any master lock with just one Digipick. Only problem is now I'm having trouble finding Digipicks since I now open everything I see lol. I'm just that good with the puzzles.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A and D are the roll keys for a keyboard. Alternatively, use a gamepad while flying like I do.

The Watch is that hud element at the bottom left. It keeps track of your oxygen, planet atmosphere and temps, and yes, it also tells the time, tracking the planet's solar positioning.
A and D did not seem to do that fo me, just swing the nose of the ship left, right, no rolling. I’ll look a it again. Ok Duh. :) It’s like the Fallout 4 Pip-boy. Too bad the watch does not have both UT and Local time or did I miss something else? :oops: Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.