Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Here's my understanding. The planet you visit, be it Jameison, akila city, or Hopetown. They each of ship parts that the others don't. Landing pads have all of those common parts available (for your level), there still some unique parts that various planets have that don't show up at your outpost, but your outpost has more selection then any one planet
Sorry if this is repetitive… Having not yet done it due to lack of funds, if you want to build a new ship from scratch my understanding is first of all it can’t be from scratch (I read that) you have to start with an existing ship? And as I think you explained, you have to have the minimum required parts to make a ship to save it, cockpit, habitat, engine… but then you have to buy pieces you may not want to get something you can save? So if you leave your design hanging incomplete, will it remain as altered, of if you leave befiore it’s finished, will it revert back to what it was before?

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think with each different habit type, the doors can be located in the front or rear of the habitat. I'm still playing around with it. There are habitat sections that strictly hallways and so no doors on them, I'm trying to see how best to incorporate them
There seems to be some limits that really reduce the creative ability of ship creation. If you look at Imperium Galactic Survival, it actually has huge flexibility in ship build designs, the interiors of those ships can be spectacular. But as I stated in a previous post, these IGS ships, especially if you build large ships have restricted performance. That was the status of that game 2 years ago. At least what you build in Starfield will function.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
, if you want to build a new ship from scratch my understanding is first of all it can’t be from scratch (I read that) you have to start with an existing ship?
Correct, what many people do is, select build, double click the ship (to select all) and then delete. You now have a blank canvas to start over.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Correct, what many people do is, select build, double click the ship (to select all) and then delete. You now have a blank canvas to start over.
Glad I kept those 2 commandeered ships. And there could always be some parts you can use. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Starfield physics- Ok next question directed to the peanut gallery. Does Starfield use real space propulsion physics, outside of grav drive? When I was building, in Imperium Galactic Survival, I had to have thrusters/engines pointing in every direction (2 axis, 4 direction). Is this true of Starfield? I looked for an article on Starfield physics and have not found one yet…

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I not aware of many games where you travel in a space ship where "newtonian physics" is adhered to. I assume this is because folks would find space combat cumbersome. 🤷‍♂️

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Spaceflight in the game is completely unrealistic.
Of course, would you play a game that offered actual realistic space physics? No internal gravity (unless the ship was spinning), no FTL travel, taking centuries to reach different solar systems, dealing with radiation in space - that would not really be fun

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Sure. There’s one that’s supposed to come out soon that features realistic flight, it’s called In The Black. Radiation isn’t the problem it’s made out to be in the popular press (which doesn’t mean it isn’t an issue, only that solutions for it are well known and have been for decades, with some newer ones appearing recently). I also played and enjoyed Children of a Dead Earth, which features realistic spaceflight, and Shattered Horizon, which is semi-realistic but still does better than many games.

Realistic space physics can be fun, it just has to be intelligently used. Yeah, at present that means no FTL, no artificial gravity absent rotation, but I think that would end up forcing more creativity if someone followed through. Imagine a Starfield-esque game set in the solar system; you could still have space and ground combat, mysterious worlds, unique environments, terrors, and none of it breaking the laws of physics - or at least, not breaking it very much.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
How to Fix Starfield Bugged Quests.
https://www.ign.com/wikis/starfield...and_Edit_Quest_Progress_with_Console_Commands

Will be placed in Post 1
Summary

• Quest name: Due in Full, the second mission to go Kill Delinquent Spacer Ship (002AD3D5)- In this quest, your bank is the employer and you are out collecting delinquent loans, so there are many stages as you are assigned a target, you collect the debt, and return to the banker Landry, then go out on the next stage.

This quest is bugged for the Stage where you have to locate the delinquent spacer ship at Porroma IIB. You go to the location indicated, and there maybe some pirate ships, but no target ship.
  • The kind good news is that there was a pointer to that ship over in the Sol System. I flew to the Sol and there, found the ship drifting, I could not interact with it, nor "kill it", and there was no way to complete the quest at this point without use of the Console. First off you must find the Quest ID.
  • Strategy:
    • Make a save First.
    • Pull up the consol: Tilde key (~).
    • Use “HELP” with Quest Name Key words: Help Delinquent (or Paid)- "Delinquent" is one of the quest key words and I got many results, but no “GUST” (quest) entries, but did get a number that looked like a quest number but it was not: 0026ED4A. I know because the follow on commands did not work with this number.
    • No key worlds helped find this quest. So I looked it up online:
    • https://starfieldwiki.net/wiki/Starfield:Due_in_Full: Quest ID : RAD05 (But whoops, that is not a correct Quest ID either, although apparently this is a Radiant Quest). However there is a stage list posted there to compare with what you'll find in the game. Keep reading.
    • Went to Resedit and found the Quest ID in this thread: 002AD3D5 https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/169kioa
  • Show Quest Stages, Type: SQS 002AD3D5- This command worked!! Got a list of stages. This confirmed that Stage 150 is complete, and that Stage 200 was “not set” , and it matched up with the previous link I mentioned, and which coincided with were I was at in this quest.
  • SetStage 002AD3D5 200- To make Starfield think this stage is complete. Type in this command. "SetStage" and the applicable stage number which will change the status of this stage from not complete to completed. Think of it this way, the stage is active, and “setting it“ will complete the stage.
  • Came back into game and was told that this stage was complete and to return to Landry. 😁
These are the stages for the Paid in Full Quest chain 150 showed complete, 200 showed not set.
StageFinishes MissionMission Entry
0(DEBUG START)
1(ON START)
100(Quest accepted)
I've been given a job from GalBank to collect some delinquent debt. Landry Hollifeld would prefer I handle it non-violently, if possible.
145(Hunting Pirates)
150(Reached Orbit)
200(Loan dealt with)
GalBank's debt has been collected. Now I just need to return to Landry Hollifeld in New Atlantis to get paid.
205(Target attacks)
210(Target killed)
220(Speech Challenge success)
230(Speech Challenge Failure)
240(Businesswoman no longer bound)
250(Received extra credits from Business)
260(PC paid Mercenary's Debt)
300((QC) Quest turned in)
I've dealt with one of GalBank's deadbeats and got rewarded for my efforts. But there are always more fish in this particular sea.
8900(Landry Killed - Fail Quest Forever)

(Target killed)

220(Speech Challenge success)
230(Speech Challenge Failure)
240(Businesswoman no longer bound)
250(Received extra credits from Business)
260(PC paid Mercenary's Debt)
300((QC) Quest turned in)
I've dealt with one of GalBank's deadbeats and got rewarded for my efforts. But there are always more fish in this particular sea.
8900(Landry Killed - Fail Quest Forever)

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There’s one that’s supposed to come out soon that features realistic flight, it’s called In The Black
So will that game take years to travel from one planet in our solar system to another, or are you bound to a single planet and can only orbit it?

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
What do people here generally think about this game. I’m not going to lie. I was a bit disappointed

It’s not bad at all, but it’s also not as amazing as the hype led on. Certainly not a game of the year contender for me

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
So will that game take years to travel from one planet in our solar system to another, or are you bound to a single planet and can only orbit it?
Neither. ‘Years’ is a limitation reserved for chemical and solar electric propulsion. Nuclear fusion will cut transit times across the solar system to days or weeks. It’s set two centuries from now, that’s plenty of time to invent practical fusion rockets.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Of course, would you play a game that offered actual realistic space physics? No internal gravity (unless the ship was spinning), no FTL travel, taking centuries to reach different solar systems, dealing with radiation in space - that would not really be fun
Except they faked an in space ship gravity tech, and they have grav wave tech for warping. I’m good with that. My point is space physics as in no air, no wings, you need to have thrusters to push, turn, and stop you.

Last edited:
Reactions: maflynn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What do people here generally think about this game. I’m not going to lie. I was a bit disappointed

It’s not bad at all, but it’s also not as amazing as the hype led on. Certainly not a game of the year contender for me
I’m not dissapointed at all, loving it, while recognizing it’s flaws. One example, I don’t like a canned takeoff sequence. I want to take off with me in control and fly to other spots on a planet, instead of fast traveling to those places. But my guess if I had this and a fast T.O. Sequence option like this canned sequence, I’d be using that a lot. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Isengardtom

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006

I’m enjoying it quite a bit. While I’d prefer being able to fly from surface to orbit and back, and anywhere in a system manually, the lack doesn’t bother me. It reminds me of KoTOR and Mass Effect, and I enjoyed both of those. My other complaints are more about the interface and some customization options currently missing (such as DLSS and HDR), but those are fixable. Is it the best game ever? Not at all. It’s well worth the time and money I’ve spent on it though, and I’ve only scratched a small portion of what’s possible.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nuclear fusion will cut transit times across the solar system to days or weeks. It’s set two centuries from now, that’s plenty of time to invent practical fusion rockets.
Here's the problem, that's just as unrealistic today as space travel in Starfield. It may have Newtonian physics but its no more realistic then starfield, I'm not trying to bust your balls but you came into the starfield thread just to dump on the game

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's another quick and dirty tip:
Save often, not just quick saves, but saves. I got burned yesterday because I was relying on the auto-saves, but they over-write themselves, as do quick saves. I lost enough progress that it ticked me off that I shut the game down for the day.

• Love

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Here's another quick and dirty tip:
Save often, not just quick saves, but saves. I got burned yesterday because I was relying on the auto-saves, but they over-write themselves, as do quick saves. I lost enough progress that it ticked me off that I shut the game down for the day.
I can’t say I’ve completely avoided this pitfall, but I tend to save prior to an anticipated event and after, then I go as far as keeping a save record file, where I note the location, and game progress to distinguish this save as unique, with a brief description of the save, prior to abandoned facility sweep on such and such a moon, or prior to making an important skill decision.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Here's the problem, that's just as unrealistic today as space travel in Starfield. It may have Newtonian physics but its no more realistic then starfield, I'm not trying to bust your balls but you came into the starfield thread just to dump on the game
What? How is saying Starfield’s space travel is unrealistic dumping on it? You completely misunderstood my motives - I wasn’t making a value judgment about the game, just a brief description. I’ve got sixty hours in the game so far and I’m having a good time, I’m not going to criticize things that don’t bother me. Don’t turn a molehill into a mountain.

As for In The Black being more or less realistic, it is more realistic. It is consistent with known physics, while Starfield doesn’t even pretend to be - which is fine! It doesn’t need to be to be fun. In The Black extrapolates engineering beyond what we presently have, but nothing that breaks physical laws. It is not a slam of Starfield to note that the physics are for fun and not realism - that isn’t the point of the game. It’s an RPG that uses space as a canvas, not as a building block.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My 2 Cents About Space Combat
This info maybe updated in the future…

I decided to take on a Mission Board mission- Destroy The Crimson Fleet Spector at Toliman. For reference, I am a L18, proud citizen of the United Colonies, flying an upgraded Razor Leaf. I have the Pilot 4 and Targeting 2 Skills.

I graved in, and was confronted by a UC ship warning me off that Toliman is quarantined due to terrormorph infestation. “Fine, I’ll leave” I said because my quest target was at one of Toliman’s moons, however, who knows, I may come back and push my luck. Graved in there to face a lot of red on my scope, 5 or 6 ships at a Crimson Fleet mayhem space party, also a lot of space debris.

Ok, game on, one of these ships zipping around I assumed was my target. I went after and killed some targets but died twice, but on the third try I prevailed.

I think I have confirmed some things about space combat.
  • Pilot Skills 1&2 are musts, increased use of thrusters, turn rate and maneuverability. (Pilot 3&4 if you want to fly/hijack Class B/C ships.) Level skill in the UC simulator.
  • Targeting Skills- Starfield’s version of “bullet time” (if you're familiar with the term), a MUST, the higher your skill, the greater your targeting buff and survivability in “1-V-many” fights. This makes such a difference. Level skill in the UC simulator. I believe this skill only raises if you kill a ship while in targeting mode.
    • Designate target (E).
    • Use weapon that primarily knocks down their shields.
    • Look for a Locked designator on your HUD, engage Targeting (R key) which gives you a close up, slowed down view of the enemy ship. Use A&D keys to select the system you want to target and blast away.
    • You don’t have to worry about pointing your cursor at the targeted system, your shots are directed there by the Targeting Skill. Think of this as the Tech skill it is, a system in your ship, even though it’s basically in you. Think of it as using The Force! ;)
    • I usually kill their engines first. If there is an opportunity to board, ie, not being shot by other ships, then disengage targeting to attempt to board them (Within 500m, R to board)
  • Acquire ship parts- (O key) Can be the difference between success and your corpse floating in space. :) Your ship has auto repair tech, to repair during combat, but it needs material by way of ship parts to make the repair. Pick them up from the dead bones of your ship kills or buy them and put them into your ships inventory. Under your inventory, they are found in the ”Aid” category.
  • Use Third Person ship view- (Q toggles) Another must for better situational awareness.
  • Engagement- DO NOT fly straight at your target at the start of an engagement if you are uncertain about relative strengths. Head on passes, you are shooting them and likely they are shooting you. Granted, in a 1V1 this (Head on passes) can work, but in a multi-ship “1-V-Many” engagement, the more you fly straight the more you are going to get shot by the other ships.

• Maneuvers- I approach this by flying at my top cruising speed, and when multiple targets appear in front of me , I turn 90 degrees, punch the burners, extend, and make a 2 axis turn in towards whoever I’ve designated. Shoot, shoot, shoot shields, Target engines, target shield system to kill them. Immediately hard turn, punch the burners, extend, turn back in for the next designated target.
3rd try was a charm, yes, there is a learning curve. I finally triumphed in the Crimson Fleet Spector engagement, without repair ship parts and with about a quarter inch of health left. I immediately saved. collected loot from dead ships pointed at my little arrows around the edge of your hud. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My Skills @ Level 22- I have all bolded except for Weapon Design. 4 Points to get this is rather steep. "R" means ranks 1-4. I'm doing enough surveying, I may get the skill under Science. I may drop the Laser skill as I'm using mostly ballistic hand weapons. There is no "re-spec" in the game, have to use the Console to change a Skill. Not a complete list of skills

Physical
  • Boxing-
  • Fitness- R2- Got this because I chose Soldier. It may help.
  • Stealth- R1 Perform sneak attacks.
    • R2- 20 sneak Attacks (L16)
  • Weight Lifting-
  • Wellness
Social
  • Persuasion-R1 (at L6)-Succeed in 23 Speech Challenges
    • R2- at (L12)
Combat
  • Ballistics-R1
    • R2-L20
  • Dueling-
  • Lasers- R1
  • Pistol Certification- R1(at L3)- kill 20 enemies with pistol.
    • R2- ?
    • R3- @L22
  • Rifle- R1
  • Shotgun Certification- R1 Kill -20 enemies with shotgun.
Science
  • Astrodynamics- increased grav jump range
  • Geology- better at desicovering minearls
  • Medicine- Better health kit effects in combat
  • Research Methods- complete projects faster
  • Surveying- Survey things farther away
  • Weapon Engineering-4 points to craft Silencers. Don't have this!

Tech
  • Ballistic Weapon Systems- more effective ship weapons
  • Boost Pack Training-R1 Boost jump 10 times in combat- (Got this by virtue of Soldier).
    • R2 @L21
  • Piloting-1(at L3) Destroy 5 ships to reach the next rank.
    • R2- (at L6)- Destroy 15 ships to reach the next rank.
    • R3- (at L11) -Pilot Class B Ships
    • R4- (at ?)- Pilot Class C Ships
  • Security- R1(@ L5) better hacking
  • Targeting at L? - target enemy ships vital systems, engine, shields, etc
    • R2 at (L18)
  • Starshield Design -R1 (@L20)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Move to Player:
I knew how to do this in F4, but confirmed it works here too, teleporting my companion to me. Sometimes I sprint across the landscape , turn around and my companion is no where to be seen. What is really itrritating is when I go into an airlock, my companion stands outside, I transistion to inside, I’m shooting and being shot at, and a couple minutes later I hear the airlock open and my companion finally joins me.

To confirm you companions ID number, hit the tilde key (~) click on your companion, there maybe other objects around that also produce numbers if you get your companion, you’ll see their name and a number in ( ). This is the number you use in the teleport command.
  • Tilde (~) -opens the consol.
  • Click on your Companion, their ID Code looks like this: NPC_’AndrejaREF (00059A9) [EP]
  • Type: “PRID 00059A9”- no quotes. This selects your companion.
  • Type: “moveto player 00059A9” -no quotes.
  • Tilde (~) -closes the consol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.