Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
As I said in the post above the one you replied to, the same simulation in Matlab R23b and Mosek 10.1 in a MBA 2014 took 10 hours. In MBP M3 Pro 12C/36GB took 3.5 minutes with native AS versions of the above-mentioned programs and 17 minutes with x86 versions.

Thanks. Your remark, the one I quoted to post that response, made no mention of a MBA from 2014.

That said, it would have been useful to learn how long a 2020 Intel MacBook Air (or Pro) would have taken for those tasks.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
I literally work exactly like that. I have my documents synced to icloud/365 and an external time machine disk plugged in at work all day - when i plug into my USB hub/power at my desk.

If my machine burns down with my house, i am already 90% synced from icloud, anything else is on the time machine disk stored off site from home (at work).

It isn’t hard to not lose data. People just don’t care about their data. You can (and many do) work like this using either macos, windows, or whatever.

And if you don’t work that way, i don’t care what machine you use, you’re at risk of data loss due to theft, fire, etc. Can all be avoided for the cost of cloud sync and a couple of hundred dollars on an external drive (or two, for 2 forms of disk backup if you’re not synching to cloud or other devices/network).

Not losing data has nothing to do with what machine you use. It’s just giving enough of a crap to make sure you have multiple copies in different places.

Basically, if you’re worried about data loss from hardware failure or theft - you’re doing it wrong.
I know it's something you feel passionately about, but come on, if someone steals your MacBook they're not going to be kind enough to unplug the Time Machine drive you have plugged in an leave that with you...

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
None of that seems to address his question of why these M-series Minis are available 'for parts' (implying they already don't work and have failed for some reason).
“There’s no endemic issues” addressed that. Reading comprehension is fundamental.

Kotsos81

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2023
Thanks. Your remark, the one I quoted to post that response, made no mention of a MBA from 2014.

That said, it would have been useful to learn how long a 2020 Intel MacBook Air (or Pro) would have taken for those tasks.
Again, in the previous post (not the one you quoted), I mentioned that all benchmarks (Cinebench, Geekbench, Passmark etc.) show a significant performance gap in both single-core and multi-core (which is the one that is relevant in my case) between M-series and latest Intel Macs. Naturally, the gap is larger when considering Pro and Max variants as well as when considering later M-series generations as opposed to earlier ones, since each generation brings along some performance improvements over the previous one. For example, to compare AS macs with Intel Macs: Geekbench 6 Mac benchmarks.

There is really no comparison... Of course, one could argue that Geekbench favors AS over x86 architectures.

OK then. To compare AS macs with current and older Intel and AMD CPUs used in PCs and macs: Cinebench 2024 multi-core...

...and Cinebench 2024 single-core:

As you can see, even M2 Max beats Intel Core i9 13900H and 13900HK in multicore (M3 Pro 12C is slightly faster, 1060 instead of 1050) and M3 Max 16C beats the HX versions of Intel and AMD! Also, in single-core, M3 Max is #1 and M3 #3.

Passmark suggests that M3 Pro 12C is on par with Intel Core i7-13700H and M3 Max 16C beats most HX CPUs from Intel and AMD!

Conclusion: M3 Pro/Max and even M3 are on par or better in many cases than equivalent-tier, latest Gen CPUs from Intel and AMD and certainly much faster than older Gen Intel CPUs.

Kotsos81

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2023

And here's another one where the reviewer compares 27 laptops (one is a MBP with M2 Max) both on battery and plugged-in. Again, M2 Max is better than Intel Core i9-13700H in terms of multicore performance when plugged-in and almost up there with Intel Core i9-13900HK (about 5.5% slower); other than that, it loses from the HX CPUs, which are in the M3 Max territory. What is interesting, though, is that when on battery, M2 Max preserves its performance and comes #2 in total, whereas Intel and AMD laptops drop it by 30%-40% (old news, of course, but it is nice to see it validated via testing).

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Why PCIe connection? You're making weird comparisons to make a point that isn't valid. Socket the same RAM they currently solder and directly connect the die to the socket. It's the SAME RAM whether it's on die or socketed. Unified memory is not related to being soldered or not. You seem to be blurring together different concepts, intentionally or otherwise.
LPDDR4x/5 is always soldered and not available in DIMM form from anyone. There is a technical reason for this, although I don’t have that answer readily handy right now. It might be trace lengths or need to be close to the CPU/SoC for maximum benefit.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
ARM Windows on Parallels is a lot better than I expected. X86 Windows apps run faster inside my ARM virtual machine via Windows translation (effectively, Microsoft's version of rosetta) than they do on most native windows machines I'm deploying here at work (mostly intel 10th gen i5s). With no fan noise, vs. constant freaking fan ramp on these dell latitudes and HP elite books.

Older games run too (e.g., Neverwinter Nights 2 runs perfectly). Haven't tried much recent, because I'm not running Windows to try and turn it into a gaming machine, but I was quite surprised at the performance through Parallels.
Can you do stuff like create a bootable usb windows installer for x86 systems off it? I'm in IT, and have all sorts of weird things that I need to take care of. I guess I could just google this!
I estimate that I am 15 years behind other Mac owners. When new Macs were Intel, I was solidly PowerPC. Now that Silicon is the new Mac, I am solidly Intel (and only four years into it).

I can get this 2009 MP of mine to run Sonoma. And I can upgrade it with more ram beyond the 32GB it already has. Since I sit in front of it for most of my day (I work from home), laptops really aren't relevant to me much anymore.

I do have a 2015 MBP and as I mentioned a M2 MBP. But those are work issued and have always been run in clamshell mode since I started WFH. I have never used either one as a personal laptop. They are the only Macs I shut off each day - because I don't want to deal with them beyond using them for work. I have my own Macs.

Right now, Apple is still allowing iMessage on versions of MacOS as low as El Cap. I'm primarily on Mojave. So, moving to Sonoma is going to give me at least ten more years with this Mac I think. And once doing modern stuff on Sonoma becomes more trouble then it's worth, that'll be my next upgrade point.

A lot of things can change in 10+ years. Right now my thought is a Linux box, but that's only because I predict Apple to be locking things down even more. But who knows where Apple will be then and who knows whatever else might be happening in the tech world then. So we'll see.

But right now I have no issues. Possibly, that is because the youngest Macs I own are 2009 and not the later years.

PS. I have been told in the past that the 2010 MacPro was one of the better and most expandable MacPros of the entire lot. I was told this because that was the Mac I was using at a job I had before the one I have now. So, at some point, despite my 2009 MP being upgraded to a 5,1 (from 4,1) I will actually be adding a 2010 MP into my mix.

PPS. There are a lot of upgrades CPU wise I can do to both. I have just not done any of that yet because what I have at the moment has been more than enough to do what I want/need. That's one thing that limited me with PowerPC that I no longer have to deal with.
Mojave was my favourite OS since Snow Leopard - I did like the visual updates in Big Sur (although it took a while), I found macOS peak performance was Mojave in recent years.

The hard part for you will be the throw away mentality of Macs now in the Silicone era. They are all sealed, all bound together, so upgradeability is out the door, which happend once they stopped making Retina MBPs.

If you can get your hands on a 2013 Mac Pro and get some bits for it for expandabilty, it was a wonderful machine for me.

Reactions: eyoungren

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Good to know, and Apple may adopt this standard by the M4, as this is way too new to have been engineered into the M3 or anything prior. This is actually great news as this would make a 1.5TB capable Mac Pro an actual product. I can see some devices remaining soldered with higher end devices getting expandability.

It may be at least another 1-2 years before this becomes a real possibility though.

EDIT: If the total max memory is 128GB as suggested by the article, then it’s a non starter for the Mac Pro, Studio and the same issue remains.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
Good to know, and Apple may adopt this standard by the M4, as this is way too new to have been engineered into the M3 or anything prior. This is actually great news as this would make a 1.5TB capable Mac Pro an actual product. I can see some devices remaining soldered with higher end devices getting expandability.

It may be at least another 1-2 years before this becomes a real possibility though.
I believe they can be pre-ordered now (pre-orders were due to have begun), but I can only see many companies jumping on the bandwagon if it's cheaper to manufacture than soldered RAM. Apple are more likely to pay more to manufacture devices we can't tinker with, or deliberately use CAMM boards that prevent upgrades.

Kotsos81

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2023
This was introduced on September (a couple of months prior to the commercial launch of M3 series macs) and only by Samsung AFAIK .

Modular LPDDR5 RAM is still not a commodity. Maybe next year.

Although I don't think that Apple will adopt this solution; it will rather stick to the full SoC implementation (incl. RAM). But that's another story.

The optimal solution for me would be a combination, but I don't know if this is possible: unified memory integrated on the SoC by default (with different options, e.g. 18/36/48/64/96/128GB) for faster memory access and two RAM slots to enable expandability of the memory later on by strictly using RAM of the same type as the one in SoC (e.g. LPDDR5-6400 or, in the future, LPDDR5x-8533).

Also at some point, Apple should introduce dedicated GDDR6 VRAM for the iGPU, to fully unlock the potential of its recent advancements in thus department. Again, I am not sure at all that this will happen.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
This was introduced on September (a couple of months prior to the commercial launch of M3 series macs) and only by Samsung AFAIK .

Modular LPDDR5 RAM is still not a commodity. Maybe next year.

Although I don't think that Apple will adopt this solution; it will rather stick to the full SoC implementation (incl. RAM). But that's another story.

The optimal solution for me would be a combination, but I don't know if this is possible: unified memory integrated on the SoC by default (with different options, e.g. 18/36/48/64/96/128GB) for faster memory access and two RAM slots to enable expandability of the memory later on by strictly using RAM of the same type as the one in SoC (e.g. LPDDR5-6400 or, in the future, LPDDR5x-8533).

Also at some point, Apple should introduce dedicated GDDR6 VRAM for the iGPU, to fully unlock the potential of its recent advancements in thus department. Again, I am not sure at all that this will happen.
It was introduced by Dell in 2022, but Samsung announced they'd be making it in September '23. It's not proprietary, and is expected to be the de-facto standard before long. I sadly don't see Apple adopting it, as I said, even if it cost them less and worked as well. I also don't see them providing expansion slots, or dedicated VRAM.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
That memory is A: intended for server use B: going to be hellaciously expensive C: isn't for on-die use like Apple Silicon is designed around.
A: 100% wrong that it is only/primarily intended for servers.
B: 100% wrong. It should be cheaper soon.
C: It's complicated.

Thought I'd resurrect your ridiculous unsubstantiated claims, after doing some reading on socketed LPDDR5 today.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
A: 100% wrong that it is only/primarily intended for servers.
B: 100% wrong. It should be cheaper soon.
C: It's complicated.

Thought I'd resurrect your ridiculous unsubstantiated claims, after doing some reading on socketed LPDDR5 today.

Obvious bait is obvious. Enjoy the ignore.

Reactions: JustAnExpat
Again, in the previous post (not the one you quoted), I mentioned that all benchmarks (Cinebench, Geekbench, Passmark etc.) show a significant performance gap in both single-core and multi-core (which is the one that is relevant in my case) between M-series and latest Intel Macs. Naturally, the gap is larger when considering Pro and Max variants as well as when considering later M-series generations as opposed to earlier ones, since each generation brings along some performance improvements over the previous one. For example, to compare AS macs with Intel Macs: Geekbench 6 Mac benchmarks.

There is really no comparison... Of course, one could argue that Geekbench favors AS over x86 architectures.

OK then. To compare AS macs with current and older Intel and AMD CPUs used in PCs and macs: Cinebench 2024 multi-core...

I’m aware of the benchmarks. Quite, thank you.

What standard benchmarks do is reveal how well the tested system performs on the algorithms of that standard benchmark. Those algorithms are not a substitute for everyday application.

That is precisely why I asked you whether you had tried your specific, non-benchmark-oriented tasks on a late Intel Mac, ideally one just preceding the switch to Silicon — that is, tasks applied in real-world, everyday situations. That ends up, over time, revealing performance quirks, bottlenecks, etc., which don’t always get dinged or scored by the usual benchmark utilities.

Reactions: Altis

Kotsos81

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2023
I’m aware of the benchmarks. Quite, thank you.

What standard benchmarks do is reveal how well the tested system performs on the algorithms of that standard benchmark. Those algorithms are not a substitute for everyday application.

That is precisely why I asked you whether you had tried your specific, non-benchmark-oriented tasks on a late Intel Mac, ideally one just preceding the switch to Silicon — that is, tasks applied in real-world, everyday situations. That ends up, over time, revealing performance quirks, bottlenecks, etc., which don’t always get dinged or scored by the usual benchmark utilities.
That is partially true. Partially because, for example, Cinebench runs a full-load test for 10 mins to consider thermals as well and also tests the GPU. On the other end, Passmark tests operations like integer and floating-point math or tasks like compression etc. which are indicative of CPU performance.

Also only partially true because both systems (Intel and AS macs) are tested under the same benchmark and their evaluated accordingly, it is not that we use Benchmark A for Intel and B for AS; it is apples-to-apples comparison. And AS macs constantly outperform Intel Macs in all benchmarks and comparisons. That is the objective reality. Now, what is the real-world situation which would work against AS macs but, magically, in favor of Intel Macs, despite that all benchmarks strongly suggest otherwise? Please give me at least one example.

The 2014 MBA is the latest Intel Mac I have. That's why I wrote that this particular comparison isn't much useful (although we did not need anyway that comparison to validate the obvious performance gap in favor of AS).

Why don't you buy an AS Mac and compare it with a similarly-spec'ed 2019 Intel mac? 😎

That is partially true. Partially because, for example, Cinebench runs a full-load test for 10 mins to consider thermals as well and also tests the GPU. On the other end, Passmark tests operations like integer and floating-point math or tasks like compression etc. which are indicative of CPU performance.

You already answered my inquiry a few replies back, cheers.

Why don't you buy an AS Mac and compare it with a similarly-spec'ed 2019 Intel mac? 😎

I don’t use Matlab and Mosek, nor do I have your reference/testing work files for those, so this (unhelpful) suggestion is kinda moot.

Moreover, I just plain avoid T2-equipped Macs.

Kotsos81

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2023
You already answered my inquiry a few replies back, cheers.

I don’t use Matlab and Mosek, nor do I have your reference/testing work files for those, so this (unhelpful) suggestion is kinda moot.

Moreover, I just plain avoid T2-equipped Macs.
You could test it based on your workload, programs and files, just to validate that the Intel CPUs used previously in macs are indeed slower than AS. It would be ike reinventing the wheel, of course, since this info is already out there and has been given in quantifiable metrics.

In summary: AS macs are much faster than Intel macs. On the downside, they don't provide upgradeability and are limited in repairability. Everyone can weigh those factors as he/she believes and choose accordingly-different options for different persons is a good thing. What is not a good thing, is to present the selection of an Intel mac over an AS one as a no-brainer, like the AS macs have no gap to fill in or reason for existence; their impressive performance gain over their predecessors alone is a good enough reason for some people. It is also certainly not cool to use characterizations like SillyMacs which, implicitly, extend to their users as well, simply because you want to feel good with your purchase decisions.

New macs have pros and cons, same as old macs. This idolization of the past becomes boring really fast.

This thread would be more interesting and productive if it was centered around the ridiculous upgrade prices for RAM and storage or the business segmentation which pushes users that don't know better to buy overkill machines or, in the other extreme, to give a ton of money for an underspec'ed machine with a RAM bottleneck and limited storage capacity. Instead, we are talking about the objective reality of AS being faster than older Intel chips, when it is faster than many high-end 13th Gen Intel CPUs and Zen 4 AMD CPUs.

Cheers.

Reactions: throAU

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I know it's something you feel passionately about, but come on, if someone steals your MacBook they're not going to be kind enough to unplug the Time Machine drive you have plugged in an leave that with you...

If someone steals my MacBook it is going to be from somewhere other than my secure office that the Time Machine drive is located at.

The two are only in the same location while I’m at work.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
For the extreme vast majority of computer users, the delay is between the user's brain and the keyboard, and not anything with the computer itself. Almost all Intel era machines (except the butterfly era) are wonderful general purpose office tools to write e-mails, letters, form letters, mailings, light excel spread sheets, etc. They are also acceptable for very casual personal photo editing (think cropping, or changing colors in Photos).

Is there value in owning an AS machine? Absolutely! But owning an early intel machine (or a PPC machine, or an 680x0 machine) is a joy onto itself, to get it to work, like an older car. Sure, it might not be fast, or flashy, but there's a certain joy that exists with the machine that no longer exists with AS.

Reactions: eyoungren

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
For the extreme vast majority of computer users, the delay is between the user's brain and the keyboard, and not anything with the computer itself.
That reminded me of this test. It shows that some modern systems are many times slower than old ones when it comes to the most basic functionality: text entry. Using a cheap-as-chips Windows machine at work, I can certainly appreciate it!

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
That reminded me of this test. It shows that some modern systems are many times slower than old ones when it comes to the most basic functionality: text entry. Using a cheap-as-chips Windows machine at work, I can certainly appreciate it!
I really (really!) wish a company would develop a word processing "computer" with very low latency. Get it as fast as an Apple 2, and I'll be happy.

Reactions: Nermal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.