Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Yes, I heard that and I think Valve has done a great job with Proton, its able to run many games seamlessly.
I was reading that the anti-cheat systems just aren't Linux-compatible and while many companies promise that they're going to do it, it feels as though they just say "We don't know Linux and it's too much of a pain to learn."

My programming experience was across multiple processors in assembly language, plus various business languages, Pascal, Modula-2, C/C++, etc. My co-workers had better degrees from better schools but never seemed to have a wide knowledge of programming. I'm not surprised that game developers have similar limitations.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
According to the specs it looks like a 'die shrink' on the previous one - same basic CPU but better top-end potential on the GPU.
It seems like the GPU is still clocked at 1.6Ghz, so I am not sure there is any improvement to be had there.

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
It seems like the GPU is still clocked at 1.6Ghz, so I am not sure there is any improvement to be had there.
The RAM runs at a higher speed which gives the GPU a bit of a boost in some scenarios. There's no earth shattering performance improvements. But the die shrink means it runs cooler and quieter.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The RAM runs at a higher speed which gives the GPU a bit of a boost in some scenarios. There's no earth shattering performance improvements. But the die shrink means it runs cooler and quieter.
Yeah I forgot about the bandwidth increase. That should help.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
According to the specs it looks like a 'die shrink' on the previous one - same basic CPU but better top-end potential on the GPU.
They're trying to keep costs low. The die shrink was probably not their choice, but to eliminate older manufacturing equipment to make space for newer equipment.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
New OLED model inbound...

Dammit I was really hoping the hardware approval they got was for the Valve Deckard, that long rumored wireless VR headset.

Oh well this is still a great refresh, even though I already got a 512gb LCD Deck so I don't need to get another.

I'm wondering if they'll use the Z1 Extreme APU that Legion Go and ROG Ally are using.

No it's the same Ryzen Van Gogh that's currently in the Deck, only this one had a die shrink so it's smaller so they could fit more battery into the Deck.

That's the big thing for this revision: a much better display, and much longer lasting battery. Aside from being OLED the display had it's refresh rate bumped up from 60hz to 90hz. So it'll look and play better.

But that's not all. The entire lineup has been refreshed. The 64gb eMMC base model has been discontinued. The 256gb NVMe model is now the base spec and now starts at $400, and the 512gb model is now the midrange offering. (TAKE NOTES APPLE!)

Additionally besides the OLED models, there is now a 1TB model for both the LCD and OLED models which takes the previous 512gb price spot.

All in all, a really damn good refresh. (I just wish it was the rumored VR headset getting announced because I really need to get off Quest, but I can't until Valve finally announces the Deckard.)

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
^Also updated Wifi 6, separate BT card/antennae for more stability, a couple cosmetic changes. Point 4 inches more screen diagonally, but sadly still huge bezel. A few other internal changes and better torx screws....

I am not upgrading, would like to but instead just wait for Steam D2CK

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

OMG - I think the Switch 2 just got removed from the equation for me :)

The Switch 2 was removed from the equation for me when Deck 1 came out, and even then with all the horrid business practices Nintendo's done in the last two years I'm sick of them. Metroid Prime Remastered was the last thing I have ever bought from them and will plan to buy from them for the forseeable future. The only way Nintendo will ever get my money again is if they finally wise up and start doing PC ports like Sony does.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The Switch 2 was removed from the equation for me when Deck 1 came out, and even then with all the horrid business practices Nintendo's done in the last two years I'm sick of them. Metroid Prime Remastered was the last thing I have ever bought from them and will plan to buy from them for the forseeable future. The only way Nintendo will ever get my money again is if they finally wise up and start doing PC ports like Sony does.
You don't want to buy Nintendo games unless they release the same games on PC? You basically want Nintendo to become Sega.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
You don't want to buy Nintendo games unless they release the same games on PC? You basically want Nintendo to become Sega.

No? They can still have a console despite doing PC releases, like Sony and Microsoft does. Doesn't even need to be day in date, they can stagger the releases like Sony does

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
No? They can still have a console despite doing PC releases, like Sony and Microsoft does. Doesn't even need to be day in date, they can stagger the releases like Sony does
I wonder if Nintendo has insight on how well Sonic sells on PC (because Sega is their closest competitor IP wise IMO) and have determined it isn't worth it to spend resources getting the games officially working on that platform.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I wonder if Nintendo has insight on how well Sonic sells on PC (because Sega is their closest competitor IP wise IMO) and have determined it isn't worth it to spend resources getting the games officially working on that platform.

Sony does PC releases now because they're making a lot of extra revenue doing PC releases of their back catalog, to the point they bought Nixxes Software to accelerate their PC releases. In Fiscal year 2022 they made $250 million from their PC ports, and are forecasting that to double at the end of Fiscal Year 2023.

SEGA completely changed business strategies from how well their experimental PC release of Yakuza 0 went. Even Atlus, a studio infamous for making really dumb business decisions, had to completely change business strategies when they ported their 2012 masterpiece Persona 4 Golden to PC in 2020 that it sold half a million copies in less than a month, and in less than a year outsold the Vita version's lifetime sales.

1699982774931.jpeg

There is a massive audience on PC who want to play Nintendo's games but without the awful hardware. There is a market for Nintendo on PC that they are ignoring, instead choosing to constantly spit in their faces and ruin the lives of anyone who dares to try to play their games on PC. Nintendo does mobile games, yet for some reason there's the notion that they just can't do PC releases of not even new games but their older titles, just because. If PlayStation can bring their coveted exclusives to PC while still selling their for profit console, than Nintendo can too.

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
Metroid Prime really was amazing though 🤩.

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
Anyway, the OLED version goes on sale 19:00 CET tomorrow ... good luck everybody 🥳

Edit: 15 minutes and counting down ... so ready :)

Last edited:
Reactions: txa1265

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Anyway, the OLED version goes on sale 19:00 CET tomorrow ... good luck everybody 🥳

Edit: 15 minutes and counting down ... so ready :)

The Steam Store was definitely overwhelmed and constantly erroring out ... I was there right at 1PM EST, got through purchase at 1:19! o_O:cool::)

Reactions: mr_jomo

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
Yes, I got booted with a "you've been attempting too many purchases" ... FFS Valve.

**** it, I'm get getting an Ally instead 🤣

• Haha

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Finally just got order paid and confirmed! and that was after many error messages and even basket having message that chosen model was supposedly out of stock…?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.