Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Ok, so I’ve had my Steam Deck for a couple of months now? In my opinion, along with the Apple Watch Ultra it is the gadget of 2022. I am liking and enjoying it more and more. I’ve been using it for some sneaky under the duvet game sessions, due to the cost of energy trying not to use the heating so under the duvet, the SD makes it nice and warm lol. It I really like it, it’s ergonomics are fantastic for a big ish device. And it’s very adaptable. I’ve just stuck to Steam games and StarCraft 2, I’ve also used the official dock and my monitor keyboard etc and whilst this works, I find it looks a bit rough in my 4K monitor as the resolution has to be set so low. But on the Steam Deck display games look fantastic.

I was in 2 minds about it initially, but having used it a bit it’s great. I’m happy for it to be added to my device collection, these days I am wary about what devices I have as you get older you don’t want endless gadgets, plus you don’t have the time for all of them lol, but the Steam Deck is going to remain in my collection. The thing that sets it apart for me is the user interface, it’s very good and easy to use, and the fact it’s running Linux and not Windows.

Reactions: bousozoku

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
So what do you guys think about Asus making a Steam Deck competitor?
1. Competition is always good.
2. ASUS NEEDS to make a profit on the hardware, and therefore it is unlikely this retails for under ~$999
3. Running Windows? Blech. Steam Deck has really efficient system that Windows never seems to manage (remember netbooks?).
4. Missing about half the controls of the Steam Deck - mapping weapons to all the touch zones of the left trackpad and using right trackpad as mouse substitute is incredible in certain games. Same for the ‘back paddles’. ASUS is missing the point.

So overall it is nice to see a competitor, will be interesting to see actual performance, but ultimately this goes nowhere IMO.

Reactions: bousozoku

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
1. Competition is always good.
2. ASUS NEEDS to make a profit on the hardware, and therefore it is unlikely this retails for under ~$999
3. Running Windows? Blech. Steam Deck has really efficient system that Windows never seems to manage (remember netbooks?).
4. Missing about half the controls of the Steam Deck - mapping weapons to all the touch zones of the left trackpad and using right trackpad as mouse substitute is incredible in certain games. Same for the ‘back paddles’. ASUS is missing the point.

So overall it is nice to see a competitor, will be interesting to see actual performance, but ultimately this goes nowhere IMO.
I was talking to my co-worker, Asus should team with MS to make this an official handheld for GamePass PC games (with xCloud as a fallback). Maybe Asus could get a sliver of GP PC revenue for folks using it (from telemetry)? Otherwise I don't understand why anyone would buy this over the GPD Win 4 or the Ayaneo 2 (which are both fairly expensive as well).

Reactions: txa1265

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

Cool concept but most likely gonna be overpriced and miss the point of the Deck. You know damn well that thing is gonna cost over $900.

The Steam Deck works for several reasons:
1. It's sold at a loss to match console pricing, making it a worthwhile purchase. (If you're a Mac user it's a must buy)
2. It has a unique control layout that is ergonomic for long periods of play, as well as touchpads to be able to control the desktop or play games that use a mouse.
3. It's preloaded with SteamOS, a Arch based Linux distro that is optimized for the Steam Deck so it's taking the most advantage of the Ryzen APU in it, as well as being user friendly and intuitive, so much so that you can use the desktop without needing to open the terminal once as demonstrated by Forbes' Linux contributor

Competition is always good and I wish ASUS the best, but if I was given either a Steam Deck or the ASUS handheld for free, I'd still take the Deck.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Cool concept but most likely gonna be overpriced and miss the point of the Deck. You know damn well that thing is gonna cost over $900.

The Steam Deck works for several reasons:
1. It's sold at a loss to match console pricing, making it a worthwhile purchase. (If you're a Mac user it's a must buy)
2. It has a unique control layout that is ergonomic for long periods of play, as well as touchpads to be able to control the desktop or play games that use a mouse.
3. It's preloaded with SteamOS, a Arch based Linux distro that is optimized for the Steam Deck so it's taking the most advantage of the Ryzen APU in it, as well as being user friendly and intuitive, so much so that you can use the desktop without needing to open the terminal once as demonstrated by Forbes' Linux contributor

Competition is always good and I wish ASUS the best, but if I was given either a Steam Deck or the ASUS handheld for free, I'd still take the Deck.
Rumor is going around that the base model will be $650 and launch in October. I've told my co-worker we will see. Dunno how they will make money on this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/12b7fjx

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Rumor is going around that the base model will be $650 and launch in October. I've told my co-worker we will see. Dunno how they will make money on this.

They would need someone to subsidize it, arguably for preferential treatment. Microsoft has an awesome track record of dumping money into horrible, locked down storefronts with zero redeeming qualities ... so they are a great candidate to force developers to put in game-breaking DRM to support this.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
While I like the idea of having Windows 11 as a base for gaming, ASUS is terrible at software, so any attempt of theirs to launch games from their software isn't likely to work well. Valve has shown that they know how to handle that part very well.

AMD's Radeon Software application is somewhat better at launching but not capable of managing games.

ASUS would have to find someone to make software as good as Steam in order to compete successfully. There are a number of bad Windows portables right now that work, but that don't work well.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm excited and think this may be a better fit for me, then the steam deck. I think having a windows machine vs. linux has more upsides for my usage and enjoyment.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I'm excited and think this may be a better fit for me, then the steam deck. I think having a windows machine vs. linux has more upsides for my usage and enjoyment.
Wondering why something with incredibly limited controls and an OS that has never been good on anything but an actual PC would be better?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but an actual PC would be better?
I'd rather use a windows based machine, as the games wouldn't be running through WINE/Proton. Plus I feel I'd be able to configure, customize and use a windows based machine better. I'm not saying Linux is not customizable, but I'm much more comfortable using Windows over Linux

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

I seriously doubt it's gonna be $650 with what they're putting in it. Not a single one of GPD's handhelds are anywhere close to that low price. The Deck's price is as low as it is because Valve is selling it at a loss. ASUS doesn't have that luxury since they don't sell software like Valve does

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I'd rather use a windows based machine, as the games wouldn't be running through WINE/Proton. Plus I feel I'd be able to configure, customize and use a windows based machine better. I'm not saying Linux is not customizable, but I'm much more comfortable using Windows over Linux

Someone never used SteamOS and it shows.

I need to get you a Steam Deck.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I seriously doubt it's gonna be $650 with what they're putting in it. Not a single one of GPD's handhelds are anywhere close to that low price. The Deck's price is as low as it is because Valve is selling it at a loss. ASUS doesn't have that luxury since they don't sell software like Valve does
That is what I said, lol.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
That is what I said, lol.

I can't read lmao

CB905B5C-3740-4D20-B1EF-5100554AD4D4.jpeg

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
No worries, I would be pleasantly surprised if the pricing is true. As far as form factor is concerned I like the GPD Win4 (cause it reminds me of the PSP).

I'd recommend waiting until SteamOS is licensed out to OEMs before getting a GPD handheld since GPD is working with Valve to get SteamOS.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I never said I owned one :rolleyes:
Hence why I need to fix that. You got some misconceptions about Linux that need to get fixed so we need to get you a Steam Deck now.

You're not gonna learn until you get out of your comfort zone and realize just how user friendly Linux actually is. A lot of distros have been reworked to be user friendly, in the case of SteamOS you never have to use the terminal once. I used to be a Mac hater for years thinking I wouldn't be able to learn macOS, until I actually got one and after two days of use I realized how similar it was to Windows, and now it's my favorite OS

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hence why I need to fix that. You got some misconceptions about Linux that need to get fixed so we need to get you a Steam Deck now.
No not really, if you actually read my post, I said that I'm more comfortable customizing windows. You have no idea of my skill set, or the fact that I've used Linux on multiple occasions, both professionally and as a hobby.

Preference does not equate ignorance

Its well known that not all games run on proton, or run very well. Many do, many do not. I prefer to use windows for my gaming.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
No not really, if you actually read my post, I said that I'm more comfortable customizing windows. You have no idea of my skill set, or the fact that I've used Linux on multiple occasions, both professionally and as a hobby.

Preference does not equate ignorance

Its well known that not all games run on proton, or run very well. Many do, many do not. I prefer to use windows for my gaming.

You know Hogwarts Legacy ran better on Linux than on Windows right? A lot of games are running better on Linux because they're not dealing with Microsoft's bloat.

• Haha
Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Let me say one more time. I'm not against the steam deck. All I said is that I have a preference, many people love the steam deck, many of their games work fine. Hell, I almost bought one.

All I'm saying is that Asus product looks interesting and I like the idea of it being on windows. I know some people got all twisted up that I offered my opinion that is counter to theirs but hey that's life ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
You know what, 40% of of the top 10 games are borked trying to play using proton. Tell me again how much better linux is at playing games then windows 🤣
View attachment 2185279

...40% out of 10 is 4. Wow, 4 games don't work out of the top 10, out of the THOUSANDS of other games that do work, including newer games. How terrible, and most likely those said games are predatory live service titles like Destiny 2 and Call of Duty. Whatever will we do without those games? 🙄

Versus the countless other major titles that do work out of the box on Linux, such as:
  • Halo Master Chief Collection and Halo Infinite
  • The Majority of Xbox Studios titles like Sea of Thieves, Hi Fi Rush, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dishonored, Age of Empires, Gears 5
  • The majority of Playstation's biggest exclusives such as Uncharted, Spider-Man Remastered, God of War, and Returnal
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake
  • Apex Legends
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Elden Ring
  • Grand Theft Auto 5 (as well as Online) and Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Persona 5 Royal
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  • Minecraft
I can go on

If you want this fight I can do this fight.

Let me say one more time. I'm not against the steam deck. All I said is that I have a preference, many people love the steam deck, many of their games work fine. Hell, I almost bought one.

All I'm saying is that Asus product looks interesting and I like the idea of it being on windows. I know some people got all twisted up that I offered my opinion that is counter to theirs but hey that's life ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reason being Windows nowadays really really sucks and Linux is just getting better and better for games than Windows as the Deck has proven. Sure some games don't work, but those few that don't are usually the evil multiplayer live service titles that we're better off without, while the majority do work, and run better than they do on Windows since they're not dealing with Microsoft's bloat like I said. Not to mention DirectX 12 has really caused major stuttering issues, issues that are less present on Linux because they lack of the bloat Windows does.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can go on
Please don't, because I really don't care.

Let me say this yet again. I have a preference. I have an opinion, please don't take my opinion as a personal affront. You seem to taking what I said personally - people can have differing views

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.