Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
That’s crazy unless your pre-order was for Q3 or later as if you didn’t like it you could sell it on EBay for 3 or 4 times the price. I’m hoping to hear from valve in the next couple of weeks on my Q2 preorder. I have an RG351V and it’s great but the steam deck smashes it for performance so I’m sticking all of my emulators and roms onto a microsd card to be added to steam as soon as my deck arrives. Going to get it setup like in this video.
My thinking, too. I just preordered something that’s expected to be high demand low supply into the next year. If I like it when it ships, great. If it doesn’t look like it’ll meet my expectations, there will be those willing to pay at least twice as much.

Reactions: Marshall73

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I'm pretty sure I don't actually want a Steam Deck any more, but given the prices on Ebay I'd be foolish to cancel it. Unless there's a massive influx of supply in "Q2" and the prices suddenly plummet, I'll be scalping this for all it's worth.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I can't control what other people do. just happy I don't have to hustle handhelds for money. 😄
Don't think of it as hustling, think of it as getting a really good deal on a new Macbook.

Also, it's providing a service. People who didn't have the foresight to pre-order are willing to pay for all the time you spent in a queue.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Running 6900xt eGPU with Steam Deck but too bad it's CPU limited without playing with power limits to reduce iGPU power and give more to CPU.

Random_Matt

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2022
Actually already sold mine. Heavy, uncomfortable and the fan is unbearable. What a fail valve sent out.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
So I caved and bought NMS on Steam for the Deck (along with Hellblade and Ryse). This thing is slick. I was going to continue my save for Shadow of the Tomb Raider but the save between Windows and Linux/Mac isn’t compatible so the game wanted me to start over. I was like naw.

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar
Actually already sold mine. Heavy, uncomfortable and the fan is unbearable. What a fail valve sent out.
The steam deck is a media darling, every tech influencer is gushing over it, and there does seem to be a waiting list but I do question the actual usage. We are still in the honeymoon phase, few people seem to have it, and the limited supply seems to keep the demand up.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The steam deck is a media darling, every tech influencer is gushing over it, and there does seem to be a waiting list but I do question the actual usage. We are still in the honeymoon phase, few people seem to have it, and the limited supply seems to keep the demand up.
I mean if you want to play PC games on the go it is the least expensive option available.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
There are multiple subreddits dedicated to the Steam Deck. As for demand, my reservation was finalized just under 18 minutes after orders started last July, and I just got my “you can order now” email yesterday. The 512GB order line moved 41 seconds yesterday, based on reports of people who received their emails.

If you were to preorder one today, you wouldn’t get it until next year.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I got mine in the very first wave of Q2 orders (512GB and my preorder went through 5 mins after they opened). I use it a fair amount, it's great for more chill games like Portal.

Romain_H

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
Got the email that mine is ready for purchase, immediately pulled the trigger. Now order is processed. Curious on how long it takes till its in my hands

Last edited:

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Got the email that mine is ready for purchase, immediately pulled the trigger. Now order is processed. Curious on how long it takes till its in my hands
Seems to be about a week. If you got your email yesterday, it’ll ship Monday or Tuesday and should be in your hands on Thursday or Friday.

Reactions: Romain_H

Romain_H

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
Seems to be about a week. If you got your email yesterday, it’ll ship Monday or Tuesday and should be in your hands on Thursday or Friday.
Yeah, status changed to „shipping soon“. I am located in Europe though, we‘ll see if that makes any difference (a day or two maybe)

• Haha
Reactions: mi7chy

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Yeah, status changed to „shipping soon“. I am located in Europe though, we‘ll see if that makes any difference (a day or two maybe)
I believe it’s delivered by GLS in Europe starting in the Netherlands.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Indeed you were right. Shipped from the netherlands, arrived today. Now I am unsure what to do with it. I an not much of a gamer…
Got mine on Tuesday. Loving it so far, loaded a pile of games on it and setup xcloud as per the instructions from microsoft. Bought an Anker usb c dock and a 100w gan charger from Ugreen. Plugged in a wireless mouse and keyboard and hooked it up to a monitor. Been messing around in Linux and will setup emulators etc this weekend. I opted in for the beta os releases, been playing around with the 40Hz mode, improves battery life by a good margin. I would say, just play around with it, get into desktop mode and poke around in Linux.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.