Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I want a screen that befits a handheld that costs more than a PS5.
AFAIK, it appears that Steam may be selling this at a loss, or near a loss. No other handled game device comes close to the Steam Deck - Nintendo switch being really the only one but one could argue that the switch is not a direct competitor of the steam deck.

I've watched a number of LTT's unboxing of various handheld devices this past year, take the Ayaneo Next and I think most of those are priced in around 1,000 to 1,500 dollars.

From what little reviews I have watched/seen, the steam deck is being reported as a technological marvel, with so many great features, and ergonomic design for such a low price. I keep hearing how this is a game changer.

I can't speak for the screen and whether it would bother me or not but all of the so called influencers and technical sites reviewing this are pushing the hype and hyperbole. We'll definitely see how this plays itself out, once consumers start receiving their units. If I was a betting man, I'd say there won't be too many complaints about the screen.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I can't speak for the screen and whether it would bother me or not but all of the so called influencers and technical sites reviewing this are pushing the hype and hyperbole. We'll definitely see how this plays itself out, once consumers start receiving their units. If I was a betting man, I'd say there won't be too many complaints about the screen.
I’d figure the same. Knowing that, when you want higher visual quality it’s as simple as connecting a monitor, I’d be happy with just being able to play my games without taking my entire kit with me.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
What machine spec would you be willing to compromise on to get a better screen for the existing price?
Storage, perhaps. PC games don't seem to benefit hugely from super fast SSDs, and even in the top model it's small enough that you'll certainly need a Micro SD card as well. They could have had a model with 256 GB and a superior screen instead of 512 GB and an etched screen coating.

I’d figure the same. Knowing that, when you want higher visual quality it’s as simple as connecting a monitor, I’d be happy with just being able to play my games without taking my entire kit with me.
I suspect it will struggle with the higher resolution of a desktop monitor.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Storage, perhaps. PC games don't seem to benefit hugely from super fast SSDs, and even in the top model it's small enough that you'll certainly need a Micro SD card as well. They could have had a model with 256 GB and a superior screen instead of 512 GB and an etched screen coating.

I suspect it will struggle with the higher resolution of a desktop monitor.
This is one of those times I wish AMD had a hardware ML upscaler, cause it looks like the Deck can scale games using FSR (DLSS could scale higher and still retain quality) but I am afraid they would become over sharpened messes.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
1280 x 800 would be fine on an external monitor. Though, I’m guessing they’d be able to at least hit Nintendo’s 1080p?
For "Simpler" games, sure. I doubt they got the juice to run say Elden Ring at 1080p native (at an acceptable framerate at least).

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I've watched a number of LTT's unboxing of various handheld devices this past year, take the Ayaneo Next and I think most of those are priced in around 1,000 to 1,500 dollars.
Have you seen the price these things are selling for on eBay? It's giving me second thoughts about having second thoughts, that's for sure. (Steam Deck, that is - makes the Aya Neo seem cheap.)

Reactions: mi7chy

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Bungie Don't Trust You: Play On Steam Deck? Get BANNED!
I’ve read a little about this issue and I believe this only applies if you’re playing on the SteamOS. It lacks some of the controls possible with Windows that allow greater control over cheats. Epic says the same. So, I guess the iPhone is too locked down and SteamOS is not locked down enough :)

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The anti-cheat software that many games use, runs on windows. So if you run it on the steamdeck, you're basically running it without the anticheat and publishers take a dim view of such actions.

Ineffective or not running on SteamOS which officially supports Easy Anti-Cheat and does show it running? Best approach for now is to use throw-away Epic account on Steam Deck until Epic changes its fascist ban policy.

https://store.steampowered.com/news...=103582791433666425&emgid=3137321254689909033

Last edited:

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Is there a list of games that work for this? Since it is running SteamOS, does it run old Direct X 8/9 games?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Tim Sweeney of Epic is anti-Steam Deck/Linux so banning Epic games on that platform. If people manage to get it working since EAC is supported they could potentially face the same account bans hence why it's better to use a throw-away account.

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Tim Sweeney of Epic is anti-Steam Deck/Linux so banning Epic games on that platform. If people manage to get it working since EAC is supported they could potentially face the same account bans hence why it's better to use a throw-away account.
But Epic isn't banning Fortnite players.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
(Steam Deck, that is - makes the Aya Neo seem cheap.)
Truth be told, I'm more tempted by the AyaNeo then the Steam Deck, better specs, better support for windows and better all around support for games. I'm not sure I'm wanting to spend 1,500 bucks, but then I guess I am willing to spend almost 800??

btw, I still haven't seen any email from steam, I'm not sure when I'll get that email but its clear I'm not part of the initial launch.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, I'll not be part of the bleeding edge, and dealing with limited game selection. On the other hand, it would have been nice to be an early adopter and play with a bit of new technology.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's an interesting take on the handheld devices - Linus references the steam deck, but I think this will be an issue for all handheld gaming devices.

The tl;dr version is some games on a handheld console can be REALLY REALLY hard because of the tiny screen. Enemy target zones that look fine on a large screen become almost impossible to hit on a tiny screen.

Linus is referencing Zero Horizon Dawn, and talking about how some of the huge creatures have small target locations, which become down right tiny on the steam deck. This isn't an anti-steam deck complaint, any of the competing handheld consoles will have this issue. A game that is meant to be expansive, and huge may not translate very well into a tiny screen.

I had this concern but it was more about how well it would work with me and my poor eyesight. I never thought about how large enemies or enemies with small target locations can be even harder on small screens

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
I canceled mine last week. the longer I waited, the more I saw, the less enthused I became.

I think when it comes to handheld gaming, I would always reach past the steam deck and grab my RG351V

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like Linus was one of the first folks to grab the window drivers from Steam and install windows. I think Steam will only give passing support for windows, they're intent seems to be having people use their steamos and the amount of polish and features on steamos compared to what you can and cannot do with windows on the steamdeck kind of shows.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I canceled mine last week. the longer I waited, the more I saw, the less enthused I became.

I think when it comes to handheld gaming, I would always reach past the steam deck and grab my RG351V
That’s crazy unless your pre-order was for Q3 or later as if you didn’t like it you could sell it on EBay for 3 or 4 times the price. I’m hoping to hear from valve in the next couple of weeks on my Q2 preorder. I have an RG351V and it’s great but the steam deck smashes it for performance so I’m sticking all of my emulators and roms onto a microsd card to be added to steam as soon as my deck arrives. Going to get it setup like in this video.

Reactions: mi7chy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.