Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I suppose there would be nothing to stop Microsoft from packaging up an Xbox OS for this and calling it the Xbox portable or something.
I would think that what you want is VERY likely one of the very first hacks that come out for the system :) I’m hoping this sees a decent update next year.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A data leak suggests upwards of 110,000 pre-orders in the first 90 minutes. That doesn't sound like enough traffic to break the store page. 512 GB model outsold the other two combined.
I'd say the numbers don't align with reality. It was clear that the website (never mind actually reserving the device) was not stable, I was unable to go to the website. Ordering was just an exercise in frustration

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
Well, it’s a portable machine that can run Windows and play GamePass games, so it’s kinda a handheld Xbox :)
I understand its running Steam OS unsing KDE Plasma (finally! No Gtk!). Is there a Windows option somehow?
Just now pre-ordered without issues. Expected delivery Q1/2022

Last edited:

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I'd say the numbers don't align with reality. It was clear that the website (never mind actually reserving the device) was not stable, I was unable to go to the website. Ordering was just an exercise in frustration
I used the Steam client rather than the web page, but it kept hanging or showing error messages. Paid via Paypal after about 15 minutes of that.

You can order it easily enough now, the initial frenzy was just for the first batch. Now they come up as Q1/Q2 next year. Not everyone who pre-ordered is going to follow through with the purchase.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
lol:
Makes me wonder if Valve underestimated the demand for this.

also from the comments in the link:
“Huh. Imagine that.

And here was me assuming PC gamers were all about squeezing every bit of horsepower from their rigs instead of putting up with some underpowered portable version.

So much for the master race.”

Aside from that, the battery life is stated to be between 2-8 hours, which is impressive considering it has a smaller battery than the Switch and manages to get comparable battery life. That APU must be very efficient. (Then again, the SoC in the Switch is ancient, it’s still running Maxwell 16nm)

It’s shaping up to be an impressive piece, but the skeptic in me still says wait until it’s in people’s hands. I still don’t trust Valve to do good hardware.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Was able to preorder one. Said Q2 2022. That's fine by me. I'm going to need time to
A) Save up the money
B) Convince my wife I need this

I'm hoping for A but usually I resort to B

• Haha
Reactions: diamond.g

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The 64GB version supposedly comes with m.2 2230 slot but it's to be seen how user friendly it is to access and 1TB Kioxa m.2 2230 SSD goes for ~$200. Still have to deal with drive cloning.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
My only concern is with the ‘etched glass’ on the 512GB storage version. Usually prefer glossy screen so hope it doesn’t have the negatives of matte screen.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Ooooh......someone has got to Hackintosh this thing....

giphy.gif

Reactions: ErikGrim

tropic10

Cancelled
Sep 8, 2008
I’m not convinced Valve will continue to support this. After the debacle with steam machines and steam controllers I’d be wary of expecting long term support from Valve.
I don’t believe that Valve has dropped support for their old hardware. Steam Controllers are no longer for sale but they’re still supported. Valve also expanded the Steam Controller config options to third party controllers including XBox and PlayStation.

Steam Machines may be long gone but Valve never stopped investing in Linux and the tech behind them. You can still build your own “Steam Machine” today with SteamOS. And their Windows compatibility layer, Proton, has been wildly successful on Linux and will be a key component for Steam Deck.

They no longer sell their Steam Link hardware but it was replaced by Steam Link iOS and Android apps and Raspberry Pi software.

Last edited:
Reactions: motulist

Cassandle

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2020
Decided to reserve the mid-tier model. Will have a year to save up for it.

It does sound like a really exciting piece of hardware. I currently have an M1 Mac Mini so am limited as to what I can play on Steam. I had been thinking about building a gaming PC but if this is as good as it looks, it could be the gaming PC I need, especially as I don’t play anything that’s considered to be AAA, graphically-demanding. Waiting to see how it performs when docked to an external monitor before committing or cancelling.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Will have a year to save up for it.
I think everyone underestimated the desire for such a machine. In all honesty a nintendo switch was tempting for me, BUT the games it had didn't really pull me in. I'm sure there's many many games that I'd enjoy on the switch but if you could take the switch's form factor and play games from steam, well then...

Looks like the base and mid-tier are pushed out to june-ish and the top tier is september-ish of next year. I'll probably just go the ebay route as long as the mark-up isn't horrendous. I did finally get a reservation in but I have no idea where that falls, i.e., december (unlikely) or Q1 2022 (possibly)

1626692047481.png

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
I don’t believe that Valve has dropped support for their old hardware. Steam Controllers are no longer for sale but they’re still supported. Valve also expanded the Steam Controller config options to third party controllers including XBox and PlayStation.

Steam Machines may be long gone but Valve never stopped investing in Linux and the tech behind them. You can still build your own “Steam Machine” today with SteamOS. And their Windows compatibility layer, Proton, has been wildly successful on Linux and will be a key component for Steam Deck.

They no longer sell their Steam Link hardware but it was replaced by Steam Link iOS and Android apps and Raspberry Pi software.
I mean “supported” as in “not relying on community support for updates” the steam controller configs are community made. And a button mapping system isn’t what I’d call long-term support.

Likewise, Proton may be fantastic (my Linux buddies say it’s amazing. Side note the distros they use are Ubuntu, Majaro, Nix, and Alpine, so it’s a wide array) but that’s proton, not Linux itself, which they haven’t released their latest game, Half-life Alyx, for.

“Building your own Steam Machine” is by definition, not Valve-supported hardware. No more than building your own PC is supported by Microsoft because you can install Windows on it.

Valve does software. And sometimes they do it well, when they’re focused. But their previous hardware efforts were lacking. That may change with the Steam Deck but I still have apprehensions.

Also, speaking of Steam Deck storage, the basic recommended specs for SteamOS list 200GB of storage. Does anyone else know if the OS is kept on a separate storage partition? If not then 64GB of emmc is a little low.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Valve does software. And sometimes they do it well, when they’re focused. But their previous hardware efforts were lacking. That may change with the Steam Deck but I still have apprehensions.
To be fair, their VR hardware is widely regarded as the best you can get. At least, I wish I had one of Valve’s headsets instead of the damned Facebook one.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Strike1: Not a fan of Console controllers.
Strike 2: Itty bitty screen.
possible Strike 2.1: Pricey, but I need to think about this based on what it can do.
A Plus: Portable and functional as long as you have a decent network connection? Or is the idea that you can load up games for offline access?

I would not use this device at home ever as long as I have a functional PC rig. Once a proffesional traveler, I used to drag a duel bootable MacBookPro with me on trips specifically to play games away from hone, no longer do that,

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
Strike1: Not a fan of Console controllers.
Strike 2: Itty bitty screen.
possible Strike 2.1: Pricey, but I need to think about this based on what it can do.
A Plus: Portable and functional as long as you have a decent network connection? Or is the idea that you can load up games for offline access?

I would not use this device at home ever as long as I have a functional PC rig. Once a proffesional traveler, I used to drag a duel bootable MacBookPro with me on trips specifically to play games away from hone, no longer do that,
Sounds like you’re not the target demographic for it. They did, however, get you to think about it.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.