Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would not use this device at home
The funny thing is, that's where I see myself using it the most. When I just want to relax in my recliner and the family is watching tv. This device would be great in that aspect

Reactions: Huntn

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Surprisingly, I see many of my peers who I wouldn’t think to be the target demographic buying these. I think it may have wider appeal than even Valve thought.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Surprisingly, I see many of my peers who I wouldn’t think to be the target demographic buying these. I think it may have wider appeal than even Valve thought.
Oh no question, the fact that the site came crashing down due to people trying to buy it, was evidence of that ;)

I think Nintendo struck upon a design that works, but not everyone cares for the game selection and this is the beauty of the Steam Deck, any and all of your games that you now enjoy will play on the Steam Deck

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Oh no question, the fact that the site came crashing down due to people trying to buy it, was evidence of that ;)

I think Nintendo struck upon a design that works, but not everyone cares for the game selection and this is the beauty of the Steam Deck, any and all of your games that you now enjoy will play on the Steam Deck
Well, any game supported by proton or ported to Linux to be pedantic.

On the topic of Nintendo, part of their success has been to sell a games console that exclusively has Nintendo games (typically high quality). The hardware itself has usually been secondary to that.

In an esoteric way, the Steam Deck does something similar. It’s currently the big name handheld that plays PC Games.

What interests me more than the Steam Deck itself is the potential market it has created. Of course there were already nascent products that were “Switch but PC” already but none have got the hype of the Steam Deck.

I think we’ll see more Steam Deck competition coming soon. Given that players may more easily migrate between brands on PC.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am curious about driver support though.
No question and how easier will it be to use in windows mode vs. what I would assume a customized front end using the default software and finally would I be able to restore it to factory conditions if I don't want windows on it any longer

Questions that we'll have to wait for answers

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
No question and how easier will it be to use in windows mode vs. what I would assume a customized front end using the default software and finally would I be able to restore it to factory conditions if I don't want windows on it any longer

Questions that we'll have to wait for answers
Add: what are the performance differences? If its a fully fledged Windows, i.e. is it usable as a standard desktop (when monitor/keyboard/mouse attached)?
Similarly: is there a package manager in Steam OS in a way so its usable as a desktop Linux?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don’t play games in front of the TV. ;)
To each his own ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I like doing something with the tv on as background noise - a habit that seems my whole family partakes :)

Either way, this device is a long way off from seeing the light of day, so I'll just have to sit tight anyways

Reactions: SigEp265 and Huntn

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
It’s funny that many pc users mock Macs and Mac users for running games at 30 fps but now many of them say 30 fps is fine on Steam Deck. The hypocrisy...

What portable AAA gaming console does Apple offer? None. Closest thing they sell is $99 Razer Kish which is just controller but without trackpads which I'm looking forward to try with retro games like Missile Command in place of trackball. For $300 more you get the base Steam Deck. iPads, even the overpriced iPad Pro M1 which I own, don't count since they run crapplets and not AAA games. Limiting Steam Deck frame rate to 30fps is optional to preserve battery life otherwise it sounds like they're targeting 60fps. Guess what? iPad Pro M1 also has option to Reduce Frame Rate for the same reason but for some games it's more like 15fps. Benefits Steam Deck have over iPad Pro M1 is AAA games, better value, included controller, full desktop browser, tablet and desktop replacement, unlocked and unrestricted so you can install other app stores or even different OS, etc. Apple doesn't even allow basic things like installing RetroArch.

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
It’s funny that many pc users mock Macs and Mac users for running games at 30 fps but now many of them say 30 fps is fine on Steam Deck. The hypocrisy...
I don’t know about the others, but I plan on upping the TDP (if possible) to get all the frames and the pretty.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
What portable AAA gaming console does Apple offer? None. Closest thing they sell is $99 Razer Kish which is just controller but without trackpads which I'm looking forward to try with retro games like Missile Command in place of trackball. For $300 more you get the base Steam Deck. iPads, even the overpriced iPad Pro M1 which I own, don't count since they run crapplets and not AAA games. Limiting Steam Deck frame rate to 30fps is optional to preserve battery life otherwise it sounds like they're targeting 60fps. Guess what? iPad Pro M1 also has option to Reduce Frame Rate for the same reason but for some games it's more like 15fps. Benefits Steam Deck have over iPad Pro M1 is AAA games, better value, included controller, full desktop browser, desktop replacement, unlocked and unrestricted so you can install other app stores or even different OS, etc. Apple doesn't even allow basic things like installing RetroArch.
Almost everything you said is irrelevant to my point. You manged once again to turn this into an Apple bashing post....

Reactions: magicman32

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Looks like you kicked the hornets nest. Be careful when pointing out gamer mental gymnastics.

Reactions: Homy

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
You can install windows, and full access :)
Natch, but as someone else pointed out, we’ll see about driver support. This is a new custom apu by AMD. Though I suspect their normal APU drivers will translate over.

Also, I looked through my steam library to recently, and counted maybe four games that I’d like to play with a controller? Maybe it’s me but Factorio with a controller seems like a bad experience.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Natch, but as someone else pointed out, we’ll see about driver support. This is a new custom apu by AMD. Though I suspect their normal APU drivers will translate over.

Also, I looked through my steam library to recently, and counted maybe four games that I’d like to play with a controller? Maybe it’s me but Factorio with a controller seems like a bad experience.
It does not appear that Factorio has a Steam Controller profile, or at least I didn't see one for the Demo I tried. As long as there are not more keyboard commands than what can be mapped to the available buttons on the Deck, it should be fine to play with "controller". This is of course assuming the game in question even has controller support at all.

I also don't think that this APU is really custom the same way the PS5/XSS/XSX APU is. It sounds like the Van Gogh APU that was "removed" from the roadmap, for what ever reason.

Last edited:

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I already laid down a reservation for the 512GB model. However, I found that this guy makes a good argument. He basically says "Wait for Razer to make their own version". I agree that Razer build really good hardware.
Every time I come to this sub-forum, I see the thread title as... "Stream Deck"... lol... which is one of my favorite peripherals/tools on my desk.

I was planning on getting a steam deck for my oldest. My youngest and I have gaming PC's, but my oldest likes consoles... and he is still waiting to get a ps5. I think this would be perfect for him... and he can game with his brother. But now that you posted this... the Razer sounds interesting. My friend is an engineer at Razer (he designed the Razer mobile phones)... so he may know more about this project. I'll have to ask him this Sunday. I just hope these devices are available when released... I'll might have more of a chance with Razer. My friend always tries to convince me to get a Razer phone at his employee price.

macrumorsuser10

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
Every time I come to this sub-forum, I see the thread title as... "Stream Deck"... lol... which is one of my favorite peripherals/tools on my desk.

I was planning on getting a steam deck for my oldest. My youngest and I have gaming PC's, but my oldest likes consoles... and he is still waiting to get a ps5. I think this would be perfect for him... and he can game with his brother. But now that you posted this... the Razer sounds interesting. My friend is an engineer at Razer (he designed the Razer mobile phones)... so he may know more about this project. I'll have to ask him this Sunday. I just hope these devices are available when released... I'll might have more of a chance with Razer. My friend always tries to convince me to get a Razer phone at his employee price.
Razer's most recent phone was the Razer Phone 2, which was released in 2018. They haven't released anything since. Speculation says that they have been waiting for the 5G rollout. Can you ask your friend when the next Razer phone is coming out?

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Razer's most recent phone was the Razer Phone 2, which was released in 2018. They haven't released anything since. Speculation says that they have been waiting for the 5G rollout. Can you ask your friend when the next Razer phone is coming out?
For sure... I'll see him this Sunday... and we always talk about techie stuff. I'll let you know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.