Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbum

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2015
Baltimore
Mac Source Ports may be of help to a few, however is pretty much limited to games that are free or the developer's have open sourced the game engine.

Doom 3 - New game engine & updated graphics
View attachment 2321808

Doom 3 The Lost Mission, patched over from Doom 3 BFG
View attachment 2321804

Doom 3 - Hell Knight (originally Hell Baron) from the Macworld 2001 preview
View attachment 2321807

Homeworld - Classic
View attachment 2321800
All the games/engines on Mac Source Ports should run natively on Apple Silicon & Intel 64 Bit.

Q-6
Anyone see a AS compatible Homeworld 2 anywhere?

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
Im running MacOS 10.14 and yesturday I logged into steam and could not access the store anymore, however games that I own are still playable. Then thoday im back into steam and the store is back up again. They change there minds?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
On Steam the other day, I read that Steam would no longer launch 32-bit Mac games, on 15th February, but it still worked.

I wonder if it's just 32-bit Valve games that won't work because they're really not working well anyway, and the 64-bit versions are...not up to where they should be.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Starting January 2024, Steam will stop support on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1
Starting February 2024, Steam will stop support on MacOS 10.13 and 10.14
In October 2025, Windows 10 will be end of life so Steam will support it at least until then.

When Steam stops support, the Steam app will stop going online once Steam updates the app to the point that the unsupported app will not run (i.e. there is no way to know when it will stop going online).

Steam should still be able to be run offline but will lose access to DLC that requires Steam to be online.

Note - Before Steam becomes unsupported and people eventually lose the ability to download the games they have bought (on the unsupported computer), people should probably install all the games they purchased.

-------------------

I recognize the fact that older software becomes unsupported. My only complaint is that Steam should allow you to run your DLC without requiring you to be online.
I plan on upgrading to windows 11 in January 2025.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I plan on upgrading to windows 11 in January 2025.

For most of my Windows games, I'm using Crossover on my Mac which doesn't require Windows.

For the rest of my Window games on my Mac (the 32 bit older games), I'm using standard Parallels (not a subscription) which comes with Windows 11 ARM. Even though the standard version limits the resources used by my computer, the older games run well.

I have seen a lot of people complaining about Windows 11 but I have had no issues with it.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For most of my Windows games, I'm using Crossover on my Mac which doesn't require Windows.

For the rest of my Window games on my Mac (the 32 bit older games), I'm using standard Parallels (not a subscription) which comes with Windows 11 ARM. Even though the standard version limits the resources used by my computer, the older games run well.

I have seen a lot of people complaining about Windows 11 but I have had no issues with it.
Old rule, don’t upgrade windows unless you’re forced to. ;)

Queen6

macrumors G4
Old rule, don’t upgrade windows unless you’re forced to. ;)
Why? 11 is just a better more stable version of 10 and a minor iteration to the kernel. What I would say with 11 is if your doing a lot with your box you will need 32GB RAM as a minimum.

MacOS or Windows if you don't try the latest version you have no idea of the positives or negatives...

Q-6

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Why? 11 is just a better more stable version of 10 and a minor iteration to the kernel. What I would say with 11 is if your doing a lot with your box you will need 32GB RAM as a minimum.

MacOS or Windows if you don't try the latest version you have no idea of the positives or negatives...

Q-6
Windows 10 is working just fine. :)

Reactions: Plutonius

Queen6

macrumors G4
As is W11 on this box, the others are on W10. macOS everything from High Sierra to Sonoma, with the latter making sense for the M series. One Mac was stuck on Yosemite for years due to the need to interact with an old mail server, it's now on Big Sur being Intel based.

Don't try you'll never know, W11 has fewer updates vs W10. Yes there are downsides, equally only if you consider them to be so and are easily resolved.

I don't think for one second people should automatically upgrade the OS, equally a new OS should not be dismissed out the gate for the sake of it. As ever just need to be informed and see if any benefit, then move forward or stay as is...

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You have one more year left with a supported windows 10, i.e., MS will stop providing updates in 2025, but with that said. Windows 11 isn't a brand new operating system, its basically windows 10 with improvements.

There are things I don't like about windows 11 to be sure, but its more about Microsoft having the OS phone home with more telemetry then i want - there are steps you can mitigate and/or stop this behavior.

I think overall, as someone who uses both windows 10 on my work computer, and windows 11 at home. Windows 11 seems to be a better product overall.

Reactions: Huntn and Queen6

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As is W11 on this box, the others are on W10. macOS everything from High Sierra to Sonoma, with the latter making sense for the M series. One Mac was stuck on Yosemite for years due to the need to interact with an old mail server, it's now on Big Sur being Intel based.

Don't try you'll never know, W11 has fewer updates vs W10. Yes there are downsides, equally only if you consider them to be so and are easily resolved.

I don't think for one second people should automatically upgrade the OS, equally a new OS should not be dismissed out the gate for the sake of it. As ever just need to be informed and see if any benefit, then move forward or stay as is...

Q-6

You have one more year left with a supported windows 10, i.e., MS will stop providing updates in 2025, but with that said. Windows 11 isn't a brand new operating system, its basically windows 10 with improvements.

There are things I don't like about windows 11 to be sure, but its more about Microsoft having the OS phone home with more telemetry then i want - there are steps you can mitigate and/or stop this behavior.

I think overall, as someone who uses both windows 10 on my work computer, and windows 11 at home. Windows 11 seems to be a better product overall.
For sure I’ll be switching to W11 at the start of 2025, there is just no incentive for me currently to do so, unless you have a specific, practical or $ based reason. As is, W10 functions adequately, is not giving me any headaches.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As is, W10 functions adequately, is not giving me any headaches.
As I mentioned, my company is still using windows 10 and they don't seem to have any plans to start the upgrade process to win11. Its stable, if not unexciting and as long as you're not missing features that are in win11, standing pat isn't a bad idea.

My desktop is still on win 11 22H2 even though MS released 23H2 last fall. I'm happy where things are ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: bousozoku and Huntn

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Q-6
My ASUS machine came with Windows 11 Pro and it has steadily been updated with crap to make it slower than it was at first. The same thing happened to Windows 10 on another machine and they finally fixed it, so I'm hoping the same for Windows 11.

Btw, it's nice to know that Rosetta 2 is totally fine with 32-bit x86 games. Even though I noticed a Valve/Steam notice that the launcher would stop working for 32-bit games, they seem to be working just fine.

Queen6

macrumors G4
My ASUS machine came with Windows 11 Pro and it has steadily been updated with crap to make it slower than it was at first. The same thing happened to Windows 10 on another machine and they finally fixed it, so I'm hoping the same for Windows 11.

Btw, it's nice to know that Rosetta 2 is totally fine with 32-bit x86 games. Even though I noticed a Valve/Steam notice that the launcher would stop working for 32-bit games, they seem to be working just fine.
Just like any other modern OS takes time to optimise and streamline and the community to develop tools to tame the aspects of the OS you don't care for.

Q-6

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Just like any other modern OS takes time to optimise and streamline and the community to develop tools to tame the aspects of the OS you don't care for.

Q-6
They added Co-Pilot, which definitely isn't necessary, any more than Clippy was.

Reactions: Queen6

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Copilot added to Windows? 🤔
It's part of Windows 11 now. You don't have to use it, but it still seems to be sucking up resources. Performance has been degraded since the update that included Co-Pilot.

Then again, they made a change the other day that has degraded the performance of AMD APU's integrated graphics, so handheld devices like Legion Go and ROG Ally are suffering.

Microsoft probably has never tested on a gaming handheld.

• Sad

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's part of Windows 11 now. You don't have to use it, but it still seems to be sucking up resources. Performance has been degraded since the update that included Co-Pilot.

Then again, they made a change the other day that has degraded the performance of AMD APU's integrated graphics, so handheld devices like Legion Go and ROG Ally are suffering.

Microsoft probably has never tested on a gaming handheld.
Another reason to hold off on Win11? I like the idea of AI which helps facilitate interaction, but not if it means tieing you to another server, or serious app bloat. 🤔

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Another reason to hold off on Win11? I like the idea of AI which helps facilitate interaction, but not if it means tieing you to another server, or serious app bloat. 🤔
Individual computers still don't have the capacity to run much of anything that requires AI reasoning. This is better than 1978 with LISP and Prolog but not that much better.

I was getting used to Windows 11, thinking that it would be good, and then, they updated it with some nonsense about the update stack and Co-Pilot and wham! At least, it's not as bad as Windows 10 Update 1709, which erased my system drive on another machine.

Steam seems okay lately, though. Better than ever to have a Steam Deck now.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Individual computers still don't have the capacity to run much of anything that requires AI reasoning. This is better than 1978 with LISP and Prolog but not that much better.

I was getting used to Windows 11, thinking that it would be good, and then, they updated it with some nonsense about the update stack and Co-Pilot and wham! At least, it's not as bad as Windows 10 Update 1709, which erased my system drive on another machine.

Steam seems okay lately, though. Better than ever to have a Steam Deck now.
The worst thing about Copilot is that even if you disable it following an update, subsequent updates will reenable it. I don't plan to use it, so I don't want it sucking up system resources that would be better utilized for other applications and games.

Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The worst thing about Copilot is that even if you disable it following an update, subsequent updates will reenable it. I don't plan to use it, so I don't want it sucking up system resources that would be better utilized for other applications and games.
It seems that they overwrite the settings with every update on parts where money is to be made. Office 365 isn't important to me, but I am reminded about it quite a lot.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Are you using Windows 11 Home? IIRC Pro give you the ability to edit GP to disable stuff, which should stick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.