Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
It seems that they overwrite the settings with every update on parts where money is to be made. Office 365 isn't important to me, but I am reminded about it quite a lot.

I've noticed that they even stuck Microsoft Defender behind the 365 paywall now. The next time I get a popup telling me to resubscribe to 365 to use Defender (after disabling Defender as a startup item) I might throw something in Redmond's direction...

Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've noticed that they even stuck Microsoft Defender behind the 365 paywall now. The next time I get a popup telling me to resubscribe to 365 to use Defender (after disabling Defender as a startup item) I might throw something in Redmond's direction...
Defender is one of the few things they make that actually works well. They would make it a subscription, if they could, but the press about it would remind them about all the malware out there because of security holes that they would relent.

I'm glad I have a Steam Deck and don't have to rely on Windows there. My ASUS ZenBook Pro is where I'm worried but Windows 11 is still better than previous versions of Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.