Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iggi123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Want to make sure that I didn’t miss anything. So I guess the design is slightly different

But otherwise no meaningful updates again, 5G is irrelevant for another few years.

Faster CPU and better camera.

anything I am missing? I wonder if others are considering sticking with X for another year

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Same here. I am sticking with the iPhone X until I see a compelling reason to upgrade. The camera upgrades on the iPhone 12 Pro/Pro Max and without the ProMotion display technology, just isn't enough for me to upgrade. In addition, my iPhone X is still running fine.

5G is a no starter right now in America. Hopefully, by next Autumn, 5G is more widespread and Apple finally releases a phone with ProMotion, and then, I might upgrade. Lastly, I'm sure that by next Autumn, my iPhone X's battery will be more significantly degraded and that I might need to upgrade no matter what (currently my iPhone's battery health is at 80%).

Character Zero

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
I am also looking at my X and the 12 (pro) specs and tying to figure out if I need the upgrade yet. Was hoping for USB-C and wondering why they are clinging to Lightening especially with the move away from including a charger and assuming you have a USB C charger anyway. Only issue I have is my lightening port is not great on my X.

iggi123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Same here. I am sticking with the iPhone X until I see a compelling reason to upgrade. The camera upgrades on the iPhone 12 Pro/Pro Max and without the ProMotion display technology, just isn't enough for me to upgrade. In addition, my iPhone X is still running fine.

5G is a no starter right now in America. Hopefully, by next Autumn, 5G is more widespread and Apple finally releases a phone with ProMotion, and then, I might upgrade. Lastly, I'm sure that by next Autumn, my iPhone X's battery will be more significantly degraded and that I might need to upgrade no matter what (currently my iPhone's battery health is at 80%).

I was searching small print for at least updated Face ID, seems the same as X

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
I have a XS and yes I’ll be skipping it too. I’ve always been a proponent of not upgrading often on any device until there is a significant change that would impact my day to day. The cost value proposition just isn’t there.

The XS is still plenty fast and does everything I need. 5G is nifty but carrier limits are the concern here. My “unlimited” plan throttles after a certain amount. My use cases also don’t necessitate the ability to transfer large files on a phone. My LTE can reach very fast speeds that rival my home internet. I’m sure this will change in time but right now 5G is pointless for me.

Honestly I may not upgrade until the 14 or even 15. I had my 6 all the way until the XS.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
I purchased 3 iPhone X batteries from AliExpress for $12 each and they came with DIY kit. Saw a youtube video and installed them myself on 3 iPhone X in my house. They were all down to 81% health after 3 years of heavy use. Now battery health is at 100% on all and I get 1 and 1/2 day battery life on mine. Should be able to carry on till next year. I am waiting for 120 hz screen and USB 3 transfer speeds. The only 2 features I want before dropping hard cash.

Reactions: jbachandouris

iggi123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
I purchased 3 iPhone X batteries from AliExpress for $12 each and they came with DIY kit. Saw a youtube video and installed them myself on 3 iPhone X in my house. They were all down to 81% health after 3 years of heavy use. Now battery health is at 100% on all and I get 1 and 1/2 day battery life on mine. Should be able to carry on till next year. I am waiting for 120 hz screen and USB 3 transfer speeds. The only 2 features I want before dropping hard cash.

Yea same here, really feels like they could have done 120hz screen this year, but probably saved as key feature for next year. Otherwise, I am content with my speed and camera of the X

Reactions: Deliro

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
Only reason im upgrading my X is because im on AT&T and with the $800 credit I would be stupid not too. No way I could get over 3-400 for it on secondary markets.

That plus way better cameras/proccessor/battery life and new design is a no-brainer for me. My X battery is already down to 85% capacity.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
I have the X with the Intel modem and I hate it. Realy poor reception with weaker signals. So I will be upgrading to the regular Pro and hopefully the Qualcomm modem is that much better than the Intel Modem.

dmdcash

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2017
Want to make sure that I didn’t miss anything. So I guess the design is slightly different

But otherwise no meaningful updates again, 5G is irrelevant for another few years.

Faster CPU and better camera.

anything I am missing? I wonder if others are considering sticking with X for another year
My X battery is at 70%, and coupled with ATT $800 deal, I'll essentially be getting a free phone. IF you plan to keep the phone for 2-3 years, that is a no brainer for me.

Oblivion1337

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2018
UK
I have the X with the Intel modem and I hate it. Realy poor reception with weaker signals. So I will be upgrading to the regular Pro and hopefully the Qualcomm modem is that much better than the Intel Modem.

same story. I hope CPU and ram will speed up too in Pro line. It is quite lagging with OS14 on X.
We are all waiting bells and whistles but I could not sit waiting dealing with those imperceptible latency on everyday use.
In life, I always took a step back to assess whether I want to achieve efficient and effective day or another way.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
The differences are a little bigger than that. Ultrawide camera, LIDAR (Pro), battery life, water resistance, MagSafe, .3" bigger screen, higher contrast, night mode, deep fusion, Apple ProRAW (Pro), Smart HDR 3, Dolby Vision video, Gigabit LTE, WiFi 6, ultrawideband… and so on. Lots more differences that you can see if you use apple's iPhone compare utility:
www.apple.com/iphone/compare

I've kept my iPhone 7 3.5 years, so I'm definitely not saying people should upgrade every year. iPhone X is still a great phone, and there's nothing wrong with keeping it. But 5G, faster chip, and better camera are not the only differences.

Reactions: whattodo11

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Same here. Wouldn’t surprise me if i ended up keeping it for another couple of years which would be insane value for money.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max, and can vouch that Apple's night mode is a game-changer for low-light photography.

Seems to me that those with an X will experience tremendous benefits with any version of the 12; disclaimer is that 5G will not really be baked for another year or two.

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
It is. Same Face ID since 2017....maybe next year, we will get a combination of TouchID and FaceID...

FWIW iPhone 11 had Gen 3 FaceID, which is 30% faster than the XS. And XS was faster than the X.

I haven't seen any sign about iPhone 12 improving on the 11, though.

Plett

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2016
Xs here and sticking it out. Wasn’t wowed. But the 12 is a great phone with solid iterative improvements.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
FWIW iPhone 11 had Gen 3 FaceID, which is 30% faster than the XS. And XS was faster than the X.

I haven't seen any sign about iPhone 12 improving on the 11, though.

Not true. IOS13 created 30% faster FaceID which all phones with FaceID benefited from. iPhone X has the same speed unlock as every other phone.

Reactions: Homme

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA

I have X and considering too. Surprised not having performance issues with battery at 80%. Getting new battery lot cheaper than new device obviously.

Last edited:

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Only reason im upgrading my X is because im on AT&T and with the $800 credit I would be stupid not too. No way I could get over 3-400 for it on secondary markets.

That plus way better cameras/proccessor/battery life and new design is a no-brainer for me. My X battery is already down to 85% capacity.
Its up to $800 credit over 30 months. Trying to lock in for 2 1/2 years.
Anyone know what offering for ip?

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
Holding onto my XR for at least another couple of years unless the 13 or 14 has some super amazing wow factor that would make me want to switch. I mainly use my phone for games, texting, music, Reddit. So I really have 0 use for the camera on the 12 series.

caranddriver

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
I was all set to get the 12 Pro, but I think I'm going to wait since the main reason was a better camera for travel photos. Since I'm not doing my normal work or leisure travel, less reason for me to upgrade since the iPhone X does not really suffer from poor performance and the camera is good enough with the dual lenses. My over three-year old battery health is at 78% so I really need to get the battery replaced at the Apple Store.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I went to BB today to check out the 12's. The max stood out the most obviously and that was going to be my go-to phone to upgrade to. Its a big change from the X in size alone.

My plan was to get the max as I only use a MacBook as my only other apple / computing device. Some people justify that having an iPad is a reason they go with the smaller size iphone so for me that is the opposite.

However, the announcement left me wanting more a design change (smaller notch / bezels). Not a deal breaker but would have got me more inclined to upgrade. I will check them all out again soon and decide sometime around the holidays.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.