Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What to do?

• Total voters

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Don't feel like reading a long story? Scroll to the bottom of this post for a "Too long, didn't read; shorter version please..." section.

Hi guys,

The thread title says it all: I'm still not sure whether or not I should go for the Galaxy S8 or the iPhone 8.

First some history and why I am undecided. I've had an iPhone since 2009 (the 3GS, 4, 5, 6 Plus and 6S). For about a year now, I've owned a Galaxy S7 Edge.

So, why am I undecided? There are some features I absolutely love about the Galaxy S7 Edge: its AMOLED display, compact body & awesome modern design, wireless charging, waterproof, NFC (Apple Pay is not supported in my country) and the always-on display. Yet there are a few reasons why I am considering going back to the iPhone 8:

- New design, almost without bezels with an AMOLED display
- Better security
- More privacy-friendly
- Consistent software design
- Frequent software updates, available for all devices at the same time
- Siri (the S7 Edge doesn't have a voice assistant, at least not in my region)

As you can read, software is the biggest reason why I would consider going back to iPhone. The S7 Edge software is not bad at all! But software updates always lag behind... a new Android version? We must wait for months and months. Security updates? They're there every month, but even those updates usually lag behind one or two months.

One thing I also like more about iOS is that design is consistent across the OS and across apps. On Android, it's sometimes a bit inconsistent.

Last but not least regarding the OS: it's more easy to maintain privacy. On iOS everything is baked off and (at least up until iOS 9) it's always been very clear what information you are sharing with app developers and Apple. On Android, apps want access to the craziest amounts of personal data - and sometimes they won't even install if you don't give access upfront!

Finally, what I somehow manage to miss a lot is Siri. I have discovered that I used Siri much more than I originally thought, especially when driving in a car.

So what to expect from the 'iPhone 8'?
Currently, I am expecting a design with extremely slimmed down bezels. An AMOLED display. And I am hoping for built-in Touch ID beneath the display. I also expect the 'iPhone 8' to cost at least €100 more than what the iPhone 7 Plus costs now.

I also expect wireless charging and always-on display functionality.

The iPhone 7 Plus costs €909, so that would mean the iPhone 8 would go for €1009. That's too much!

So why the Galaxy S8?
The Galaxy S8 won't fix the problems with Android. But since it's a newer model, it's bound to receive updates faster than the S7 Edge. Samsung's voice assistant, Bixby, might be good enough too.
The design is absolutely fantastic. I've seen it in real a few times now and I absolutely love it.

And than there's the display. Just wow. Absolute wow. Love it.

Last, but not least, I simply like new gadgets.

Difference in price
As I said, I expect the iPhone 8 to cost at least €100 more than the iPhone 7 Plus. That would mean the price would be at least €1009. The Galaxy S8, however, is available for just €649.

€1009 is too much. It's €360 more than the S8 and I fear that my €1009 estimate is a conservative estimate...

So why not an iPhone 7 if you want iOS but don't want to spend too much money?
An iPhone 7, at this point, is just as expensive as the S8. Additionally, it's an out-dated design. I don't like it. An old aluminum rear, huge bezels on the front, old LCD display, no wireless charging, no always-on.

Too long, didn't read; shorter version please...
So... long story short: I am undecided as to whether I should wait for the iPhone 8, or if I should simply get the S8. The S8 won't fix all the shortcomings the S7 Edge (my current device) has, but it's an awesome device for a very fair price (€649). The iPhone 8 will, hopefully, fix a lot of shortcomings the S7 Edge has... but the price will likely go beyond €1000.
A huge difference in price is not worth it for me.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Nothing is sure about anything on the iPhone yet. Wait until it's actually announced for better opinions.
Rumors are all over the place, and most are concerning. :(

Some of the rumors are problems with wireless charging, which leaves some to believe Apple will make a proprietary version of wireless charging, otherwise they wouldn't have issues with wireless charging. Also, a decent chance Apple might ditch the finger print scanner. You also want to see if Apple's rumored facial recognition is good.

I highly doubt Apple will have an Always On Display at release. They will most likely wait until the 2018 iPhone or have a software update on the 2017 iPhone months later.

As far as privacy on Android goes, after install you can easily change the privacy settings for that specific app. That's not a big deal. I do so all the time, and disabling unnecessary permissions doesn't affect the app.

The iPhone announcement will be interesting. I really want an AMOLED display iPhone, but most of the other boxes have to check for me as well. Otherwise I'll just hold on to my iP7+ and wait to see what 2018 bring. Apple almost always has a surprise up their sleeve though.

Meanwhile I'm using the S8+ and love it, and will give that back for the Note 8.

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
There are definitely things I miss about the iPhone (e.g., iMessage, battery), but overall, after my first foray into Android with my S7, it will be hard to abandon the customizability and return to an iPhone. It would really have to blow me away. Otherwise, I'll be getting the S8 or Pixel 2.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Do you need to get a new phone now? The iPhone 8 should be out by Fall. September likely, possibly October if there is a minor logistical delay. If it releases then, you can see for yourself what you'd like about it. And if you don't like it enough, the Galaxy S8 is still around.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Sounds like your S7 Edge is still working for you? I would hang onto it at least until the fall when the new iPhones are released at which point we will actually know what features will be included and how much it will cost since all we have so far is rumors (some consistent, some inconsistent). Once you know the features & price for sure then make the decision as to whether it is worth it for you... If not there will probably be some great sales on the S8 by then.

Reactions: Klyster

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Samsung doesn't care about customers at all. Awful update timing, shady trade in promos, laggy software, and stupid Bixby. Idk why they cannot just improve everything besides hardware? Samsung may have the best hardware and coolest features, but it is not worth the hassle. Go iPhone 8. That's coming from a S8+ owner. I would've skipped this "deal" if I knew they would screw people over on trade ins. If I don't get screwed over, I am keeping my S8+ for a year at least to avoid spending more money to get comparable hardware.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For me, the biggest issue was the ecosystem. I had the S8+ and loved it, but ultimately the iMessage, FaceTime, and just overall consistency brought me back to the iPhone.

Completely agree. The S8 is a nice piece of hardware and Samsung makes a nice phone. But the iPhone's ecosystem, fluidity of iOS, security, and overall I have been impressed with the performance of the processor speed on my 7 Plus.

At this junction, I would wait OP for the iPhone 8. Less than 8 weeks until the launch and I would make a decision then to see if the upgrade would be appeal to you and if the price point is justifiable.

Reactions: akash.nu

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
No point in debating this until there is an actual iPhone 8 revealed.

I would recommend the alternatives to the S8/S8+ right now because Samsung is just obliterating any possible good will people should have to that company. After the battery issues/Note 7 fiasco, you would think they should restore consumer confidence? Nope, they're denying trade ins left and right. People will write to consumer protection bureaus, opt out of arbitration, and possibly generate a class action suit.

Samsung also has awful customer service when you try going through to them. I had them promise not to charge me on the extended warranty plan trial they had before my 30 days were up, they said sure, handed me off to some other department to have "all systems" were down and then I couldn't call back in because of the same message. They do not do warranty replacements either. Ended up having to dispute the charge. You have to ship your phone to some warehouse in Texas to get stuff done. I did that with the Note 2 and I said never again with that.

Meanwhile with Apple, you get timely updates, ease of mind replacements, tons of app/dev support, reliability, and confidence your product will last several years. I do not have that confidence in my S8+ because it might perform well now, but how about 6 months from now? I still haven't gotten 7.1.1 with Android 8 around the corner. Won't get the update till like April 2018 when Android P will be discussed.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I would recommend the alternatives to the S8/S8+ right now because Samsung is just obliterating any possible good will people should have to that company. After the battery issues/Note 7 fiasco, you would think they should restore consumer confidence? Nope, they're denying trade ins left and right. People will write to consumer protection bureaus, opt out of arbitration, and possibly generate a class action suit.

Samsung also has awful customer service when you try going through to them. I had them promise not to charge me on the extended warranty plan trial they had before my 30 days were up, they said sure, handed me off to some other department to have "all systems" were down and then I couldn't call back in because of the same message. They do not do warranty replacements either. Ended up having to dispute the charge. You have to ship your phone to some warehouse in Texas to get stuff done. I did that with the Note 2 and I said never again with that.

Meanwhile with Apple, you get timely updates, ease of mind replacements, tons of app/dev support, reliability, and confidence your product will last several years. I do not have that confidence in my S8+ because it might perform well now, but how about 6 months from now? I still haven't gotten 7.1.1 with Android 8 around the corner. Won't get the update till like April 2018 when Android P will be discussed.

That's a very good point. When I had the S8 I never even got a security update. Plus I had to factory reset it once because the dreaded slowdown happened within 6 weeks.

Reactions: nviz22

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
That's a very good point. When I had the S8 I never even got a security update. Plus I had to factory reset it once because the dreaded slowdown happened within 6 weeks.

Well security updates hasn't been an issue for me. Very good delivery from Samsung this time I have to say.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Also battery life estimations are sporadic too. I can get 23-26 hrs estimated one day, drop the resolution to 720p, then get an estimate of 18 hrs on a full charge, change it back to get 20 hrs estimated on QHD. Estimates shouldn't be all over the place to say the least.
[doublepost=1500305217][/doublepost]
Well security updates hasn't been an issue for me. Very good delivery from Samsung this time I have to say.

Depends if you have the factory unlocked model or not. I have the factory unlocked US model with no July patch in sight. It's already July 17th as well.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The iPhone 8 is a huge unknown at this point, though. The rumors are worrying, so far. But if you wait for the iPhone 8 to actually be released, the S8 will likely be a great bargain by then and Bixby should be in good working order. If you want Bixby. I don't. I read the terms of service and it wants more information that it will hand off to partners than I am comfortable giving. That button is a waste of space for me.

Siri is often a blithering idiot but I've tried almost all of the AI assistants and they all seem to go on drinking binges with Siri. I loved Alexa when I first got the Echo but she's become really ditzy lately.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
For me, the biggest issue was the ecosystem. I had the S8+ and loved it, but ultimately the iMessage, FaceTime, and just overall consistency brought me back to the iPhone.
I'm from Europe where Whatsapp is the way people message each other, so iMessage is not relevant at all for me. FaceTime is something I miss on occassion, as I am often abroad and my family prefers to use FaceTime.

The ecosystem isn't the biggest issue for me with my S7 Edge. Its just that some of the software is inconsistent and that updates take a long time to roll out.

Nothing is sure about anything on the iPhone yet. Wait until it's actually announced for better opinions.
Rumors are all over the place, and most are concerning. :(

Some of the rumors are problems with wireless charging, which leaves some to believe Apple will make a proprietary version of wireless charging, otherwise they wouldn't have issues with wireless charging. Also, a decent chance Apple might ditch the finger print scanner. You also want to see if Apple's rumored facial recognition is good.

I highly doubt Apple will have an Always On Display at release. They will most likely wait until the 2018 iPhone or have a software update on the 2017 iPhone months later.

As far as privacy on Android goes, after install you can easily change the privacy settings for that specific app. That's not a big deal. I do so all the time, and disabling unnecessary permissions doesn't affect the app.

The iPhone announcement will be interesting. I really want an AMOLED display iPhone, but most of the other boxes have to check for me as well. Otherwise I'll just hold on to my iP7+ and wait to see what 2018 bring. Apple almost always has a surprise up their sleeve though.

Meanwhile I'm using the S8+ and love it, and will give that back for the Note 8.
You are absolutely right that none of the iPhone 8's features are set in stone yet!

In regards to privacy settings on Android: yes, you can change the privacy settings but it is not in one place. For some apps, you can simply go to the Settings app and be done. For others, you need to give permission before you are allowed to install an app. In some cases you need to change privacy settings both within the "Settings" app + in the app itself. For many Google apps, privacy settings can be partially changed in the app itself but for a lot of functionality you'll actually need to go to a Google webpage - most people don't even know this, it's crazy!

There are definitely things I miss about the iPhone (e.g., iMessage, battery), but overall, after my first foray into Android with my S7, it will be hard to abandon the customizability and return to an iPhone. It would really have to blow me away. Otherwise, I'll be getting the S8 or Pixel 2.
Which customazibility would you miss?

Do you need to get a new phone now? The iPhone 8 should be out by Fall. September likely, possibly October if there is a minor logistical delay. If it releases then, you can see for yourself what you'd like about it. And if you don't like it enough, the Galaxy S8 is still around.
I don't need a new phone right now.

Sounds like your S7 Edge is still working for you? I would hang onto it at least until the fall when the new iPhones are released at which point we will actually know what features will be included and how much it will cost since all we have so far is rumors (some consistent, some inconsistent). Once you know the features & price for sure then make the decision as to whether it is worth it for you... If not there will probably be some great sales on the S8 by then.
You're right that there are a lot of inconsistent rumours...

Samsung doesn't care about customers at all. Awful update timing, shady trade in promos, laggy software, and stupid Bixby. Idk why they cannot just improve everything besides hardware? Samsung may have the best hardware and coolest features, but it is not worth the hassle. Go iPhone 8. That's coming from a S8+ owner. I would've skipped this "deal" if I knew they would screw people over on trade ins. If I don't get screwed over, I am keeping my S8+ for a year at least to avoid spending more money to get comparable hardware.
Samsung's customer service is quite good in Europe.

Completely agree. The S8 is a nice piece of hardware and Samsung makes a nice phone. But the iPhone's ecosystem, fluidity of iOS, security, and overall I have been impressed with the performance of the processor speed on my 7 Plus.

At this junction, I would wait OP for the iPhone 8. Less than 8 weeks until the launch and I would make a decision then to see if the upgrade would be appeal to you and if the price point is justifiable.
You're right, we're roughly 8 weeks away from the iPhone 8. It's better to wait, especially as I am not in a hurry.

You're right Apple's got a much better update schedule than Samsung (in regards to software updates). But when we're talking about customer service... well, first of all it sucks that you've had a bad experience but that doesn't mean it's always bad.

I'd argue that Samsung's customer service is better than Apple (in Europe). Not that it matters, since the seller of a product (usually a store) is responsible for warranty. I wouldn't buy my phone directly from Apple, and I wouldn't buy my phone directly from Samsung - there are many stores that do warranty much, much better.

The iPhone 8 is a huge unknown at this point, though. The rumors are worrying, so far. But if you wait for the iPhone 8 to actually be released, the S8 will likely be a great bargain by then and Bixby should be in good working order. If you want Bixby. I don't. I read the terms of service and it wants more information that it will hand off to partners than I am comfortable giving. That button is a waste of space for me.

Siri is often a blithering idiot but I've tried almost all of the AI assistants and they all seem to go on drinking binges with Siri. I loved Alexa when I first got the Echo but she's become really ditzy lately.
Yes, perhaps Siri is a blithering idiot, but in my language it's absolutely the best blithering idiot. Better than Amazon's & Microsoft's voice assistants (as they don't offer support in my language) and somehow also better than Google's voice solutions.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
I still use my S6. Works great, does anything I could want and more. Battery could be better but it's two years old and still lasts a day.

No need to change flagship phones until they die imho. They have reached a period of diminishing improvements.

Use your s7 for a few years and save your money for better things

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

This is what I don't like, thy have to do their own 'version' of things, Android has a perfectly good, great some say, voice AI assistant, and still Samsung has to shove its own 'Bixby' version onto its phones with who knows what support, if you can still use things like Google voice assistant then fine but they really do have to do their own version of everything that is already perfectly capable of doing the job.

I have also seen many say the S8 lags a bit, with all that hardware, It really shouldn't be. The S8 is a great design, and cheaper then the iPhone 8 rumoured price, but why not wait for the new Pixel phone?

Reactions: nviz22

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
This is what I don't like, thy have to do their own 'version' of things, Android has a perfectly good, great some say, voice AI assistant, and still Samsung has to shove its own 'Bixby' version onto its phones with who knows what support, if you can still use things like Google voice assistant then fine but they really do have to do their own version of everything that is already perfectly capable of doing the job.

After using Bixby voice for a good several weeks, I have to disagree. There is so much Bixby Voice can do, that Google voice assistant can't.

Full voice access to the ALL settings. (Except developer settings).

Voice control in context of display. Bixby is very context aware. For example: If I have Youtube on the display. I can say "go to subscriptions", or "show me videos with dogs", and it would do what's requested. Without the need to mention Youtube in the command. Google Assistant can't do that.

I can also ask Bixby to "open Gmail and search for acme emails". Bixby will perform that with no problem. Google Assistant can't do that.

I'm also able to tell Bixby to open an app and do multiple tasks in the same command. Google Assistant can't do that.

I find Bixby Voice much more useful than Google Assistant or Siri, and it's still a work in progress not released to the main public yet.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

I have also seen many say the S8 lags a bit, with all that hardware, It really shouldn't be. The S8 is a great design, and cheaper then the iPhone 8 rumoured price, but why not wait for the new Pixel phone?

Essentially I am waiting for the Pixel 2 by waiting for the iPhone OLED model since it could be delayed. My plan is to possibly get a new phone by black friday if Samsung screws me over. Rather get the iPhone if there is a trade in deal to get rid of my SE and buy the iPhone 8 for $600 or so. Though, I am planning to get a Moto E4 to be my android device of choice if Samsung screws me over. I'll use a family member's iPhone 7 plus to get a big screen since I prefer to use 3D Touch and have dual speakers.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Essentially I am waiting for the Pixel 2 by waiting for the iPhone OLED model since it could be delayed. My plan is to possibly get a new phone by black friday if Samsung screws me over. Rather get the iPhone if there is a trade in deal to get rid of my SE and buy the iPhone 8 for $600 or so. Though, I am planning to get a Moto E4 to be my android device of choice if Samsung screws me over. I'll use a family member's iPhone 7 plus to get a big screen since I prefer to use 3D Touch and have dual speakers.

With all the delay rumours, you will be very lucky to get one before 2017 flies by. And at maybe cut-throat $1200 for a reasonable storage model. Getting one at $600 with trade-in, you most probably need (out of this world) luck.

By that time s8/S8+ maybe going for $500/$600 and Note 8 for $700. And S9 is on the horizon which I bet will have lots of stuff Iphone 8 doesnt (just like s8 has a lot over Iphone 7).

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
With all the delay rumours, you will be very lucky to get one before 2017 flies by. And at maybe cut-throat $1200 for a reasonable storage model. Getting one at $600 with trade-in, you most probably need (out of this world) luck.

By that time s8/S8+ maybe going for $500/$600 and Note 8 for $700. And S9 is on the horizon which I bet will have lots of stuff Iphone 8 doesnt (just like s8 has a lot over Iphone 7).

T-Mobile could just put me to the backorder list. Rumor has it that it could start at 64gb for the entry level, right? T-Mobile was offering a free 32gb 7+ with a trade in of select devices like the S7. If I held onto my S8+, maybe I am in that mix for the OLED model? iPhone SE could get me a discount plus I can see T-Mobile doing a huge discount around Black Friday to attract customers.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
T-Mobile could just put me to the backorder list. Rumor has it that it could start at 64gb for the entry level, right? T-Mobile was offering a free 32gb 7+ with a trade in of select devices like the S7. If I held onto my S8+, maybe I am in that mix for the OLED model? iPhone SE could get me a discount plus I can see T-Mobile doing a huge discount around Black Friday to attract customers.

One thing for sure you are not going to get an effective 50% off retail. You are just offsetting your trade in phone value plus renewing an expensive plan. You do the same with s8 you may get it for "free".

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I don't care if it comes with a 18 K solid gold body. I'm not paying $1200 for a friggin phone. I've had no hassles with any of my Samsung's. And again, I have a 64 gb micro card in it.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I still use my S6. Works great, does anything I could want and more. Battery could be better but it's two years old and still lasts a day.

No need to change flagship phones until they die imho. They have reached a period of diminishing improvements.

Use your s7 for a few years and save your money for better things
It has gotten to that point but with the phone plans in Australia you may as well upgrade your phone every year, im on a leasing plan and i love it. I get a new phone every 12 months, only downside is i have to give the old phone back.

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Got an S8 yesterday besides my 7 month old iPhone 7. Both sides have pros and cons. No need for bashing one of them ;) .
Love the max. 10 second shutter speed possibility in the S8 camera PRO mode.
Perhaps I am selling both when the iPhone 8 is available but for now I am switching between S8 and iPhone 7 on a daily basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.