Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What to do?

• Total voters

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I think the Pixel 2 will be the best Android phone of the year tbh now. Best camera on the market most likely, clean Android, fastest updates, has comparable specs to the other flagships, will emulate the HTC U11 or LG G6. If you haven't spent $ on a phone, go with that because the Note 8 seems like the device with a smaller battery than the S8/S8+ and you also have the janky Samsung "Experience" software.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I think the Pixel 2 will be the best Android phone of the year tbh now. Best camera on the market most likely, clean Android, fastest updates, has comparable specs to the other flagships, will emulate the HTC U11 or LG G6. If you haven't spent $ on a phone, go with that because the Note 8 seems like the device with a smaller battery than the S8/S8+ and you also have the janky Samsung "Experience" software.

Did Samsung kill your puppy or something?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Are you referring to the trade in phone being rejected? If that's cheating by Samsung, what do you call those who send in a $20 phone..

Yeah, the trade in promo where they're rejecting people's S6s, Note 5s but let some crappy Alcatel Tracphone go through that people buy directly from a Best Buy to meet Samsung's "loose" requirements. They didn't put down enough caveats to cover their behind.

How can I recommend a phone to someone if they aren't doing their customers right? For years, they haven't updated their software consistently. Samsung devices still have a bit of lag and even have too much resources intensiveness. Their customer service is shoddy at best. Older phones get updated quicker than current flagships at times, especially on T-Mobile. The US unlocked model got updates after carriers.

With my SE, it's completely different. I know I will get years of updates, reliable warranty support, top notch customer service, less lag, and a phone that simply just works even if it doesn't have flashy features. That's why I would say given Apple's track record and assuming the OLED model is a great device, it's better to go with the 8.

If it doesn't have Touch ID, the price is too high, it has a ton of hardware concerns, etc, then I would say go elsewhere like the Google Pixel 2 or get the S8+ if it's cheap enough to warrant the headaches.

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Yeah, the trade in promo where they're rejecting people's S6s, Note 5s but let some crappy Alcatel Tracphone go through that people buy directly from a Best Buy to meet Samsung's "loose" requirements. They didn't put down enough caveats to cover their behind.

How can I recommend a phone to someone if they aren't doing their customers right? For years, they haven't updated their software consistently. Samsung devices still have a bit of lag and even have too much resources intensiveness. Their customer service is shoddy at best. Older phones get updated quicker than current flagships at times, especially on T-Mobile. The US unlocked model got updates after carriers.

With my SE, it's completely different. I know I will get years of updates, reliable warranty support, top notch customer service, less lag, and a phone that simply just works even if it doesn't have flashy features. That's why I would say given Apple's track record and assuming the OLED model is a great device, it's better to go with the 8.

If it doesn't have Touch ID, the price is too high, it has a ton of hardware concerns, etc, then I would say go elsewhere like the Google Pixel 2 or get the S8+ if it's cheap enough to warrant the headaches.

Are you sure Samsung rejected working s6 or note 5 but accepted a $20 phone? Oris it just hearsay from the forum?

Go ahead and get the iPhone 8 at $1100 instead of a $600 s8, if this makes perfect rational sense to you.

I have used Android/Samsung for a long time, and the availability of updates never impacted the usage. If you are talking about new functionalities that goes with updates, then Samsung is always ahead. e.g. Multi window was there long before vanilla Android got it. Same with Iris scanner, NFC, bt5.0, sidesync, flow, Miracast, Pay, gesture

If you are talking about security related updates, the current s8 is very on with regular updates. So you can throw out your argument about updates.

Reactions: Demo Kit

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Are you sure Samsung rejected working s6 or note 5 but accepted a $20 phone? Oris it just hearsay from the forum?

Go ahead and get the iPhone 8 at $1100 instead of a $600 s8, if this makes perfect rational sense to you.

I have used Android/Samsung for a long time, and the availability of updates never impacted the usage. If you are talking about new functionalities that goes with updates, then Samsung is always ahead. e.g. Multi window was there long before vanilla Android got it. Same with Iris scanner, NFC, bt5.0, sidesync, flow, Miracast, Pay, gesture

If you are talking about security related updates, the current s8 is very on with regular updates. So you can throw out your argument about updates.

I wouldn't get the iPhone OLED at MSRP. I would either dump my S8+ via a trade in promo at T-Mobile to get it at a fraction of MSRP on a 2 year contract EIP agreement, wait for a huge price drop, or go with my iPhone SE. I never spend MSRP on phones.

I sold my S7 for $315, looking to get $200 off with my Moto G trade in, I am not looking to pay much out of pocket for the S8+.

I did just say get the S8+ if it warrants the headaches. If Apple charges $1100 for a phone without TouchID and a litany of modern features, then people should avoid it. I would say it's better to Google Pixel 2/2 XL than the S8.

When I mean updates, I mean both getting the big Android ones AND security updates. Security updates are more important because there a newly discovered exploits every so often, so having the patches to cover them helps a bit. I don't open links to junk or anything like that, but it's just peace of mind with the monthly updates. I shouldn't have to wait till March every year to get the big update that other phones have had since November of the previous year.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I wouldn't get the iPhone OLED at MSRP. I would either dump my S8+ via a trade in promo at T-Mobile to get it at a fraction of MSRP on a 2 year contract EIP agreement, wait for a huge price drop, or go with my iPhone SE. I never spend MSRP on phones.

I sold my S7 for $315, looking to get $200 off with my Moto G trade in, I am not looking to pay much out of pocket for the S8+.

I did just say get the S8+ if it warrants the headaches. If Apple charges $1100 for a phone without TouchID and a litany of modern features, then people should avoid it. I would say it's better to Google Pixel 2/2 XL than the S8.

When I mean updates, I mean both getting the big Android ones AND security updates. Security updates are more important because there a newly discovered exploits every so often, so having the patches to cover them helps a bit. I don't open links to junk or anything like that, but it's just peace of mind with the monthly updates. I shouldn't have to wait till March every year to get the big update that other phones have had since November of the previous year.

Are there any Android phones that get the timely updates you are talking about above except for Google phone?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Are there any Android phones that get the timely updates you are talking about above except for Google phone?

HTC did for awhile, haven't followed their update history as of late, but they come to mind. The HTC U11 is overpriced to me, but it's a great phone nevertheless. LG was quick on T-Mobile as well last year. Idk about the rest. I think Sony is worse than Samsung's speeds.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
HTC did for awhile, haven't followed their update history as of late, but they come to mind. The HTC U11 is overpriced to me, but it's a great phone nevertheless. LG was quick on T-Mobile as well last year. Idk about the rest. I think Sony is worse than Samsung's speeds.

Considering my 2 years old Note 5 got updated to nougat, I don't think Samsung is as bad as you said. I doubt any of the other manufacturers have bothered with updates for a 2 years phone.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Considering my 2 years old Note 5 got updated to nougat, I don't think Samsung is as bad as you said. I doubt any of the other manufacturers have bothered with updates for a 2 years phone.

Probably your Note 5 got the update because the Note 7 fiasco. That's what kept the Note 5's pricing up too. If Apple had the S line and iPhone belonged to Samsung, the S5 would be getting a ton of software support to this day. The 5S is getting iOS 11. A 4 year old phone with the latest iOS says something though, especially when it's older than the S5.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Probably your Note 5 got the update because the Note 7 fiasco. That's what kept the Note 5's pricing up too. If Apple had the S line and iPhone belonged to Samsung, the S5 would be getting a ton of software support to this day. The 5S is getting iOS 11. A 4 year old phone with the latest iOS says something though, especially when it's older than the S5.

Well apple is exemplary in the update aspect.

The one bright spot on Android is that most apps and UI services have been delinked from the operating systems. Thus a lot of the negative impacts of not getting os updates are minimized with this architecture.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Well apple is exemplary in the update aspect.

The one bright spot on Android is that most apps and UI services have been delinked from the operating systems. Thus a lot of the negative impacts of not getting os updates are minimized with this architecture.

Yeah, that's true, but they need to figure out a way to get security implemented with patches rather than full fledged OS updates somehow. Makes things more secure. I can't blame people for spending more on the iPhone if they do drop $1100 because they rather spend the $ to get something to last years while Samsung and other products may not offer as much longevity.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Yeah, that's true, but they need to figure out a way to get security implemented with patches rather than full fledged OS updates somehow. Makes things more secure. I can't blame people for spending more on the iPhone if they do drop $1100 because they rather spend the $ to get something to last years while Samsung and other products may not offer as much longevity.

I doubt update longevity is a main factor people are buying iPhone. Think this factor is mainly used by iPhone fans to counter Android advantage but don't figure that much in reality.

I still have my s3 and it is still working pretty well with a lot of latest version apps still running. I can't say the same for iPhone 4/4s compatibility with new version of apps.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I doubt update longevity is a main factor people are buying iPhone. Think this factor is mainly used by iPhone fans to counter Android advantage but don't figure that much in reality.

I still have my s3 and it is still working pretty well with a lot of latest version apps still running. I can't say the same for iPhone 4/4s compatibility with new version of apps.

Android apps are designed to run on less RAM from Kitkat onwards with phones with 512 MB. Plus there is more room to develop on Android since it's the biggest OS around. 4/4S are obsolete devices. No LTE on those devices, no Wi-Fi calling, etc.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

NeonKingKong

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2008
Portland, OR
Don't feel like reading a long story? Scroll to the bottom of this post for a "Too long, didn't read; shorter version please..." section.

Hi guys,

The thread title says it all: I'm still not sure whether or not I should go for the Galaxy S8 or the iPhone 8.

First some history and why I am undecided. I've had an iPhone since 2009 (the 3GS, 4, 5, 6 Plus and 6S). For about a year now, I've owned a Galaxy S7 Edge.

So, why am I undecided? There are some features I absolutely love about the Galaxy S7 Edge: its AMOLED display, compact body & awesome modern design, wireless charging, waterproof, NFC (Apple Pay is not supported in my country) and the always-on display. Yet there are a few reasons why I am considering going back to the iPhone 8:

- New design, almost without bezels with an AMOLED display
- Better security
- More privacy-friendly
- Consistent software design
- Frequent software updates, available for all devices at the same time
- Siri (the S7 Edge doesn't have a voice assistant, at least not in my region)

As you can read, software is the biggest reason why I would consider going back to iPhone. The S7 Edge software is not bad at all! But software updates always lag behind... a new Android version? We must wait for months and months. Security updates? They're there every month, but even those updates usually lag behind one or two months.

One thing I also like more about iOS is that design is consistent across the OS and across apps. On Android, it's sometimes a bit inconsistent.

Last but not least regarding the OS: it's more easy to maintain privacy. On iOS everything is baked off and (at least up until iOS 9) it's always been very clear what information you are sharing with app developers and Apple. On Android, apps want access to the craziest amounts of personal data - and sometimes they won't even install if you don't give access upfront!

Finally, what I somehow manage to miss a lot is Siri. I have discovered that I used Siri much more than I originally thought, especially when driving in a car.

So what to expect from the 'iPhone 8'?
Currently, I am expecting a design with extremely slimmed down bezels. An AMOLED display. And I am hoping for built-in Touch ID beneath the display. I also expect the 'iPhone 8' to cost at least €100 more than what the iPhone 7 Plus costs now.

I also expect wireless charging and always-on display functionality.

The iPhone 7 Plus costs €909, so that would mean the iPhone 8 would go for €1009. That's too much!

So why the Galaxy S8?
The Galaxy S8 won't fix the problems with Android. But since it's a newer model, it's bound to receive updates faster than the S7 Edge. Samsung's voice assistant, Bixby, might be good enough too.
The design is absolutely fantastic. I've seen it in real a few times now and I absolutely love it.

And than there's the display. Just wow. Absolute wow. Love it.

Last, but not least, I simply like new gadgets.

Difference in price
As I said, I expect the iPhone 8 to cost at least €100 more than the iPhone 7 Plus. That would mean the price would be at least €1009. The Galaxy S8, however, is available for just €649.

€1009 is too much. It's €360 more than the S8 and I fear that my €1009 estimate is a conservative estimate...

So why not an iPhone 7 if you want iOS but don't want to spend too much money?
An iPhone 7, at this point, is just as expensive as the S8. Additionally, it's an out-dated design. I don't like it. An old aluminum rear, huge bezels on the front, old LCD display, no wireless charging, no always-on.

Too long, didn't read; shorter version please...
So... long story short: I am undecided as to whether I should wait for the iPhone 8, or if I should simply get the S8. The S8 won't fix all the shortcomings the S7 Edge (my current device) has, but it's an awesome device for a very fair price (€649). The iPhone 8 will, hopefully, fix a lot of shortcomings the S7 Edge has... but the price will likely go beyond €1000.
A huge difference in price is not worth it for me.

Hey I made an extensive post on this very topic, I hope that it can help you decide.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ught-mac-since-the-clamshell-macbook.2069347/

Good luck!

Han.nah_a123

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2018
Don't feel like reading a long story? Scroll to the bottom of this post for a "Too long, didn't read; shorter version please..." section.

Hi guys,

The thread title says it all: I'm still not sure whether or not I should go for the Galaxy S8 or the iPhone 8.

First some history and why I am undecided. I've had an iPhone since 2009 (the 3GS, 4, 5, 6 Plus and 6S). For about a year now, I've owned a Galaxy S7 Edge.

So, why am I undecided? There are some features I absolutely love about the Galaxy S7 Edge: its AMOLED display, compact body & awesome modern design, wireless charging, waterproof, NFC (Apple Pay is not supported in my country) and the always-on display. Yet there are a few reasons why I am considering going back to the iPhone 8:

- New design, almost without bezels with an AMOLED display
- Better security
- More privacy-friendly
- Consistent software design
- Frequent software updates, available for all devices at the same time
- Siri (the S7 Edge doesn't have a voice assistant, at least not in my region)

As you can read, software is the biggest reason why I would consider going back to iPhone. The S7 Edge software is not bad at all! But software updates always lag behind... a new Android version? We must wait for months and months. Security updates? They're there every month, but even those updates usually lag behind one or two months.

One thing I also like more about iOS is that design is consistent across the OS and across apps. On Android, it's sometimes a bit inconsistent.

Last but not least regarding the OS: it's more easy to maintain privacy. On iOS everything is baked off and (at least up until iOS 9) it's always been very clear what information you are sharing with app developers and Apple. On Android, apps want access to the craziest amounts of personal data - and sometimes they won't even install if you don't give access upfront!

Finally, what I somehow manage to miss a lot is Siri. I have discovered that I used Siri much more than I originally thought, especially when driving in a car.

So what to expect from the 'iPhone 8'?
Currently, I am expecting a design with extremely slimmed down bezels. An AMOLED display. And I am hoping for built-in Touch ID beneath the display. I also expect the 'iPhone 8' to cost at least €100 more than what the iPhone 7 Plus costs now.

I also expect wireless charging and always-on display functionality.

The iPhone 7 Plus costs €909, so that would mean the iPhone 8 would go for €1009. That's too much!

So why the Galaxy S8?
The Galaxy S8 won't fix the problems with Android. But since it's a newer model, it's bound to receive updates faster than the S7 Edge. Samsung's voice assistant, Bixby, might be good enough too.
The design is absolutely fantastic. I've seen it in real a few times now and I absolutely love it.

And than there's the display. Just wow. Absolute wow. Love it.

Last, but not least, I simply like new gadgets.

Difference in price
As I said, I expect the iPhone 8 to cost at least €100 more than the iPhone 7 Plus. That would mean the price would be at least €1009. The Galaxy S8, however, is available for just €649.

€1009 is too much. It's €360 more than the S8 and I fear that my €1009 estimate is a conservative estimate...

So why not an iPhone 7 if you want iOS but don't want to spend too much money?
An iPhone 7, at this point, is just as expensive as the S8. Additionally, it's an out-dated design. I don't like it. An old aluminum rear, huge bezels on the front, old LCD display, no wireless charging, no always-on.

Too long, didn't read; shorter version please...
So... long story short: I am undecided as to whether I should wait for the iPhone 8, or if I should simply get the S8. The S8 won't fix all the shortcomings the S7 Edge (my current device) has, but it's an awesome device for a very fair price (€649). The iPhone 8 will, hopefully, fix a lot of shortcomings the S7 Edge has... but the price will likely go beyond €1000.
A huge difference in price is not worth it for me.
[doublepost=1530445560][/doublepost]I would say get the iphone 8 as it has more features that would would like to have in a phone. However the S8 has similar features to the iphone. As you have had an iphone for a longer amount of time then a samsung you are more confortable with its easy layout. I think the price differences is not so much as a big deal if you real do like the phone.

Reactions: akash.nu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.