Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Many people are still using it, and I suspect because it still meets their needs.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
I'm running Snow Leopard and Mavericks.

Mavericks (and Mountain Lion, etc) has some nice features, but I am sure that some people use SL because as maflynn said, it meets their needs.

What is nice about SL in my opinion is that it was created back before the Apple "Crackdown." If you don't want a program that came bundled with your OS you can delete it (shock!), and everything isn't tied directly into the App Store and iCloud the way that it is in newer versions.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Hello all,

is someone still using Snow Leopard? And if yes, why?

Because that's what came on my Mini when I bought it, and it still works. There isn't anything I want to do that I can't do. I'll upgrade the OS when I have to buy a new Mac.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
Could performance be the reason why people choice to use Snow Leopard? I for example have the feeling, that Mavericks runs a bit slower on my MacBook Pro than Snow Leopard did some years ago.

Bertrude

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
England
Yep. If only to run some legacy PPC applications - Freehand MX predominantly.

If Rosetta was included with subsequent OS revisions then I'd have upgraded a long time ago.

artguy3d

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
Love Snow Leopard.

If they brought back Rosetta they would have me for sure, but when I've installed the various lion versions I see no reason to change and still have the preponderance of compatibility weighing the scales for Snow Leopard!

iBaloney

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
I've upgraded from SL to mavericks, and the only performance difference is that it takes ~10 seconds more to boot up.

fessen

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
I am still using Snow Leopard.
Why should I upgrade when (almost*) everything I use the computer for works fine with the OS version that's currently installed?

When I went from Leopard to Snow Leopard, I went through almost a week of misery trying to figure out why the system was no longer working. I have no desire to go through anything like that again.
Why fix what ain't broke?

And until now, the upgrades have cost $$. But haven't offered any new features that made me feel like I was really missing out on something.

*I recently bought a new external memory device that the manufacurer advertised as being compatible with OS X 10.5+. Turned out it was NOT compatible with 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), and providing a compatible driver was clearly not a priority for them (they were mostly only interested in serving Windows users) because they still hadn't produced a working driver after 8 weeks! Fortunately, being able to use that piece of equipment wasn't critical for me.

It does feel like we Snow Leopard users are becoming the sad stepchildren of the OS X world, though. We don't even get our own forum here at Macrumors. I wonder if when I ask a question whether the people who might actually know the answer won't ever see the question because they are only following a forum for one of the newer OS X's.

ofbarea

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2013
Yes. Still using Snow Leopard because as I need to run some PPC applications. I will gladly upgrade to latest OS X if I could buy Rosetta for Maverick.

Actually earlier this year I bough a new "Ivy Bridge" MacBook Pro 2012 (MD102LL/A) that I had to exchanged with a friend for a older "Sandy Bridge" Late 2011 (MC724LL/A), just to install Snow Leopard on it.

----------

:( Perhaps I just need to learn how to install Snow leopard in a VM and get over it :mad:. This way I will run Maverick as my main OS and Snow Leopard inside a VM.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I still use Snow Leopard on my iMac (not my main computer) and my MacBook.

It works, so I just use it...

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Yes. Still using Snow Leopard because as I need to run some PPC applications. I will gladly upgrade to latest OS X if I could buy Rosetta for Maverick.

Actually earlier this year I bough a new "Ivy Bridge" MacBook Pro 2012 (MD102LL/A) that I had to exchanged with a friend for a older "Sandy Bridge" Late 2011 (MC724LL/A), just to install Snow Leopard on it.

----------

:( Perhaps I just need to learn how to install Snow leopard in a VM and get over it :mad:. This way I will run Maverick as my main OS and Snow Leopard inside a VM.

I'm still on my "Arrandale" MacBook Pro (2010), still on Snow Leopard. Mountain Lion would run fine, but I ran into a nasty audio stuttering bug, pretty annoying. Mavericks is still early in its lifecycle, amidst ****** graphics.

I guess when my MBP dies, it dies with SL on board... :D

bidwellian

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2010
yes, because :apple: broke things that were fine before. (I don't want an ipad experience in my desktop) Annying things lke "save as" missing and permissions issues, etc)

The only thing is that SL has an old version of open GL so may have to try Linux in the near future.

twingo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2009
I still use Snow Leopard on my 2009 Macbook Pro 17.
Tried Lion, but it did not work properly.
Never change a running system...

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
I specifically hunted down a 2010 mac pro that had only ever had snow leopard on it just so I could upgrade from my 2008 and stay with SL. SL never crashes, is fast as hell, does not deal with apps like ios and comes on disc so don't have to download anything to get it running. Every time I think I want to upgrade to the latest OS I sit down and study long an hard to see if there are any issues and there are always tons of them. Nope. Staying with SL until I absolutely can't any longer.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I understand to have it in VM / dual boot, but I don't see a reason why should I have it as main OS :):confused:

How can you VM it? I thought Apple didn't allow that and it wouldn't run? I would LOVE to do that with VMWare Fusion.

Msail30bay

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2014
Penn., USA
LOVING It!

Loved it and STILL using with on my MacBook and MBA. My father has ML on pro and he is not too happy about it, wished he could install Snow Leopard but........ To me it is flawless and have NEVER had any issues with it since if came out ......??? I really wish is had iCloud though as my iPhone, iClould and SL dose not communicate very well. Still I manage somehow. My Safari is 5.1.10 and again zero problem with sites, streaming, whatever. So I feel no need to upgrade.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Loved it and STILL using with on my MacBook and MBA. My father has ML on pro and he is not too happy about it, wished he could install Snow Leopard but........ To me it is flawless and have NEVER had any issues with it since if came out ......??? I really wish is had iCloud though as my iPhone, iClould and SL dose not communicate very well. Still I manage somehow. My Safari is 5.1.10 and again zero problem with sites, streaming, whatever. So I feel no need to upgrade.

The only thing that work on SL with iCloud is Notes under Mail. The rest I prefer having them synced via iTunes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.