Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Msail30bay

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2014
Penn., USA
The only thing that work on SL with iCloud is Notes under Mail. The rest I prefer having them synced via iTunes...

:eek: Note to self, edit post BEFORE posting. I use my iPhone along with iCloud and yes iTunes for docs. etc. iCloud does not work with SL but I can STILL do certain things with it, such as mentioned above. I'm waiting.... (eyeballing his shiny new MBP) ...... for my father's MBP as he uses them for a year or so and then hand it over to me..... soooo ..... I will continue using iCloud.

CarlSGutekunst

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Northern California
Hello all,

is someone still using Snow Leopard? And if yes, why?

I have Mavericks on my wife's shiny new iMac, Snow Leopard everywhere else. Reasons:
  1. Rosetta, not only for apps I don't want to pay to upgrade, but also for hardware I don't want to have to throw away;
  2. Aqua scroll bars and scrollbar buttons;
  3. Save-As that works properly;
  4. Many many little UI quirks that Apple changed unnecessarily in Lion, ranging from not showing the battery time to the unreadable dock when it's on the side.
The scrollbars are enough of an issue for me (I'm partially disabled) that I'd consider a Hackintosh as my main system before upgrading to Mavericks.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
How can you VM it? I thought Apple didn't allow that and it wouldn't run?...

It was a common Urban Myth that the Snow Leopard EULA prohibited its virtualization in Lion, Mt. Lion and thereafter. That myth was largely debunked over the last two years.

The issue was mostly rendered moot when Apple threw in the towel and dropped the price of Snow Leopard Server to the same price as Snow Leopard, namely $19.95.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It was a common Urban Myth that the Snow Leopard EULA prohibited its virtualization in Lion, Mt. Lion and thereafter. That myth was largely debunked over the last two years.

The issue was mostly rendered moot when Apple threw in the towel and dropped the price of Snow Leopard Server to the same price as Snow Leopard, namely $19.95.

So I can install the server version into VMware and it will support it natively?

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
I still use Snow Leopard on my 2009 Macbook. Mainly because whenever I try to install Mavericks or Mountain Lion, the App Store gives me errors or forgets how to download things I've bought on another computer.

Snow Leopard is a good kitty! :)

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
So I can install the server version into VMware and it will support it natively?

I am not sure what you mean by the word "natively" but yes: you can install Snow Leopard Server into VMWare Fusion and it will support it. My personal experience is more with Parallels.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Still have it on a machine. Works crazy fast in every task I want, so no reason to update it. As many applications are starting to drop support for Snow Leopard though, it'll become difficult to resist the urge to upgrade.

sotosoul

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
Athens & Copenhagen
I still use SL on my late 2007 MacBook. I used Lion and SL a while ago, but I poured coca-cola on the keyboard and now the pins of one of the RAM slots are oxidized, so I cannot install more than 2 GB...
Works like a charm, though!

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
I am also still using SL, on a MBP 2011. Great OS and lightning fast.
I dual boot with Mavericks.

Although I am not entirely against the path Apple is going with OS X and the upcoming Yosemite I will try to use Mavericks and Snow Leopard for as long as possible. I love the glossy traffic light buttons, the aqua buttons and the overall grey.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Remember, if continued use of PowerPC apps is one of your reasons for having Snow Leopard, be sure to pick up a copy of Snow Leopard Server from Apple for $20. Put it up on the shelf for the day when you must upgrade your hardware and using SLS in a VM is your only option remaining for access to Rosetta.

If/when Apple ceases the sale of SLS, its price on the aftermarket will skyrocket.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Remember, if continued use of PowerPC apps is one of your reasons for having Snow Leopard, be sure to pick up a copy of Snow Leopard Server from Apple for $20. Put it up on the shelf for the day when you must upgrade your hardware and using SLS in a VM is your only option remaining for access to Rosetta.

If/when Apple ceases the sale of SLS, its price on the aftermarket will skyrocket.

Will it...? By the time Apple ceases SLS sale, Snow Leopard will be too far gone... :(

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I've got this old Mac mini (1.66GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD) that is running Snow Leopard. I boot it every so often and get files / surf the internet on it. It's a really great OS. Also reminds me of the good old times of MacThemes (RIP) and my love of OS X customization. I do wish I had some better hardware to run it on though.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Will it...? By the time Apple ceases SLS sale, Snow Leopard will be too far gone... :(

I think you missed my point:

Let's say you own a 2011 iMac that primarily runs Mavericks, but you dual-boot to Snow Leopard from a 2nd partition in order to access your large library of Freehand MX files, an orphaned program that requires Rosetta and has no Intel substitute.

One day your 2011 iMac fails and you purchase a new iMac. At this point, whether tomorrow or years into the future, you discover that Apple no longer sells Snow Leopard Server, or has raised the price back up to $499 retail.

In order to continue to access your large Freehand MX library, you need to run Freehand MX in Snow Leopard Server installed into Parallels to regain Rosetta functionality.

Hence best to purchase a copy of SLS now for $20 and put it up on the shelf for this rainy day! :)

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
I think you missed my point:

Let's say you own a 2011 iMac that primarily runs Mavericks, but you dual-boot to Snow Leopard from a 2nd partition in order to access your large library of Freehand MX files, an orphaned program that requires Rosetta and has no Intel substitute.

One day your 2011 iMac fails and you purchase a new iMac. At this point, whether tomorrow or years into the future, you discover that Apple no longer sells Snow Leopard Server, or has raised the price back up to $499 retail.

In order to continue to access your large Freehand MX library, you need to run Freehand MX in Snow Leopard Server installed into Parallels to regain Rosetta functionality.

Hence best to purchase a copy of SLS now for $20 and put it up on the shelf for this rainy day! :)

I think you missed my point as well...

It's the same thing when I imply SLS going too far with something like - if VM still support Windows NT4 or Windows Server 2003... If so, did the aftermarket prices of these 2 products ever go up in the past...?

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I think you missed my point as well...

It's the same thing when I imply SLS going too far with something like - if VM still support Windows NT4 or Windows Server 2003... If so, did the aftermarket prices of these 2 products ever go up in the past...?

Rather than give an analogy (I am not a "Windoze" guy), why don't you just restate your point, so I can see how I missed it...

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Rather than give an analogy (I am not a "Windoze" guy), why don't you just restate your point, so I can see how I missed it...

It's very simple... My question "will it", was referring to your statement of an increasing aftermarket price, to which I further implied, by the time Apple ceases SLS (which could be another 3 to 5 years down the road), Snow Leopard will be too far gone, so as Freehand MX in your analogy. Because by then the latest Freehand on sale will be few versions away, far more advanced...

So if you're in the market for a new Mac, why not new software...? It defeats the purpose of getting a new Mac when the software is still relying on an ancient piece of architectural translation matrix bogged down by performance issue.

Unless you're into the Chinese unethical scalping method of driving aftermarket prices over obsolescence...

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
You were the first person in this thread to name "Rosetta" as a reason for continuing to use Snow Leopard, but apparently, you are not as well versed in Rosetta, and the PPC apps using it, as I thought:

1. You have no idea when Apple will cease selling SLS or return its price back to the original $499 retail price it sold for when Rosetta was eliminated from OS X Lion in 2011. It could come tomorrow, or as you suggest, in years to come.

2. Use of Snow Leopard Server in Virtualization, such as Parallels, is for one primary purpose: to regain access to Rosetta, so as to run PowerPC apps.

3. Snow Leopard Server is the only "off the shelf" means to regain access to Rosetta in a post-Snow Leopard world, such as Lion, Mt. Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite.

4. In "3 to 5 years down the road" Snow Leopard Server will run in virtualization, such as Parallels, exactly the same as it runs today! There is no "too far gone!"

5. Freehand MX has not been available for sale since Adobe acquired it, with the purpose of killing its competitive effect on Adobe's core products, back in 2005. Hence its only availability is to run existing copies of it in Snow Leopard with the Adobe supplied patch, available on its website. There are or will be no "latest Freehand on sale will be few versions away, far more advanced..."

6. So, when you suggest: "So if you're in the market for a new Mac, why not new software...? It defeats the purpose of getting a new Mac when the software is still relying on an ancient piece of architectural translation matrix bogged down by performance issue" you are missing the point of the analogy: There is NO new software available to replace Freehand MX and the only way to continue to utilize one's library of Freehand MX created graphic images is through the virtualization of SLS.

Also, on today's modern i5 and i7 Macs, Freehand MX runs faster in SLS in virtualization than it did on the old PPC iMac G4 and G5 for which it was developed.

Obsolescence is on the computer of the beholder: Better to pay $20 now for SLS and put it on the shelf, then to have to pay $100, $200, $499 or more later on!

Will it? Of course: Snow Leopard Server is the only means to regain access to Rosetta "off the shelf!" The demand is there, and once Apple raises its price, or eliminate sales altogether, 3rd party sources will take advantage of this lack of low-price competition to dramatically increase the price of their limited inventory.

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Another example by way of analogy:

The OS X version of the game Risk II does not run well after OS X Tiger.

Here is Tiger running in virtualization, so that one can run the OS X version of Risk II.

Good luck buying a reasonably priced non-machine specific copy of OS X Intel-Tiger or Tiger Server in the aftermarket, now that it is no longer available from Apple...

[click on image to enlarge]

Attachments

• Tiger in SL.png
    Tiger in SL.png
    555.1 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
You were the first person in this thread to name "Rosetta" as a reason for continuing to use Snow Leopard, but apparently, you are not as well versed in Rosetta, and the PPC apps using it, as I thought:

Nope... I've ditched Rosetta the moment I upgraded my software to Intel Binary, which begs the question, if Freehand MX had been discontinued, why not alternatives...? Even my 7-year old scanner with proprietary scanning software does only Rosetta and PPC, gets ditched with alternative Intel architectural equivalents. SLS or VM ain't gonna stay forever.

But don't you dare telling me I'm not well-versed with Rosetta just because I don't use Freehand MX. It's because I'm lucky enough to have found alternatives and not tied to obsolescence. The only obsolescence I'm tied to is SL's stability and efficiency which can no longer be found post-SL...

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Nope... I've ditched Rosetta the moment I upgraded my software to Intel Binary...

If you have no reason to use Rosetta, why are you chosing to continue this debate with me, when others, who are not "lucky enough" to have "alternative Intel architectural equivalents" do have reason to continue to use Rosetta?

They are the ones whom I advise to purchase a copy of SLS for $20 and put it on the shelf; not you!

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
If you have no reason to use Rosetta, why are you chosing to continue this debate with me, when others, who are not "lucky enough" to have "alternative Intel architectural equivalents" do have reason to continue to use Rosetta?

Because you claimed that I missed your point... Isn't that why you started this debate...?

----------

They are the ones whom I advise to purchase a copy of SLS for $20 and put it on the shelf; not you!

This is why I question your motives by sarcastically asking "will it..?", you said I missed your point and turned it into a debate...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.