Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
Initially you buy everything and then after a while you start to get selective. Personally I seem to have slowed down looking and rarely get anything.

You all the same? I hope that prices start to go up and the quality starts to improve.

ChocolateApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
New York
No. I have a problem. I am an app addict -- esp. for iPad specific apps.

I look at the AppAdvice page daily, buy something, then have buyer's remorse when the iTunes receipt comes in.

vstephenson

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2007

I look at the AppAdvice page daily, buy something, then have buyer's remorse when the iTunes receipt comes in.

What he said

Spending far too much on iPad apps Especially trying the variants of task managers / notepads etc to find the right ones for me

I wish more had a try before you buy mode :(

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
What he said

Spending far too much on iPad apps Especially trying the variants of task managers / notepads etc to find the right ones for me

I wish more had a try before you buy mode :(

No wonder the app store is so successful if people just get things for the hell of it!

Moomba

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I only have a handful of apps on my iPad. I have a ton on my iPhone, but I find I hate using the scaling feature of iPhone apps on the iPad. Also, a lot of the main apps I use on the iPhone have yet to be updated for the iPad. Then again, I use my iPad more for everyday productivity tasks. The iPhone I use for quick tasks, and my MBP for in depth tasks and content creation.

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK

I find it quite interesting. What do you buy? I look and tend to think that I already have one (that's crap) or that nothing appeals. I look now for specifics and can count on one hand apps that I use on a regular basis.

jarvijarv

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
SoCal
Pretty much any app with an HD attached to it is worth checking out. I have about 15+ apps specifically for the iPad. But with the iPad still in its early stages and the App Store ever expanding for the iPad, I don't see myself stopping to buy apps. I check the the App Store daily on my iPad, especially the Featured Section to see what's New, What's Hot, and New Releases! ;)
FreeAppAlert(iPad) is a great site to check out newly FREE apps almost daily! :D

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
I use cracked apps to determine what apps to buy, as a "trial" per se. I don't care if people call me "scum" because I do that, I do it because i don't want to blindly buy an app and throw my money away if it's a ripoff.

Computer apps offer fully functional trials, which many of us use to make our decision whether or not to buy.

To answer your question, I probably won't stop buying (after trying). I've set myself a monthly limit for iPad apps and an initial one of $75-$100. If the apps satisfy me after use during a day or two, I'll buy it from the App Store and support the developer. If I don't like the app after using it for a day or two, then I won't buy it, that's my philosophy, and I'm perfectly okay with it. :)

Hoping some more killer apps will be coming out soon, apps like Penultimate, which are MADE for iPad, and not simply iPhone ports.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I still keep an eye out for new/updated apps or apps that I didn't know about before, but I'm getting fewer now than when I first got the iPad.

A few days ago I bought iAnnotate because of their update that made it usable, and I also recently bought 5-0 Radio HD so that I could listen to ESPN Radio.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I had that problem when the app store first opened with the iPhone.

The novelty has long wore off, and I'm now very selective with buying apps for my iPad. I have paid for my first app yesterday in fact, after two months of owning the iPad.

The app? Air Video. Worth every penny!

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
If people really buy so many apps, does not this defies the purpose of having apps in a first place? While some types of apps are indeed disposable (games) most are not. The fact that one keep buying new apps however clearly indicates that he does not use the ones he already bought.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
I spent about £30 in Apps the night before the international released and I haven't spent money since...which is... yes, it's just two days...

But anyway I don't buy unless I find something that really gets me, mostly game-wise, I think dev should step up a bit in quality now that iPad has apps for about £6.

Main reason I stopped maybe is because I'm not addicted to apps.

kutsushita

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
Houston
Most stuff is free. And the other stuff is less than the price of a burger and if America bought more apps and less burgers just for the hell of it, we'd be healthier.

Lol I always think like this as well and usually justify stupid purchases based on the fact that I'd just go to a bar or something worse instead and spend money killing myself.

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
Lol I always think like this as well and usually justify stupid purchases based on the fact that I'd just go to a bar or something worse instead and spend money killing myself.

Not sure how this works. If you don't spend money on something inert like an app you'll go to a bar!

I use Weatherbug for iPad (free), hotel mogul (game) and pages.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
I'm forcing myself NOT to buy a shedload of apps right now, mainly because I've already got a page of them to work through. Instead I'm listing everything I want to get (let's hear it for Wish List) and coming back later. After all there's always sales going on in iTunes and there's no point in buying something now just to see it drop in price for a few days before getting a chance to properly use that app.

One thing I am finding is I'm much more likely to spend more for iPad apps. I'm trying to work out why this is and I think it comes down to usage. On the iPod Touch I'm usually just using a game or app for a minute or two then moving on. The iPad however has already become my main computer and I'm more likely to curl up on the sofa for half an hour or more and play something so I feel like I'm getting better value out of it. Plus, let's be 100% honest with ourselves here, £8 is not a vast amount of money to spend for a new-release game from a major publisher offering several hours of content. Not that I want to see that become the norm but I think it's a fair price, especially considering the relative size of the market compared to the other iDevices is so small. Would like to see more Universal apps in future mind...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.