Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Really am extremely curious for the GPU and afterburner prices... I suspect about 1000 for the Vega II and another 1000 for the afterburner. I’d be happily pleased if 1000 would get me even a Vega II Duo.

This thread started out about storage and that afterburner and GPU prices are covered in multiple other threads. It can get repeated here but there is really no new info that has leaked out to get to substantively different conclusions. [ I don't think those prices are going to be on the mark for Vega II just looking at the amount of HBM2 memory and the going rate for that kind of memory. ]

And the biggest question- do you think we’ll be able to purchase let’s say a Vega Duo or the afterburner later on separately straight from Apple?

The Mac Pro Tech Specs page has a 'Accessories and Kits' section. That is the stuff that will also be on sale. The Vega II's and Afterburner are there. There really shouldn't be much doubt and mystery here about availability for purchase later ( other than their prices ) . Those three ( two GPUs and Afterburner) are on the same sub-portion of the list as the XDR display.

The Promise Pegasus stuff is in the "Storage" sub-portion . I don't think Apple is going to put those in for folks. They will sell them on the site though and arrive in a separate box.

Reactions: chfilm

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Just think... you will have a lot of upgradable RAM steps at your chronological and financial leisure.
[automerge]1575704245[/automerge]

I'm interested -
Why would you want to exchange your Dell T9710 that seems to fit your needs very well at the moment for a Mac Pro 7.1?
No exchange really, would run both for different purposes (am presently running a MP 5.1 along side), however would want to migrate or add 'some' 2.5" SSDs. Plus, is really out of interest more broadly & to see if/how Apple just 'might' get back on track with the pro market, or not. The Dell can also get quite loud (fans) when doing film rendering /DaVinci Resolve etc - so am interested to see if the MP thermals will deliver on quite or not. Will also be interested to see the various tests by platform agnostic people over (say) Jan /Feb to see what's real and what's not.

Reactions: OkiRun

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Storage? This tower has only two drive slots (& they are for propriety devices). I'm aghast that in a physically large tower like this, that there are NO user-configurable storage bays, eg, in my Dell T9710 worstation I have eight drive bays that can take 3.5" spinners or 2.5" SSDs (plus 7x PCIe sots).

I noticed it doesn't have a Superdrive either. The horror. I expect that most customers who need extra internal storage will have no use for "bays", and those who are still using old technology should expect to kit that out for themselves instead of expecting the majority to pay to support old technology that they have no use for.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
There is likely some class of customers who said they did not want much storage at all.
I have a number of 'diskless' servers for VMware. HPE (and Dell) servers come with an SD card slot on the mobo. 32 core, 768 GiB systems booting from a 32 GB SD card. 80+ TB of disk on an FC SAN.

(and less than 2 GB is in use on the SD cards, other 30 GB for wear leveling)

Last edited:

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
This thread started out about storage and that afterburner and GPU prices are covered in multiple other threads. It can get repeated here but there is really no new info that has leaked out to get to substantively different conclusions. [ I don't think those prices are going to be on the mark for Vega II just looking at the amount of HBM2 memory and the going rate for that kind of memory. ]

The Mac Pro Tech Specs page has a 'Accessories and Kits' section. That is the stuff that will also be on sale. The Vega II's and Afterburner are there. There really shouldn't be much doubt and mystery here about availability for purchase later ( other than their prices ) . Those three ( two GPUs and Afterburner) are on the same sub-portion of the list as the XDR display.

The Promise Pegasus stuff is in the "Storage" sub-portion . I don't think Apple is going to put those in for folks. They will sell them on the site though and arrive in a separate box.
Thanks, I hadn’t noticed it was down there in that accessories section. That’s sweet!

i guess we can all stop speculating in two more days now :)) eeeeee

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.