Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gralem

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
Hitting a link from slashdot took me to a japanese site that was dissecting the eMac. In one photo next to the eMac was a BLACK iMAC!

here is the photo

I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like a mod. It looks like an actual black iMac. Note what appears to be the iMac label on the monitor. The black coloring appears to be everywhere, including under the clear plastic around the screen.

The rest of the eMac information (in Japanese) is here.

The japanese-captioned photo gallery begins here (the 4th page has several black iMac images along with japanes captions).

Babelfish was of no help. Nor was http://store.apple.com/0120-APPLE-1/WebObjects/japanstore.

Is this really a mod or a product or a possible product?!

---gralem

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
BTW...welcome to macrumors gralem!! :D

[edit]ooops! Just checked your profile, u registered 03-26-2002, u just haven't posted much, seeing as you have been around for the last three months the welcome is a little late :D[/edit

gralem

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
Sorry, I tried to look for a thread already, but didn't see it.

---gralem

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
It was over at Appleinsider as well talking about the emac or something. That is just an iMac painted. There are tons of Japanese sites that show mods to macs like that. They also did a flower power ibook last year.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Originally posted by irmongoose
its just you.. if you take a look at some of the other pictures on his site, you can see that the TiBook is in its own original cover... its just the lack of light making it look black.

irmongoose

i think it is just you. :cool:

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
black imac?

ugly?

let's put it this way... it would really stand out.

it ain't ugly. at the moment, i can't seem to imagine, that i would still enjoy the color after a week.

i don't have a black imac, so i can't tell.

take it easy guys.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by redAPPLE

i think it is just you. :cool:

Do you perhaps have your screen set to 'dark' or something? The only reason it appears black is because the titanium is reflecting the black from the iMac.

The tibook has not been modified (from what can be seen in the photo)

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by el_aarono
They probably just painted it and swapped keyboards with the original iMac in the back.

They didn't swap keyboards. The keyboards that came with the original iMac were smaller, and the one in the pic is the same size as the others. It's just one of the 'pro' keyboards that come with the G4's. It's funny, because you can buy a white or black keyboard or mouse...

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
That was a sweet pic. But, ofcourse, unless its some Japan only promo thing, its fake. Someone just got bored and had the half assed idea to paint their new iMac and take the keyboard and mouse off their friend's new G4. Vouala! You got urself a black iMac.

~Bust

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
very interesting...it's got to be from that same thread's website yesterday...

I was telling my boss about it also...

is it just me...or did the one yesterday have a white keyboard? this one has the older black Pro Keyboard...

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by Kid Red
It was over at Appleinsider as well talking about the emac or something. That is just an iMac painted. There are tons of Japanese sites that show mods to macs like that. They also did a flower power ibook last year.
Was it that lime iBook that was on Macworld's website?

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Mods like this

Mods like this are very popular in Japan. When I was over there last summer, I bought a Mac magazine (forget what it was called) that had a mod of an early iMac (CRT, one of the pre-slot-loading Revs, A-D) that was painted to look like a New York taxi!

It was bright yellow and had a go-fasta-stripe around the side. They gave full instructions on how to dismantle the plastics and spray them properly. No doubt some other crazy individual thought he'd modify (read: ruin) his new LCD iMac by painting it black.

I think Mods are great, but they have to work. Try looking up some of the Palm OS modifications in a search engine and see the Japanese really go to town. If you search o'grady's powerpage you'll probably turn up articles on this too

[chhhttttttt] over and out [chhhhhhhttttt]

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger

No it's not. It's just darker because of the backlighting

Shaolin, if you take a look at irmongoose's post, he already answered the question. Nice try on trying to gain posts.

Since the "dark side" is still down, I will just lightly warn you to at least look carefully at what others have posted, so that way you aren't possibly flamed at for free posts.

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
Does anyone know any homepages that have a modified 2001 ibook? I've been seeing iBooks everywhere so now I want mine to stand out?

ericb88

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2002
it's like a yellow car

I mean it looks great, but would you want one of these in your garage (computer desk) every day?

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Guys, I didn't get the reason of the black iMac, how did they did that?

I like it white better even the black color is very well done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.