Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Back in the day when I first started in film photography, I mostly used the "guitar straps". I used them then because I was buying and using 70s and 80s cameras, and that was what a lot of them came to me with. They were always fine with me-plenty long and also wide enough to spread out the weight of a heavy camera like an F-1 or T90-but I never liked that they weren't super grippy.

More recently, I've taken to being "That guy" who uses the strap that comes with cameras. I tend to mostly use them as shoulder straps and normally they can go long enough to do that. They're flashy, though(a big bright yellow and black strap with the camera model on it) and even though the back side is grippy they more like soft sandpaper that doesn't give a ton of real grip.

I've had a couple of revelations lately. The first was buying a Kodak SLR/n(which is ancient now...) and it came with a branded strap, but nice heavy padded foam. I've had this style strap before and like them for heavy cameras(which the SLR/n is not...) but it also doesn't have a lot of grip.

The second was with my X-T5. Fuji didn't mess around on the strap for this. For one, the branding is a bit more subtle. For another, the pad on it is thick foam covered in fabric and has grippy rubber "nubbins" on the underside. it's also super long-almost too long for a neck strap but great for over the shoulder or even enough that if I do neck+under arm there's enough for me to still get it to my eye.

That has me rethinking things. I'm not always dealing with light stuff here-a D850+24-70 f/2.8 is common, as is a D5 with who knows what.

For those of you who have gone outside supplied/factory straps, what do you like?

Here's basically my wish list:

LONG strap-long enough for shoulder carry to still bring up to my eye without removing
Padding to make carry of heavy cameras/lenses more comfortable
Some solid anti-slip surface. I'm not picky about what as long as it works, although I know the rubber nubbins embedded in the fabric seem to work well. On both sides of the pad would be great so that I don't have to pay attention to how I'm putting it on, but this isn't make or break
It would be great if it had a sliding pad over a thinner web(not the pad fixed in one spot) so that could optimally position it, but again not make or break
Also, I know what I'm looking at might be pricey, so some sort of "system" where I could have 2-4 strap with separate pigtails that stay on the camera so I can easily move between.

If it makes a difference too, all of the cameras I currently use have lugs and split rings, not slots.

Last thing-I tend to put RRS or Kirk plates on most of my cameras, and many of those have various style attachment points for straps. I'm not sure how I feel about bottom straps, but I do see people using them. Does anyone have experience with these?

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Most of my straps are flowy scarf styles that are quite feminine and wouldn't appeal to you (presumably, but hey, you do you). However, I do have a Peak Design strap that my son bought me on my F100 that I like. They have a good interchangeable system with clips affixed to the camera and that you can swap out the strap, so I'd suggest looking at those.

I think I have an older version of this one.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Most of my straps are flowy scarf styles that are quite feminine and wouldn't appeal to you (presumably, but hey, you do you). However, I do have a Peak Design strap that my son bought me on my F100 that I like. They have a good interchangeable system with clips affixed to the camera and that you can swap out the strap, so I'd suggest looking at those.

I think I have an older version of this one.
Thank!

I'm looking at Peak now and like what I see so they're looking a strong option at this point

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
My favorite strap has always been the Nikon AN-4B - it was minimal, just black woven nylon and it didn't yell NIKON! with its branding. It's narrow on the ends but has a pad in the center of the strap, where it widens to about an inch, that is about the most grippy I've ever found. This is the most less-is-more strap I've ever used, and you can find them for around half the price on eBay.

I also have two very fine straps that are both well made and about an inch wide through most of their length. One is a Domke Gripper and the other is ThinkTank. They use different rubbery grip designs that basically run throughout the length of the straps. And though the Domke looks like it is the heavier duty strap, the grippy parts are like long rubber threads that are woven through the strap, and after a while they begin to rub away and break. The ThinkTank looks cheaper, but I've found it actually has stood up to wear and tear much better than the Domke. Neither of these straps are padded but I think both are comfortable.

When I'm working with two cameras, I use the Holdfast Gear Moneymaker Swagg, the most over-named strap ever. It's one of those X-across-the-back strap systems that allows you to carry two cameras and add accessories. I bought the canvas one, but it's available in leather. Super adjustable and comfortable. Awkward when you want to sit down. It uses heavy duty clips that hook through swivel eyelets that attach to the camera body or a long lens collar or whatever. Basically anything that has a 1/4 thread hole. Great for covering events, news, etc. Super easy to bring the camera up to your eye fast, very comfortable and very secure. Can be a bit of a pain if you have an on-camera flash that has an external cabled power pack, though.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I can second Peak Design straps (and the system itself). I use one of the wider ones on my d850 that I like. It's comfortable on up to my Tamy 150-600 at least. Lighter gear I use Artisan & Artist rope-style straps - I think they're silk - and are great because you can quickly turn them in to hand straps and so forth. Super comfortable. Along with that, for heavier gear (perhaps oddly), I'm a fan of good hand straps (Peak makes some, though I haven't tried them). Probably as many ideas as there are people. :D

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
dc
My preference is as basic as possible - I use those 1/2" black straps. However I place those quick release mountings on the camera's access points. This allows me to go from a neck-length strap to a short strap just to wrap around my hand. As far as carrying the camera I really like just a soft shoulder bag instead of hanging the camera off my shoulder - same speed getting the camera out just doesn't swing and bang around like a bare body does :oops:

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
I never use the strap provided with the camera as I don‘t want to advertise a premium brand (and model) to potential thieves as I walk about. additionally, my preference is not their default over neck and camera in front. My preference is sling over shoulder (or more secure cross chest that won’t slip off shoulder) wit the camera grip convenient to my right hand to pull up to eye level as needed. For years used the inexpensive ($20) Op-Tech which served well. Single camera attachment at strap mount that strap quickly released from, leaving the attachment clip on camera. Had a sliding second attachment point originally meant for large/pro SLR to attach to optional battery/motor drive, but in my case additional support when using a large telephoto and attach to lens.

Upon purchase of a Sony 200-600, I switched to Peak Design and keep two clips permanently attached to that lens. The other two clips that came with the strap are attached to the camera for everyday use. It gives me the same over shoulder/cross chest that the Op-tech did but two hookups to the camera. The weak point is the bottom plate attachment which is perhaps over engineered. could be wrong, but don’t believe the default plate that comes with the straps is Arca-Swiss compatible and I use my standard Arca-Swiss plate. It is an inexpensive generic that has a second bar to attach the clip and allow easy transition from walk around to monopod/tripod.

On a related note I returned the holster/belt clip. While it was advertised as Arca-Swiss compatible, it was but didn’t trust it. First, standard plates would not fit and had to use the miniaturized Peak Design plate. While it would mount on monopod/tripod, was not the interlocking “V”, but one plate slinging over the other. While probably would not loosen to flip off, the Peak Design lacked the end stops and could slide off if the clamp slightly loosened.
IMG_0124.jpeg
IMG_0123.jpeg

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Peak Design all the way for me! I first explored it a couple of years ago, my curiosity having been pricked by others' mentions of the system and it seemed as though time and time again I was seeing these cute little red-and-black thingies dangling from an awful lot of camera bodies. During a discussion on here in another thread I was reassured about some of the concerns I had and so one day decided to try things out. Didn't take long for me to realize the amazing versatility of the system. It is particularly useful when one has several camera bodies and various uses for those bodies with different lenses, etc.

One day, for instance, I can be shooting macros at home and the wrist strap is ideal for easy handling of the camera; later I might decide to take that same camera body outside for some more extensive shooting of a different sort and because I'm going to be using a heavier, longer lens, I'll simply swap out the wrist strap in seconds for one of the full-out or lighter, thinner straps. I usually wear the strap connected to both eyelets on the camera body, but rather than using it sling-style I simply go with cross-body, which is most comfortable for me. I have an Arca-Swiss plate connected to the tripod mount on all of my cameras and do not put anything else there. The idea promoted by some sling strap manufacturers of connecting the strap to one of the body eyelets and then the bottom/tripod plate does not appeal to me at all.

With my 200-600mm lens I still have an Op/Tech strap connected to the lens itself and then use the full PD strap on the camera body. Until I get the thing safely on the tripod or off the tripod I wear both straps around my neck. Ditto for the times I actually attempt to handhold that lens.....

I have not tried using the holster/belt-clip thingy, as I really don't need it for most of my shooting. I have the straps in the various sizes and that has worked out well for me. I also have to admit that for years I had not liked wrist straps. PD has made me a believer in those, too!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
Just don’t drop it

Had a photographer at a wedding, kinda interesting, he had what looked like leather suspenders on, one camera hanging down under each arm, seemed to work for him

It was like a mix of a shoulder rig gun holster and some steam punk type deal

Or just don’t drop it

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Just in pondering this(sorry if I come across as rambling-I had a procedure done earlier this week and between a day coming off anesthesia and now some occasional pain meds I've felt a little scattered)...but Kodak was big on hand straps with their DSLRs.

In fact they put a 3rd lug on the bottom side of the grip of all of their cameras and the standard configuration was a sturdy padded strap that ran alongside the camera's padded strap. I actually love those-they are comfortable and secure even on something like the DCS 760, which is an F5 with Kodak's appendages hanging off the bottom of it. I haven't seen any aftermarket options that make anything like that.

With that said, I should know tomorrow on the Peak straps. I'm optimistic that I'll like them.

I did have an Optech strap once on my RB67, and it was very comfortable but then I think I only actually carried that camera on my person(as opposed to in a bag) two three times.

Reactions: r.harris1

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Okay, so wanted to follow up.

I got two Peak straps on Saturday-both the AS-AL-3 slide in ash.

Initial impression of them was great. I love the feel of them-yes they do remind me of a seatbelt, but they are very soft and yet feel very strong. The padding on them is just right. It's not obvious, but definitely is there, and the "grippies" are perfect also. I love how easy it is to change the length for my purposes.

Right away I set up anchors on my D5 and D850, then set the straps up on those cameras. I ended up using the D5 Saturday evening, and it all worked out great for me.

I'm sold to the point that I ordered two more of them. I ordered a wrist strap also, but after reading some reviews I'm not sure if I will end up keeping it.

I see now too that they offer the "clutch", which is what I was describing as Kodak use to put on DSLRs. I may give one of these a try.

The only small downside I see is that I'm not wild about their bottom mount, but there's also no reason for the clutch or others that I can't just attach an anchor to the RRS/Kirk QR plate I already keep on most cameras.

I may give one of the slim ones a try also for my X-T5, although for now the regular seems fine.

With the way the anchors are designed, I'm thinking too it may be possible to hook them onto the Hasselblad strap lugs. One of the things I run into with a lot of Hasselblad stuff-or at least the ancient 60s and 70s Hasselblad stuff I have-is that they made their own quick release type units for straps and tripods, which is great except that they aren't the same as what anyone else has since made! There's some charm to the old thin leather strap I have on my 500C with its nice Hasselblad clips, but it's also not the most comfortable with anything other than an 80mm lens. I think the Peak anchors should hook and secure nicely around the strap "buttons" on the Hasselblad bodies.

Thanks everyone for turning me on to these!

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Peak design for me. I have anchors on all the cameras and a couple options on straps - fixed rope, leather, nylon leash, wrist straps and then just choose based on. Mood as I go. Cannot fault them except on price

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I prefer the strap that comes with the camera over all others, since I only used the strap when needed. For example, to prevent the camera from dropping in the water or any other place (floor, concrete, lake, and so on).

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Yeah, once I went to Peak Design, it was game over. I just like the ability to detach quickly, like for around the house stuff, but it's really convenient when you get into positioning where the strap is a hinderance, and detaching one end quickly frees the camera up without a bunch of jerky movement. Very handy for wildlife where big movements scare things away. Interestingly, I don't actually use the strap that came with mine. It was a small width model, which was fine on an E-M5, but not on heavier gear. I just cut it off and looped a traditional wide strap in instead. It's the interlock mechanisms that are genius.

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
I really love these op tech stretchy camera straps. I have a fuji XT-5 so I may prefer a different style if I had a heavier/lighter camera but for my shooting these have been perfect for me. The stretchy strap means that it doesn't dig into my neck, it's soft which helps the comfort and it acts as a bit of a shock absorber as I'm walking.

I think if I had a heavier camera I would like one that clips to a belt or maybe those shoulder harness you can clip to and for a lighter camera I would like a hand strap but for my shooting the op tech seems to work best.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Peak Design all the way for me! I first explored it a couple of years ago, my curiosity having been pricked by others' mentions of the system and it seemed as though time and time again I was seeing these cute little red-and-black thingies dangling from an awful lot of camera bodies. During a discussion on here in another thread I was reassured about some of the concerns I had and so one day decided to try things out. Didn't take long for me to realize the amazing versatility of the system. It is particularly useful when one has several camera bodies and various uses for those bodies with different lenses, etc.

One day, for instance, I can be shooting macros at home and the wrist strap is ideal for easy handling of the camera; later I might decide to take that same camera body outside for some more extensive shooting of a different sort and because I'm going to be using a heavier, longer lens, I'll simply swap out the wrist strap in seconds for one of the full-out or lighter, thinner straps. I usually wear the strap connected to both eyelets on the camera body, but rather than using it sling-style I simply go with cross-body, which is most comfortable for me. I have an Arca-Swiss plate connected to the tripod mount on all of my cameras and do not put anything else there. The idea promoted by some sling strap manufacturers of connecting the strap to one of the body eyelets and then the bottom/tripod plate does not appeal to me at all.

With my 200-600mm lens I still have an Op/Tech strap connected to the lens itself and then use the full PD strap on the camera body. Until I get the thing safely on the tripod or off the tripod I wear both straps around my neck. Ditto for the times I actually attempt to handhold that lens.....

I have not tried using the holster/belt-clip thingy, as I really don't need it for most of my shooting. I have the straps in the various sizes and that has worked out well for me. I also have to admit that for years I had not liked wrist straps. PD has made me a believer in those, too!

I’ve been looking for one of those straps I see people wearing that go around the shoulder and allows the camera to sort of slide up and down your chest so you can let it hang when necessary, and pull it up to shoot quickly as well. Not sure what they are called or who makes them? They also have another strap that goes around the other shoulder to keep it all secure it seems.

How do you like the 200-600? I rented one last spring and loved it, but due to the horrible haze we had that entire month I barely used it. I’ve been thinking of getting one but have been having trouble justifying the cost, I really want it, just wondering if others who have purchased one have had any buyers remorse?

I was at a race in April and by the end of the day my neck was killing me, I only have the stock strap which works fine for small light lenses, but even that irritates my neck. I’ve seen some straps that attach to the lens itself which makes sense as I don’t trust that little mount with a heavy telephoto lens!😳 And I noticed the 2-600 has attachment points for a strap which is pretty nice.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I love the 200-600mm! It IS heavy, though, and so I often put it on the tripod or occasionally handhold it if I'm shooting from my deck at home. It is a truly nice lens and with a 1.4x teleconverter on it can provide a nice reach. I don't use it as much as I had anticipated at the time I purchased it, because much of the time I use the 100-400mm for walking around. I have an Op/Tech strap connected to the lens that I just leave on there all the time even when I've got a Peak Design one on the camera body itself.

The kind of strap you are describing is called a Sling strap, and various companies make them. Black Rapid is one brand that comes to mind, and Peak Design also makes sling straps. Op/Tech does as well. I tend to prefer neck straps but adjust them to be long enough so that I can wear the strap cross-body, which helps take some of the pressure off my neck. I have several Peak Design straps in varying widths, as the smaller, lighter lenses don't require heavy-duty straps, and the joy of the Peak Design system is that one can quickly swap straps as a particular situation warrants.

Reactions: redbeard331

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
I love the 200-600mm! It IS heavy, though, and so I often put it on the tripod or occasionally handhold it if I'm shooting from my deck at home. It is a truly nice lens and with a 1.4x teleconverter on it can provide a nice reach. I don't use it as much as I had anticipated at the time I purchased it, because much of the time I use the 100-400mm for walking around. I have an Op/Tech strap connected to the lens that I just leave on there all the time even when I've got a Peak Design one on the camera body itself.

The kind of strap you are describing is called a Sling strap, and various companies make them. Black Rapid is one brand that comes to mind, and Peak Design also makes sling straps. Op/Tech does as well. I tend to prefer neck straps but adjust them to be long enough so that I can wear the strap cross-body, which helps take some of the pressure off my neck. I have several Peak Design straps in varying widths, as the smaller, lighter lenses don't require heavy-duty straps, and the joy of the Peak Design system is that one can quickly swap straps as a particular situation warrants.

Thanks, sling is the word I was looking for, I found this, never heard of the company, and they look kinda dorky, but my neck would be so thankful. I have a bad lower back, and my neck has been really bothering me the last few years and I just cannot handle anything around my neck anymore. The weight of the 600 caused me pain for days after one day at the LBGP.

Something like this seems optimal, no strain on the neck and always easy to quickly access the camera.

IMG_3313.png
IMG_3314.png

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Thanks, sling is the word I was looking for, I found this, never heard of the company, and they look kinda dorky, but my neck would be so thankful. I have a bad lower back, and my neck has been really bothering me the last few years and I just cannot handle anything around my neck anymore. The weight of the 600 caused me pain for days after one day at the LBGP.

Something like this seems optimal, no strain on the neck and always easy to quickly access the camera.

View attachment 2244810 View attachment 2244809

Be careful. Was intrigued with Peak's equivalent backpack strap/belt attachment harness but returned it. "Arca-Swiss" compatible was one way as the Peak harness wouldn't support a normal Arca-Swiss baseplate, defeating the purpose as had to remove the plate and attach theirs. Worse, theirs, besides being physically smaller square rather than rectangle, was concerned about hardiness. Normal plates interconnect with the "V" groove, where the Peak was a single ledge that the "V" slid over. Concern wasn't that would loosen enough to flip out, but loosen just slightly and didn't have the end stops to prevent a slide out.
While I don't have the 600mm (drool, drool) I do have the 200-600mm. Got the idea to just slide the lens foot mount into the belt with the weight keeping it down while walking (and further secured with strap attached for when hand holding). Don't know if the 600 has similar mechanics, but that experiment didn't last more than 100 yards and back to monopod holding rifle style or one arm front/side, switching position for comfort - and loosely fitting strap attached to lens for security in case slipped out the monopod mount. When belt held, with each step heard and internal click-click, click-click. Guessing it was the auto-focus mechanism or stabilization component. No way I was going to hike several miles, potentially mess up/destroy whatever the internal mechanism was and have to send in for repair.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.