Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alecc131

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
I cannot setup my mini. Gets stuck on “configuring” after initial setup, then after awhile will reset itself. I have three other HomePods and never before had this issue. Unless there is a fix, mini is unusable. Anyone else have this problem?

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Mine took a long time to configure, one was much longer than the other, but they configured.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Mine did that too. Actually I had a terrible day with it and was ready to return it. It would get partially setup and then not play music or find Airplay devices when I was playing from phone.

Ultimately what I had to do was go into iCloud and Remove it. After I did that I did a factory reset. Signed out of iCloud and back in. Then did the setup again, making sure I was on the same wifi network as my other devices. It finally worked. It did take QUITE a long time for it to download the 14.2 update but it is finally working as it should.

alecc131

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
Maybe it’s an issue with this specific HomePod. I have another mini coming today. Hoping not the same issue.

I’m really not sure what to do at this point... I have three other HomePods and dozens of HomeKit accessories. Never had this much trouble.

hv4153

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Maybe it’s an issue with this specific HomePod. I have another mini coming today. Hoping not the same issue.

I’m really not sure what to do at this point... I have three other HomePods and dozens of HomeKit accessories. Never had this much trouble.
Don´t think so, at least with mine. I configured a second Home in HomeKit for testing, put the problematic HomePod mini into this new Home and the setup process worked smoothly - using the same AppleID(s). After resetting it again, deleting the Test-Home and setting it up for my real Home it it stuck again.

So I think it has something to do with the integration into my Home....

alecc131

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
So it worked in your real home after going through the process with the fake home?

hv4153

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Unfortunately not. Still waiting in configuring mode...

What also tried: I connected the HomePod to my MacBook, reseted it and updted it to 14.2. Thought ist could help. Didn‘t help ?

alecc131

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
Maybe it is the HomePod itself? Or my iCloud account... I tried creating a fake home, on my iCloud account, and that too is stuck on configuring. I also tried setting up through both my iPhone and iPad. Same result... configuring.

I am going to try setting it up with my wife’s phone/iCloud to see if that works – just to eliminate variables (either the HomePod hardware or software, or my iCloud)

Reactions: hv4153

alecc131

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
It didn’t work setting up on my wife’s iCloud either.

I also tried restarting my WiFi network (Eero) and it still didn’t work.

Maybe it’s the HomePod mini... although I can’t understand how it would be a hardware issue.

hv4153

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I hope it´s an Apple HomeKit problem. My hardware seems to be ok at least as ist worked wiith that Fake-Home-Thing.

Sometimes there have been happening strange things in my HomeKit configuration in the past and most of them solved itself after some time....

alecc131

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
Issue is, after some time, the HomePod keeps completely resetting/erasing itself, back to the initial setup screen.

I’ve had to repair it at least 10 times now.

Biggest surprise: it seems very few of us are having this issue.

All of the reports I have seen indicate that set up has gone easily for 99%

alecc131

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
Weirdly –– one of the HomePods finally paired! I'm not sure exactly the steps to resolve, as I was trying a bunch of things. But perhaps switching off/on iCloud Keychain and Home toggles did the trick. I am now trying to get the other one to configure, but it is still being stubborn.

Reactions: hv4153

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Sounds like something unique to your setup based on it happening to two different speakers, and then one finally working. Not sure what it could be though, should be a simple setup for everyone.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Guys, do what I said above. Try to remove it from iCloud. Remove it from Homekit. Reset it. Go into iCloud on your devices and remove it from there. Log out of iCloud. Log back into iCloud. Do fresh setup.

alecc131

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
Guys, do what I said above. Try to remove it from iCloud. Remove it from Homekit. Reset it. Go into iCloud on your devices and remove it from there. Log out of iCloud. Log back into iCloud. Do fresh setup.

Update: just tried these exact steps again. HomePod is again stuck configuring.

How long did it take yours to move on from configurations?

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Update: just tried these exact steps again. HomePod is again stuck configuring.

How long did it take yours to move on from configurations?

It took about 20 minutes or so then went straight to updating and downloading 14.2. You did the unplug HomePod then hold down until swirling red and three beeps reset? I think what happened to me initially was that I setup on the wrong wifi network and then expected the HomePod to work right away. It is pretty slow in this regard in that I waited for it to completely configure then update...yes downloading 14.2 took what seemed like hours.

hv4153

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Ha, it´s finally working for me. Don´t know exactly what did the trick as I did three different things this morning, while it was still in configuration mode:

1. I renamed it in the HomeApp
2. I restarted it by pulling the power plug (only for 2 seconds this time)
3. I left home for longer than 15 minutes for the first time since the HomePod mini arrived to drive to work

About 1 hour later I checked the HomeApp and everything was fine.

But I assume it would have worked out even if I wouldn´t have done anything of the above. I think something with my HomeKit might have been stuck in the backround and now got somehow working again now....

• Love
Reactions: bjarnet3

elkaboing

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
Chicago
Came here hoping for a clear answer. Mini’s been configuring for almost 20 hours. Went through the reset, re-setup process a few times with the same result.

Reactions: alecc131

elkaboing

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
Chicago
How do you remove it from iCloud?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.