Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Northeast Cold

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2020
I purchased a HomePod Mini for my children for Christmas. I set it up this morning without any problems. I then noticed it was connected to the 5GHz WiFi network and I wanted it on the 2.4GHz. So I switched my phone the 2.4 and removed the HomePod from my “Home”. I then reset it and it and tried to set it back up without success. It has been getting stuck in “configuration” even after multiple resets. I have tried removing it from my iCloud account and even signed out of iCloud on the iPhone I was using to set it up. I have tried at least a dozen times and it will not configure, it just gets stuck. I just love spending my Christmas Holiday messing around with electronics that don’t work as expected. Any advice?

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I purchased a HomePod Mini for my children for Christmas. I set it up this morning without any problems. I then noticed it was connected to the 5GHz WiFi network and I wanted it on the 2.4GHz. So I switched my phone the 2.4 and removed the HomePod from my “Home”. I then reset it and it and tried to set it back up without success. It has been getting stuck in “configuration” even after multiple resets. I have tried removing it from my iCloud account and even signed out of iCloud on the iPhone I was using to set it up. I have tried at least a dozen times and it will not configure, it just gets stuck. I just love spending my Christmas Holiday messing around with electronics that don’t work as expected. Any advice?
Same problem here. Only thing I can think of is that iCloud is having issues. Apple’s status page says that there are ongoing iCloud sign in issues as of this morning.

Queenmallory

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2020
Hello everyone,

First of all, Merry Christmas everyone.

Like many I also had a HomePod mini as a gift and like many I find myself in the following situation with the message in the Home application: "The HomePod is being configured, other options will be available soon".

I have two Lifx connected bulbs and an Apple TV 4K. By setting up HomePod mini, it can play music, works with AirPlay, but I can't control my bulbs. I did like a lot by resetting the HomePod mini a few times but nothing helped.

Until I thought about it, for a long time I have been using my two bulbs and my Apple TV 4K and I have repeatedly changed iPhone (I have an iPhone 12 now), but I have never reset my Home app and my devices have always been there, the HomePod mini therefore conflicts with my old configuration that has remained for several versions of iOS and it is therefore not compatible with the configuration of the current Home app.

I have found a solution that works, here is:

- Delete the entire home from the Home app
- Relaunch the detection of your HomeKit devices
- Reset the HomePod mini (unplug the HomePod mini, wait 10s, reconnect between 5s, place your finger in the center, white light, red light, Siri message, three beeps and release the middle finger)
- Detect your HomePod mini again, if it is not up to date (I was in 14.2, it downloaded 14.3 for me), it will update, all the options appear, including including intercom.
- If you have an Apple TV / 4K TV (go to my Apple TV 4K, settings, AirPlay and HomeKit, choose Access: "My network ...".)

Normally your HomePod mini and maybe your HomePods should work normally.

See you soon.

Queenmallory

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
I received a HomePod mini today as a gift, and was struck by the 'configuring' issue. Must've waited over 2 hours and there was no movement. I didn't know at that point that other people were also being effected by this issue, and thought it was unique to my set up. I managed to get it fixed, and here's how I did it.

Admittedly this is quite drastic and probably a last resort fix, but if you've tried everything else like I did, you might find it useful:

1. Turned off the HomePod and removed the HomePod from my Home app on the iPhone I used to pair it
  2. Removed the HomePod from my list of iCloud devices
  3. Plugged the HomePod into my Mac, and then restored the HomePod software and firmware from there (it's very easy to do, you just plug it in and then HomePod will show up in the Finder as any other iOS device would)
  4. The HomePod light flashed orange whilst the Mac downloaded the software and applied it, once it was finished, the Mac informed me that I could unplug the HomePod
  5. Turned the HomePod back on after plugging it into the mains, set it up using the same iPhone as before.
  6. Configured in a matter of seconds
  7. Enjoy!
Granted, since I did this I found out that this issue is widespread and appears to be an issue with Apple's servers. Had I known that I'd probably have waited a while before taking the above action. Still, if you're at your wits end it's worth a shot.

jdkmac

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2007
I had the “configuring“ problem today. After 8 hours, I unplugged it for 15 seconds and after that everything worked fine. Your mileage may vary, but worth a shot!

cobracnvt

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
I had the "configuring" problem today with a HomePod mini. I left it for several hours, but it never configured. It still played music, but HomeKit wasn't happy. The following steps to retry the setup worked for me after one try (maybe I got lucky):
  1. I removed the HomePod Mini from Homekit via the Home App on my iPhone by
    1. long pressing on the HomePod icon in the home app
    2. pressing on the gear icon at the bottom of the new screen or just continue to scroll down the page.
    3. scrolling to the bottom of the new screen and selecting "reset HomePod".
  2. The HomePod itself was then reset to factory defaults
    1. I followed the "Press the top of the HomePod to reset it" section from this document:
      1. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208244
  3. I setup the HomePod again as if it was new using my iPhone and added it to the room in my HomeKit setup.
  4. It stayed in the "configuring" stage for ~15 minutes and then it was done. It then showed that the 14.3 update was available and it installed without issue.

Greigarious

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2020
I had the same problems as others: “Configuring”, no HomeKit integration, plays music fine though.

I reset Homepod Mini about 5 times last night plus manually installed latest software via Mac connection. No luck.

I tried powering off my airplay Sonos kit and Apple TV and doing a full restore. No luck.

This morning I manually removed Apple TV from Apple Home app (“remove accessory”) and reset the HomePod (power off and hold for the red light method) then reconfigured.

It worked first time and everything is working as it should. Not sure if the Apple TV change fixed it or whether it was a server side problem but it all working for me now.

*Update* Two hours later. Despite it being fully registered in the Home App and having it previously working during the "Configuring" stage I can no longer attach to the speaker from my phone or Mac to control the speaker. The handoff option to tap the speaker to transfer music has stopped now also. Siri can now control my smart lights and the speaker still plays music when I talk to it. Really really annoying!

*Update 2* Ok rebooting the phone fixes the connection problem so it now seems to be working ok on the phone. I still can't get my Mac mini to connect to the HomePod though even after rebooting....!

*Update 3*. To fix the computer connection I did another factory reset and reconfigure from scratch. Now Siri can play music and control my lights, my phone can handoff to the HomePod and my computer can use the speaker. I think I am now finally all set up 24 hours later. What a faff!

*Update 4*. FFS. There is an approx 2 second lag between the computer and the HomePod which makes it useless for playing games. How hard are they making this!?!?!

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

Northeast Cold

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2020
Here is what worked for me (finally). During the first set up, when everything worked perfectly, I had noticed the HomePod Mini did a software update. After spending much of the day repeatedly removing the device from my Home, removing it from iCloud, resetting the HomePod, signing out of iCloud on my phone, re-setting the HomePod Mini, and then having it get stuck in "configuring" I finally decided to try 1 more thing. I have 3 AppleTV's in my Home that are all HomeKit bridges. I went to each one of them and made sure they were running the newest software update (14.3). I found that 2 of them were still running 14.2 and updated them. I then noticed my phone had an update and I proceeded to update my phone's iOS to the newest OS. After this, I removed the HomePod Mini (that was still configuring) from my Home and from my iCloud devices. I then proceeded to reset the HomePod (again) and set it up as a new device (again). This time it worked and configured in a few seconds! I don't know if this will work for anyone else but it is worth a shot if you are experiencing setup issues.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I bought my elderly father one for Xmas , he was having problems working it as he can’t remember to say hey Siri .. then I find that next time he has a problem with it he’s going to cut the cable with some scissors... :rolleyes: needless to say I’ve now removed it and put it in the front room

Problem is its not working properly , I assume it’s down to iCloud issues?

LindaR

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
Homepod Miin stuck on configuring. I called Apple Support and it is a known issue and they are working on it. Supposedly should be resolved within 24 hours. They said to occasionally unplug and replug.

jeroen020

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I couldn't solve it in any way other than going nuclear and wiping my complete HomeKit setup. I've started from scratch and could immediately add the HomePod mini and OG HomePod that were stuck for weeks before.

Greigarious

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2020
I suppose I went kiloton rather than megaton by just removing Apple TV from home. But that worked also.

However I only have 3 lights and a thermostat also connected.

Misterbister

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2021
I had the same issue, and it seems the setup was never quite finished. It took a long time to get them to work. I too have a mesh network, like some of you. I had to reset the speakers six or seven times until I got it right. Eventually I got it to work though.

This is what failed: setting up both speakers in stereo config using default naming in one go. The failed setup resulted in many different strange phenomena, such as just one speaker sounding, handover working with just one speaker and even sound progress bar moving on the device connected to the speakers but no sound at all playing.

What eventually worked for me was setting them up, one by one. Not adding the stereo option to begin with, but making them separate speakers. I also renamed them as separate names (homepod mini 1 and HomePod mini 2), and chose a new ew name for the room to add them to. After that was done, I joined them in stereo mode and renamed the connected pair to a third name (stereopod). The first time, joining them got stuck and never completed. I disjoined them using the setting in the home app, didn’t reset anything at that time but just tried to stereo-couple them again, and the second time it worked. They were joined in stereo mode. Handover worked to both of them. Sending audio from a Mac worked - as did all else.

Really frustrating, but I think the setup process is vulnerable to some kind of network hiccup. It waits to complete some kind of setup, handshake process, and if that is somehow disturbed, the process takes a long time or sim0ly won’t finish.

From theories in this forum, I had a look at my mesh network logs and my routers logs to make sure nothing was blocked there, which was a real possibility since I run an IPS/IDS. Nothing though. So I think it is all in the speakers and Apples chosen method of setting them up or sign off to Apples‘s servers or something. Most likely a buggy, unstable or (at least) not idiot proof enough implementation. Yet.

Hope this helps someone else.

Reactions: jeroen020

lurgenB

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2021
I was having the same issue where it would just be stuck showing configuring in the home app. According to this apple support doc you have to add the HomePod from the same device on which you initially created your home...

I had created my home on an old iPad Air that would not update past iOS 12. So I had to remove my home from that device and recreate it on my iPhone and then HomePod setup went through smoothly first time and only took a few minutes. Unfortunately this meant I needed to re-add all my other devices to the home app.

Hope this helps!

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I was having the same issue where it would just be stuck showing configuring in the home app. According to this apple support doc you have to add the HomePod from the same device on which you initially created your home...

I had created my home on an old iPad Air that would not update past iOS 12. So I had to remove my home from that device and recreate it on my iPhone and then HomePod setup went through smoothly first time and only took a few minutes. Unfortunately this meant I needed to re-add all my other devices to the home app.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate the post but unfortunately, I didn’t find this to be true. I redid my HomeKit home on my current iPhone 12 Pro about a month ago. I have four HomePod Minis. I added two back in December which were configured and added very quickly. I went to add a third one the other day and I got the dreaded stuck on configurating for a few hours. I forgot where I read it (possibly in this thread) but the advice was to remove it from the Home while its stuck in configuring and also remove it from iCloud. Then add it back again as it was brand new. I did this and it was up and running in about 10 minutes, same as the first two I added.

Mikey1001MM

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2024
So finally I fixed this. Go to My Home, where all devices are show. Click on the threee dots for home settings. Where its speakers and tv settings, go on there change from sharing this network to sharing “this home”

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
AppleCare’s advice is to turn off all but a single Wi-Fi access point, in case you use a mesh network or multiple APs with Ethernet backhauls (like I do). That worked for me, when I had my HomePod mini stuck on “configuring.”

I have done so much HomeKit, Apple TV and HomePod troubleshooting lately, it’s not even funny. Something is seriously wrong with HomeKit!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.