Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ParisKts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2023
Hello everybody, yesterday I had an update on opencore and I did it normally, after the update and the restart of my MacBook pro (13inch 2014) I press my password and my MacBook stucks on logging screen (with the rolling thing) and I haven't access on my Mac and my files.
Now my problem is my files, I have precious files inside my MacBook and I don't know what to do, I have access on opencore boot screen and on log in screen until the password phase ( it's a simple 4 digit pin and it's correct)
Did anyone of you had tha same issue?
Do you know what to do?
Can I save my files?
Or can I save my Mac os without formatting my Mac again?

Thank you for your time and any help or idea will be very helpful..
P.S excuse me about my bad English, I'm a little bit rusty 😂

Here it's a photo with the log in stucked screen after pressing the right password.

Attachments

• IMG_20230603_041429455.jpg
    IMG_20230603_041429455.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 1,965

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
Try booting into recovery mode and copy your files in Terminal. Or:

Find another computer, install the previous version of OpenCore to a USB drive.

Use the Mac to boot the USB drive, select OpenCore and boot Ventura in the Mac.

Graoully

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2023
Hello everybody, yesterday I had an update on opencore and I did it normally, after the update and the restart of my MacBook pro (13inch 2014) I press my password and my MacBook stucks on logging screen (with the rolling thing) and I haven't access on my Mac and my files.
Now my problem is my files, I have precious files inside my MacBook and I don't know what to do, I have access on opencore boot screen and on log in screen until the password phase ( it's a simple 4 digit pin and it's correct)
Did anyone of you had tha same issue?
Do you know what to do?
Can I save my files?
Or can I save my Mac os without formatting my Mac again?

Thank you for your time and any help or idea will be very helpful..
P.S excuse me about my bad English, I'm a little bit rusty 😂

Here it's a photo with the log in stucked screen after pressing the right password.
Hello, I actually have the same issue (MBP mid-2012). Did you find a way to make your Mac working again ?
Safe mode doesn’t work either. And I don’t have another Mac on which I could install the older version of opencore..
Thx

David_OpenCore_12_1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2023
I have the same issue as well with a Mac 12,1 - was working fine on OpenCore 0.6.3, but yesterday I saw the option to upgrade to 0.6.7 so I did, efi update worked, rebooted signed in - all fine - then did the post install patching, rebooted - went to sign in and have been in the same stuck scenario since then. Cannot do a safe mode boot - it stops at 50% loading..

David_OpenCore_12_1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2023
I have the same issue as well with a Mac 12,1 - was working fine on OpenCore 0.6.3, but yesterday I saw the option to upgrade to 0.6.7 so I did, efi update worked, rebooted signed in - all fine - then did the post install patching, rebooted - went to sign in and have been in the same stuck scenario since then. Cannot do a safe mode boot - it stops at 50% loading..
have tried creating a usb bootable drive with 0.6.3 - have booted form that and then the hard drive to load the OS, but I still get the same issue after I logon with "Optimising your mac" being shown and no hope from there on... I have the original Ventura builder usb stick - I may try to boot from that and reinstall ventura again to see if that works and if that undoes whatever the 0.6.7 post installation did to make my machine die. I've seen other posts that say go into recovery and terminal and delete certain files but I cannot even logon as me or see the contents of the active hard drive to try the changes.... failing that it's going to be a recovery back to what I had before opencore was used and reinstall opencore from scratch. I will lose 2 months of data in documents if I do that....

David_OpenCore_12_1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2023
have tried creating a usb bootable drive with 0.6.3 - have booted form that and then the hard drive to load the OS, but I still get the same issue after I logon with "Optimising your mac" being shown and no hope from there on... I have the original Ventura builder usb stick - I may try to boot from that and reinstall ventura again to see if that works and if that undoes whatever the 0.6.7 post installation did to make my machine die. I've seen other posts that say go into recovery and terminal and delete certain files but I cannot even logon as me or see the contents of the active hard drive to try the changes.... failing that it's going to be a recovery back to what I had before opencore was used and reinstall opencore from scratch. I will lose 2 months of data in documents if I do that....
It's as if Finder cannot load anymore after you logon...

Graoully

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2023
When you boot from your usb bootable key you can normally access to Terminal (in the menu) maybe you could delete those files then ? Which ones are they ?
I’m creating a new Ventura installer usb key and will see if that reinstalling works..

Cunni

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2023
I have the same problem and I was waiting since Sunday.
If we enter the recovery mode (after cmd+s it will enter recovery mode) select utilities from the top menu bar and you’ll see the terminal.
I’m curious about what files should I delete. Any forum indicating those?
Please share.
I will try to delete them through the terminal in recovery mode.

Graoully

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2023
I’ll probably try do that same.

Did you post install the kexts on the 0.6.7?
No problems now?
Yes. In fact I installed Catalina on an USB HDD with recovery mode. Then I downloaded 0.6.7 to create a Ventura installer disk. Installed over my existing Ventura installation and no problems even no errors lol.. took me a few hours to do all of that but it was worth it !

Reactions: Cunni

Cunni

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2023
Yes. In fact I installed Catalina on an USB HDD with recovery mode. Then I downloaded 0.6.7 to create a Ventura installer disk. Installed over my existing Ventura installation and no problems even no errors lol.. took me a few hours to do all of that but it was worth it !
I did the same it solved the problem. I think I’ll save a USB pen with the installer for the future 😅

David_OpenCore_12_1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2023
just did mine as well and it worked (phew !) There were a lot of reboots during the process but I managed to log in and finder ran and everything was back to normal again. It does seem you can't downgrade after all. have not run the post install patches yet, too scared to. Thanks Graoully !

David_OpenCore_12_1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2023
P.S. I think it will be the same scenario next time - and to rebuild a usb stick with the latest version and Ventura for next time, one thing I noticed before the fix that worked was when I tried to boot from the older version (0.6.3) OC with Ventura installer to get to it's recovery, it did not allow me to recover from a backup as the existing HD was builds ahead and it threw up a warning to install the OS again which you couldn't on that build because it could not downgrade the existing HD build which was on 0.6.7... backups and recovery will be something to be very wary around OC.

lukanry

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2023
Installed 0.6.7 and stuck on login after password entry. Please can someone list simple step by step method. Stuck without access to all files

David_OpenCore_12_1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2023
Installed 0.6.7 and stuck on login after password entry. Please can someone list simple step by step method. Stuck without access to all files
You first need to build a new open core USB stick / Ventura Installer using the 0.6.7 builder running from another device to rescue your mac.......
Once built - boot from the USB stick and run the ventura installer - it will upgrade your existing ventura install overrating the corrupt files currently stopping you from logging in...
There will be many reboots towards the latter part of the process but this worked for 3 of us (see above) who had tried many things. Expect to take 3-5 hours to do end-to end - the ventura download when making the 0.6.7 usb bootable stick taking much time and Ventura installing taking much time.

Be patient, you can and will get it back - and this method worked for 3 of us.

Your first hurdle is to build a 0.6.7 installer usb stick from another mac - do you have access to another mac ? and when you do - you must select the version of the target machine's version/revision from the config list in the open core builder gui- this is important so you build the right build for the target machine..

lukanry

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2023
P.S. I think it will be the same scenario next time - and to rebuild a usb stick with the latest version and Ventura for next time, one thing I noticed before the fix that worked was when I tried to boot from the older version (0.6.3) OC with Ventura installer to get to it's recovery, it did not allow me to recover from a backup as the existing HD was builds ahead and it threw up a warning to install the OS again which you couldn't on that build because it could not downgrade the existing HD build which was on 0.6.7... backups and recovery will be something to be very wary around OC.
Tried to boot using old recovery stick and error because of downgrading. CMD S doesn't work as it still gives error on loading in safe mode.

lukanry

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2023
You first need to build a new open core USB stick / Ventura Installer using the 0.6.7 builder running from another device to rescue your mac.......
Once built - boot from the USB stick and run the ventura installer - it will upgrade your existing ventura install overrating the corrupt files currently stopping you from logging in...
There will be many reboots towards the latter part of the process but this worked for 3 of us (see above) who had tried many things. Expect to take 3-5 hours to do end-to end - the ventura download when making the 0.6.7 usb bootable stick taking much time and Ventura installing taking much time.

Be patient, you can and will get it back - and this method worked for 3 of us.

Your first hurdle is to build a 0.6.7 installer usb stick from another mac - do you have access to another mac ? and when you do - you must select the version of the target machine's version/revision from the config list in the open core builder gui- this is important so you build the right build for the target machine..
How do I get the machine version/revision if I can't boot into the existing machine. I think macos is 13.3.1 and opencore update that's caused this issue was 0.6.7. i think my Mac auto installed update and I updated to 0.6.7 from 0.6.5 later .

David_OpenCore_12_1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2023
Tried to boot using old recovery stick and error because of downgrading. CMD S doesn't work as it still gives error on loading in safe mode.
You need to create a new 0.6.7 bootable usb installer and use that - it's the only way that worked, and yes I did try booting safe mode when I was stuck as well, and no it didn't work for me (got stuck 50% preboot progress bar from what I remember and just hung there).

David_OpenCore_12_1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2023
How do I get the machine version/revision if I can't boot into the existing machine. I think macos is 13.3.1 and opencore update that's caused this issue was 0.6.7. i think my Mac auto installed update and I updated to 0.6.7 from 0.6.5 later .
you need to know the version of the mac - for instance mine is a 12,1 - Mid 2011 Mac....

Attachments

• mymac.jpg
    mymac.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 129

lukanry

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2023
you need to know the version of the mac - for instance mine is a 12,1 - Mid 2011 Mac....
Thanks for all your help.

Yes I'm trying to think how I can get this. I think it was the same model but can't be sure. Do let me know if u think I can get this somehow else. I can access recovery screen and shell

lukanry

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2023
Thanks for all your help.

Yes I'm trying to think how I can get this. I think it was the same model but can't be sure. Do let me know if u think I can get this somehow else. I can access recovery screen and shell
So checked my sr no on check coverage page of apple. Got the model number as late 2012.

Reactions: David_OpenCore_12_1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.