Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David_OpenCore_12_1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2023
Yes got it done.. thanks so much for your help David. It prompts me that I'm not updated to 13.4 but my boot is 0.6.7 and installed is 0.6.5. should I click update or just not mess with it further now?
Hi, I chose NOT to do the post install updates as that is what broke for me the previous time, however I did press the button and it said I was already up to date... so I have not run it as everything is working for me and I don't want to risk the pain of another 3-5 hours fixing it again if it breaks again.

AMacInAalborg

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2023
Hello everybody, yesterday I had an update on opencore and I did it normally, after the update and the restart of my MacBook pro (13inch 2014) I press my password and my MacBook stucks on logging screen (with the rolling thing) and I haven't access on my Mac and my files.
Now my problem is my files, I have precious files inside my MacBook and I don't know what to do, I have access on opencore boot screen and on log in screen until the password phase ( it's a simple 4 digit pin and it's correct)
Did anyone of you had tha same issue?
Do you know what to do?
Can I save my files?
Or can I save my Mac os without formatting my Mac again?

Thank you for your time and any help or idea will be very helpful..
P.S excuse me about my bad English, I'm a little bit rusty 😂

Here it's a photo with the log in stucked screen after pressing the right password.
Same problem here on my iMac 27 (2013) after last week, where I applied the OSX security update

Please update this post if anyone finds a solution without using 3-5 hours of reapplying Opencore from scratch 🙏

danvangundy

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2023
I’m having the exact same issue as OP. Followed all the step to boot from the USB but when I do so it tells me I don’t have enough storage space available and I obviously now can’t get in to clear up any space. Any ideas? At wits end here. TIA

abeko

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2023
Hello, I have a similar problem, my late 2013 macbook pro giving errors after the update. I created another usb drive but i have 15gb on my harddisk - so can't install... Is there a way that I can make more space during the installation process? I deleted a large folder with rm -rf via terminal but still it shows 15 gb. Do you think that creating another linux boot and deleting some files will help? I am somewhere close to rookie, thank you very much in advance :)

Mystical1

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2023
Thanks so much everyone! I had the same problem and your advice saved me!

I had to ensure that I chose settings in the open core patcher creation utility to select the model of my Mac as opposed to the Mac. I was creating the installer from.

I also had to choose a newer version of the operating system as 13.4.1 said that I was unable to downgrade, even though that was the same version of the operating system which I was using.

I had to use the 13.5 installer that just came out.

I booted from the disk and installed the Ventura update, and then it booted up OK even though it took a little while.

hippie-stereo

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2023
Here a MacBook Pro 2012 with MacOS 13.5 and the same happen after a update.
After backup my data with a other Mac in target mode I did the reinstall with the last patxher and it works good and the data is still here thanks all for the good tips :)

Luis André Ferreira

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2023
I have the same problem on my late 2013 iMac.
The problem is that I’m a noob at this stuff. Could someone be very kind and explain to me what do I have to do?
I don’t want to loose all my files on my iMac. So, a clean install is not an option to me… Thank you so much!!!!!

Luis André Ferreira

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2023
Here a MacBook Pro 2012 with MacOS 13.5 and the same happen after a update.
After backup my data with a other Mac in target mode I did the reinstall with the last patxher and it works good and the data is still here thanks all for the good tips :)
Hi!
I’m a newbie at this kind of stuff.
Could you be so kind and explain to me step by step what do I have to do?
I do t want to loose the data on my iMac 🥲

hippie-stereo

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2023
The problem is that I’m a noob at this stuff. Could someone be very kind and explain to me what do I have to do?
I don’t want to loose all my files on my iMac. So, a clean install is not an option to me… Thank you so much!!!!!
The error came when you update to ?
Mac os 13.5.1 ?

metalman1118

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2023
I have the exact same issue, was on MacOS Ventura 13.4 and OCLP 0.6.7 on a rMBP 13” 2015 but couldn’t log in anymore after updating to 0.6.8. A friend of mine is bringing his Mac over later today to help me make a bootable USB. Just to make sure I’m doing everything correctly, I plan on doing the following:

1) Use OCLP 0.6.8 to make a USB Ventura 13.5.1 installer for my Mac model
2) Reboot my Mac holding alt key, select install MacOS Ventura
3) Let the install run

Do I need to do anything else? Thanks.

0xdb

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2023
I have the exact same issue, was on MacOS Ventura 13.4 and OCLP 0.6.7 on a rMBP 13” 2015 but couldn’t log in anymore after updating to 0.6.8. A friend of mine is bringing his Mac over later today to help me make a bootable USB. Just to make sure I’m doing everything correctly, I plan on doing the following:

1) Use OCLP 0.6.8 to make a USB Ventura 13.5.1 installer for my Mac model
2) Reboot my Mac holding alt key, select install MacOS Ventura
3) Let the install run

Do I need to do anything else? Thanks.
Those exact steps worked for me, rMBP 13" late 2013.

Luis André Ferreira

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2023
Those exact steps worked for me, rMBP 13" late 2013.
Maybe I’ve done something wrong…
I installed oclp on another Mac and created an usb Monterey installer for my iMac model.
The I came up to this (see picture):
It says the volume can not be altered no an earlier version…
Any ideas?

Thank you!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

0xdb

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2023
Maybe I’ve done something wrong…
I installed oclp on another Mac and created an usb Monterey installer for my iMac model.
The I came up to this (see picture):
It says the volume can not be altered no an earlier version…
Any ideas?

Thank you!!
I think as someone already mentioned, you can only install newer macOS versions than the one already installed on your device. Did you/oclp download the latest Monterey installer? I'm using oclp with Ventura, so I'm not sure what Montorey versions are installed/installable at the moment ...

Luis André Ferreira

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2023
I think as someone already mentioned, you can only install newer macOS versions than the one already installed on your device. Did you/oclp download the latest Monterey installer? I'm using oclp with Ventura, so I'm not sure what Montorey versions are installed/installable at the moment ...
Thank you for your answer.
Meanwhile I solved the problem. I installed Sonoma beta version, and it worked!
After that, because Sonoma came with WiFi and Bluetooth issues, there is a special patch that’s solves that problem as well. There is a step by step video on YouTube explaining what to do for people who installed Sonoma beta.

avalon18

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
Hi guys,
I have the same issue - after update open core and roots, my Mac stuck on login. MacBook Pro 15 2016
I can pretty easy lose all data, just want want to achieve a clean installation of system
I have two question
1) Currently on Venture 13.2 + Opencore updated to newest from 0.6.5z
Can I go straight to recovery and choose to reinstall vanilla system on my Mac ?
2) Any option to make a bootable pendrive with Sonoma beta but on windows device ?
Thanks for help

aceaceace

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
Claremont, CA and Ames, IA
Infinite spinning beach ball on login screen after upgrading to OCLP from 0.68 to the latest newest version 1.0.1 Oct 5 2023. iMac 27" running OSX Ventura 13.4 I think the iMac is a mid-2010 but can't tell exactly since I can't login. Build and Install OpenCore worked fine and rebooted fine, problem occurred after rebooting after doing Post-Install Root Patch.

First time having an issue with OpenCore Legacy Patcher on 4 Mac systems in a year of upgrades.

At the same time successfully upgraded another system with OpenCore Legacy Patcher 1.0.1 and OSX Sanoma 14.0. Early 2011 Macbook pro 8,1 dual core i7 and 2 internal 2TB SSD drives from OCLP 0.6.8 to OCLP 1.0.1 then upgraded OSX from Ventura 13.4 to Sonoma 14.0 w zero issues and runs well. Everything seems to work including Bluetooth.

Has anyone been able to figure out the cause of the perpetual login spinning ball? From reading other posts, looks like a corrupt file maybe? Anyone figured out a simpler fix besides reinstalling Ventura? Do I have to go back to the last OCLP that was working or was this a fluke?

Dang, hate to spend the time wiping and installing but I love what OCLP gives us and I guess it is worth it. This iMAC system is my backup system, it is a copy of another system. I can wipe if no other option. I use Syncthing to keep the data files on another Mac in sync with my main system and use Teleport to share the keyboard and mouse across 3 macs.

Last edited:

pafricana

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2023
I was able to resolve it by following the steps at the link below. It took just a few minutes, after wasting several hours going down other paths. I needed a wired mouse to navigate the recovery menu and open the terminal. It then prompts for root patches ...

My problem was like ParisKts' screenshot above - normal boot, but then couldn't log in. I was able to recover my files remotely from another Mac, but that wouldn't have been necessary if I had used this link first.

- under the heading "Stuck on boot after root patching"

MrMMatricks

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2023
I was able to resolve it by following the steps at the link below. It took just a few minutes, after wasting several hours going down other paths. I needed a wired mouse to navigate the recovery menu and open the terminal. It then prompts for root patches ...

My problem was like ParisKts' screenshot above - normal boot, but then couldn't log in. I was able to recover my files remotely from another Mac, but that wouldn't have been necessary if I had used this link first.

- under the heading "Stuck on boot after root patching"
Hello!

Following the steps at the link I was able to get back into macOS as well. But of course there were no root patches installed.

How did you install them without breaking the system again? No matter what open core patcher I download it's always broken after installing the root patches. Tried it with 0.6.8 and 0.6.7

Thanks!

pafricana

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2023
Hello!

Following the steps at the link I was able to get back into macOS as well. But of course there were no root patches installed.

How did you install them without breaking the system again? No matter what open core patcher I download it's always broken after installing the root patches. Tried it with 0.6.8 and 0.6.7

Thanks!
I didn't install them. From the info I found, they're only necessary if you have an older machine that's missing some functionality.

mr544

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023
Hello everybody, yesterday I had an update on opencore and I did it normally, after the update and the restart of my MacBook pro (13inch 2014) I press my password and my MacBook stucks on logging screen (with the rolling thing) and I haven't access on my Mac and my files.

MacBook Pro 11,3 (15" 2014). Went from 0.6.7 to 1.1.0 after being prompted for upgrade. I believe it was running 13.4 but honestly don't pay attention: It just worked prior to attempting the upgrade. I have two states of being with this issue. In State 1, normal resolution but login spins forever. In State 2, resolution is wildly large, native display is not recognized, and there is no option to change the resolution. External monitors that had been working in 0.6.7 no longer work.

I attempted to follow the instructions for booting into safe mode and removing the kexts and the best I can seem to do is get into the system with the huge resolution and no external monitors. I tried reverting to 0.6.7 again but there seems to be a conflict between 0.6.7 and 1.1.0. Tried removing dortania from /Library/Application Support so that 0.6.7 would take over but there appears to be something still leftover that causes the resolution issue.

It seems like if I could get a clean EFI boot and not have the graphics switch to *whatever* they're doing, then it would be fine again. What I'd like to do is revert whatever 1.1.0 did and just get back to the previous stable state at 0.6.7. Does that path exist without reinstalling? Can I extract something from the opencore app or app package and force overwrite of the buggy drivers/configuration?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I would suggest it is time to reinstall your macOS system. I suspect that some of your system files are "wacked out), and fixing from ONLY the OCLP files is unlikely to help.
If you are, in fact, running some version of Ventura (macOS 13), the current version is 13.6.2.
If your MBPro can't boot completely, you will probably need another Mac for this:
Download that latest version of the installer. Make a bootable USB installer with that installer app. Install the OCLP boot EFI (using the OCLP 1.2 app) adding the EFI to your bootable USB.
Boot your MBPro to your Ventura installer, and reinstall the system.
Don't forget to choose the EFI partition on the Option Boot screen first (press enter after choosing the EFI), THEN click on the installer drive, pressing enter to accept THAT. Then continue with a reinstall/update of Ventura.
That will assure that your system install is up-to-date, and that SHOULD get you booted again.
First, run the OCLP 1.2 app, and reload the Post-Install Root Patch first. Reboot.
THEN, run the OCLP 1.2 "Build and Install OpenCore" --- You will reboot again, while holding the Option key.
When you get the boot picker screen, eject your installer drive. Click on the EFI volume, press enter, then click your actual system boot drive, whatever it is, and press enter again. should boot successfully to your system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.