Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b3come

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2017
Hello,

I am new to this forum and do not know if I am writing at the right place. Sorry if I'm not.

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out the stylus to use on an Ipad. I know the Apple pencil exists but I would like to see if there's alternatives.

I am looking for a stylus that will allow to me to highlight and take notes on PDFs file. I don't even know if that's possible but I guess it is using some kind of app like Evernote or PDF expert. Basically, I would want to be able to highlight and scribble freely without having to use the "add text" or "highlight" functions of the app.

Sorry if I'm not being too clear. Thanks for your help.

B3come :)

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I think you'd really like the Apple Pencil. GoodNotes is a wonderful app for doing what you want.

b3come

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2017
I think you'd really like the Apple Pencil. GoodNotes is a wonderful app for doing what you want.
Hi!! thanks for the reply! would the Goodnote app allow me to save the file back to pdf (ie. if i need to send it to someone)

:)

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Yes! GoodNotes is a very handy app. You can import graphics and pdfs, annotate them, and then export with or without annotations to other apps, as images, and as pdfs. I have nothing but praise for it. In fact, I have mine synced with iCloud and they have a Mac app that offers the same features. So everything you do can stay in sync from your iPhone to your iPad to your Mac.

b3come

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2017
Yes! GoodNotes is a very handy app. You can import graphics and pdfs, annotate them, and then export with or without annotations to other apps, as images, and as pdfs. I have nothing but praise for it. In fact, I have mine synced with iCloud and they have a Mac app that offers the same features. So everything you do can stay in sync from your iPhone to your iPad to your Mac.

Great!! That sounds awesome! Another question. will i need to sync my Apple Pencil with the app.. So i can write on it and stuff. I just dont want to have to highlight or write using the app functions. I basically want to work on my ipad as I would with printed paper and pens

Thank you

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
You don't mention what iPad you have... based on your mention of the Pencil, I assume it is an iPad Pro. If it is, then the Apple Pencil is THE choice.

But I'll repost my suggestions for non-Pro iPads (just in case)...

I have a Mini 4 (as well as a 12.9 iPad Pro + Apple Pencil) and I use the following styli on my Mini 4:

DotPen by Dot-Tec. Looks like IOGEAR has the identical one (different branding) for nearly half the price of the DotPen

Adonit Jot Classic - the clear disc allows for more precise usage.

Bargains Depot rubber-tipped stylus - although not a fine point, the rubber tips on this are smaller than the typical rubber tipped stylus.

Nothing beats the Apple Pencil on the iPad Pro, but I have had great success using the DotPen on my Mini 4 (and Air 2 before that).

Reactions: bensisko
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.