Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbbc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
So my various multifunction laser printers (MFPs) have worked printing-wise out of the box with macOS Big Sur on my Apple silicon M1 machine, but the built-in scanners have not. I have been looking at solutions like updated Mac specific drivers (that don't exist) or the possibility of using third-party stuff like Linux's sane-airscan, with no success. Printer manufacturers state that scanning with AirPrint is possible, but I haven't had any luck with my various older Bonjour MFPs.

I finally made the plunge and shelled out $99 USD for a Canon imageCLASS MF232w from Walmart USA. Printing and more importantly, scanning, is working great via Image Capture under macOS 11.2.3 . I did not have to install or download any additional drivers for the laser printer nor the built-in scanner, everything just worked over 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi by adding it in Printers & Scanners. Walmart's inventory of printers are always out of stock with COVID, but I've seen this model trickle in in-store (not online) consistently every month. Usually the stores get just one, so if you see it, you better jump on it and decide later whether to return it. The only thing I'm missing is duplex printing. I hate spending money on a new device, but it could take ages trying to find a hack to get a functioning scanner. Generic toner is available with a working toner chip / smart chip. Walmart also has a couple $35 - $44 Canon inkjets with built-in scanners (also out of stock most of the time) that should work with Big Sur too, but the price difference isn't worth it in my opinion.

Canon imageCLASS MF232w Wireless Monochrome Laser Printer with WiFi Direct

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.