Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tony01

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2019
I've just bought my first MBP13 and I'm about to return it because it becomes really hot on the top and bottom and I can barely keep it on my legs. If I try to push any sustained workload it will instantly it 100C and throttle down.

Yesterday I decided to play a game (I play league of legends sometimes) with low graphic and resolution and this thing throttled down to 1Ghz.

Is there any other Windows laptop, portable and nice as this one, that will not overheat like crazy? I need a 13-14 inch laptop

Thanks in advance

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Ever heard of Asus ProArt StudioBook Pro? It is a beast.

But depending on your budget (and my budget), I can only go up to Asus ROG.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
It all depends on what you do with your laptop. Every laptop will get hot when pushed.

X1 Carbon stays relatively cool to the touch, it won't throttle like crazy, but if pushed for sustained amount of time, it will get hot.

Surface Book 13,5 comes to mind. Maybe try with that one, since it comes with dgpu and is really powerful for its size.

Tony01

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2019
It all depends on what you do with your laptop. Every laptop will get hot when pushed.

X1 Carbon stays relatively cool to the touch, it won't throttle like crazy, but if pushed for sustained amount of time, it will get hot.

Surface Book 13,5 comes to mind. Maybe try with that one, since it comes with dgpu and is really powerful for its size.
The Surface Book is crazy expensive, more than my current MBP.
I'll check some reviews of the X1 carbon

Currenlty while browsing PDF with acrobat reader CPU temps go up to 70C which doesn't sound normal for me :(

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
The Surface Book is crazy expensive, more than my current MBP.
I'll check some reviews of the X1 carbon

Currenlty while browsing PDF with acrobat reader CPU temps go up to 70C which doesn't sound normal for me :(

It's really expensive, that is true.
But I've used SB2 15" for almost 2 weeks. It was dead silent most of the time. CPU and GPU are in different sections, so that really helps with cooling.

If you can purchase one with those 14/30 day returns, buy one. Use it. If you don't like it, return it.
X1C is a great device, but SB will be more silent and powerful.

If you go with X1C, I would stick with FHD screen. 4K is a complete overkill, and it will be taxing to your system and battery.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
All laptops with Intel CPUs get hot, 45w CPUs are especially bad.

I use a Lenovo P53 now and can compare it to the late 2019 15" MBP I had before.

• The MacBook hit 100° almost immediately if you did something with it. Thats how Apple configures these things. It also got insanely hot to the touch. Way too hot for my liking
  • The P53 works very different
    • the fans spin up (depending on the performance setting) way earlier
    • around 80° seems to be what Lenovo decided to be a limit for CPU temperature
    • the top of the P53 gets warm, but that's it. Not hot. The bottom is warmer, but still nowhere near as hot as the Mac
I do prefer the fan noise of the MacBook though, the Thinkpad has a higher pitch which I don't like.

btw: I love all these ports on the Thinkpads. Yesterday I just plugged an ethernet cable into it. Without dongles. hallelujah

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If heat is a concern, then I would suggest going for a gaming laptop or workstation laptop. Check Dell Precision series or HP Z-book series.

Reactions: duanepatrick

Tony01

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2019
All laptops with Intel CPUs get hot, 45w CPUs are especially bad.

I use a Lenovo P53 now and can compare it to the late 2019 15" MBP I had before.

• The MacBook hit 100° almost immediately if you did something with it. Thats how Apple configures these things. It also got insanely hot to the touch. Way too hot for my liking
  • The P53 works very different
    • the fans spin up (depending on the performance setting) way earlier
    • around 80° seems to be what Lenovo decided to be a limit for CPU temperature
    • the top of the P53 gets warm, but that's it. Not hot. The bottom is warmer, but still nowhere near as hot as the Mac
I do prefer the fan noise of the MacBook though, the Thinkpad has a higher pitch which I don't like.

btw: I love all these ports on the Thinkpads. Yesterday I just plugged an ethernet cable into it. Without dongles. hallelujah
I'm thinking about getting a T14 or waiting for ARM macs. If cooled properly, a mb air will be fine for me :)

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I would look for the new Ryzen machines. They should run cooler if properly built and have better performance than most Intel based laptops.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
This one is a great buy:

Cheap, powerful, well built. We have on in our office. It's amazing what you can purchase these days for not so much money. It's really light and has great thermals. Way more powerful than any 13" MBP.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Too bad it took AMD so long to get these machine out into the wild. This one has an estimated delivery date of mid October :(

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Too bad it took AMD so long to get these machine out into the wild. This one has an estimated delivery date of mid October :(

It's a brand new device from a small OEM, and with all that, they are selling them like crazy.
We got ours in 4 days, and for the next batch we have to wait 3-4 weeks.

I will use one for a week at least. I'm really curious how it does with Ubuntu, especially because it comes with it by default.
But I already know I won't be using one, since it doesn't come with TB3, and I tend to use thunderbolt a lot.

But that CPU+GPU combo is a heaven for Linux users...

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
The lack of TB 3 is the biggest downside for me, too. But this should be fixed with USB 4, right? I hope old TB3 devices will keep working with these...

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
The lack of TB 3 is the biggest downside for me, too. But this should be fixed with USB 4, right? I hope old TB3 devices will keep working with these...

USB4 will fix those issues for sure. And yes, USB 4 will work with TB3.
That's the main reason I won't be changing my laptop any time soon. My ideal laptop would be X1E, but with 16:10 screen, AMD Ryzen and USB4.

Also, I'm using X1E 2nd gen at the moment, so it's not like I'm anxious to change it any time soon. I would really like to stick with Lenovo. No issues at all, probably the best laptop I have ever owned.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
That's good to know, thanks! My P53 will be with me for a while now, beside the absolutely atrocious battery life, I'm very happy with it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This one is a great buy:

Cheap, powerful, well built. We have on in our office. It's amazing what you can purchase these days for not so much money. It's really light and has great thermals. Way more powerful than any 13" MBP.
Looks to be a nice cheap computer but for me, the company not being US based is a show stopper - just from a support perspective.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
This one is a great buy:

Hi, reviving an old thread here, hope that's ok.

I found out about this company and laptop very recently when looking for a replacement for my 15 inch MBP. I'm determined to not let Apple fleece me for their laptops any more (the one I'd consider would cost me over 4000 Euros all in.... not going to happen).
The Pulse 15 seems like the most interesting candidate I found. German company is also a plus in my case since I am local.

Ideally I'd like to know what the keyboard feels like compared to the MBP chiclet style of old (pre 2016 butterfly model). Also how smooth does the trackpad work under Linux and can you use multi touch well on it without hiccups?

Is the case stable and does not creak? And how much of a fingerprint magnet can I expect the top cover to be?

I have some recent experience with a low end HP laptop running Ubuntu hence those questions. :D The OS seemed to work really well on it despite the machine being mainly Windows-targeted though. Which was a very positive surprise.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
I've had an X1 Carbon 7th gen for two years, and I'm about to sell it. I would never recommend one - runs so hot you could fry an egg off it, and has utterly diabolical battery life.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Hi, reviving an old thread here, hope that's ok.

I found out about this company and laptop very recently when looking for a replacement for my 15 inch MBP. I'm determined to not let Apple fleece me for their laptops any more (the one I'd consider would cost me over 4000 Euros all in.... not going to happen).
The Pulse 15 seems like the most interesting candidate I found. German company is also a plus in my case since I am local.

Ideally I'd like to know what the keyboard feels like compared to the MBP chiclet style of old (pre 2016 butterfly model). Also how smooth does the trackpad work under Linux and can you use multi touch well on it without hiccups?

Is the case stable and does not creak? And how much of a fingerprint magnet can I expect the top cover to be?

I have some recent experience with a low end HP laptop running Ubuntu hence those questions. :D The OS seemed to work really well on it despite the machine being mainly Windows-targeted though. Which was a very positive surprise.

Keyboard is great. To me even better than MBP 2015 for example.
Trackpad on default is really bad. No gestures at all. Except 2 finger scroll.

But that is an easy fix. Not even one linux distro comes with trackpad gestures preinstalled. But there is an easy fix for that with 3rd party (open source) software.

Elementary OS 6.0 will come with preinstalled gestures, and those work great! They even have smooth animations like MacOS. Elementary 6.0 should come out soon, so you can easily install those same gestures on any other distro so there won't be any need to 'make your own'.

Reactions: th0masp

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Keyboard is great. To me even better than MBP 2015 for example.
Trackpad on default is really bad. No gestures at all. Except 2 finger scroll.

But that is an easy fix. Not even one linux distro comes with trackpad gestures preinstalled. But there is an easy fix for that with 3rd party (open source) software.

Elementary OS 6.0 will come with preinstalled gestures, and those work great! They even have smooth animations like MacOS. Elementary 6.0 should come out soon, so you can easily install those same gestures on any other distro so there won't be any need to 'make your own'.

Thanks for the feedback, sounds great so far!

Re: trackpad - apart from gestures what does it feel like under the finger? Is it smooth like an MBP's? I've tried too many that seemed to have a high resistance to the finger tip and did not pick up taps for clicking so clearly. For example the HP one I mentioned earlier did seem to have trouble differentiating between single and double taps for LMB/RMB clicks.
Unless that was just the driver - failed to investigate which one was in use.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Another question: what kind of video output resolutions does the Ryzen 7 4800 iGPU manage when connected to external screens? I'm using ultra wide monitors at 3840 x 1600 on my computers. Am I correct in assuming that a single external display like that hooked up is no problem for the chip (lower than 4K res)?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Thanks for the feedback, sounds great so far!

Re: trackpad - apart from gestures what does it feel like under the finger? Is it smooth like an MBP's? I've tried too many that seemed to have a high resistance to the finger tip and did not pick up taps for clicking so clearly. For example the HP one I mentioned earlier did seem to have trouble differentiating between single and double taps for LMB/RMB clicks.
Unless that was just the driver - failed to investigate which one was in use.

I really can't remember that one. I don't own that laptop, just used it for a few hours.
But I'm willing to check it out for you when I get back to my town. I believe we still have 2-3 of those in office.

Another question: what kind of video output resolutions does the Ryzen 7 4800 iGPU manage when connected to external screens? I'm using ultra wide monitors at 3840 x 1600 on my computers. Am I correct in assuming that a single external display like that hooked up is no problem for the chip (lower than 4K res)?

Even intel iGPU can handle that without problems. AMD iGPU is more powerful, so I don't see why ultrawide would be an issue.

Reactions: th0masp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.