Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
I really can't remember that one. I don't own that laptop, just used it for a few hours.
But I'm willing to check it out for you when I get back to my town. I believe we still have 2-3 of those in office.

Even intel iGPU can handle that without problems. AMD iGPU is more powerful, so I don't see why ultrawide would be an issue.

That would be great, thanks!

And as for the iGPU - I'm not doubting the hardware, just no clue what the driver quality may be like, especially for rather new tech like this. I filed an inquiry with the Tuxedo support about this now.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
It all depends on what you do with your laptop. Every laptop will get hot when pushed.

X1 Carbon stays relatively cool to the touch, it won't throttle like crazy, but if pushed for sustained amount of time, it will get hot.

Surface Book 13,5 comes to mind. Maybe try with that one, since it comes with dgpu and is really powerful for its size.
I second the X1 Carbon. I just picked one up at Costco for $899 just to see if it was something I was missing out on vs. the Apple ecosystem. Surprisingly, it's a pretty decent little machine. Fast, quiet, with nearly zero heat seeping out of it. I haven't heard the fan come on one single time. But the keyboard is the best part. I like the keyboard on my M1 Air, but the keyboard on this X1 is beyond fantastic. It makes you want to type and type and type and never stop. I was originally going to return the X1, but now I'm leaning towards keeping it and dumping the Air. Definitely give the X1 a try if you can. It's a nice machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.