Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
I hope apple cuts it off real soon. It's nothing but DECEPTION for me to text someone and think I am texting an apple user only to see its an Android phone with this app.
Truly!! I hope Apple makes the hard but BRAVE decision to just ban texting altogether. Don't have an iPhone?? I don't need your filth in my life! Don't tarnish my Tim Cook-blessed device with your trashy Android-tainted SMS. iMessage or NoMessage.

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
But ignore that. What you’re proposing is that you think it’s completely legitimate for a messaging company to have complete access to everything you store in iCloud. That’s crazy.
Yes, it’s completely legitimate for an entity, be a person or company, to have complete access to a personal account that the owner gives them the password to. It’s probably a bad idea on the user's part, but it’s completely legitimate.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I'm not buying an Android just for sideloading lmao. My phone isn't even two years old why would I burn a lot of cash on a new one just to have the ability to install apps outside of an app store, something that iOS really should have?
I don’t want rogue apps snooping on my location data, financial apps, texts, images, videos and any other stuff. I love the freedom to load what ever app on mac, but I don’t have sensitive personal information on Mac. Apple isn’t perfect but does a pretty good job as gate keeper.
Like I said, you want side loading, Android already provides the option. I don’t want iPhone becoming another android phone in wild Wild West.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
So you’re guessing. I posted the SLAs. TL;DR - None of them allow you to sub-license acesss for commercial reasons.

But ignore that. What you’re proposing is that you think it’s completely legitimate for a messaging company to have complete access to everything you store in iCloud. That’s crazy.

That’s the kind of company you’d assume did their legal homework?
I haven’t said a thing about whether I think it’s completely legitimate. If you’d like to know, I wouldn’t surrender my Apple ID credentials to this company if they paid me.

I initially responded to your assertion that this is “obviously illegal,” which was and still is plainly false.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That sounds like a horrible idea.
Yeah, that was why I was kind of hesistant on doing it and some features were missing as well. But some people are willing to take that chance given the opportunity to actually leave the iPhone for Android.

Reactions: IG88

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Y’all seem to be missing the fact that you can create a burner  ID if you don’t feel comfortable using your main one.

You create a vCard with the app which you send along to your contacts so they know it’s you and they just add that  id to your contact. Not that hard.

Romain_H

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
I hope apple cuts it off real soon. It's nothing but DECEPTION for me to text someone and think I am texting an apple user only to see its an Android phone with this app.
Yeah.
I also ask communication partners what phone they use. Always, coz its important to me. 🙄

Reactions: brucemr

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
I know I am taking chances with using Beeper, but Sunbird looks legitimately sketchy.
I'm really enjoying Beeper. I don't ever send anything through iMessage that's that personal or confidential and I keep things clean on my phones in the case my kids use them and decide to snoop lol. I'll monitor my Apple ID activity but I'm not overly concerned at this point. It really is a huge step up from AirMessage. I haven't tried Blue Bubbles yet and still aim to, I just have to find the time to sit down and get it set up.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Y’all seem to be missing the fact that you can create a burner  ID if you don’t feel comfortable using your main one.

You create a vCard with the app which you send along to your contacts so they know it’s you and they just add that  id to your contact. Not that hard.
Not to mention with 2FA, the company can't actually access your Apple account willy nilly.

Reactions: aggie99

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I'm going to venture to say that Sunbird has consulted with legal counsel on the specifics of their setup to ensure that it's within the bounds of the macOS EULA.

@tbayrgs beat me to the punch, but services have existed for a number of years to allow users to do this with their own Mac hardware — and again, this is just glorified file syncing — and macOS’s license also allows for it to run in virtualized environments, so…
After reading the Privacy & Security page on their website, it appears this whole discussion of how it may be legal because of a "Mac in the Middle" is irrelevant.

The company claims that the messages are E2E encrypted and no messaging data is stored on their servers. So no Mac.

So unless Apple has secretly released a public API for iMessage, then we're back to unauthorized computer access. Or fraud if they're lying.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
After reading the Privacy & Security page on their website, it appears this whole discussion of how it may be legal because of a "Mac in the Middle" is irrelevant.

The company claims that the messages are E2E encrypted and no messaging data is stored on their servers. So no Mac.

So unless Apple has secretly released a public API for iMessage, then we're back to unauthorized computer access. Or fraud if they're lying.
So you’re guessing. Got it.

Reactions: dk001

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
their Servers must be pretending to be Apple devices. Apple just need to ban their IP’s or block the device id’s to kill this service. As it’s a free app it can be used by spammers etc to send iMessages en’masse.

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022

End-to-end Encryption

Sunbird uses end-to-end encryption to ensure that messages are private and secure. This means that messages are encrypted on the user's device and can only be decrypted by the intended recipient’s account. The encryption process is automatic and requires no additional input from the user, making it simple and seamless. With end-to-end encryption, Sunbird ensures that only the intended recipient can read messages, and that even if a third party were to intercept them, they would be unable to decipher the contents.

IMO, this is dubiously worded

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Umm... I don't think Google could of done this exactly. Reason why Sunbird and Beeper have the luxury of creating this kind of solution.. they are relatively small company. Apple has little reason to explore legal action against them as @BaldiMac mentioned.

Heck, look at what Microsoft is doing with iMessage on Windows... they are implementing the feature via bluetooth. Companies like Google and Microsoft know the ramifications for doing what Sunbird and Beeper is doing, therefore its no point going down that path.

Not getting the illegality comment. How exactly is this illegal?
This has been in test since last year. So far all of the claims listed have worked.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Not getting the illegality comment. How exactly is this illegal?
This has been in test since last year. So far all of the claims listed have worked.
Well, I find it very strange that iMessage which is tied to Apple Hardware and there's no public API to which users can access to it... yet both companies are attempting to make money off of it.

And in addition to that, Apple refuse to make iMessage cross platform and you think they will sit idle by while another company do it. If there was no issue with this process, you don't think Google would have done this already (instead of campaigning to Apple against using SMS)? Have it implemented into their Google Message app along with RCS.

Reactions: iJest and dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.