Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Well, I find it very strange that iMessage which is tied to Apple Hardware and there's no public API to which users can access to it... yet both companies are attempting to make money off of it.

And in addition to that, Apple refuse to make iMessage cross platform and you think they will sit idle by while another company do it. If there was no issue with this process, you don't think Google would have done this already (instead of campaigning to Apple against using SMS)? Have it implemented into their Google Message app along with RCS.

I do find it odd that Google has not previously done or tried this. Apple may not currently have a public API however they do have Apple (private) API for iMessage functions. Wonder if that plays into any of the EU’s new rules … 🤔
I do like that it isn’t only iMessage.
What I am not seeing is what exactly is illegal. Wonder if Apple will do anything.
Wonder if someone will try to buy it?
Interesting times….

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Well, I find it very strange that iMessage which is tied to Apple Hardware and there's no public API to which users can access to it... yet both companies are attempting to make money off of it.

And in addition to that, Apple refuse to make iMessage cross platform and you think they will sit idle by while another company do it. If there was no issue with this process, you don't think Google would have done this already (instead of campaigning to Apple against using SMS)? Have it implemented into their Google Message app along with RCS.
Honestly, if their solution is a ****-ton of Mac desktops all logged in with iMessage user accounts, then Apple may not be able to do much. Now, whether that setup in any way makes sense?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Honestly, if their solution is a ****-ton of Mac desktops all logged in with iMessage user accounts, then Apple may not be able to do much. Now, whether that setup in any way makes sense?
Their website claims that the messages are end to end encrypted, so that would imply no Macs in the middle.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Their website claims that the messages are end to end encrypted, so that would imply no Macs in the middle.
Why is that implied? I am logged into iMessage in my Mac and my messages are end-to-end encrypted. If I’m logged into a Mac halfway around the world with my Apple ID, they’d still be end-to-end encrypted.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Why is that implied? I am logged into iMessage in my Mac and my messages are end-to-end encrypted. If I’m logged into a Mac halfway around the world with my Apple ID, they’d still be end-to-end encrypted.
Because the Android device running Sunbird is an endpoint, not the Mac. You can't truthfully say something is end to end encrypted if it is decrypted somewhere between the endpoints. FWIW, the Sunbird website specifically says that outgoing messages are encrypted on your device.

skriefal

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
Utah, USA
But would they need to decrypt any of the messages in the cloud-hosted middleware (virtual Mac, or whatever)? If we assume that they can obtain the public key, and can push that public key through to the Sunbird app on the user's phone, then the Sunbird app can use that public key to encrypt any messages that it sends. And the cloud-hosted middleware may be able to push that encrypted message to Apple as-is without a decryption step. And it would be unable to decrypt those messages in the middle, even if it wished to do so.

For messages received by the phone, the cloud-hosted middleware could push that encrypted message through to the Sunbird app on the phone as-is (no decryption in the middle). Where the app could decrypt it using the public key. The middleware service could decrypt these messages - but would not need to do so.

This does make some assumptions about the ability of the middleware to obtain the public key and push it to the Sunbird app. And on the low-level behavior of Apple's iMessage API. But it may be possible.

Reactions: BaldiMac

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
But would they need to decrypt any of the messages in the cloud-hosted middleware (virtual Mac, or whatever)? If we assume that they can obtain the public key, and can push that public key through to the Sunbird app on the user's phone, then the Sunbird app can use that public key to encrypt any messages that it sends. And the cloud-hosted middleware may be able to push that encrypted message to Apple as-is without a decryption step. And it would be unable to decrypt those messages in the middle, even if it wished to do so.

For messages received by the phone, the cloud-hosted middleware could push that encrypted message through to the Sunbird app on the phone as-is (no decryption in the middle). Where the app could decrypt it using the public key. The middleware service could decrypt these messages - but would not need to do so.

This does make some assumptions about the ability of the middleware to obtain the public key and push it to the Sunbird app. And on the low-level behavior of Apple's iMessage API. But it may be possible.
I think you confused public and private keys at times in that description, but otherwise I think it is the best guess as to what they are doing. Presumably, they use your Apple ID to access your keychain (!!!) to obtain your private key and any other required authentication files and copy them to your Android device. Then they've reverse engineered iMessage APIs to hack into the iMessage servers to obtain the public key of the user that you want to communicate with, encrypt the message locally, and then send the message through Apple's servers.

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
It's also worth noting that while sending and receiving messages on iMessage is E2EE, the messages that are stored in iCloud are not. They are encrypted, but Apple also holds the keys. When you 'Enable Messages in iCloud', those are retrieved from iCloud to enable them to sync to all your devices, and are 'encrypted in transit' but we know that Apple can provide those messages to authorities if requested (unless you have ADP enabled).

It may well be that Sunbird is accessing your messages via that means somehow as an intermediary and is then sending and receiving messages to the Android app that way.

If only they weren't so intentionally opaque.

Reactions: drinkingtea

skriefal

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
Utah, USA
I think you confused public and private keys at times in that description,
Quite possible! As an aging software developer who mostly lives in the back end of a legacy multi-tier enterprise application suite, my thoughts of public/private keys tends to be colored by TLS handshakes and other 'basic' client/server scenarios. Which may not always be directly applicable to this new-world "cloudy" future. :)

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I hope apple cuts it off real soon. It's nothing but DECEPTION for me to text someone and think I am texting an apple user only to see its an Android phone with this app.
I’m not so sure about deception vs the complete blind trust given by users to just freely give up their Apple ID and password.

I hope those that did did NOT have:
Apple Notes,
files data,
iOS keychain passwords,
Or any other sensitive private data associated with the same credentials just entered into ANY of these services without fully checking them out. I’m f not you know what they say about a fools errand?

Personally I keep feeling iMessage will end up just like BBM. And for those of you saying bay or I’m crazy etc … BBM had a lot of faithful fans, some similar functionality yet many not available but all the same it was NOT compatible on any other platform until it’s decline in user base and the spam began to flourish. Little too late. Non standard.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Personally I keep feeling iMessage will end up just like BBM. And for those of you saying bay or I’m crazy etc … BBM had a lot of faithful fans, some similar functionality yet many not available but all the same it was NOT compatible on any other platform until it’s decline in user base and the spam began to flourish. Little too late. Non standard.
I understand iMessage usage is primarily in the US but the scale of users vs. BBM isn’t comparable. BBM died with Blackberry hardware usage. iMessage isn’t going anywhere as long as the iPhone is predominant smartphone in the US.

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
My Daughter has an iPhone and she has never complained about texts, pics or video I send her....a blue text or red, orange or whatever color it does....so I'm not sure why this is needed?

Last edited:

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
Wow, that's absolutely horrible. I just received my Pixel 8 Pro and am using Beeper, works flawlessly and seems fairly trustworthy. Glad I decided to not try Sunbird.
How do you get beeper? I joined the waitlist and never got the invitation

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
How do you get beeper? I joined the waitlist and never got the invitation
Looking at my history I paid the early access fee of $100 back in early 2022. Probably wasn't worth it but I got really excited about it. Prior to now the last time I used it was May of this year I think. It's come a long way. Typing indicators work, even Android Auto works which is a game changer.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Wow, that's absolutely horrible. I just received my Pixel 8 Pro and am using Beeper, works flawlessly and seems fairly trustworthy. Glad I decided to not try Sunbird.
My understanding, Beeper and Sunbird are using the same methods to interact with your iMessage account. You have to login with your iCloud account on some remote server. No thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
My understanding, Beeper and Sunbird are using the same methods to interact with your iMessage account. You have to login with your iCloud account on some remote server. No thanks.
Not sure. Haven't heard of any reported issues so far. I don't have the energy to set up Blue bubbles locally on my PC, I'll probably do it over the long weekend. That's preferable obviously.

Last edited:

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
My Daughter has an iPhone and she has never complained about texts, pics or video I send her....a blue text or red, orange or whatever color it does....so I'm not sure why this is needed?
It’s not a big deal. For most, people just use the right tool for the right job (using social media or other tools if a higher quality video or pic is needed.Psychologically, though, it IS a thing with a specific vocal set of folks (just like glossy screens are a thing for a specific vocal set of folks, or odd numbers are a thing for another specific set of folks) and just because it’s psychological, doesn’t make it any less a THING. Those folks that are bothered by it are truly bothered by it. But, that means a company has the option of doing anything about it. For example, Apple’s volume controls include “odd” increments, but they don’t display an actual number. But, most folks really just aren’t bothered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.