Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dickiedunn

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2019
If you want to risk $15, get the TP link adapter I posted earlier. I have one and it also works fine for me.
Thanks, yeah that would probably work. But this dock only has one USB C port on it and I’d hate to tie it up for ethernet, especially when it already has an Ethernet port that’s supposed to support higher speeds. You had mentioned there was a Realtek driver that might be faster? Were you ever able to try that out? My dock, like yours, is using the apple driver you mentioned.

dickiedunn

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2019
Fair enough, good work around. It just sucks having to use up limited USB ports and buy extra dongles when the dock has what should be a perfectly usable ethernet port right on the back! I‘m not clever enough to figure out how to update the driver, etc…

dickiedunn

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2019
When you do the ethernet speed test, do you have anything else connected (display, etc) to the dock?
Yes, an Apple Studio Display. But that's not the issue. I'm getting 1 Gbps speeds through the dock with the display connected using an Apple Ethernet dongle connected to the TB3 port. It's something to do with the ethernet port on the dock.

dickiedunn

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2019
Which TB controller is reported?
I'm not sure what you mean by controller, but the ethernet port on the dock says:

Vendor Name: Realtek
Driver: com.apple.DriverKit.AppleUserECM

When I connect through the faster Apple Ethernet Dongle-->TB3 it says:
Driver: com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5701Ethernet

I'm still thinking there is something up with the driver on the dock, but am not clever enough to know how to update it.

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
I'm getting 1 Gbps speeds through the dock with the display connected using an Apple Ethernet dongle connected to the TB3 port.
It might have something to do with which PCIe lanes are used for ethernet and the display. As I understand it, two lanes are used by the DP and the other two lanes by the TB DP tunnel. So, it seems to me that the ethernet must be sharing one of the lanes with either the DP or TB DP tunnel. I went back and reviewed the thread and it appears you are running a dual monitor setup consisting of an Apple Cinema Display via the dock's DisplayPort and an Apple Studio Display via the dock's TB3 port? Is that correct?

If the controller shares the same lane bandwidth with ethernet and the display, you might see a slow down on the ethernet port when a display is connected. If you have another port on your computer to connect a display to and you can disconnect the Studio Display from the dock and test the ethernet port that might be helpful.

I'm not sure what you mean by controller,
System Information should let you display the Vendor and Device names for the Thunderbolt controller in the dock.
Screen Shot 2023-03-18 at 2.35.53 PM.png

dickiedunn

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2019
I really appreciate your help, but no, I don't think it has anything to do with the lanes. I just hooked up the ethernet to the dock and the dock to my M2 MBA with nothing else attached. No displays other than the laptop. Same speed. The problem appears to be with the Ethernet Jack on the Dock and I suspect the only possible fix would be a firmware update or it's just a cheap ethernet jack that doesn't really support 1 Gbps. FYI, I'm not running two monitors ever on this setup. I can't seem to find a way to get that to work. I believe the M2 MBA only supports 1 monitor.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
What you might consider going is purchasing a network diagnostic tool. I have one from Extech, there are many other brands. They are dead handy for checking your cables for problems. You can pick up a good one for under $100 bucks.

JTK Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
I hope I’m in the right thread. I've run out of patience with endless web- and thread-searches finding a "just right" hub. Everything either does too much or too little for what I need, which is:
  • min. 67W host charging (pass-through charging is fine, I can bring my own charger)
  • single HDMI port, min. 4K 60Hz
  • Gigabit (or better) Ethernet
  • USB Type-A port, 3.x
  • additional USB Type-A port, can be 2.0
I absolutely do not need additional displays, non-HDMI ports for displays, memory card readers, or analog audio jacks. I also want to avoid (if possible) hubs that only have USB ports, so that I don't have to add (the clutter of) HDMI and Ethernet dongles.

Finally, if possible, I'd like the host port on the front of the hub (side is OK), and everything else on the back of the hub. So many hubs put multiple ports, as well as the power supply jack, on the front for some reason.

The closest I've found is the OWC Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock. It has one more HDMI port than I'll use, and I'd have to separately connect a charger, which means this isn't a convenient one-cable solution.

41wUJFJL1pL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

PS: I gave this a try and no bueno. Did not work at all with an Intel MBP, and would not output a video signal (nor allow MacOS to identify the presence of a display) on an M2 MBP.

7160zsWlKYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

whodiini

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2021
Its not that hard to find. Hint: Stick to a few reliable brands: OWC, Caldigit, plugable. Dont bother searching on Amazon, it has a lousy search engine.

first hit:
has everything you wanted.

whodiini

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2021
You didnt say you cared about cost. Here are no name ones. good luck!

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Apple's own braided USB-C to Lightning cable is obviously the most compatible one, but are there actually any tests and reviews how well it performs as a fast charging and fast data cable?

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
Looking for a dock for my MacBook Air (M1 chip) and my requirements are:

• DisplayLink.
  • Run 2 x HDMI external monitors at minimum 1080p 60hz with my MacBook in clamshell mode (closed lid).
  • Power delivery function.
  • Power source, 2 x HDMI ports and the usb-c connection that runs to my MacBook on the back of the dock.
  • A usb-c port on the front of the dock.
Based on that I shortlisted these 3:

1. Belkin INC007vfBK.
  2. UGREEN 90912.
  3. Alogic DUTHDPR.
The only notable difference I found was that the UGREEN doesn't come with it's own power supply, but this doesn't bother me as I will just plug in my MacBook charger (it came with a 30w charger, I presume this would be sufficient).

So is any of those 3 preferable / to be avoided? Belkin is the only brand of the 3 I've heard of/used before, but I fully realise that doesn't mean UGREEN and Alogic aren't good.

Can anyone advise on any of them?

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
Based on that I shortlisted these 3:

1. Belkin INC007vfBK.
  2. UGREEN 90912.
  3. Alogic DUTHDPR.
None of those are Thunderbolt docks. I recommend you consider a TB 3 or TB 4 dock. Consider one of the Acasis docks if you are looking for an inexpensive one. Or, consider a Sonnet or OWC dock if you can spend a bit more.

For example:

I do not think the MBA supports more than one external display. To get the extra display(s), you might consider:

Last edited:
Reactions: Merveilleux

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore

My experience with hubs that don't have their own charger (among which are Ugreen and WavLink) and provide USB-C Power Delivery pass-through are:
  • Plugging or unplugging peripherals often temporarily disconnects power. This creates problems when the hub hosts rotational hard drives (such as Time Machine backups). Which is often file system corruption.
  • They get hot quickly. When they get hot, connections to monitors and/or peripherals tend to stutter. Thus causing monitors to flicker and hard drives to disconnect (which again, creates file system corruption).
  • They take 10-20W off "the top" from your charger. Hence, you'd need 3rd party chargers that provide the extra power requirements above whatever your laptop already needs.
If the hub is to drive stationary monitors (as opposed to portable monitors), you'd be better off getting a dock instead. A dock would come with its own power supply and won't likely cut power as you plug or unplug peripherals. Sadly, some misname powerless hubs as a dock.

Reactions: EugW

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
None of those are Thunderbolt docks. I recommend you consider a TB 3 or TB 4 dock. Consider one of the Acasis docks if you are looking for an inexpensive one. Or, consider a Sonnet or OWC dock if you can spend a bit more.

For example:

I do not think the MBA supports more than one external display. To get the extra display(s), you might consider:
Thank you. The total cost of an adapter + thunderbolt dock just makes it a bit too much, I think for what I need one of these usb-c ones suffices.
My experience with hubs that don't have their own charger (among which are Ugreen and WavLink) and provide USB-C Power Delivery pass-through are:
  • Plugging or unplugging peripherals often temporarily disconnects power. This creates problems when the hub hosts rotational hard drives (such as Time Machine backups). Which is often file system corruption.
  • They get hot quickly. When they get hot, connections to monitors and/or peripherals tend to stutter. Thus causing monitors to flicker and hard drives to disconnect (which again, creates file system corruption).
  • They take 10-20W off "the top" from your charger. Hence, you'd need 3rd party chargers that provide the extra power requirements above whatever your laptop already needs.
If the hub is to drive stationary monitors (as opposed to portable monitors), you'd be better off getting a dock instead. A dock would come with its own power supply and won't likely cut power as you plug or unplug peripherals. Sadly, some misname powerless hubs as a dock.
That's really useful, thanks.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Since TB4 dock/hubs are on the horizon I am going to wait. I like the OWC except in has the input on the front. This is OK if you are setting down a MacBook and are plugging it in but this permanently puts the input cable on the front side when it is plugged into a Mini, or a Studio.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
A question about the OWC Thunderbolt Pro Dock. It has a 10Gb/s ethernet port. Can you use this as your connection to a Mac computer for external drives or do you still have to connect via thunderbolt for it to function properly. This is the last question I have before I get one. With this last said should I wait for a Thunderbolt 4 version?

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
A question about the OWC Thunderbolt Pro Dock. It has a 10Gb/s ethernet port. Can you use this as your connection to a Mac computer for external drives or do you still have to connect via thunderbolt for it to function properly. This is the last question I have before I get one. With this last said should I wait for a Thunderbolt 4 version?

MacOS computers can mount network shares, if that's your question. So if the external drives are in a NAS, yes, you can connect to them over Ethernet if you have permission to access the NAS. And if your NAS and Ethernet network are 10Gb/s throughout the chain, you'll get that speed.

You'll need to make sure the NAS has a 10Gb/s Ethernet interface, your switch or hub can accommodate that speed, and also that your network cables are capable of 10Gb/s. Older "Cat 5e" (Cat is short for "category") cabling can sometimes carry those signals over short distances, but if you're pulling cable for a new network, go ahead and buy Cat 8 cables. You'll grow into them in the future.

Finally, 10GB/s is wild overkill for one or two shared hard drives with spinning platters. Those drives just don't deliver data fast enough. Where it comes in very handy is if you're sharing NVMe SSDs, an array of slower SATA3 SSDs, or an array of at least five HDDs.

You can also directly connect storage volumes to a computer by USB or Thunderbolt (or SATA ports, or NVMe ports). In that case they belong to the computer and you'd have to authorize "drive sharing". Other computers could access directly-attached volumes that you've specifically shared.

That's the primary difference between the concepts of network-attached storage (NAS) and direct-attached storage (DAS). NAS is definitely more flexible, inasmuch as a NAS is a computer designated for the specific task of sharing its storage volumes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.