Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you own a Surface device

• Yes I own a Surface Pro or Surfacebook - it’s great

Votes: 161 51.8%
  • Yes I own a Surface laptop - it’s great

Votes: 35 11.3%
  • No - i’m not a fan

Votes: 65 20.9%
  • Not anymore I had a bad experience

Votes: 50 16.1%

• Total voters

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Rumors hint at the next Surface Pen having wireless charging.

Just visited Best Buy after a nice demo with the Surface Pro 6 and the Surface Laptop 2 (Irony, the iPads all had issues, including touch disease on the display 11" iPP).

Waiting on Wednesday...I hope for good things as I confirmed I'll need at least 1000 series graphic card to run a Wacom tablet.

Reactions: derekamoss

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I am still really enjoying my Surface Pro 2017 2 years in. It's been a great device. I *might* upgrade it this year depending on what they announce, but probably not. No real need to do so.

More interesting to me is the Surface 3 if they do in fact announce one. It might have the features I need to sell my MBP.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Hopefully the Surface Book 3 (if it is even released, not rumored to be currently) supports Thunderbolt 3. It's not like Thunderbolt is this mythical unicorn that is new. Apple has had it since...2016?

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
I hope they announce both a Pro & Book (and the Surface Laptop 3, a 15" AMD Ryzen is rumored on that front).

We'll see. I still love the build of the SL2 (just wish for more ports and a more powerful graphics card, but the keyboard and display are on point).

My wishlist includes different nibs for the Pen, and one of these laptops sporting an RTX card. Knowing me, I'd use a wired mouse.;)

I know I flicker back and forth btw switching, but my experiences at Apple and Best Buy this week are making me think I need to finally just jump into Windows land.

Reactions: Queen6

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I hope they announce both a Pro & Book (and the Surface Laptop 3, a 15" AMD Ryzen is rumored on that front).

We'll see. I still love the build of the SL2 (just wish for more ports and a more powerful graphics card, but the keyboard and display are on point).

My wishlist includes different nibs for the Pen, and one of these laptops sporting an RTX card. Knowing me, I'd use a wired mouse.;)

I know I flicker back and forth btw switching, but my experiences at Apple and Best Buy this week are making me think I need to finally just jump into Windows land.

There is already a pack of nibs for the current pen. Hopefully if they update the pen those nibs will still work or they also release a variety pack of nibs for the redesigned one.

I am hoping to see a Surface Book 3, but the rumored 15" Surface Laptop could have a lot of appeal for my wife and perhaps myself as well depending on ports.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
There is already a pack of nibs for the current pen. Hopefully if they update the pen those nibs will still work or they also release a variety pack of nibs for the redesigned one.

I am hoping to see a Surface Book 3, but the rumored 15" Surface Laptop could have a lot of appeal for my wife and perhaps myself as well depending on ports.
I've seen those nibs, but I think I'd like improved latency and more pressure sensitivity (Not expecting the 8092 ? pressure of the Wacom Pro 2 Pens) too.

I agree that ports are very important on the Surface laptops.

I think I am finally understanding I will need two machines and will have to learn something like Corel Painter in tandem with a Wacom. A simple laptop for basics, and a more powerful machine for the art stuff.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Did you watch Dave2D take on what the new SL 15 will be ? ie a budget AMD version

I have already gifted my SB2 to my youngest when I was in UK the other week so I am waiting ........

Reactions: Queen6 and kazmac

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Just saw this thread alone has 2k replies lol, on a Mac Forum. Attests to the interest the Surface products are gaining I guess. Really excited about the the Surface Event coming soon. Watch the keynote if you can. Panos Panay reminds me a lot of Steve Jobs when he was giving keynotes.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Just saw this thread alone has 2k replies lol, on a Mac Forum. Attests to the interest the Surface products are gaining I guess. Really excited about the the Surface Event coming soon. Watch the keynote if you can. Panos Panay reminds me a lot of Steve Jobs when he was giving keynotes.

I'll find out after the event what's being released (work and all).

I think it's great that MS is pushing R&D and releasing some very good hardware. The two things I wish they would change: current internals and I/O, and more reasonable price points on stuff like the 15" Surface Book & Surface Studio (and/or make a smaller Studio. I know about the Lenovo, but I'd want a Surface).

As a long time Mac user, that I keep thinking about the Laptop, Book and Studio says something. The build quality is so very good and feels comfortable. Yes, they are nice to look at too, but the overall feel is very impressive. I was very close to buying another SL2, but I will wait since the 3 gen is pretty much a given on Wednesday.

Panos is doing some great things for MS.

At any rate, looking forward to Wednesday.

Queen6

macrumors G4

Very much agree and having used the Surface Book extensively I'd happily opt for another. Down side of Surface is pricing and personally I'd like Microsoft to offer a more powerful Surface Notebook with the hex core i7 CPU and stronger dGPU, all in i9.

Hopefully we'll see a new Surface device this time round admittedly I very much doubt it will be a heavy-lifter. Personally these days I'm far more interested in the Microsoft event's than Apple's, if for no other reason than not having to listen/suffer Tim & Co gushing over the same rehashed products...

I too like Panos, his delivery is likeable and similar to Steve one does get a real sense of passion for the products, not solely the $$$$.

Q-6

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Interested to hear about a rumoured 15" Surface Laptop. I'm not so sure about the alcantara keyboard deck, but if it's priced at maybe £100 more than the current equivalent 13" model it's going to be an attractive option - a shame Apple don't have an answer to this machine at all (no rumours of a 15" Air, let alone a quad core one).

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
a shame Apple don't have an answer to this machine at all (no rumours of a 15" Air, let alone a quad core one).
Apple is focused on the Starbucks crowd so unless they are clambering for a 15" Air, it won't happen...

I just bought a Dell XPS 13 2in1 so I wont be interested in whatever MS announces but I did have, and completely dug, the Surface Laptop. I as well was worried about the Alcantara cover but it held up well during my time with it....

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
ok guys. https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/30/20892582/microsoft-surface-pro-7-leak-arm-powered-laptop-images
Apple is focused on the Starbucks crowd so unless they are clambering for a 15" Air, it won't happen...

I just bought a Dell XPS 13 2in1 so I wont be interested in whatever MS announces but I did have, and completely dug, the Surface Laptop. I as well was worried about the Alcantara cover but it held up well during my time with it....
well no fear of the Alcantara keyboard on the SL3

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
It would be great to see Surface Laptop 15, but with internals that would rival Surface Book 2. That means a proper GPU inside. SB2 is great, but I really don't need or want a tablet part of the device. And the compromises that have to be taken to make 2in1 aren't that appealing to me.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

Honestly I feel it's more like they just want to charge anyone who wants a full size laptop £2,400+ rather than giving the option of a 15" Air for £1-200 more than the equivalent 13". Most other manufacturers seem to have options at both 13 and 15 inch sizes...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple is focused on the Starbucks crowd
Not for nothing, but Apple's MBP line is doing better and it seems the 2019 model is the best of the current design. Its a nice computer, though I'd rather not take a chance on the butterfly keyboard. Additionally, the price premium is such that I can't see myself dropping 3k+ when I can buy a PC for a third (or more) less.

As for Surface line, I'm curious to see what Microsoft rolls out today, but I'll say this. MS has copied Apple's design and pricing from the get go. I would not expect an inexpensive laptop that has user upgradeable features. I've owned a couple of surface products over the years and I don't have any complaints but they were not cheap.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Currently waiting for an iPP refresh, the Surface Pro X looks interesting.

Also keen to see performance on the Ryzen Surface Edition along with the Qualcomm in the X
3x the performance per watt of the Surface Pro 6 at 7 watts, suggests about 1.5x as powerful as a SP 6, which is very impressive if it holds true in real life performance.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Definitely interested in the Surface Pro X, the slim pen and quite possibly the 15" Ryzen Surface Laptop 3 (just depends on what the Ryzen graphics card can do > running a Wacom + software and video conversions).

It would be so nice to get everything in one fell swoop.

I think I can wait another month. :eek::p:eek:

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
The Surface Earbuds have to be the dumbest thing I've seen yet

Day late and a dollar short

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.