Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you own a Surface device

• Yes I own a Surface Pro or Surfacebook - it’s great

Votes: 160 52.1%
  • Yes I own a Surface laptop - it’s great

Votes: 35 11.4%
  • No - i’m not a fan

Votes: 62 20.2%
  • Not anymore I had a bad experience

Votes: 50 16.3%

• Total voters

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
Not for nothing, but Apple's MBP line is doing better and it seems the 2019 model is the best of the current design. Its a nice computer, though I'd rather not take a chance on the butterfly keyboard. Additionally, the price premium is such that I can't see myself dropping 3k+ when I can buy a PC for a third (or more) less.

As for Surface line, I'm curious to see what Microsoft rolls out today, but I'll say this. MS has copied Apple's design and pricing from the get go. I would not expect an inexpensive laptop that has user upgradeable features. I've owned a couple of surface products over the years and I don't have any complaints but they were not cheap.
looks like they are not copying apple anymore as they have a modular design and sane starting prices.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Still no TB3, which is a joke. Of course, TB3 is a no-go on AMD chips, but 13" version is more then capable.
And the lack of ports is astonishing. MS is going almost full Apple with this one.

But still, screen ratio is great, and the 15" version will probably be great for linux users.

It's really a shame AMD hasn't caught up on mobile chips with Intel yet.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
Still no TB3, which is a joke. Of course, TB3 is a no-go on AMD chips, but 13" version is more then capable.
And the lack of ports is astonishing. MS is going almost full Apple with this one.

But still, screen ratio is great, and the 15" version will probably be great for linux users.

Damm it

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018

well i think when zen 2 releases it will be even greater as the current amd chip ryzen 7(12mn) beats the 10mn intel chip in terms of graphics performance.
[automerge]1570097928[/automerge]
Also the ssd is M.2 NVME 2230 drive, its only made for businesses and clients at the moment. But is user replaceable but not in retail markets unfortunately.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

Yes, the lack of ports and the introductory storage & price are Apple ridiculous, but I'll consider especially since the Surface Laptops are so comfortable to use.

I will wait for reviews and sales (they will come sooner rather than later). Also need to research this Ryzen chip and two art programs/apps.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
SL3 15” user replaceable SSD, oh yeah
looks like they are not copying apple anymore as they have a modular design and sane starting prices.
Yes, they opted for user replaceable ssd, that's a nice move, though the pricing is still rather high.

As for the X, I'm intrigued by it, but speaking of price, its a bit pricey starting price of 1,000 and going up to what, 1,700. With that said, the 12" iPad pro's starting price is close to the X's and this is probably competing against that

Being ARM based, means that many of the apps I use may not be compatible, this one will be interesting to see how it develops, given Microsoft's failure with ARM based products in the past.

I think they ment it is not soldered, but that does not mean it is "user replaceable".
A video I saw on deprivew showed how easy it was to access the SSD and pop it out - at least on the Surface X pro model

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
As far as ports go, I would still call the surface laptop a step up from the MBA or two-thunderbolt MBP (for your average user). Having the option of USB A or USB C built into the computer will be good for those of us who still have and use A peripherals (and it's not like they aren't still ubiquitous or are going away any time soon) and also the fact you have a separate charging port means both are always available to use as well. It's a shame they didn't include an SD slot, but I guess the Surface Book is the one they're targeting photographers with. And no, I guess for super multi peripheral users this set up probably isn't as useful as having lots of Thunderbolt expandability.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I have to say, even as an Apple fan the Microsoft Event yesterday was pretty good. I was impressed with the Surface Neo and Surface Duo. I'm still very skeptical, since it is a year away! however i do like the form factor of both the Neo and Duo :)

Depending on the version of Windows, (if it's a stripped down version it might be better) this could very well be what i'm looking for. Even tho i sold my Surface Pro 6, i still liked the overall design (the kick stand was awesome). It was Windows that i just couldn't get along with vs MacOS.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Great event, relevant updates, new accessible hardware, and points to the future. I'd like to have seen an update to Surface Book, that said still one of the best tech events in a long time; decent updates, interesting & innovative new products, very little flab or slobbering over themselves.

AMD powered 15" interests, which is likely going to result in a sale as long as the notebook stands up, certainly worth a look and see. Microsoft has yet to disappoint with Surface, sadly Apple today a very different story...

Q-6

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Some info on the Ryzen chips that are in the SL3:

PC World on the potential Ryzen chips for SL3

AMD exec blog post about the custom chip.

Can someone explain what this means regarding graphics? Chip architecture is foreign to me. Thanks
That it can go toe to toe with an Nvidia MX150 is reasonably impressive, though that's a low end dGPU it still helps with pushing out the frames. It's really going to be for giving small scale 3D rendering or video editing a bit of a boost, but for example if you wanted to do a bit of light-moderate gaming and are willing to turn down the settings it looks like it will do ok at that, unlike Intel's traditionally notoriously weak UHD (and even Iris) integrated graphics. It will be interesting to see if the new Ice Lake gen 11 graphics from Intel are anything like as good as they've been teasing on the smaller model, too...

Reactions: kazmac

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
they are removable but the drives are hard to find online as MS only uses the M.2 nvme 2230 standard and this form factor is only available for businesses and u can't find it online like on amazon or newegg.

Of course they are. And the user can technically do it. They could do it on previous SP models, too. The linked article, and the half-baked quote I used for the URL makes direct reference to actual "skilled technicians" making any swap. I guess for warranty? Disclaimer? (I'm not talking about the part per se)

The full paragraph (bold, my emphasis):

According to the preorder pages for both devices, the drives are "not user removable" Instead, Microsoft says, you'll have to contact a "skilled technician" to swap the drives out. In other words, you'll likely have to make a trip to a Microsoft Store.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
That it can go toe to toe with an Nvidia MX150 is reasonably impressive, though that's a low end dGPU it still helps with pushing out the frames. It's really going to be for giving small scale 3D rendering or video editing a bit of a boost, but for example if you wanted to do a bit of light-moderate gaming and are willing to turn down the settings it looks like it will do ok at that, unlike Intel's traditionally notoriously weak UHD (and even Iris) integrated graphics. It will be interesting to see if the new Ice Lake gen 11 graphics from Intel are anything like as good as they've been teasing on the smaller model, too...

:)Thank you very much.

Not looking to game, light video conversion and using a wacom tablet + software. Seems as though this custom Ryzen chip's gpu is a little more powerful than my iMac, but probably not enough for me to put out the $ MS is asking. I figured, but I'll wait and see.

The Verge posted this on the Ryzen chips. And MS will not give up on the Surface Book either.

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
What was your problem with Windows?

I prefer MacOS but Win 10 is actually very, very good these days..

compared to MacOS it didn’t feel as polished, or as good to use. Maybe it’s because I’ve been spoilt with MacOS over the last 8 or so years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.