Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you own a Surface device

• Yes I own a Surface Pro or Surfacebook - it’s great

Votes: 161 53.0%
  • Yes I own a Surface laptop - it’s great

Votes: 35 11.5%
  • No - i’m not a fan

Votes: 61 20.1%
  • Not anymore I had a bad experience

Votes: 47 15.5%

• Total voters

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Came this morning and I am still setting it up but here is a quick SSD test on the Surface Laptop 3 512GB model...

ssd-test-SL3.png

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
If you find time, can you tell a bit more how you like it, or what you don't like it?

Will do.. The above speed test was done in battery save mode so if kicked into performance mode it might eek out faster speeds. Probably not by much though...

Initial thoughts:

Trackpad and KB are nice
Screen not as bright as I'd like. I'll have to see of I can find the rated NIT's of it
Fresh boot - stock machine had 12.7 GB RAM available of the 16 on the machine.
The Platinum fabric is darker than pervious years (I think)… This is a medium sliver- grey color.

I'll post more later with some photos..

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
This is one of the minor issues I have with Microsoft. They want to be like Apple, but for some reason they copy the "apple tax" part as well. The surface lines are surely innovative for the PC market, but these designs are pretty old now. And putting in slow SSD's and iffy WiFi chips has been an issue for years now.

Nonetheless, I am waiting to see reviews on the Surface Pro X. Just wish they would also release a model with Ice Lake as well.
I do not see that at all from MS whilst on face value it looks ala Apple money grab my take on it is MS sell more to corporate accounts that are server based and do not need the storage on each device.

Secondly MS are likely to be encouraging private owners to go more cloud base given their generous bundled storage solutions compared to Apples stealth grab of closed ECO charges :rolleyes:

I agree $300 per upgrade is steep but at least they are replaceable and that's a lot cheaper than a new LB from Apple

Surface devices could not be further away from Apple stale clamshells. They have embraced touch fully pushed the 2 in 1 market forward and come out with devices like the studio and now DUO and NEO

Look at the MB that only lasted a few years before Apple returned to same old MBA clamshell format and killed off many Pro users interest in Mac.

Reactions: Queen6 and raqball

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
Are they really replaceable? Has anyone tested that theory?

I wouldn't put it past MS to tell you that your replacement SSD isn't "authorized" or some BS like that.

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
Yeah, marketing lies. They made it look like you could just easily pop in your own SSDs.

Seeing as how you can get a 512 GB Sandisk M.2 2230 SSD for 80 Euro, it's a true shame.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
If you find time, can you tell a bit more how you like it, or what you don't like it?

Quick thoughts after a day on the Surface Laptop 3.

Specs on my machine

10th Generation Intel Core i7-1065G7 Processor
13.5" Touch Display
512GB SSD
16GB RAM
Intel(R) Iris Plus Graphics
Windows 10 Home (will upgrade to Pro)

Price as configured $1999 but I used a discount program offered by the joint I retired from and got it for $1799.

A few scores (10 being max). These might change and are my initial impressions of it

Build quality = 9
Screen = 8 (gorgeous screen but I docked a point because it's not very bright. My guess is 300'ish NIT's)
Keyboard = 9
Sound = 9
Trackpad = 9
Battery life = ???
Windows 10 = 9
SSD speed = 7
CPU = 9
GPU (Iris - integrated) = 9
Fan noise = 9 (it's quiet)
Heat = 9 ( stays cool)
Ports = 8 (1 USB C, 1 USB A, Headphone Jack, Proprietary charging port)

I am charging via the USB C and tried a 45W charger. While it worked, charge was slow so I busted out a 65W charger and that does the trick.. I'd recommend a 65W if you want to charge via USB C...

Overall happy with the machine. I love the 3:2 aspect ratio and the screen is crisp and clear. My one complaint is brightness levels. I can't find NIT specs on it but my guess is 300'ish range.

Keyboard is awesome and has descent travel. The trackpad is spot on and no issues. It's pretty loud sound wise. On my Dell XPS I keep the sound at about 70. On this I've had to dial it down to 40.

The fan came on during the initial Win updates and I have not heard it since. Heat levels are minimal. Little to no bloatware on this machine. A few games but noting crazy...

No clue on battery life yet as I've had it one day...

I'll grab some photos later and post them up. The machine fabric is darker than previous years versions.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
This is one of the minor issues I have with Microsoft. They want to be like Apple, but for some reason they copy the "apple tax" part as well. The surface lines are surely innovative for the PC market, but these designs are pretty old now. And putting in slow SSD's and iffy WiFi chips has been an issue for years now.

Nonetheless, I am waiting to see reviews on the Surface Pro X. Just wish they would also release a model with Ice Lake as well.
In Microsoft's case, this is deliberate to allow plenty of breathing room for other manufacturers further down the pricing scale (arguably the new surface laptop does ratchet up the pressure a notch, though). Keeping HP, Dell, Lenovo, Razer, et al. on board is even more valuable to Microsoft than making a lot of cash by maximising their own market share.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016

Specs on my machine

13.5" Touch Display
512GB SSD
16GB RAM

Price as configured $1999 but I used a discount program offered by the joint I retired from and got it for $1799.

A few scores (10 being max). These might change and are my initial impressions of it

Build quality = 9
Screen = 8 (gorgeous screen but I docked a point because it's not very bright. My guess is 300'ish NIT's)
Keyboard = 9
Sound = 9
Trackpad = 9
Battery life = ???
Windows 10 = 9
SSD speed = 7
CPU = 9
Heat = 9 ( stays cool)

I am charging via the USB C and tried a 45W charger. While it worked, charge was slow so I busted out a 65W charger and that does the trick.. I'd recommend a 65W if you want to charge via USB C...

Overall happy with the machine. I love the 3:2 aspect ratio and the screen is crisp and clear. My one complaint is brightness levels. I can't find NIT specs on it but my guess is 300'ish range.

Keyboard is awesome and has descent travel. The trackpad is spot on and no issues. It's pretty loud sound wise. On my Dell XPS I keep the sound at about 70. On this I've had to dial it down to 40.

The fan came on during the initial Win updates and I have not heard it since. Heat levels are minimal. Little to no bloatware on this machine. A few games but noting crazy...

I'll grab some photos later and post them up. The machine fabric is darker than previous years versions.
Brilliant. Keep us posted on battery life

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Are they really replaceable? Has anyone tested that theory?

I wouldn't put it past MS to tell you that your replacement SSD isn't "authorized" or some BS like that.
LOL think your getting confused with Apple policy on unauthorised repairs and nag notices

It would be hard generally to test considering the devices have only been out days :rolleyes:
[automerge]1571841711[/automerge]
Yeah, marketing lies. They made it look like you could just easily pop in your own SSDs.

I do not think so there are strong laws on this especially in Europe, MS make it quite clear (see below) many think this is MS being overly cautious and if parts are available it may be possible as a DIY, for those inclined

[4] Hard drive is not user removable. Hard drive is only removable by skilled technician following Microsoft provided instructions.

Last edited:

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
[4] Hard drive is not user removable. Hard drive is only removable by skilled technician following Microsoft provided instructions.

That terminology might be the key.. It's not user replaceable but is technician replaceable.. This is still better than being soldered onto the MB as the HD can be replaced without needing an entire motherboard, RAM, ect, ect...…

I'll take technician replaceable all day long over soldered onto the MB....

Reactions: SteveJUAE

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
That terminology might be the key.. It's not user replaceable but is technician replaceable.. This is still better than being soldered onto the MB as the HD can be replaced without needing an entire motherboard, RAM, ect, ect...…

I'll take technician replaceable all day long over soldered onto the MB....

iFixit teardown of the Surface Pro 5 says the SSD is integrated into the MB. I'm betting later models are the same.

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014

Seeing as how you can get a 512 GB Sandisk M.2 2230 SSD for 80 Euro, it's a true shame.

Actually, no they didn't. When Panos made the presentation at the Surface event, he did say something to the effect of "don't do this at home". I think he could have been a little more emphatic on this point. I remember being a little confused on the lack of clarity when I watched the Event.

I had linked to an article a couple pages back in this thread where Windows Central asked a Microsoft official for clarification on this and from the outset it was already made clear that someone qualified would need to do any SSD lift out.

But, yes, it is a shame, I agree.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
But, yes, it is a shame, I agree.
Disagree...

It's progress from the soldered on way of doing things these days. Sure I'd prefer user replaceable but tech replaceable is still better than soldered on IMHO..
[automerge]1571860811[/automerge]
A few photos... Same ole Surface Laptop but with USB C and the fabric color is darker...

20191023-125313.jpg

20191023-125327.jpg

20191023-125342.jpg

20191023-125410.jpg

20191023-125509.jpg

20191023-125437.jpg

Last edited:

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
The rated NITS of the Surface Laptop 3 is 400 according to MS. I am gonna call BS on that and still peg it in the 300'ish range...

Will be using it outdoors a bit today so I'll see how it does. Won't really be a great test though due to time of year and projected weather conditions but should give me an idea.

Last edited:

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
Hi raqball,

The 13.5" variant has newer SSD than what is available in the 15". A SL3 impressions article on Windows Central says the following of the SSD:

The Toshiba BG4 (ball grid) for the 256GB SSD is noteworthy. Ball-grid storage is a smaller form factor that has been around for a while, but the Toshiba BG4 is brand new. It was announced at CES 2019 but only became available this quarter, earning strong reviews. I only mention this because Microsoft sourced SK Hynix for the Surface Laptop 3 15. Sourcing different SSDs is quite common for manufacturers, but at least, in this case, the Toshiba gives a significant boost in performance, especially in write speeds, over the SK Hynix (both are 256 GB).

His benchmark on the 256 is 2,338 read and 1,583! Impressive!!!

I've read through a couple of your other posts such as the nits issue. In terms of overall performance, how is yours tracking?

I had a chance to fiddle around with one last night. It's extraordinarily seductive and clean (and thin!). Still not sure whether I should possibly hold out for SB3 or not, but I am mighty tempted by the SL3.

-edit-

Hmm, I just saw your post at the top of the page. I wonder why the disparate write speeds between yours and Daniel Rubino's.

Specs on my machine

13.5" Touch Display
512GB SSD
16GB RAM

Build quality = 9
Keyboard = 9
Sound = 9
Trackpad = 9
Battery life = ???
Windows 10 = 9
SSD speed = 7
CPU = 9
Heat = 9 ( stays cool)

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Hi raqball,

The 13.5" variant has newer SSD than what is available in the 15". A SL3 impressions article on Windows Central says the following of the SSD:

His benchmark on the 256 is 2,338 read and 1,583! Impressive!!!

I've read through a couple of your other posts such as the nits issue. In terms of overall performance, how is yours tracking?

I had a chance to fiddle around with one last night. It's extraordinarily seductive and clean (and thin!). Still not sure whether I should possibly hold out for SB3 or not, but I am mighty tempted by the SL3.

-edit-

Hmm, I just saw your post at the top of the page. I wonder why the disparate write speeds between yours and Daniel Rubino's.
Performance is good, very good. It's fast, snappy and has not broken a sweat yet with what I've thrown at it.

My SSD test was in battery save mode. I might kick it into performance and run another to see if that makes much of a difference...

Reactions: Bodie CI5

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
Performance is good, very good. It's fast, snappy and has not broken a sweat yet with what I've thrown at it.

My SSD test was in battery save mode. I might kick it into performance and run another to see if that makes much of a difference...

That's excellent news! Synthetic benchmarks are all well and good, but normal every day usage experiences are tops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.