Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you own a Surface device

• Yes I own a Surface Pro or Surfacebook - it’s great

Votes: 161 53.0%
  • Yes I own a Surface laptop - it’s great

Votes: 35 11.5%
  • No - i’m not a fan

Votes: 61 20.1%
  • Not anymore I had a bad experience

Votes: 47 15.5%

• Total voters

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Hmm, I just saw your post at the top of the page. I wonder why the disparate write speeds between yours and Daniel Rubino's.
My SSD test was in battery save mode. I might kick it into performance and run another to see if that makes much of a difference...
So I ran the SSD test again and got the same'ish results... Not sure why his 256 is faster than my 512 but the speeds are sufficient...

Reactions: Bodie CI5

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
So I ran the SSD test again and got the same'ish results... Not sure why his 256 is faster than my 512 but the speeds are sufficient...

No doubt. I like what I see with the SL3. I'm still hanging in the balance, as it were, between either an SL3, another Lenovo or a mythical SB3 (still top contender for me). Your sharing of experiences with the new machine, however, are very appreciated :)

Reactions: raqball

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Having given it a couple of weeks since the Microsoft event, i really do think it was the best event Microsoft has held.
I'm going to be keeping my eye on the Surface Neo and Duo (no doubt there will be updates on the progress and so on from Microsoft). Even as an Apple guy, i'm actually hoping that they succeed with the Neo and Duo.

At this point i'm worried about Windows and Android, Microsoft are working with Google, so i'm hoping it will be a stock Android without bloatware rubbish. Windows on Neo and Duo i'm hoping is cleaner and more refined (like MacOS),

Reactions: LeeW

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
At this point i'm worried about Windows and Android, Microsoft are working with Google, so i'm hoping it will be a stock Android without bloatware rubbish. Windows on Neo and Duo i'm hoping is cleaner and more refined (like MacOS),

I doubt it, Microsoft will want to make it their own in as much as they can, a bit like Samsung destroys the stock Andriod on their devices.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Anyone know if the new flat Microsoft Pen designed for the Surface X is magnetic so it'll stick to older Surface models? Specifically interested in it as a space-saving pen for my Surface Book 2.

The current Microsoft Pen sticks well to my SB2, though it certainly isn't what I would call a flush fit.

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
I'm not sure how accurate this is:

• Both the new Slim Pen and old Surface Pen can be magnetically attached to the side of the device.
  • When the Surface Pro X is charging, you can magnetically attach the Pen to the back.

From MSPoweruser.com

I guess I should have watched the video (in the link) before responding. :p

Anyone know if the new flat Microsoft Pen designed for the Surface X is magnetic so it'll stick to older Surface models? Specifically interested in it as a space-saving pen for my Surface Book 2.

The current Microsoft Pen sticks well to my SB2, though it certainly isn't what I would call a flush fit.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm not sure how accurate this is:

From MSPoweruser.com

I guess I should have watched the video (in the link) before responding. :p
Video shows the new pen clearly works on screen. Doesn't confirm that the new pen will attach to the Surface 5/6/7 or SB2, however. He does briefly stick it to the size of the Surface X (I think along the Surface Connector slot, which didn't exactly show a strong attachment, either).

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Just ordered the SL3 15" Black for a bit of fun :)

I was sitting on the fence as its a little conflicted, but given 4:3 aspect ratio and it will be months before released here so I got it from B&H express delivery to KL

I just wished they had upgraded the SB2 as I had already gifted that to my youngest in anticipation :rolleyes: and would of preferred that or a new Razer Studio :D

Reactions: raqball and kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Just asked the job if they want me to buy a PC to work remotely when I have to call in.

Not sure what I would get, but definitely not something super duper charged as I may have to bring it into work for the IT department to set up etc..

While I’d like a 15” SL3, not sure if the Intel version would be available to me since I am not a business customer.

I hope the various bugs being reported in the SL3s are worked out soon.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Sound like the issues were on the AMD 15"....

I have the 13.5 Intel and it's solid!

I expected problems from the AMD as there will be bugs to work out since it's gen 1 in the machine...
It seems like it’s mostly the AMD model, yes.

I’ll wait and see. If the job wants me to work remotely when I call in, I might consider a 13”.

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
So, I've been testing the 15" AMD Surface Laptop, and I'm constantly shifting between "Woah", "Meh" and "Yikes".

Woah:

I don't think I've ever seen a better screen / body ratio in a laptop this large. It's a real treat how light and sexy and this computer is. The trackpad is also by far the best I've seen on a Windows computer (even if it's still worse than on a Macbook).

The keyboard also seems super precise, it feels worse than a Thinkpad but is just as fast and a couple of hours into using it, I got to the same words per minute / error rate that I had on my Thinkpad.

Meh:

Battery life and general performance are kind of sluggish. Speakers sound like they're mono (even though the positioning is good). There's a weird graphic setting that reduces brightness when showing darker content, driving me nuts. SSD is pretty slow and the upgrade to a larger SSD will be a fair bit of work.

The display looks nice and crisp, but the moment you display darker content, it's a total makeup mirror. It's entirely unusable outside because it's so glossy.

Yikes:

So Microsoft made both the computer and the OS, doesn't it stand to reason that the computer would be largely stable?

Before I even did anything on it but install Firefox, I got my first Blue Screen. No big deal, I'm sure the software update will fix it. WRONG. Second bluescreen hours after the update, again only Firefox was opened. I got the feeling I might send the PC back, so I installed iTunes to fuel up the iPad for a couple of laptopless days. BOOM, bluescreen during iTunes use, nothing else was opened.

After the 4th bluescreen, this time while playing WoW Classic, I decided to return the laptop.

Next stop: Honor Magicbook Pro.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
So, I've been testing the 15" AMD Surface Laptop, and I'm constantly shifting between "Woah", "Meh" and "Yikes".

Woah:

I don't think I've ever seen a better screen / body ratio in a laptop this large. It's a real treat how light and sexy and this computer is. The trackpad is also by far the best I've seen on a Windows computer (even if it's still worse than on a Macbook).

The keyboard also seems super precise, it feels worse than a Thinkpad but is just as fast and a couple of hours into using it, I got to the same words per minute / error rate that I had on my Thinkpad.

Meh:

Battery life and general performance are kind of sluggish. Speakers sound like they're mono (even though the positioning is good). There's a weird graphic setting that reduces brightness when showing darker content, driving me nuts. SSD is pretty slow and the upgrade to a larger SSD will be a fair bit of work.

The display looks nice and crisp, but the moment you display darker content, it's a total makeup mirror. It's entirely unusable outside because it's so glossy.

Yikes:

So Microsoft made both the computer and the OS, doesn't it stand to reason that the computer would be largely stable?

Before I even did anything on it but install Firefox, I got my first Blue Screen. No big deal, I'm sure the software update will fix it. WRONG. Second bluescreen hours after the update, again only Firefox was opened. I got the feeling I might send the PC back, so I installed iTunes to fuel up the iPad for a couple of laptopless days. BOOM, bluescreen during iTunes use, nothing else was opened.

After the 4th bluescreen, this time while playing WoW Classic, I decided to return the laptop.

Next stop: Honor Magicbook Pro.
Thanks for the heads up just cancelled my order in time

Fortunately B&H queried the validity of my address for some unknown reason and with the time difference between here and US this gave a window for me to cancel and stay away from AMD

I should of known better :rolleyes: and get the Intel version

cancelled.jpg

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
I'm not happy to say that, because I'm one of the few people who are in the market for the small "large ultrabook" category, and the Surface Laptop 3 could be the device that's perfect for me. It's just that everything apart from the chassis is kind of a letdown, and that's not even mentioning the reliability issues that may or may not get fixed at a later date.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I am sure MS will work out the bugs on the 15" but early adopters of a gen 1 machine should probably expect bugs and issues..

My 13" has been solid!

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I am sure MS will work out the bugs on the 15" but early adopters of a gen 1 machine should probably expect bugs and issues..

My 13" has been solid!
To me there is a difference when some system drivers play up re sleep hibernate on SP4 or BT on Boot camp but when its other progs compatibility issue that's less likely to be in MS control IMO

Yours is solid thanks to Intel chipset that's only available to enterprise customers on the SL3 15"

How many other quirks will occur for the AMD chipset is my concern given the user base is small the incentives to fix rapidly is much less is my concern and why I bailed out

The same for the surface pro already a long list of progs that wont work

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
How many other quirks will occur for the AMD chipset is my concern given the user base is small the incentives to fix rapidly is much less is my concern and why I bailed out

My 256GB SB2 has quirks too - its SSD is crap! And I only related that after 12 months usage. But was told that I was reading "echo chamber" sources :p:rolleyes:

evoixdan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Haven’t found many posts from current surface book users. My last MacBook purchase was a 2015 13” MBP. I’m looking for something new now and the keyboard issues on the new one coupled with the crappy hardware have me wanting to buy something outside of Apple for the first time in 15 years.

I have an iPad mini 2, and I use to love that thing. But after all the updates, it’s become unusable because there is so much lag on opening a tab or scrolling in safari there’s no point to use that thing any longer. Even turning a page in iBooks is glitchy.

I really like the features of the surface book. Just looking for feedback from a former Mac user on their experiences with the surface book. TIA

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
How dare MS dangle such exciting devices like the Neo and Duo yet release 2 new devices that have software compatibility issues :rolleyes:

I'm really miffed with these new S Pro and SL3 15"

I don't mind paying for form factor I can tolerate mediocre performance but not compatibility. If I wanted a niche OS I would go back to MacOS/IOS hell I even considered reverting to Bootcamping a MBP as that's less likely to have software issues, then I slapped myself LOL

Seems another year wait for an updated SB2 as I gifted my one to my youngest and a Mercury White Razer 15 will have to be my fill in device :D

Reactions: kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.