Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Sooooo, I may or may not have purchased one after I said I wouldn't. Getting my thoughts together. Too early to give the final verdict, but there are really strong pros and really strong cons.
I look forward to it! Camera has become such a big deal for me that I don’t think I would be happy, but after watching a few reviews, I actually like this implementation better than the folds that other manufacturers are coming out with.

Reactions: nospleen

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2019
I look forward to it! Camera has become such a big deal for me that I don’t think I would be happy, but after watching a few reviews, I actually like this implementation better than the folds that other manufacturers are coming out with.

What?!! at least wait for v2!!! It will get better! Just look at the Fold 1 & 2!! For that price it needs a lot more pros than cons.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas

The camera is not very good, but in the right light it's ok. Anything less than ideal situations for pictures and its not very good.

Here's a few from the last two days. No edits and you can really see it struggle in the inside pic. Also, due to the camera location and how you flip the phone screen around often, you constantly have to wipe the camera before taking a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20200913_192353_copy_1920x1440.jpg
    IMG_20200913_192353_copy_1920x1440.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_20200913_082734_copy_1920x2560.jpg
    IMG_20200913_082734_copy_1920x2560.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_20200912_201342_copy_1920x2560.jpg
    IMG_20200912_201342_copy_1920x2560.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_20200913_075349_copy_1920x2560.jpg
    IMG_20200913_075349_copy_1920x2560.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_20200913_124507_copy_1920x2560.jpg
    IMG_20200913_124507_copy_1920x2560.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 282

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
The camera is not very good, but in the right light it's ok. Anything less than ideal situations for pictures and its not very good.

Here's a few from the last two days. No edits and you can really see it struggle in the inside pic. Also, due to the camera location and how you flip the phone screen around often, you constantly have to wipe the camera before taking a pic.

Cool puppers!!!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

The colours look pretty good though! I'll give it that. And like you say, in lower light it does struggle which is a shame.
I have to say though, I prefer the look of it to the fold 2 but it definitely needs a bit of a change in direction for the successor.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Well, I have used the Surface Duo for a week now.

Hardware:
  • Extremely high quality, hinge is great, feels worth every penny, even with the larger bezels.
  • Surprisingly easy to get used to the width and my iPhone 11 and Pixel 4a seem very narrow now.
  • It is slippery, but due to the boxy shape, I never felt like I was going to drop it.
  • Closing the phone has a satisfying sound and feel. Sounds dumb, but reminds me of how a small thing like iPhone haptics make something feel high quality. The hinge is so good!
Pros:
  • Bright screens
  • Having two displays is really great. Although my use case is not editing a word doc, while researching on the other screen. It was more, watching youtube while on twitter, lol.
  • The various postures are great and I love being able to use at any angle, tent mode, etc.
  • The aspect ratio is great!
Cons:
  • No external screen. Constantly trying to decide to leave folded open. (Both screens exposed, back to back)
  • Speaker is terrible and on the left display. If I want to use one screen, I prefer the fingerprint sensor on the right, but that makes the one and only speaker face the other way. Yes, you can just flip, but for my preference, it is annoying.
  • Camera is terrible in anything other than perfect light. In good light, it feels very iPhone 5s or so.
  • Edges are sharp, so uncomfortable to type on without the bumper case
  • Glass everywhere, all sides, both screens, etc. I would have preferred magnesium on the outside, especially given wireless charging is not included
  • No wireless charging
  • Typing when both screens are open (like a book) is odd for anything other than swipe typing

Additional Thoughts:
  • Screen quality is good, but not great
  • Battery life is decent. Not great, not bad, but definitely acceptable
  • Typing when folded open, using one screen, is nice. I got used to the extra width and can type very fast this way. (But, the sharp edges are uncomfortable)
  • The software was not anywhere near as buggy as what I saw in the various release videos. I was expecting a horror show, but it was like a 6.5/7 out of 10. Way more fluid than I thought and I imagine in a few months, it will be great.
  • Scrolling through chrome, twitter, etc. was smooth and not janky like I have experience on my Pixels over the years
  • I think there is only a certain level of productivity one can achieve on a pocketable sized device. For me, it is great for One Note and note taking, but I would not want to work in Word for an extended period of time, even with the two screens. (likely personal preference)

I have never been so conflicted on a device. The logical side of me says to return it, lots of cons and sacrifices for such an expensive device. But, for some reason, I just do not want to put it down!

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Well, I have used the Surface Duo for a week now.

Hardware:
  • Extremely high quality, hinge is great, feels worth every penny, even with the larger bezels.
  • Surprisingly easy to get used to the width and my iPhone 11 and Pixel 4a seem very narrow now.
  • It is slippery, but due to the boxy shape, I never felt like I was going to drop it.
  • Closing the phone has a satisfying sound and feel. Sounds dumb, but reminds me of how a small thing like iPhone haptics make something feel high quality. The hinge is so good!
Pros:
  • Bright screens
  • Having two displays is really great. Although my use case is not editing a word doc, while researching on the other screen. It was more, watching youtube while on twitter, lol.
  • The various postures are great and I love being able to use at any angle, tent mode, etc.
  • The aspect ratio is great!
Cons:
  • No external screen. Constantly trying to decide to leave folded open. (Both screens exposed, back to back)
  • Speaker is terrible and on the left display. If I want to use one screen, I prefer the fingerprint sensor on the right, but that makes the one and only speaker face the other way. Yes, you can just flip, but for my preference, it is annoying.
  • Camera is terrible in anything other than perfect light. In good light, it feels very iPhone 5s or so.
  • Edges are sharp, so uncomfortable to type on without the bumper case
  • Glass everywhere, all sides, both screens, etc. I would have preferred magnesium on the outside, especially given wireless charging is not included
  • No wireless charging
  • Typing when both screens are open (like a book) is odd for anything other than swipe typing

Additional Thoughts:
  • Screen quality is good, but not great
  • Battery life is decent. Not great, not bad, but definitely acceptable
  • Typing when folded open, using one screen, is nice. I got used to the extra width and can type very fast this way. (But, the sharp edges are uncomfortable)
  • The software was not anywhere near as buggy as what I saw in the various release videos. I was expecting a horror show, but it was like a 6.5/7 out of 10. Way more fluid than I thought and I imagine in a few months, it will be great.
  • Scrolling through chrome, twitter, etc. was smooth and not janky like I have experience on my Pixels over the years
  • I think there is only a certain level of productivity one can achieve on a pocketable sized device. For me, it is great for One Note and note taking, but I would not want to work in Word for an extended period of time, even with the two screens. (likely personal preference)

I have never been so conflicted on a device. The logical side of me says to return it, lots of cons and sacrifices for such an expensive device. But, for some reason, I just do not want to put it down!

Very good write up, thanks for your thoughts. I am pretty similar in that I know I should return this phone, but I have really enjoyed using it, especially for work. The two separate screens really takes multitasking to another level to me, much better experience in its implementation.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ars Technica just put up their review of the Duo. They were not kind.
The Surface Duo feels like a phone that was slapped together without a plan, and the reports of the phone's history indicate that's what actually happened. We would like to gently welcome Microsoft to the Android ecosystem, but we are not grading $1400 smartphones on a curve. Microsoft needed to knock this out of the park. Instead, the company turned in a borderline incompetent smartphone that I really had to force myself to use during the review period.
Ouch.

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
Can I just say, I'd kill for a bog-standard Android phone with just ONE of those 4:3 screens. I'm pretty sure their aspect ratio makes those 5.6 inch screens larger than my Galaxy's 6.4 inch screen. Would make a world of a difference for books.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
I imported my SD into the uk on launch and are still really digging it. its a little buggy still but its very helpful to work on the go.

anyone else ?

I still have mine, use it everyday for work. I would say it is very buggy, at least to me, but really really good at multitasking. I have a specific work flow that I have that it working for me. Really like the phone, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
This surface duo device is a mess due to horrible software etc. I'm better off with my LG Velvet with Dual Screen for my foldable needs until Samsung gives me everything I need in a foldable device (Microsd card support, pen support, waterproof, and peace of mind if I drop it)

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

meddow

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2017
This surface duo device is a mess due to horrible software etc. I'm better off with my LG Velvet with Dual Screen for my foldable needs until Samsung gives me everything I need in a foldable device (Microsd card support, pen support, waterproof, and peace of mind if I drop it)
yea the software has really gotten worse on mine atm.

hopefully they will patch it!

stll love it though! wish apple would do somthig like this!

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Apparently the Surface Duo is coming to more markets next year, we will be getting it here in the UK. After seeing some of the issues that people have had, I'm not sure if I will get it. I do really like the look of it tho and what it can do but I'm not sure it will replace my iPhone.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Apparently the Surface Duo is coming to more markets next year, we will be getting it here in the UK. After seeing some of the issues that people have had, I'm not sure if I will get it. I do really like the look of it tho and what it can do but I'm not sure it will replace my iPhone.
Same here. Hoping for an improved second generation, because I really love the base concept.

Reactions: Dave245

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
As much as I love the Surface team’s hardware designs, they seem to be flailing now. They have had way more misses than hits and their track record of poor QA and shockingly buggy software is completely unacceptable.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Same here. Hoping for an improved second generation, because I really love the base concept.
Apparently the Surface Duo will launch as early as next month (February) here in the UK and Europe. There is also talk of a black version launching, but I’m not sure if that will be at the same time.

According to a few leakers on the Microsoft side, Surface Duo 2 will launch at the back end of this year (2021). It will be interesting to see what they improve on, so far it seems like the software is the major thing that needs improvement, that’s something that can be done with updates rather than a gen 2.

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
I bought the Surface Duo last month as my work phone through one of those “commercial demo” deals for around $750.

At that price it’s worth putting up with some of the teething pain. One use case for me is having email open on one side and skype on the other. But as I’ve been pretty much planted at home I’m not taking many calls on it yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.