Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I bought the Surface Duo last month as my work phone through one of those “commercial demo” deals for around $750.

At that price it’s worth putting up with some of the teething pain. One use case for me is having email open on one side and skype on the other. But as I’ve been pretty much planted at home I’m not taking many calls on it yet.
What is battery life like on the Duo? also is there a way to keep the Surface pen attached to the Duo when you are on the go?

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
What is battery life like on the Duo? also is there a way to keep the Surface pen attached to the Duo when you are on the go?

Battery life is just average for me, but still get through the day. Use others phones as well though, so not sure it would get through the day as a primary device. The Surface pen can attach magnetically to the edge of the Duo, it will hold, but not a great hold, still have to be careful it doesn't get knocked off, but better than nothing.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Battery life is just average for me, but still get through the day. Use others phones as well though, so not sure it would get through the day as a primary device. The Surface pen can attach magnetically to the edge of the Duo, it will hold, but not a great hold, still have to be careful it doesn't get knocked off, but better than nothing.
Ok thank you!

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
Ditto for me. The slim pen sticks better than the regular surface pen.

Battery life is ok but I haven’t pushed it yet.

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
And it's coming to the UK on 18th Feb...starting at £1349.

Microsoft is sure to sell tens of these.
I was looking forward to the Duo coming to the UK, however at that starting price, it's ridiculous. The 256GB version is £1,449 that is absurd for a device that has been out in the US since last year! There is no way in hell I'm buying one at that price.

I will probably wait for version 2 or 3 instead.

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
Interesting device, once it ships with the next Windows (currently code named Windows10X) or a Google Free Android and doesn’t cost almost 1500$ over here...

The biggest hardware limitations of the Duo Gen1 (No NFC, terrible camera, old specs when released) are rumored to be solved with the Duo Gen2, possibly coming later this year (October-ish).

I’d love to have a pocketable cellular mobile device that I can dock for a full desktop experience on an external monitor.

Unfortunately cellular iPad (Mini) are artificially limited/gimped for cellular calls/SIM services ?
An iPadOS does not offer screen resolutionexternal monitor support.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Does it interact with windows "your phone" the same way samsung phones do?

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
You know I've been thinking of getting a Surface Duo now that it's $300 and that the software issues got fixed. I've been hearing the Duo is actually really good now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.