Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
We discuss Android because this forum is "Alternatives to iOS & iOS devices" which mean anything but iOS. It's pretty sad to see that some iOS users don't understand that.

The section was just made for that reason...:rolleyes: this thread was in the iphone section before.:eek:

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
While this is true that Apple usually adds extra features later than say Google, I think it also doesn't give Apple credit for the level of polish that goes into its products.
I have to disagree with you here. Take Apple's notifications for example. To put it bluntly, they are still awful. It isn't polished at all, it's incomplete. It doesn't even give you a static notification, so if you don't address the notification at the time it comes in, you can possibly forget it's there....which defeats the whole purpose of having a notification center to begin with. Siri is also a good example. Siri was full of issues, but we kept getting the "it's still in beta" excuse...yet it was touting as the "killer fetaure" in the 4S.
Another more recent example is Apple Maps. There's nothing polished about it at all. It is so devoid of information it's sad. There is so much in Apple Maps that should be labeled but is not. It is an incomplete project. There's nothing polished about it.

My opinion is that generally apple has more reliable software/hardware (ie it just works) and for me often I place more value on that than on having a bunch of incremental features beyond the basics.
I have to disagree. iOS has bugs just like any other OS. Just a quick look around the iPhone forum illustrates that. As for the hardware, the iPhone has had problems just like any other phone has. Cracking, defective home buttons, proximity sensor issues, and reception problems have all been defects seen in iPhones over the last couple years. They are not infallible, and have their own issues just like any other manufacturer.

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
I have to disagree with you here. Take Apple's notifications for example. To put it bluntly, they are still awful. It isn't polished at all, it's incomplete. It doesn't even give you a static notification, so if you don't address the notification at the time it comes in, you can possibly forget it's there....which defeats the whole purpose of having a notification center to begin with. Siri is also a good example. Siri was full of issues, but we kept getting the "it's still in beta" excuse...yet it was touting as the "killer fetaure" in the 4S.
Another more recent example is Apple Maps. There's nothing polished about it at all. It is so devoid of information it's sad. There is so much in Apple Maps that should be labeled but is not. It is an incomplete project. There's nothing polished about it.

I have to disagree. iOS has bugs just like any other OS. Just a quick look around the iPhone forum illustrates that. As for the hardware, the iPhone has had problems just like any other phone has. Cracking, defective home buttons, proximity sensor issues, and reception problems have all been defects seen in iPhones over the last couple years. They are not infallible, and have their own issues just like any other manufacturer.

The whole maps thing is making me think apple is becoming to complacent in their position.

Honza

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
SF Bay Area

I'm not saying that apple is perfect, but rather I think it's a good generalization. Yes, Siri was a beta feature, and it was very surprising for apple. But consumer reports regularly includes apple products among the most reliable consumer electronics, for example. I would have to disagree with the notifications. Yeah, the notification, "goes away" from the lockscreen when you open it, but it's always in the notification center. Android doesn't even have it in the lock screen to begin with (to the effect I stated previously), so the only real difference is the little icon in the status bar on android. I don't think it's incomplete, just a different way of doing things. I could call Android incomplete for the lack of adequate lockscreen notifications, but I don't think it applies to either. Just a different philosophy I guess. I prefer iOS's way of notifications, personally.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I'm not saying that apple is perfect, but rather I think it's a good generalization. Yes, Siri was a beta feature, and it was very surprising for apple. But consumer reports regularly includes apple products among the most reliable consumer electronics, for example. I would have to disagree with the notifications. Yeah, the notification, "goes away" from the lockscreen when you open it, but it's always in the notification center. Android doesn't even have it in the lock screen to begin with (to the effect I stated previously), so the only real difference is the little icon in the status bar on android. I don't think it's incomplete, just a different way of doing things. I could call Android incomplete for the lack of adequate lockscreen notifications, but I don't think it applies to either. Just a different philosophy I guess. I prefer iOS's way of notifications, personally.
But if you did call it that you'd be wrong. No matter if I choose to address a notification at a later point, it is still available while I am on my lockscreen. Now if you want to nitpick and say you want info displayed on the lockscreen, then you can do that too. The difference is, in iOS if I don't address the notification immediately, then I have to remember to address it later as I will not have any sort of indicator to remind me (unless that app has an icon that shows a number, and I happen to be looking at that icon). That is a problem. The whole point of a notification system is to notify you. It does no good if it only notifies me once and goes away. If I'm watching a video, often times I won't stop to respond to a text message. On the Android platform, when I finish with that video, I'll still have an icon at the top of my screen that tells me I have a text waiting for me. On iOS, if I didn't address that text when it came in, there is nothing to remind me I have a text message. I either have to remember I have a text, and then go to it, or hope I happen to the the text app icon with a number on it. That is an incomplete solution and it is in great need of improvement. If I have to make sure I remember my notifications, then the notification system has failed.

Honza

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
SF Bay Area
But if you did call it that you'd be wrong. No matter if I choose to address a notification at a later point, it is still available while I am on my lockscreen. Now if you want to nitpick and say you want info displayed on the lockscreen, then you can do that too. The difference is, in iOS if I don't address the notification immediately, then I have to remember to address it later as I will not have any sort of indicator to remind me (unless that app has an icon that shows a number, and I happen to be looking at that icon). That is a problem. The whole point of a notification system is to notify you. It does no good if it only notifies me once and goes away. If I'm watching a video, often times I won't stop to respond to a text message. On the Android platform, when I finish with that video, I'll still have an icon at the top of my screen that tells me I have a text waiting for me. On iOS, if I didn't address that text when it came in, there is nothing to remind me I have a text message. I either have to remember I have a text, and then go to it, or hope I happen to the the text app icon with a number on it. That is an incomplete solution and it is in great need of improvement. If I have to make sure I remember my notifications, then the notification system has failed.

I forgot to mention the badges that serve as reminders that you have notifications. But in any case, it's just semantics at this point, and who thinks what is incomplete is irrelevant. Some people prefer iOS style and some prefer Android.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
JB will show more info on each notification, just like iOS, plus having options to call, snooze, share, comment and anything the developer wants.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
There are apps you can get for notifications on the lockscreen. Im not sure what you want to see but there is:
Simply lockscreen, Go Locker-ICS which is $1.00,lockscreen message (which looks like it is in chinese, dont know if it is in english, Executive assistant has a bunch of things and im not sure if it will put things on the lockscreen and it is $6.99,Notifier Pro plus which costs $2.63, there is one called WP7 Notifier that looks just like the Windows tiles($2.62), there is even one called iPhone notifications.

My point is, there are apps, you just have to look for what you want if it is out there. Just type in lockscreen info in the play store and those will come up.

Last edited:

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
There are apps you can get for notifications on the lockscreen. Im not sure what you want to see but there is:
Simply lockscreen, Go Locker-ICS which is $1.00,lockscreen message (which looks like it is in chinese, dont know if it is in english, Executive assistant has a bunch of things and im not sure if it will put things on the lockscreen and it is $6.99,Notifier Pro plus which costs $2.63, there is one called WP7 Notifier that looks just like the Windows tiles($2.62), there is even one called iPhone notifications.

My point is, there are apps, you just have to look for what you want if it is out there. Just type in lockscreen info in the play store and those will come up.

I think that's what turns some people off. That in order to get some notifications in the lock screen you need a buy an app depending on what skin of android you have.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I think that's what turns some people off. That in order to get some notifications in the lock screen you need a buy an app depending on what skin of android you have.

Some cost, some dont. Its no different than iTunes. Some apps cost there, some dont. I dont see the big deal and i may be wrong but dont you have to jailbreak your iPhone to get those on the lockscreen?

I know i did back in the day.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Some cost, some dont. Its no different than iTunes. Some apps cost there, some dont. I dont see the big deal and i may be wrong but dont you have to jailbreak your iPhone to get those on the lockscreen?

I know i did back in the day.

Maybe before ios5, but after ios5 you had all notifications on the lock screen

Honza

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
SF Bay Area

I don't know all of those apps, but I did look up several of them, and I know that they do not put the notifications (from what app and what the notification is) on the lockscreen. So it seems that you don't know what those apps do, but rather just typed in notifications on the market and spouted out a bunch of apps. Not really very helpful.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I don't know all of those apps, but I did look up several of them, and I know that they do not put the notifications (from what app and what the notification is) on the lockscreen. So it seems that you don't know what those apps do, but rather just typed in notifications on the market and spouted out a bunch of apps. Not really very helpful.

In a sense they do put notifications on the lock screen but the whole premise of most of those apps are that they are alternate lock screens. They don't put notifications onto the stock lock screen and replace the stock lock screen when enabled.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
In a sense they do put notifications on the lock screen but the whole premise of most of those apps are that they are alternate lock screens. They don't put notifications onto the stock lock screen and replace the stock lock screen when enabled.

Did you look at the apps? Yes they do. I just dont what he wants. A number badge by his SMS and missed calls or to be able to read a couple sentences from an email?
I think i would download a free one or spend $1.00 and try it. Maybe read the comments first by others who have tried it and liked it to see exactly what it does.
One advantage of Android :D

And yes, some put custom lock screens on if you like that sort of thing. I know you dont, but some do.

Last edited:

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012

What's your obsession with stock? Although I guess that's logical for someone who has always used iOS. One of the biggest disparities between iOS and Android is customization. And I daresay that if you don't like customization, Android isn't for you. If you get a high end Android phone, you are meant to customize it. That's the whole point. Stock may be great and all, and stock may not compare to iOS at times. But after you customize it, you get that much more from Android.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

I though you defended the use of 3rd party apps. Every time iGentleman told you about Android stock features that iOS doesn't have you always mentioned 3rd party apps like Bump...

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
What's your obsession with stock? Although I guess that's logical for someone who has always used iOS. One of the biggest disparities between iOS and Android is customization. And I daresay that if you don't like customization, Android isn't for you. If you get a high end Android phone, you are meant to customize it. That's the whole point. Stock may be great and all, and stock may not compare to iOS at times. But after you customize it, you get that much more from Android.

I've had 3 Android devices for a total of 2 and a half years. I haven't "always used iOS".

----------

I though you defended the use of 3rd party apps. Every time iGentleman told you about Android stock features that iOS doesn't have you always mentioned 3rd party apps like Bump...

Yeah, for features iOS didn't have built in.

Honza

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
SF Bay Area

What's the obsession with customizing? By which I mean, if the stock phone has the features you want, wouldn't you prefer it over a phone you have to install 3rd party apps to get the same functionality? Customizing for the sake of customizing isn't a feature, it's the end features that matter. And if you have to do it yourself I would say thats a negative. I mean it's like who gets home from ikea and is like "oh man I can't wait to spend an hour putting this together!"

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
What's the obsession with customizing? By which I mean, if the stock phone has the features you want, wouldn't you prefer it over a phone you have to install 3rd party apps to get the same functionality? Customizing for the sake of customizing isn't a feature, it's the end features that matter. And if you have to do it yourself I would say thats a negative. I mean it's like who gets home from ikea and is like "oh man I can't wait to spend an hour putting this together!"

yes and no. A lot of people like to personalize and make the phone there own. Ideally the phone has the features you want to customize available w/o a third party app but third party apps can fill in the gaps and can also speed up innovation.

Honza

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
SF Bay Area
yes and no. A lot of people like to personalize and make the phone there own. Ideally the phone has the features you want to customize available w/o a third party app but third party apps can fill in the gaps and can also speed up innovation.

And that's what makes sense, it just seems like some people want to fiddle with their phones for the sake of fiddling with it.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
What's the obsession with customizing?

There is no "obsession" with customization--not in the way I used the word to address batting1000. His comments implied that customization, meaning anything that's not stock, is bad. There is nothing wrong with staying with stock. The same way there is nothing wrong with wanting to customize your phone.

By which I mean, if the stock phone has the features you want, wouldn't you prefer it over a phone you have to install 3rd party apps to get the same functionality?

I just want to point out that iOS relies much more on 3rd party apps than Android, hence why iOS apps make more money...

If you want to continue this train of thought, then you'll effectively be arguing for Android, which means I'll have to argue for iOS :p

Customizing for the sake of customizing isn't a feature, it's the end features that matter. And if you have to do it yourself I would say thats a negative. I mean it's like who gets home from ikea and is like "oh man I can't wait to spend an hour putting this together!"
I never said customization was a feature. It's more like a hobby. You know how some people like souping up their cars? Same thing with Android. Who are you to tell them that it's a "bad thing"? Sure, you may not like it, but at least have enough awareness for your surroundings to realize that not everyone has the same interests as you.

I've had 3 Android devices for a total of 2 and a half years. I haven't "always used iOS".
Sorry for the assumption. Regardless, my point still stands.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009

Using myself as a prime example I will tell you that just something as simple as easily fetching wallpapers and ringtones/sms notifications for free is the start. I am not flashing any ROMs or haven't rooted my GS3, HOWEVER, one small simple feature I am enjoying the hell out of, is being able to put my icons wherever I want on the screen. Therefore I can have a decent amount of apps on the screen AND still enjoy the nice wallpaper which compliments my phone. Yes, that is right! The fact that I can have all of my apps tucked away in an app drawer and not cluttering up my "desk top" is very enjoyable and makes my phone feel unique to me with very little effort.

Customizing your phone doesn't always revolve around launchers and ROMs.

On a side note, who would have known I would like my back button so much now?? I was helping my mom with my old iP4 (now her new iP4) and I was like... where is the damn back button??

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
On a side note, who would have known I would like my back button so much now?? I was helping my mom with my old iP4 (now her new iP4) and I was like... where is the damn back button??

Yeah. The back button is easily one of the main virtues of Android. It's so easy and fast to exit apps or go back to a previous one.

I hated using the hardware home button to exit apps in iOS.

Apple should introduce a capacitive button on the iPhone. Just do it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.