Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelscarn

macrumors member
May 25, 2021
Switched to T-Mobile in July 2022 because Verizon service was slipping and no longer worth the premium. We're on the Essentials plan, but will probably switch providers again if T-Mobile is forcing customers to get the most expensive plans for upgrades and promos. Even with my company discount, the Essentials plan is significantly cheaper than Magenta Max. We don't need/want any of the extras.

Looks like other providers have the same strategy, and are now stretching promos from 24 to 36 months. Am I leasing a car, or financing a phone? 😂 Seems like the best option is to buy the phone outright (if possible) and connect to a MVNO. Any promo savings are erased by 2-3 years of being locked in an expensive plan. I'm done being "married" to cell providers like the nutcases with Verizon credit cards... 🙄

Reactions: dmccombs and Brad7

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
So if I'm reading the fine print on the Apple trade in page correctly, can I trade in my 13 for a 15 and NOT pay anything or do I need to switch to a more expensive plan in order to not pay for an EIP?

The legal-ese on these promos always induces a migraine and I'm sure that's intentional on their part...😑

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 6.50.53 AM.png

HeyMazza

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2022
Baltimore, MD
Tmo is really pushing everyone hard to their new plans 😆

No good deals for those on older plans
And that's sad. Long-time customer's should actually be benefiting more in my opinion. Unless the One Plan trumps all offers. I am going to reach out and see what they say.

HeyMazza

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2022
Baltimore, MD
So if I'm reading the fine print on the Apple trade in page correctly, can I trade in my 13 for a 15 and NOT pay anything or do I need to switch to a more expensive plan in order to not pay for an EIP?

The legal-ese on these promos always induces a migraine and I'm sure that's intentional on their part...😑

View attachment 2260777
That is a good question.... idk.

I also did the same thing to see if I could just pay for the balance outright. and this is what I got:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 105546.png

PixelsMaster

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Has anyone switched to the new Go5G Next Plan yet? If so, did you need to do it with a live person or could you do it right online?
I just went through T-Force on Twitter yesterday. Set to switch on my next billing period. If I recall correctly, I still qualify for the new promos because I’ve got a pending plan change within so many days.

Last edited:
Reactions: selmy

PixelsMaster

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

View attachment 2260777
Before selecting T-Mobile as the financing option, there’s a “See details” link that indicates max trade-in value and promos are only available to Go5G Plus customers.

Jodeykstarks

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2021
Before selecting T-Mobile as the financing option, there’s a “See details” link that indicates max trade-in value and promos are only available to Go5G Plus customers.
Plus or NEXT? I thought NEXT was the highest tier in this plan.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2012
Is there any offer from any carrier that doesn’t require trade-in of the old device?

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
So they're essentially forcing customers to switch to higher priced plans in order to take advantage of the promos...

I also just finished chatting with an Apple rep who said I would have to talk to T-Mobile directly about upgrading since my plan doesn't exist any longer.

I can live with my 13 for another year...

PixelsMaster

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
So they're essentially forcing customers to switch to higher priced plans in order to take advantage of the promos...

I also just finished chatting with an Apple rep who said I would have to talk to T-Mobile directly about upgrading since my plan doesn't exist any longer.

I can live with my 13 for another year...

Basically. That’s been their MO since Magenta, if I recall correctly. I ended up switching because it made sense for my situation (lots of promos). They even came out with the newer NEXT plan that will probably be a requirement in future launches (assuming they don’t make up newer, more expensive plans by then).

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I plan on trading in my girlfriends 12pm and giving her my 14pm. Can I pay what’s left after the trade in at once or do I have to pay it with my bill for 24 months?
Trade-ins generally require paying off the phone at trade in.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Tmo is really pushing everyone hard to their new plans 😆

No good deals for those on older plans

All carriers are trying to get people off of grandfathered in plans. I have the OG Magenta and with my discounts switching to a deal would raise my price so much that I could payoff a PM in less than 12 months and have be unlocked from Day 1. The only way it would make any sense if could get $1000 per line for 6 lines with trade in, then the extra cost of the plan over 24 months is a lot less than the trade in value.

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Are you talking about the 12pm I plan on trading in? It’s paid off. I was asking if the remaining balance of the 15pm can be paid at once or does it have to be added to my bill for 24 months.

TMob, unlike other providers, apparently will keep paying you the bill credits as long as you keep the account open after paying off the device; at least they used to. You may need to wait until the credits start showing up. As always, check with TMob and carefully read the T&Cs if you intend to do that.

Zippy3505

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Indiana
I’m on Tmo. My current strategy is to not trade in, but sell my wife and my phone on eBay or Swappa. Pay for new phones outright through Apple. One with cash, one in a credit card, then use money from selling the two phones pay off credit card. I’m on Magenta Max 55+. It would be at least $60 more per month just for the “best” Tmo plan.

Reactions: Bcarraher

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
So, us Simple Choice customers are SOL, it appears?

TLDR:

Starting this Friday, September 15, new and existing T-Mobile customers, can choose from the following offers:

• Get iPhone 15 Pro on Us (or up to $1000 off any iPhone 15 model) when trading in an eligible device on Go5G Plus or Go5G Next.
  • Get up to $650 off any iPhone 15 model on Magenta MAX, $350 off on Go5G and Magenta and $200 off on almost all other T-Mobile plans when trading in an eligible device.
  • Pick up any iPhone 15 model and get $700 off the second one when adding a line on almost all T-Mobile plans.
  • Pick up any new Apple Watch and get $300 off the second when adding a new watch line.
Am I reading this wrong??

So only $200 off if you are on the grandfathered Simple Choice plans, AND you want my iPhone 13 Pro Max that is mint condition????

GTFOH!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.