Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquanutz

macrumors regular
I don't believe that age has anything to do with what language to learn.... I recommend learning C++, that's just becuas I learned VB first and I did not actually learn the methodology of programing until I was in college coding in c++. I would reocommned doing the first few programs with your son; like the "hello world" apps and then if he likes it, he'll eventually pick up the ball and run at his own pace. If he doesn't like it, then he'll stop and you'll know that it isn't for him. Let me him decide. Developing is something that takes a lot of time and can be quite difficult, but if he does catch on and like it, that's amzing. :-D

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I think all children should learn to program on an old Honeywell mainframe with teletype terminals and paper tapes, just like I did in the 7th grade back in 1980... once you actually get good at BASIC and you realize what a pain in the ass it is to have to debug code in your head, since each run of the program takes so long to perform, you'll realize how good we have it nowadays. ;)

khammack

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2004
Portland, OR
I'm a bit late to this, hopefully not too late to be relevant.

Don't underestimate your child's capacity to learn algebra. I taught myself to program with BASIC in 3rd grade. Part of how I learned was by copying program listings from magazines and modifying them. When I came in contact with math that I didn't understand, I taught that to myself as well. I learned algebra from my older brother's textbook.

I was lucky, because I had an excellent book to learn from. It was the book that accompanied my Radio Shack Color Computer 2. If you can get your hands on one of those, you might have a look at it for your curriculum planning.

My recommendations for languages:

Logo http://www.alancsmith.co.uk/logo/
Scheme http://www.drscheme.org/
Python http://www.python.org

I'd say they are written in order of least "real world" usable to most useful. Personally, I think I'd use scheme for my own kid (if I had one). Or perhaps start with logo, move to scheme, then python. The three will give him a very wide perspective of the world of programming.

Stay away from C. If your son is really into programming, he'll pick up C eventually. C is notoriously tedius to program with. It was the 5th or 6th language I learned, and it still is among my least favorite to use. I only use it because often there is no choice, and even then I often use python to build prototypes.

But learning languages like those listed above will give him a higher level and broader perspective, and perhaps most importantly faster results. When I was learning, fast results kept me interested. If I got stuck on something for too long, I'd quit and play with legos or something.

-kev

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
If your kid is pretty bright i would recommend deitel's (http://www.deitel.com) C++ How to program. It really is a great book. They start from the very bare bone basics and work their way up to advanced concepts. Though i have to admit i've never worked with trying to teach kids programing.

You also may want to get him started on a basic algebra book. So he can have some understanding of what a variable is.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
witness said:
I agree with most of the comments here; C is a difficult language to start with, it requires a detailed understanding of how computers work.

If you want to start with a modern language then I'd suggest C# (mono on OS X) or Java.

But for children I'd recommend a Lego Robotics Invention System . The software from Lego is Windows only, but there are lots of people out there who have created non-windows versions. Your child can learn to program using Java or C or similar languages and control robots at the same time. I have one of these sets and they are great.

I have that. I use NQC on a mac. Mine has RS232, so I had to make anadaptor , however the USB version is out now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.