Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
I believe the bit about Apple TV+

But I notice more young people switching to Apple Music from Spotify. Maybe that's anecdotal.

In the end though, Spotify offers an option to stream for free and Apple Music doesn't. So people with not a lot of money will mostly go with the free option. If Apple really wants to compete with Spotify, they should introduce an ad-supported tier

Also Apple Music is an absolute mess

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
spotify is slowly killing themselves by raising prices while moving more previously free features behind their paid tier. i see more moving over to apple music in the future.
I’m not a teen and have Spotify and Apple Music.

Spotify is just hands down the better UI in every way.

I only use Apple if I need a high res version of a song. Once Spotify brings in a high res option (if ever) I’ll ditch Apple Music.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I'm surprised at the level of vitriol being leveled at Apple Music.

Because everyone has their own things they find important and the preferences by which they make their decisions. I absolutely can't stand Apple's "spatial" nonsense. It destroys music, as far as I'm concerned. I respect that you feel differently—Indeed, Apple Music would be a great service for you with your preferences. For me, I see it as Apple wasting time on features I don't want and won't use. So I'm going to criticize their product for pushing in that direction.

We have different needs and wants, and thankfully there are different services to take our money. But I will never, ever choose Apple anything just because it's Apple.

kurtfoster

Contributor
Mar 8, 2009
Does anyone actually love Apple Music? Or do we all just put up with it? After the Apple Podcasts app it's the slowest, buggiest app on my phone. And the experience only gets worse when I use it with a HomePod.

It's bundled with Apple One so I can't justify paying for Spotify, but I truly find it barely usable, and I've spent more hours troubleshooting it than I care to think about.
I don’t love Apple Music, but it integrates nicely with my existing iTunes library. I’m much prefer Spotify for curating playlists that I like.

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
spotify is slowly killing themselves by raising prices while moving more previously free features behind their paid tier. i see more moving over to apple music in the future.
I’m older, but I gave up satellite radio after trying out a 6 month trial of Apple Music.

It’s been an absolute revelation. And, it’s only $109 for a year.

telo123

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2021
It's not like the DOJ lawsuit will make any difference in teen's buying iPhones now. The hold is too strong, lol.
Such a money grab lol.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Because everyone has their own things they find important and the preferences by which they make their decisions. I absolutely can't stand Apple's "spatial" nonsense. It destroys music, as far as I'm concerned. I respect that you feel differently—Indeed, Apple Music would be a great service for you with your preferences. For me, I see it as Apple wasting time on features I don't want and won't use. So I'm going to criticize their product for pushing in that direction.

We have different needs and wants, and thankfully there are different services to take our money.
You can turn off the Spatial Audio features in settings so it only ever plays stereo. I'm not surprised that other people value different features than I do, but I am surprised that so many people seem to hate Apple Music or say it's a badly designed app. That's been the exact opposite of my experience. I'm not using Apple Music in spite of bad design, I'm using it because it's well designed and makes accessing music easy.

Maybe Spotify has a thousand times better UI, I don't know. I hear lots of love for Spotify Connect which does seem like a cool feature. But I stopped using Spotify when alternatives appeared on the scene that paid artists better than Spotify does (to be clear, none of these services pay artists enough, but Spotify pays the worst).

leoplan2

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2024
sorry to burst your bubble but indeed Youtube Music is also a favorite of Gen Z, not AM

Source:

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Maybe Spotify has a thousand times better UI, I don't know. I hear lots of love for Spotify Connect which does seem like a cool feature. But I stopped using Spotify when alternatives appeared on the scene that paid artists better than Spotify does (to be clear, none of these services pay artists enough, but Spotify pays the worst).

It's a million little things for me. Apple Music is label and album centric, Spotify is social playlist centric. I prefer Spotify's UI/UX vastly over the Music app. I prefer Spotify's recommendation algorithms. And yes, Spotify Connect is kind of awesome (although not that different than AirPlay, really). Many of the artists I follow who no longer release tracks in an album format will release new tracks and remixes to Spotify and YouTube first, and Apple Music later, if at all.

None of this may matter to other people, and I don't presume to speak for anyone but myself. The one thing about Apple Music that does make me jealous is Apple Music Classical—Spotify is... challenging to use for that type of music, absolutely. But for that, at least, I can fall back to my ripped collection. It's not enough to make me want to switch.

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2020
51.531011,-0.023979
I actually like Music. However, controls are still hidden, like repeat and shuffle. Also, album, EP, compilation and single are all over the place. And the years they were released are wrong a lot of the times. It is even more of a mess with music videos. They need people who take music seriously to fix these issues as they are easy to.

As for tv+, I don’t think the teen demographic is what Apple is going for. This seems to be slowly changing with shows like Monarch: Legacy Of Monsters, H/jack and movies like The Family Plan and Argylle.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
It's a million little things for me. Apple Music is label and album centric, Spotify is social playlist centric. I prefer Spotify's UI/UX vastly over the Music app. I prefer Spotify's recommendation algorithms. And yes, Spotify Connect is kind of awesome (although not that different than AirPlay, really). Many of the artists I follow who no longer release tracks in an album format will release new tracks and remixes to Spotify and YouTube first, and Apple Music later, if at all.

None of this may matter to other people, and I don't presume to speak for anyone but myself. The one thing about Apple Music that does make me jealous is Apple Music Classical—Spotify is... challenging to use for that type of music, absolutely. But for that, at least, I can fall back to my ripped collection. It's not enough to make me want to switch.
That makes sense. I listen to albums first and playlists are a distant second, so I can see why Spotify appeals to you more and Apple Music more to me.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
I thought teens were smarter, it should be 100% use iPhone and Watch.

2/3 of teens choose Spotify or 2/3 teens are boring. I tried Spotify a couple of years ago, it was boring playlists.

TV+ is too good for most teens.

• Wow
Reactions: SidricTheViking

Armada2

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
You don't need to ask teens whether they like Apple Music or Apple TV+, they could have just asked in here and it would be the same answer.. :)

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Apple TV+ is not popular with teen audiences, and less than five percent of teens said they watch it on a daily basis
That 5% teen is lying or just randomly click on survey. Ain’t nothing on AppleTv+ to watch on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlayUltimate

Terrinb

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
Does anyone actually love Apple TV+?

It's better than at launch, by far, but it's the lightest platform of all. The content is stagnant.

I think most people who have TV+ also have another service, let it be cable or Netflix or Disney or HBO. And I think most people try to limit themselves to 1 subscription at a time.

So all in all, Apple TV+ is not a desirable service.

-

As for Apple Music, there's no free tier. I didn't have any money when I was a teenager and it was impossible to get a credit card before 18. I suspect this is why they go with Spotify by default. Spotify then becomes a trend amongst teenagers and then the trend is almost irreversible.
Apple TV is the only media player I use. I primarily use Netflix. Amazon Prime, and HBO. I like it.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
You can turn off the Spatial Audio features in settings so it only ever plays stereo. I'm not surprised that other people value different features than I do, but I am surprised that so many people seem to hate Apple Music or say it's a badly designed app. That's been the exact opposite of my experience. I'm not using Apple Music in spite of bad design, I'm using it because it's well designed and makes accessing music easy.

I'm glad to hear it works for you. I wish it would work for me.

There's a lot of considerations for a music app, to be sure. But my problems are fundamental: just playing music.

For example, if I download an album to play on a plane, I don't want an error message when I try to play it in Airplane mode. Or, when I have friends over and I'm playing music over my HomePods, I don't want it to stop playing randomly every 15-30 minutes.

I've gone through the hassle of contacting Apple Support and following their steps, like uninstalling and reinstalling the app (what else can you do these days, really?) but the issues always return. I have an entirely Apple ecosystem with current hardware, so I can't imagine my negative experience with Apple Music is unique.

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Hope this finally gets the QC team to go over Apple Music with a fine tooth comb. The UX is horrible and AM on Mac feels like death by a thousand paper cuts. 😫

Reactions: dustin_

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
"less than five percent of teens said they watch it on a daily basis. Comparatively, over 30 percent of teens watch Netflix regularly"

Are 30% of teens watching Netflix daily or just regularly? If that's not daily, it's not fair to compare to "daily" watching of Apple TV+. If the Netflix is daily, that should be clarified in the article.
I'll update the wording to be more clear. I thought regularly would suggest daily given the context (and I didn't want to use daily x2 in the sentence), but I made it confusing. Sorry about that.

Reactions: neuropsychguy

dustin_

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2021
Banderas Bay, Mexico
sorry to burst your bubble but indeed Youtube Music is also a favorite of Gen Z, not AM

Source:
you're not bursting any bubble, buddy. it's not surprising to me to hear that youtube music is a favorite - especially w it being included w youtube premium. i love not watching ads on youtube, but don't care for yt music myself.

Last edited:

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I use Apple Music and I like the music part of it, ya know the songs sound good and the library is exhaustive. But the user interface just sucks, Spotify isn't amazing in this department either but its better than Apple Music. I do wish Apple would bring out like a Music 2.0 visual refresh.

I mainly use Apple Music on my Mac inside the Music app and it's so unresponsive. Like even just playing an actual song takes quite a while and I have 10Gb fiber internet etc - It just yeah, needs work. It doesn't feel as fast or as fluid as the iPhone does so I'm not surprised teens don't like it as much.

I kinda feel that making the app just a web browser was a mistake. It should have been a native app that uses an API to obtain content so everything was near-instant. Them rendering entire web pages with all the content for every page load it just .. well .. sucks.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
They certainly plan to ask their parents for one.

My nieces are adept at begging for upgrades. As soon as they hear you've got a new phone, they want your old one as a hand-me-down!

(apparantely, the dividing line between a desirable and undesirable iPhone for them right now is whether the camera can support the support the 0.5x macro mode!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.