Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Further proof that Apple's services strategy is failing and any growth is purely dependent on massive device install base where people use it because they already have other Apple services. Unless that IS Apple's services strategy in which case I would be equally concerned that they just accept subpar services knowing they will sell anyways.

magusxxx

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2009
Why I don't like Apple TV app - Years ago I used the movie player on the phone to watch stuff I downloaded from YouTube. Had no problem. Fast forward to last year when I was going on a trip. I found out I had to download and transfer them to Apple TV. The files I transferred were episodes of a television show in this name format....

1 - Love Is All Around
2 - Today I Am a Ma'am
3 - Bess, You Is My Daughter Now, etc., etc..

Less than two hours later a forum I go to suggestively advertised Amazon selling Mary Tyler Moore DVDs.

Seriously??? Their algorithm could identify the show based on the episode titles??? And then transfer that information to Amazon and...in less than two hours?!?!!?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
and close to 30 percent watch YouTube
Well this finally explains why YouTube has been turning more into TikTok lately. I had no idea so few teens watch YouTube. I just assumed most of them did because it’s like the default video player of the internet. I guess TikTok is taking over that spot.

I hate that because vertical videos and creators forced into shoving content into a minute long clip. I prefer medium to long form content where I’m not just zombie scrolling—I’m often getting meaningful knowledge or skill upgrades from the video.

frownface

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2020
It's been awhile since i was a teen; but artsy films/shows with high quality production values that apple seem to be known for didn't interest me anywhere near as much as stuff like lots of explosions and cool fights.

Appreciate that apple tries to go for highbrow, oscar winning content; but that's not really going to appeal to an average teenager.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
How about Teens loves decent / great products and not crappy products.
🤣 Not when teens put Shein in 4th place for their top clothing brand or Shein and Temu for their top shopping websites.

SheinTemu.png

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Turns out people of all ages love good products. People are generally self interested, and will pick the best products that serve their interests. Translation: make the best products. This thinking is what gave Apple the success it enjoys today.

Reactions: mech986

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
🤣 Not when teens put Shein in 4th place for their top clothing brand or Shein and Temu for their top shopping websites.

View attachment 2367167
Temu is a compelling experience. It's the best gamified shopping app to date, and while the products themselves are hit or miss, nobody can argue that they aren't incredibly inexpensive. Combine all those factors together and you have an eCommerce platform drawing attention away from incumbents.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Personally, I don’t know anyone who uses Apple Arcade. But that could be me. Apple keeps trying to give me a free trial but I don’t waste my time with computer/online gaming.
I have it as part of Apple One

use it occasionally - there’s definitely some games in there that are really good (for me), but also a lot of slightly tweaked free to play kind of games.

but I definitely don’t use it all the time. It can be fun so play a bit on a flight or at the airport or a train maybe. But otherwise I don’t really touch it

some I personally like(d)
- grindstone
- some the Sonic games (Sega) like the racing game
- The last campfire
- sneaky sasquatch
- most games from Ironhide (Tower Defense games mostly)

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Makes sense when Apple Music is embarrassingly bad. A buggy app and very poor recommendation features gives it a very barebones user experience compared to Spotify. And that is saying a lot since Spotify has a very poor track record for their app development.

Apple TV+ is also my least useful subscription since there’s almost nothing there to watch. There’s a few fun things we’ve watched but the average watch time is less than an hour per week.

apocalyarts

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2015
It's because Apple Music is lacking a lot of "party" features and it's not very "social". It's cumbersome to work on playlists, especially together with others, there are no fancy party modes

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
iPhones are definitely popular. As for the TV+ service, it was expected. TV+ does have some great content.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Apple Music comes across as MOR taste wise, with recommendations that are just plain bad if you taste isn’t squarely within a common genre.

And it’s UI is terrible with deep hierarchies of the various screens. And it’s stunning average on the Mac.

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
Translation: make the best products. This thinking is what gave Apple the success it enjoys today.
Best at marketing. Quality products. Most companies will give you the same or better level of product at the price point of Apple's lineup too.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I know this article is from the US, but I would imagine it is a similar story here in the UK. Apple TV and Apple Music aren't popular amongst my daughters friends and as an adult, I have found both services to be overpriced for what they are when alternatives exist that are more cost effective.

Teens here also have a healthy mix of iPhone and Android options. There isn't the weird snobbery aspect connected to iPhones here where you are judged via whether you have a blue or green bubble as standard SMS messaging is less in favour than WhatsApp for example. Teens group messaging will undoubtedly use WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger regardless of what phone each of them is using.

Reactions: arkitect

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
Apple Music is for people that value sound quality, content, and actually having a library. Spotify is basically for people that only listen to playlists, because their library management system is terrible.
Curious what's your take on Tidal, Amazon Music, Youtube Music etc. The superiority attitude gets old. Its okay to to admit Apple Music needs work or that you don't understand how to work other platforms.

I don't think any of the options do exceedingly well but I try not to take for granted that not long ago it was not possible to have access to unlimited full catalogs for a small fee.

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
Apple Music has become very cumbersome to use. I noticed via my own behaviour. They've made everything to stop you from using your own music and prefer to listen Apple Music service. It's fine, except that even using that service is cumbersome with UI. The gestes, the buttons and functionality make no sense. I used to use Music app prior to these grand changes, now I notice myself opening it less often and I don't miss it at all

Reactions: TheMountainLife

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
Spotify is so much better than AM, but Spotify shot themselves in the foot with not supporting Apple Watch streaming (out of spite) so I tried out AM platform. The Apple One bundle got me to stay.
I'm assuming this was awhile ago? Because I can definitely stream and save Spotify music offline on my Apple Watch over cellular or wifi.

When I had a Samsung watch in 2018 I was able to listen to Spotify from the watch speaker. Would be nice if Apple allowed that.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
They only dislike Apple Music because some of their friends have Spotify and that's a social sharing network.

I'm sure they will be liking Apple Music when the investors finally get fed up Spotify's losses and it tanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.