Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UnMix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
Just a quick question regarding the temps on my 4,1 under windows. MacsFanControl shows a lower cpu diode temp than HW monitor (and corsair's monitor) where they show different temps. I don't remember these two being different, but they are now at least. Which one should I be looking at?
cputemps2.PNG

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Just a quick question regarding the temps on my 4,1 under windows. MacsFanControl shows a lower cpu diode temp than HW monitor (and corsair's monitor) where they show different temps. I don't remember these two being different, but they are now at least. Which one should I be looking at? View attachment 843971
Well, I noticed difference between MFC Windows and Mac readings as well, and I don't know which one to trust

UnMix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
Well, I noticed difference between MFC Windows and Mac readings as well, and I don't know which one to trust
I noticed that, but I assumed that's just something with how things are managed. I know for sure on macOS MFC and iStat showed the same temps

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
It looks like HWMonitor can only display the “core to PCECI”. And MFC only display the highest "core to PCECI". Which both software unable to make it meaningful.
cputemps2.png

By comparing the heatsink temperature, and ambient temperature. The CPU diode temperature in MFC seems the more correct reading.

If in doubt, check the delta temperature between the CPU diode and heatsink in macOS. Then you should have better idea which one is the correct one in Windows.

Reactions: UnMix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.