Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Techman82

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2016
Is there any people seriously considering the note 9 this time round, it will have good hardware for sure with notable upgrades, s pen/4000mah/stereo speakers, probably other things as well, I've got an 8 plus and I'm just not sure if I'm digging the x design ( notch/home bar). X plus is just bigger and will be heavier for sure, the thing is that this is the direction apple is going now.

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
If you are big into Apple you’d probably miss the synchronization, if it’s just a stand alone product it would be an easy swap for a 12 month trial.

Techman82

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2016
The thing is that Apple was good at hardware and software, but now both are suffering, but over the last 2 years there is not much of a difference in speed to Android flagships, I mean is it really worth the upgrade for single core bragging rights, ios 12 not changed much sense ios 11, only notable things are notifications and the emoji thing for kids for next year at least. I mean what's actually better in current iPhones, it's not hardware, maybe software updates and the odd exclusive apps? Why am i thinking about a new X/X plus, for face Id that is not better than touch id and that bloody notch that bothers me before I even get an X/X plus?

Reactions: koigirl

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Smartphones are just a "piece of the puzzle" nowadays. You just don't get the phone, you get the tablet, speaker, tv box, computer, and smart appliances to work with them. Sadly this is what Apple is good at, the whole ecosystem. If you're a type of guy who likes to mix and match things together, and don't care about which brand goes where, well just pick any phone you like, iOS or Android, you can switch anytime.

Me? Well I can't. I'm already deep down into the rabbit hole. Getting out means I have to replace many things. Meh, rather just keep buying a new iPhone when I need one. Maybe for a second phone if I need it so badly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shanghaichica

Sackofnickels

Suspended
Jul 13, 2018
I'm guessing the whole eco system will someday be a thing of the past. With the advent of new software and cross platform programs it'a only a matter of time.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I'm guessing the whole eco system will someday be a thing of the past. With the advent of new software and cross platform programs it'a only a matter of time.

Well I hope, it's a good thing to have Siri and Apple Music to work with Google hardware, and vice versa. But Apple and Google is way too proud for that. And both are big enough to control the market, can't see that "utopia" happens anytime soon.

Techman82

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2016
Smartphones are just a "piece of the puzzle" nowadays. You just don't get the phone, you get the tablet, speaker, tv box, computer, and home appliances to work with them. Sadly this is what Apple is good at, the whole ecosystem If you're a type of guy who likes to mix and match things together, well just pick any phone you like, iOS or Android, you can switch anytime.

Me? Well I can't. I'm already deep down into the rabbit hole. Getting out means I have to replace many things. Meh, rather just keep buying a new iPhone when I need one.
Ya i get what your saying about the ecosystem and being tied to other ios devices and services, it's just apple is not leading in any department now, not like it was. There is nothing on the horizon that you could say, omg, this September is basically an s upgrade with the x plus as well as the budget one, the innovation that came from vivo and the find x should be something like what apple should have done

Sackofnickels

Suspended
Jul 13, 2018
Well I hope, it's a good thing to have Siri and Apple Music to work with Google hardware, and vice versa. But Apple and Google is way too proud for that. And both are big enough to control the market, can't see that "utopia" happens anytime soon.

You never know. I remember how shocked everyone was when Steve told us that Macs could run Windows.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Ya i get what your saying about the ecosystem and being tied to other ios devices and services, it's just apple is not leading in any department now, not like it was. There is nothing on the horizon that you could say, omg, this September is basically an s upgrade with the x plus as well as the budget one, the innovation that came from vivo and the find x should be something like what apple should have done

With Apple, some things are always a bit slow. As things with 1080p iTunes, and 4K iTunes. Then there's also NFC, Apple Music, and HomePod speaker which came very late to the game.
But I love the stability and support that Apple gives to its product. Oppo, Vivo may have a revolutionary phone, but it will be short lived too. The support may not be good, by a few months they will come out with newer, cheaper phone and that shiny Find X will no longer have the full support from Oppo.

If I may switch to Android, I'd pick something like Google Pixel, which will get any update first, and maybe new features too. But that's me.

ibuyufo

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
Not to mention that the next batch of iPhones will have intel chipset which has slower LTE than Qualcom. It's a shame that Apple was once the leader in smartphone and when I say leader I mean innovation but now they lagged behind and are just making marginal improvements.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
As a phone I’m interested in it but not as a daily driver to replace my iPhone X or the X plus which I’ll be upgrading to. I have the S9 plus. I don’t really use the s pen so unless they announce something really good that hasn’t leaked I’m happy to upgrade to the iPhone X plus and keep my S9 plus.

There are a lot of high end android phones that are as good as it better than the iPhone from a hardware perspective. What keeps me on the iPhone is the ecosystem. I have a lot of other Apple devices and they work really well together. The iPhone is the most important part of the ecosystem for me so once I remove that the rest of it falls down.

But back to the note 9, with a lot of good features and have things my iPhone X and probably even the iPhone X plus won’t have. I think it will be a great phone but I probably won’t buy it.
[doublepost=1532756158][/doublepost]
Not to mention that the next batch of iPhones will have intel chipset which has slower LTE than Qualcom. It's a shame that Apple was once the leader in smartphone and when I say leader I mean innovation but now they lagged behind and are just making marginal improvements.
We only get the intel chip here in the UK and we get the exynos chip from Samsung so there isn’t any disparity here.
[doublepost=1532756332][/doublepost]
You can already use most of Google’s services on the iPhone. I think google want to put their services on as many platforms as possible.
[doublepost=1532756509][/doublepost]
The thing is that Apple was good at hardware and software, but now both are suffering, but over the last 2 years there is not much of a difference in speed to Android flagships, I mean is it really worth the upgrade for single core bragging rights, ios 12 not changed much sense ios 11, only notable things are notifications and the emoji thing for kids for next year at least. I mean what's actually better in current iPhones, it's not hardware, maybe software updates and the odd exclusive apps? Why am i thinking about a new X/X plus, for face Id that is not better than touch id and that bloody notch that bothers me before I even get an X/X plus?
There isn’t much changing in android P either. I think both Apple and google chose to refine things this year rather than add lots of new features. However the individual abdroid OEMs will probably add some new features to the update.

Reactions: daveathall

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
I’m not interested in a phablet or X+
With Apple, some things are always a bit slow. As things with 1080p iTunes, and 4K iTunes. Then there's also NFC, Apple Music, and HomePod speaker which came very late to the game.
But I love the stability and support that Apple gives to its product. Oppo, Vivo may have a revolutionary phone, but it will be short lived too. The support may not be good, by a few months they will come out with newer, cheaper phone and that shiny Find X will no longer have the full support from Oppo.

If I may switch to Android, I'd pick something like Google Pixel, which will get any update first, and maybe new features too. But that's me.

Though the Note 9 is beautiful, no doubt, I love my X and have no reason to switch.

I’m still not thrilled on the idea I’d have to wait 8 months on a major OS update which to me is realistically unimaginable.

Samsung recently upgraded S8’s to Oreo which was released in August 2017. I have a feeling it will be 8 months after Peppermint [P] is released before S9/Note9’s see update.

Maybe next round of phones....when Google pixel allows usage on Sprint OR Samsung updates on a timely manner.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Smartphones are just a "piece of the puzzle" nowadays. You just don't get the phone, you get the tablet, speaker, tv box, computer, and smart appliances to work with them. Sadly this is what Apple is good at, the whole ecosystem. If you're a type of guy who likes to mix and match things together, and don't care about which brand goes where, well just pick any phone you like, iOS or Android, you can switch anytime.

Me? Well I can't. I'm already deep down into the rabbit hole. Getting out means I have to replace many things. Meh, rather just keep buying a new iPhone when I need one. Maybe for a second phone if I need it so badly.
The last time I switched between android and iOS. The only Apple devices I had were an iPhone (stolen) and the Apple TV. So the switch even though prompted by the theft was an easy one to make because it was just swapping one Phone for another. Now like you im so heavily invested that it makes a switch difficult. Every year I buy the latest Samsung flagship with the intention to use it as a secondary phone but it doesn’t usually work even in a second phone capacity because it doesn’t fit in with my other devices.

Last edited:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Is there any people seriously considering the note 9 this time round, it will have good hardware for sure with notable upgrades, s pen/4000mah/stereo speakers, probably other things as well, I've got an 8 plus and I'm just not sure if I'm digging the x design ( notch/home bar). X plus is just bigger and will be heavier for sure, the thing is that this is the direction apple is going now.

I personally don't mind the notch. Granted, I'm waiting for the X Plus, but from day one the notch never bothered me. I'm happy to see Apple heading in the current direction ... taking some risks ( like the notch ) and I'd love to see some of that risk spill over into the portables line up. The MBP and the Mac Pro need some risk-taking love.

I'm not too tempted by the Note, but I have always wondered what it'd be like going back to an Android phone. I live in those few iOS apps that are iOS only such as iTunes, iWork, Scrivener, Adobe CC apps, etc.

I think the time has come already. Save for a handful, most apps are cross-platform. The apps that aren't are very very niche and/or Apple made. MS Office, Wunderlist, Google's apps, many popular games, etc are cross platform.

For the phone anyway. Even when I was an Android user I knew the tablet apps were trash.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

To me, nothing what you listed really is ‘notable’ about the Note 9 (And the iPhone has excellent stereo speakers as well since the iPhone 7), but what we will be notable, is if Samsung ia able to implement successfully the fingerprint reader under the display which has been rumored. That aside, I really don’t think you’re going to find too many iOS users willing to migrate towards the Note 9 because of hardware tweaks, because they’re choosing the platform loyalty with iOS and Android, not the hardware.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

Yeah but without the notch phones look pretty dated, plus the curved display.

I don’t see any hardware advantages to note over the iPhone. It does have a larger battery but it’s quite thirsty compared to the iPhone.

I’m getting the Xplus.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I might get both the Note 9 and iPhone x Plus this year. The Note line brings things to the table no other phone typically does. That S-Pen stereo speakers and 4000 mAh battery Then add in SD Card and base storage starting at 128GB!
It should be a beast of a phone!

Sackofnickels

Suspended
Jul 13, 2018
I personally don't mind the notch. Granted, I'm waiting for the X Plus, but from day one the notch never bothered me. I'm happy to see Apple heading in the current direction ... taking some risks ( like the notch ) and I'd love to see some of that risk spill over into the portables line up. The MBP and the Mac Pro need some risk-taking love.

I'm not too tempted by the Note, but I have always wondered what it'd be like going back to an Android phone. I live in those few iOS apps that are iOS only such as iTunes, iWork, Scrivener, Adobe CC apps, etc.

I think the time has come already. Save for a handful, most apps are cross-platform. The apps that aren't are very very niche and/or Apple made. MS Office, Wunderlist, Google's apps, many popular games, etc are cross platform.

For the phone anyway. Even when I was an Android user I knew the tablet apps were trash.

What I meant was software that would allow an Android user to stream video to an Apple TV or utilize Airplay, send and receive iMessages and video across iOS or Android, the ability to use FaceTime with Skype, software that would allow calendars and address books to sync across Google, iCloud, Outlook or whatever. I occasionally hear about software offering some of those features now, but it's only a matter of time before it's common place.

When that happens the eco system excuse for using all Apple or all Android will be moot. It will then be up to the best and most innovative hardware getting the customers. Still brand loyalty will be a factor so who knows.

Reactions: Digital Skunk

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
I might get both the Note 9 and iPhone x Plus this year. The Note line brings things to the table no other phone typically does. That S-Pen stereo speakers and 4000 mAh battery Then add in SD Card and base storage starting at 128GB!
It should be a beast of a phone!

Don’t be fooled by a larger battery spec which doesn’t equal to longer battery life when the CPU guzzles power.

iPhone X and 8’s smaller battery has better battery ife span due to better CPU architecture [A11] that sips power in comparison to S9 Snapdragon 845 and Samsung’s Exynos which is even is worse at power consumptio than 845. I don’t expect any different from the Note 9 carrying same mobile CPU’s.

In layman‘s terms, the problem is the S9 CPU doesn’t know how to idle when not doing anything.

https://www.cnet.com/news/galaxy-s9-battery-life-isnt-as-good-as-we-had-hoped/

iPhone X has stero speakers too.

As for storage, Note 9 wins with upgradeable SD card. No debate here.

Note 9 lovely display is obviously brilliant.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Don’t be fooled by a larger battery spec which doesn’t equal to longer battery life when the CPU guzzles power.

iPhone X and 8’s smaller battery has better life span due to better CPU architecture that sips power in comparison to S9 Snapdragon 845 and Samsung’s Exynos which is even is worse at power consumptio than 845. I don’t expect any different from the Note 9 carrying same mobile CPU’s.

https://www.cnet.com/news/galaxy-s9-battery-life-isnt-as-good-as-we-had-hoped/

iPhone X has stero speakers too.

As for storage, Note 9 wins with upgradeable SD card. No debate here.

Note 9 lovely display is obviously brilliant.
I guess we have to wait and see how it performs. Sometimes battery life can be so variable between users. The only Samsung phones I’ve heard people really bragging about the battery life was the note 2 and the S7 edge. The note 2 I never owned but many said it was an absolute beast. The S7 edge I did own for 3 months and I thought it had good battery life and was comparable to my iPhone 6S plus at that point in time. Obviously I only used it for 3 months so I can’t say how it would have performed over time.

I’m expecting that the X plus will have a bigger battery than the current X so should be an improvement. Hoping for it to return to the battery life of the plus iPhones. The X doesn’t have a bad battery life just not as good as the pluses. I think the best battery I’ve ever used on any phone was the 6 plus. That thing was an absolute champ. Everyone was saying it was good and it really was.

If you are on the fence then it’s probably better to wait until the note 9, next gen iPhones and even the pixel 3 comes out before deciding. Unless of course you have already picked your ecosystem and know which one you want or you are ok with having more than one phone.

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.