Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Don’t be fooled by a larger battery spec which doesn’t equal to longer battery life when the CPU guzzles power.

iPhone X and 8’s smaller battery has better life span due to better CPU architecture [A11] that sips power in comparison to S9 Snapdragon 845 and Samsung’s Exynos which is even is worse at power consumptio than 845. I don’t expect any different from the Note 9 carrying same mobile CPU’s.

https://www.cnet.com/news/galaxy-s9-battery-life-isnt-as-good-as-we-had-hoped/

iPhone X has stero speakers too.

As for storage, Note 9 wins with upgradeable SD card. No debate here.

Note 9 lovely display is obviously brilliant.
i am well aware of how power is consumed on smartphones. The display is what consumes the most power. I expect the battery life to be better on the Note 9 than the Note 8 and S9. Samsung will evolve the phone and gain little battery life improvements and the 4000 mAh battery will help too :)
Then I had the S9+ and the battery life in my usage was the same as the iphone X i use now.

But my iPhone X battery life is not the same as the 8 Plus it replaced. I will say that little by little battery life on the iPhones I have had has not been what they were in the past. I used to be able to go almost 2 days between a charge. Now I have to charge everyday.

Then Im not here to debate the merits of one versus the other....it always turns into some kind of war here.

They both have very good points and bad points. It really comes down to use preferences.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
i am well aware of how power is consumed on smartphones. The display is what consumes the most power. I expect the battery life to be better on the Note 9 than the Note 8 and S9. Samsung will evolve the phone and gain little battery life improvements and the 4000 mAh battery will help too :)
Then I had the S9+ and the battery life in my usage was the same as the iphone X i use now.

But my iPhone X battery life is not the same as the 8 Plus it replaced. I will say that little by little battery life on the iPhones I have had has not been what they were in the past. I used to be able to go almost 2 days between a charge. Now I have to charge everyday.

Then Im not here to debate the merits of one versus the other....it always turns into some kind of war here.

They both have very good points and bad points. It really comes down to use preferences.
We just have to wait and see but with it being bigger it should be better than the note 8 and S9 plus.

I agree to a certain extent about iPhone batteries. The 3G and the iPhone 4 were pretty pants and I had to recharge them at least once during the day.

iPhone 5S I returned after 28 days because amongst other things the battery life was not good enough, particularly when at the time I could get Samsung phones with removable batteries.

The 6 plus was a beast. Probably the best phone I’ve owned for battery life. The 6S plus and 7 plus were not as good
as good as the 6 plus. About the same as each other but both were better than the iPhone X.

My S9 plus I don’t find to be bad. It seems to be good enough. I’ve never really put it next to my X and compared it.

My note 8 thinking back was probably comparable to the 7 plus I had at the time. I know the note 8 is an improvement on what went before because my husband has mentioned on more than one occasion that it’s better than the battery life on his S6 edge plus.

The only phones I’ve been impressed with their battery lives are the iPhone 6 Plus and the S7 edge.

Early iPhones (3G and 4) and original galaxy note were bad. The rest have been good enough.

Back on topic we just have to wait and see. I’m looking forward to the note 9 unpacked event including any accessories they might announce. The new galaxy watch if that’s what it’s called looks nice in rose gold.

I’m also curious to see how the tab S4 works with DeX.

My husband has suddenly started using his S pen again and now I feel a bit jealous:D

Reactions: jamezr

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I’ve been a long time Samsung apologist. The s9 was the first galaxy s I didn’t per order. The note 8 is a great phone, and the note 9 will probably be 1a or 1b in terms of 2018 phone of the year. Pixel 3xl, note 9 and x plus will all be incredible phones.

I just can’t go back to any phone that doesn’t work with my Apple Watch. I went from never having a smart watch to basing my $1000 phone purchase on if it works with my watch or not. If apple allowed you to use your watch with an android phone seamlessly, I can’t say for sure if I would even own an iPhone. That Apple Watch blows away any other smart watch. But when it comes to phones? Oneplus, LG, Samsung, google, Motorola and some other android brands are really strong now days. The specs you get on the oneplus 6 for $5xx are crazy. A lot of people who dislike android have only used the $99 throwaway android phones and think they all lag and run like crap. I’m not saying I miss android, but it’s definitely on par with iOS and has been for a few years now.

LG V40
Oneplus 6T
Note 9
Pixel 3
Pixel 3 XL
Motorola One Power

All of these upcoming phones have my interest, and all of them are very solid phones. If you have an interest in phones and some extra money, it makes sense to own an iPhone and an android phone.

Eduardmc

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
i just cam from owning a galaxy s8 plus, pixel 2 xl, note 8, galaxy s9+. now to an iphone x. not sure why anyone would compare iphone to android phone. 2 different eco system. why does almost no one compare imac to laptop. 2 different eco system/OS. i like both eco system and have invested money on both(android/ios). i would never consider a mac not because they are bad, just because is a different eco system, i dont even know how to use or do simple task like to delete a file. the past 20 years i have been windows diehard. all my apps/games have been purchase for windows so going to mac is like starting new again. an imac could be the best laptop around and i would not even comsider it. the same could be said for people with android or iphone.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
i just cam from owning a galaxy s8 plus, pixel 2 xl, note 8, galaxy s9+. now to an iphone x. not sure why anyone would compare iphone to android phone. 2 different eco system. why does almost no one compare imac to laptop. 2 different eco system/OS. i like both eco system and have invested money on both(android/ios). i would never consider a mac not because they are bad, just because is a different eco system, i dont even know how to use or do simple task like to delete a file. the past 20 years i have been windows diehard. all my apps/games have been purchase for windows so going to mac is like starting new again. an imac could be the best laptop around and i would not even comsider it. the same could be said for people with android or iphone.
Pc to Apple is nothing like android to iOS. It’s easy to compare phones because they’re all pretty close together in terms of specs. It comes down to how you like each manufacturer and how they tweak their android system. Pretty much all top android phones will have a snapdragon 845 and 4-6gb of ram. It’s only natural for people to compare a pixel to an iPhone or a Samsung user wondering if they would be happier on an iPhone.

The real issue is that ALL iPhones are of the highest quality, but the vast majority of android phones are $250 or less and are meant to be prepay phones for people who don’t care about the latest specs. Too many people used their moms $199 android phone and said it’s a pos so therefore ALL androids are crap. Most people on here would happily use a pixel 2xl, oneplus 6 or an lg v30. They’re nothing like the “free” android phones you get on boost mobile and services like that.

Eduardmc

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Pc to Apple is nothing like android to iOS. It’s easy to compare phones because they’re all pretty close together in terms of specs. It comes down to how you like each manufacturer and how they tweak their android system. Pretty much all top android phones will have a snapdragon 845 and 4-6gb of ram. It’s only natural for people to compare a pixel to an iPhone or a Samsung user wondering if they would be happier on an iPhone.

The real issue is that ALL iPhones are of the highest quality, but the vast majority of android phones are $250 or less and are meant to be prepay phones for people who don’t care about the latest specs. Too many people used their moms $199 android phone and said it’s a pos so therefore ALL androids are crap. Most people on here would happily use a pixel 2xl, oneplus 6 or an lg v30. They’re nothing like the “free” android phones you get on boost mobile and services like that.

really. iphone use a way different cpu l/gpu than any other android. while mac/pc use the same cpu/gpu/ram/hardrive. basically u can run windows 10 on mac and most laptop u can hakintosh... cant do this with ios to android. dont get u there

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Macs are not hard to use. Up until 2015 I’d only ever used windows machines. After having my latest windows laptop spectacularly fail after only 3 years I decided to try a MacBook for the first time. It’s very intuitive and I learnt how to use it very quickly.

I suppose some people might find using something new quite off putting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 44267547

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
really. iphone use a way different cpu l/gpu than any other android. while mac/pc use the same cpu/gpu/ram/hardrive. basically u can run windows 10 on mac and most laptop u can hakintosh... cant do this with ios to android. dont get u there
The benchmarks are all similar, and most top tier phones have similar cameras. It comes down to how much customization means to you. Not saying an android could run iOS or vice versa. People will always cross shop android phones with iPhones.

Techman82

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2016
I think stereo speakers are a great feature on a phone, the note 8 didn't have stereo speakers and I think after the 7 plus had them it might have held people back from buying, also the note 8 had good battery life according to reviewers, so with a big increase in battery with the note 9 and new internals you would expect Savage battery life. It just seems to me of late that Samsung is listening to customers needs and wants more than apple, example, a few years back there was a kinda poll done to see what people wanted most from the new iPhone, and it was bigger battery, but what did apple do, put in a taptic engine for 3d touch that took up extra room, offering less battery capacity and also the removal of headphone jack.

Reactions: koigirl

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I think stereo speakers are a great feature on a phone, the note 8 didn't have stereo speakers and I think after the 7 plus had them it might have held people back from buying, also the note 8 had good battery life according to reviewers, so with a big increase in battery with the note 9 and new internals you would expect Savage battery life. It just seems to me of late that Samsung is listening to customers needs and wants more than apple, example, a few years back there was a kinda poll done to see what people wanted most from the new iPhone, and it was bigger battery, but what did apple do, put in a taptic engine for 3d touch that took up extra room, offering less battery capacity and also the removal of headphone jack.

Look at the s9, if Samsung gave thier fans what they wanted then sales wouldn’t be this bad, it’s 2012 bad.

I believe the note 9 will be another disappointment for Samsung.

I think Apple is giving its users exactly what they want, and sales prove it.

Reactions: m0sher

Eduardmc

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Macs are not hard to use. Up until 2015 I’d only ever used windows machines. After having my latest windows laptop spectacularly fail after only 3 years I decided to try a MacBook for the first time. It’s very intuitive and I learnt how to use it very quickly.

I suppose some people might find using something new quite off putting.
this is one of my point. is not that i dont like mac. is just i dont know how to use it and dont have the urge to since i have in my house 3 pcs. if i was in the situation that i must use a mac. maybe for lightroom or coding then ofcourse withing a day i would learn but has of right now i dont have ANY reason to sit and learn mac.

my point been that i have invested so many years in windows with app and games that i NEED to have my windows os to run my everyday app.

Txguy82

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2016
I'm definitely considering jumping ship and moving on. I know I'm not a big fan of Samsung skin and prefer iOS but the Note 9 specs are amazing.

My main 3 reasons to switch are 1. Storage, 2. Camera and 3. Battery

What are you previous Android user thoughts?
>I don't want pro Apple members opinions on not to do it or I'll regret it, etc.

Besides lack of updates and lag issue, what other issues should I be concerned about if I switch?

I'm switching to Sprint and 50% off the phone promotion right now. Perfect time to switch over for my wife & I since her iPhone 7 is maxed out at 32 gb

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
On a positive note Samsung have sorted out the lag issues so thats one thing you don't need to worry about. Don't listen to any of the hardcore Apple fans on this site that say otherwise, they have zero idea what they are talking about.

Reactions: koigirl and Txguy82

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I have to admit, I’m finding myself tempted by the Note 9 as well. Just not sure I can handle my carrier (Verizon) controlling my updates.

Reactions: Txguy82

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I'm definitely considering jumping ship and moving on. I know I'm not a big fan of Samsung skin and prefer iOS but the Note 9 specs are amazing.

My main 3 reasons to switch are 1. Storage, 2. Camera and 3. Battery

What are you previous Android user thoughts?
>I don't want pro Apple members opinions on not to do it or I'll regret it, etc.

Besides lack of updates and lag issue, what other issues should I be concerned about if I switch?

I'm switching to Sprint and 50% off the phone promotion right now. Perfect time to switch over for my wife & I since her iPhone 7 is maxed out at 32 gb

Issues to be concerned about:
- Higher depreciation (if you somehow expect a smartphone to hold considerable value over time - You probably should not even be buying a +$400 smartphone if this is a major concern)
- No iMessage - it seems some cannot even breathe without this, so if you have a lot of friends and family who only use iMessage I would suggest dropping the Android idea altogether OR getting the most important people in your life to use other Platform agnostic message apps like WhatsApp, BBM, Google Allo etc...
- Less Smooth integration in to the Apple ecosystem - You will not be left out in the cold but at the same time, you will not have the same sort of seamless integration in to other Apple products that you have, and even the Apple Music app on Android is pretty rubbish and a bit of a pain to use sometimes

On the brightside you gain incredible amounts of functionality, some of it you may never use or may not use often but it's great to have it when the need arises.

I own a Note8, and there's literally no other phone other than the Note9 that does everything the Note8 does, it feels like you have a Swiss Army Knife in your pocket, no matter what you come across the Note has you covered; e.g. having to sign Media Owner contracts, most people at work have to print, sign and then scan and send, with my Note8 I just download, whip out the SPen, sign and send back within 5mins.

It's really great having a phone that is not so limiting or compromising. E.g.:
- If I need more Memory I buy a larger Memory Card
- If I want to listen to music and I forgot to charge my BT Headphones (I often forget), I don't have to fiddle with some stupid adapter, my Note8 has a 3.5mm jack, I just plug and play
- if I need a storage device I just plug my Note8 into any computer and throw what I need into it without having to install any extra software.
- if I need a quick charge up I turn On Fast Charging, plug in for like 30mins and I have enough battery for the day.
- Even the Wireless Charging is fast
- Having a File System I can manage is great, my phone becomes more like a PC iny pocket, in actual fact I only really use my laptop at work, a lot of stuff I can just do on my Note8 be it annotations on marketing creatives we are working on, putting togwther marketing strategies across PowerPoint and Excel etc etc etc... the huge Display and SPen just do a great job of taking the device to a whole new league of function and productivity, that you can only get on a premium tablet.

The Note9 gives you the above in a newer and more refined package. :)

Reactions: koigirl

Mabsport

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
United Kingdom
I am a Apple user Macbook Pro, Ipad and Macmini but just sold my Note 8 to possibly go back to an iPhone. I sold the X as it gave me massive eye strain and head aches, anyway

The note series is an amazing phone if you want to tweak and fiddle with everything. Also the storage options are way more generous than Apples. To help if you are transferring from either platforms use google pics and chrome on your phone and put the same apps on the new device and everything will still be there. It takes the pain out of how to transfer stuff. When I sold my X I bought the Note 8 brand new for £899 and just sold it for £480 7 months later so its a big loss. It took a few weeks to be happy and you will miss some things Apple. My plan was to see how the note 9 was and the new iPhone's before I decided.

A pain with Android was to many notifications and sounds, waiting forever for system updates and also stuff resetting to default after they are applied. But as a high end phone its amazing if you want android.

The Note 9 for me isnt worth the upgrade from the 8 so I will see what Apple come up with.

Reactions: timeconsumer

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Tempted I am, but the price for the upgraded model is a downer ( esp with the ginormous downpayment that TMobile requires, regardless of my stellar credit and duration of service )

Techman82

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2016
An ipen type of thing would be good for the odd time you'd need it, with some Bluetooth capable pen like the recent s n 9, for the upcoming iphone X plus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.